Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

RumbleFish posted:

I do too, actually. If the intention was to sneak a bunch of Tennessees in there, that's kinda cool. Only thing that bugs me is the two Ns being different.

Here's a neat time-lapse gif someone made of the W-B construction, which shows better than anything else how much of a disaster the surrounding area used to be:

Seems pretty appropriate for the pre-Spurrier Gamecocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Pakled posted:

Seems pretty appropriate for the pre-Spurrier Gamecocks.

Yeah. It's one thing to have an off-campus stadium -- which is already kinda lame in and of itself -- but it's quite another to have an off-campus stadium in the middle of an industrial dump. I'm forever grateful the university decided to throw its weight around and take over that land.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Cardale just can't stop putting his foot in his mouth on Twitter

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/cardale-jones-female-sports-fans-hacked/263570

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Ultra-talented football player tweets dumb poo poo then claims he was hacked.

* - I'm more concerned about "those wasn't" in his follow-up tweet.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

RumbleFish posted:

I do too, actually. If the intention was to sneak a bunch of Tennessees in there, that's kinda cool. Only thing that bugs me is the two Ns being different.

Here's a neat time-lapse gif someone made of the W-B construction, which shows better than anything else how much of a disaster the surrounding area used to be:

I've been to WBS twice (2002 and 2004) and the industrial stank of the place was always what got to me. Glad y'all have cleaned it up.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Hmm, a guy who once tweeted that he isn't at Ohio State to play school might, in fact, be a dumbass. Huh.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qKlZELdJh8

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Thoguh posted:

Hmm, a guy who once tweeted that he isn't at Ohio State to play school might, in fact, be a dumbass. Huh.

It's not like he was wrong.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Boring off-season post incoming:

Typically I feel like I'm 21 most days. But thanks to my uncle, who is a family archivist of sorts, I was reminded of my actual age today.

The social pages of old in the Tuscaloosa News are a bit of a riot to read. I love the "town" correction too.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Former UAB safety died in a car crash. He had transferred to WKU. Kid was only 19 and was a passenger in the car :(

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2015/06/former_uab_football_player_die.html

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Spintzel posted:

Former UAB safety died in a car crash. He had transferred to WKU. Kid was only 19 and was a passenger in the car :(

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2015/06/former_uab_football_player_die.html

That picture of the scene. Goddamn.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

That picture of the scene. Goddamn.

It's amazing how aggressively cars explode in some accidents.

Sometimes it's hard to even recognize the form factor of the vehicle. But they're safer than ever.

I went to a lady that went 80+ backwards into a 3' wide pine tree on the interstate and had a slight headache and no injuries. The entire passenger compartment exploded in airbags, including below the dash (for her knees), b-pillar and curtain airbags.

It was pretty remarkable.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Spintzel posted:

He was young enough to come back, and was one of the stars on the team. :(

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

LeeMajors posted:

Sometimes it's hard to even recognize the form factor of the vehicle. But they're safer than ever.

I went to a lady that went 80+ backwards into a 3' wide pine tree on the interstate and had a slight headache and no injuries. The entire passenger compartment exploded in airbags, including below the dash (for her knees), b-pillar and curtain airbags.

Ryan Dunn's wreck was incredible. I realize the speeds he was driving and the car he was in but it still terrifies me how little of that car was left.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

Ryan Dunn's wreck was incredible. I realize the speeds he was driving and the car he was in but it still terrifies me how little of that car was left.

When you get to exotics like what Dunn was driving, and I am going to put the Porsche 911 GT3 in exotic category, they work sort of like race cars do where the method of energy displacement goes from crumple zone to poo poo explodes off by design and you have a reenforced tub of a seating area to (hopefully) keep you safe. At 130, there is going lots of exploding happening. With that said, it can be surprising at how much of a beating a car can take before it becomes totally unsafe, bad luck non-withstanding. Sometimes you get hit the right way and it doesn't matter what engineering goes in to the safety features and you end up like Maclin :smith:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
UAB needs to buy an on campus stadium with the movie rights, pretty sure "and the star player dies in a car crash" was the one general cliche that they were missing.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

LeeMajors posted:

My wife rolled our envoy at 70-75 MPH a few months ago. She walked away without a scratch, had there been a passenger they would be dead.

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 6, 2015

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Ultra-talented football player tweets dumb poo poo then claims he was hacked.

* - I'm more concerned about "those wasn't" in his follow-up tweet.

Truth in advertising. He did NOT come to Columbus to play school, merely win games.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Former Hillsdale coach and current Northwood coach Pat Riepma is entering hospice after a battle with lung cancer. He was certainly a guy, who coached football.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Regnevelc posted:

My wife rolled our envoy at 70-75 MPH a few months ago. She walked away without a scratch, had their been a passenger they would be dead.

Most fatalities I see now are from compartment intrusion (I'm guessing that's what happened to her passenger seat) or ejection. People rarely just die instantly from impact inside the vehicle.

Gone are the days when a group of teenagers would meet their end on a metal dashboard--then you could hose the car out and sell it relatively unscathed.

The most incredible one I saw was a little BMW 2-seat convertible that struck a tree on a rural 2 lane road doing 80 or so. Double ejection (no seatbelts) with one fatality.

His tie was 40 feet up in the tree over our heads (they were coming back from a wedding).

The vehicle was a gnarled mass of twisted metal about 100 yards up from where the patients were, and the only recognizable features were the dual roll-bars.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

LeeMajors posted:

Most fatalities I see now are from compartment intrusion (I'm guessing that's what happened to her passenger seat) or ejection. People rarely just die instantly from impact inside the vehicle.

Yeah, she rolled it on that corner and the driver side rear corner.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

Borrowing this for his DotY write up.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Tennessee got a commitment from Jeff George today. I'd take it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Tennessee got a commitment from Jeff George today. I'd take it.

I thought he exhausted his eligibility long ago.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

LeeMajors posted:

NFL unis used to be sponsored by loving Champion?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

LeeMajors posted:

I didn't know Jason Segel played football.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

NFL unis used to be sponsored by loving Champion?

It was a different and confusing time for everyone.

I might be remembering this wrong, but I think there was once a time that Starter had NFL jerseys.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Sash! posted:

I might be remembering this wrong, but I think there was once a time that Starter had NFL jerseys.

Starter made UF unis until 97 or so. I still have that first Gator head logo hat Nike made. It's pretty gross by now though.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Sash! posted:

It was a different and confusing time for everyone.

The NFL didn't have a set contract with any manufacturer so teams had jerseys from a number of different sponsors. The NFL Equipment contract with Reebok in 2002 or whenever changed all this until they ultimately changed to Nike.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
This guy

Did a Cool Thing

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Forever the Sickest Kicks

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Would tackling him mid-backflip be considered roughing the kicker

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

If you do this in an actual game you should get 27 points.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

He needs to backflip kick his barber in the face.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scarf posted:

He needs to backflip kick his barber in the face.

What barber

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Kick in a 100mph crosswind?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Look like a douche all day with that haircut?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Is this some kind of arms race with Bama Bangs after they didn't get Saban

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher gets a 3 year extension.

MACTION, BITCH :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bob Diaco has started a rivalry with UCF because.... reasons. UCF wasn't even aware of it.

• Locked thread