Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Knowing the exact play is almost impossible.

Unless you were a fan of Penn State between 2003 and 2010. Then you and everyone else on the field knew exactly what was about to happen.

In the legendary 6-4 game, Iowa's defensive line was telling the PSU offensive line what the play was before the snap :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

El Seano posted:

All this talk of 3-4 and 4-3 and the endless, endless stream of poo poo QB's yell before they hike the ball is so confusing.

Quarterback audibles are for when the quarterback sees something in the defense and decides to change the play. So the yelling communicates the different protection/blocking scheme to the line and the new responsibilities to the skill position players. Of course, the quarterback might just leave the play as is and yell nonsense for a while to confuse the defense. There's typically a word that signifies a genuine audible, which makes this similar to the funky card system.

For example, the word of the week could be RED, so when Tony Romo is going "WHITE 80, RED 18" the offense knows that "RED 18" is the real audible. There's other layers to this -- people still aren't sure what Peyton's "OMAHA" really does. When the crowd is really loud, it makes it more difficult for the quarterback to audible and therefore for the offense to execute properly.

Now, if the defense knows how your audible system works, like in the Bucs-Raiders Super Bowl, they then know your plays. This results in disaster for the offense and signifies complete failure by the coaching staff.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Now, if the defense knows how your audible system works, like in the Bucs-Raiders Super Bowl, they then know your plays. This results in disaster for the offense and signifies complete failure by the coaching staff.

That game was amazing

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Sash! posted:

Unless you were a fan of Penn State between 2003 and 2010. Then you and everyone else on the field knew exactly what was about to happen.

In the legendary 6-4 game, Iowa's defensive line was telling the PSU offensive line what the play was before the snap :v:

This happened to the 49ers near the end of Singletary's tenure.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
Two questions:

1. Could you guys give me some details on other famous footballing families except the Mannings? It always interests me families having multiple successful athletes like Gasol brothers in the NBA.

2. I'm obsessed with the draft and all things draft related and will read anything you guys throw at me regarding it (seriously I've got about 4 longform articles queued up). Also anything about NCAA recruitment would be awesome too. I read this absolutely fascinating article about how the colleges recruit from high school which was partly the catalyst for me getting interested in football in the first place:

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2015/1/29/7915749/national-signing-day-2015-profile-minkah-fitzpatrick-brandon-wimbush

It follows Minkah Fitzpatrick and Brandon Wimbush who were both four (or five I forget) star recruits out of high school and it astounded me the pressure and workload put on these kids who aren't even old enough to drink over there. I'll take anything you guys have on the draft or recruitment, the longer and more in depth the better. I'm reading through the threads we have that revisit old drafts and they're great too but I figured you guys would have more for me.

Thanks guys.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Phoneposting, so I don't have much detail, but this is a good place to start.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_family_relations_in_American_football

The Matthews family in particular is staggering. So much talent, and they still have more future NFL players coming. Someone post the pic of the 8th grade Matthews member who is bigger than his lineman brother, please.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chichevache posted:

Phoneposting, so I don't have much detail, but this is a good place to start.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_family_relations_in_American_football

The Matthews family in particular is staggering. So much talent, and they still have more future NFL players coming. Someone post the pic of the 8th grade Matthews member who is bigger than his lineman brother, please.

Apparently Marshawn Lynch and Jamarcus Russell are cousins.

:stare:

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Ross Angeles posted:

Apparently Marshawn Lynch and Jamarcus Russell are cousins.

:stare:

I always find it odd that Nick Young from the Lakers is cousins with Kendrick Lamar. I think that's part of the appeal of this stuff for me, like how much success can one family get? It's kind of like how Jon Jones brother or something just won a superbowl as well. That's some loving good genes.

Edit: Also I wanted Champ Bailey to his actual birthname so badly. Even more so when I saw his brother was called Boss Bailey.

Never knew the Mannings dad played ball too, that's some loving pass yardage in that one family.

El Seano fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 8, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

El Seano posted:

Never knew the Mannings dad played ball too, that's some loving pass yardage in that one family.

what

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

He's not from here

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Metapod posted:

That game was amazing

Actually, it was not.

He was pretty forgettable all in all. 30 years from now when the buttfumble is long forgotten and Mark Sanchez's kids are owning the league, I'd forgive people for not knowing Mark Sanchez played football.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

El Seano posted:

Two questions:

1. Could you guys give me some details on other famous footballing families except the Mannings? It always interests me families having multiple successful athletes like Gasol brothers in the NBA.

You should check out the Colquitts. They are a line of punters that have always gone to Tennessee. Some of them even made it to the NFL.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Volkerball posted:

Actually, it was not.

He was pretty forgettable all in all. 30 years from now when the buttfumble is long forgotten and Mark Sanchez's kids are owning the league, I'd forgive people for not knowing Mark Sanchez played football.

He was the best Saints QB before Brees. So yeah, pretty forgettable.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am not surprised Archie Manning is forgettable, its more that he is always brought up when announcers discuss the brothers Manning

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jerome Agricola posted:

He was the best Saints QB before Brees. So yeah, pretty forgettable.

The only reason I knew him was from an old VHS of football follies, and that dude was all over it.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
So, contract hold-outs, just how common are they? Finishing off the Jets Hard Knocks with the Revis hold out it just seems so odd to me that a dude can say "nah gently caress your contract" until they pay him more then waltz back into the huddle with no hard feelings at all. Doesn't it ever cause problems within the squad when this stuff happens?

It's odd how it works in the NFL with this I feel because in the NBA they'd just force a trade since I'm pretty sure you can't renegotiate a contract and usually the player drags their own name through the mud doing it. The same applies for football (or soccer as you'd call it) here. When a player forces a team to pay him more it usually comes with a poo poo storm of bad PR for the player involved and that's the rare occasion that he's a big enough name to not just get sold.

Don't fans ever turn on a player for doing this stuff?

Thanks for the answers so far btw guys, there just seems so much to this sport that seems foreign to me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Fans turn on guys for it all the time, usually saying they're putting themselves ahead of THE TEAM and WINNING. Then they forget about it because it turns out that paying your best players is often important to having a winning team.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

El Seano posted:

So, contract hold-outs, just how common are they? Finishing off the Jets Hard Knocks with the Revis hold out it just seems so odd to me that a dude can say "nah gently caress your contract" until they pay him more then waltz back into the huddle with no hard feelings at all. Doesn't it ever cause problems within the squad when this stuff happens?

It's odd how it works in the NFL with this I feel because in the NBA they'd just force a trade since I'm pretty sure you can't renegotiate a contract and usually the player drags their own name through the mud doing it. The same applies for football (or soccer as you'd call it) here. When a player forces a team to pay him more it usually comes with a poo poo storm of bad PR for the player involved and that's the rare occasion that he's a big enough name to not just get sold.

Don't fans ever turn on a player for doing this stuff?
They do to some extent, but really the team has so much leverage and the player has so little I don't blame the player, usually. NFL teams can say "nah gently caress your contract" AFTER THEY SIGNED IT, that is to say it's a "contract" only in the strict sense of the word. Other than the guaranteed money it's a "this is what we will pay you, unless we decide to cut you". Factor in the shortness of careers, the fact that their brains could become mush, they may have outperformed their rookie cookie-cutter contract with a team that drafted them, and that teams WILL lowball players, especially if they're in salary cap trouble.

If a team gives too generous a contract to an NBA or soccer or MLB player they're generally stuck with it. In the NFL holding-out is only an option for the big-time players, because teams hit hold-outs with fines for not reporting to minicamp and training camp and preseason games etc. etc., and because teams aren't afraid of losing the locker room or the fans if some special teamer tried it they would just say gently caress off and cut them.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Aside from the guaranteed money aspect of it, there is also the shelf life point of view. A rookie contract for a first rounder is 4 years, so for a top tier RB that is half his career or less. RB's hold out more often because they are so replaceable. They should play for their value, and someone like a 2nd or 3rd year Peterson, Bell, or Murray is a worth a lot more than they are paying. As a result, a RB really only gets one contract to make money while other positions get 2 or 3.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

swickles posted:

Aside from the guaranteed money aspect of it, there is also the shelf life point of view. A rookie contract for a first rounder is 4 years, so for a top tier RB that is half his career or less. RB's hold out more often because they are so replaceable. They should play for their value, and someone like a 2nd or 3rd year Peterson, Bell, or Murray is a worth a lot more than they are paying. As a result, a RB really only gets one contract to make money while other positions get 2 or 3.

Wow, RBs really play that little time? Outside of the QB which positions typically have the longest runs? I know kickers can play forever and a good QB will hit the 10 year mark quite easily right?

I can see the logic of holdouts a lot more with this in mind. Particularly with somebody like Peterson, playing for rookie scale money is kind of absurd when you're talking that could be half of your money you ever make.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

El Seano posted:

Wow, RBs really play that little time? Outside of the QB which positions typically have the longest runs? I know kickers can play forever and a good QB will hit the 10 year mark quite easily right?

I can see the logic of holdouts a lot more with this in mind. Particularly with somebody like Peterson, playing for rookie scale money is kind of absurd when you're talking that could be half of your money you ever make.

Just as a note the average NFL career is under 3 years. Yes that includes lots of guys who only get invited to camps and such, but even for some guys who see the field it is a very short time period.

And most other positions can put together long runs if the guy is good enough. RB is kinda alone in how short they tend to last, but the logic is the just get hit so hard and so often that their bodies just break down at a fast rate. Also a lot of these guys played 3-4 years in college which at the high levels is very intense too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

El Seano posted:

Kicking, punting, and long snapping. Still, even those become replaceable simply because it becomes cheaper to pay a young guy less to do the same job.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
WR/TE, everywhere in the trenches except for speed rushers, and corners/safeties seem to have the longest non-kicker/ST careers. Fairly common to see guys in the 35-38 range who can still play at those positions. WR especially seems to be a position where old guys who are one or two pro bowl appearance good and not first ballot HoF good manage to last a long time. You can find someone who played for loving ever at literally any position, it's just rarer in some. It mostly depends on finding ways to be successful that don't rely on athleticism. It's easy as a QB, but as a running back, you have to have an extremely rare quality of vision to be able to still gain positive yards a la Emmitt Smith and Frank Gore. DB's who aren't named Darrell Green (dude still runs a 4.4 :psyduck:) have to become deep safeties who use their intelligence and experience to be in the right place at the right time and make plays, and it's roughly the same but much harder for linebackers. Receivers have to find a way to win one on one matchups that don't rely on using speed to exploit a defender. It just depends on the players style and their injury history.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 10, 2015

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

swickles posted:

Kicking, punting, and long snapping. Still, even those become replaceable simply because it becomes cheaper to pay a young guy less to do the same job.
Just an aside, this isn't disagreeing with you at all: you also almost-inevitably have a bad stretch (even if it's just a stochastic thing) in those positions and unless you're really established coaches get tempted to switch you out at that point.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 15, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
How does this work?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Hughes#Death
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Lions#Retired_numbers

#85 Chuck Hughes

Is a number supposed to be retired only for players of that position?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm gonna go with "they forgot"

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

How does this work?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Hughes#Death
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Lions#Retired_numbers

#85 Chuck Hughes

Is a number supposed to be retired only for players of that position?

When did they retire 85?

If they retired it after Ebon had it, they won't make him change his number. Kinda like Mariano Rivera and #42

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ross Angeles posted:

When did they retire 85?

If they retired it after Ebon had it, they won't make him change his number. Kinda like Mariano Rivera and #42

They just got Ebron last year. I believe it's been retired for quite a while.

Then again they didn't retire 20 until the late 2000s.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed
Apologies if this isn't the right place, it seems like the best bet!

I just got my first football to throw around, a synthetic duke. It says on the side to inflate to 11-13 lbs of pressure but I don't have a gauge and googling for anything relating to football pressures is useless, which to my mind, is Brady's true crime in all of this.

So my question is: Is there any trick to estimating the pressure without a gauge, or does it just need to be very firm, or quite squashy, or some other description of how pumped up it's supposed to be?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

embarrasing tank posted:

Apologies if this isn't the right place, it seems like the best bet!

I just got my first football to throw around, a synthetic duke. It says on the side to inflate to 11-13 lbs of pressure but I don't have a gauge and googling for anything relating to football pressures is useless, which to my mind, is Brady's true crime in all of this.

So my question is: Is there any trick to estimating the pressure without a gauge, or does it just need to be very firm, or quite squashy, or some other description of how pumped up it's supposed to be?

Unless you're using it in an actual game where the score matters, just pump it up to where it's firm enough to hold its shape and fly properly, but will still give a bit when you hold it.

The object is to have fun playing the game. Pump it up to whatever pressure you like.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Unless you're using it in an actual game where the score matters, just pump it up to where it's firm enough to hold its shape and fly properly, but will still give a bit when you hold it.

The object is to have fun playing the game. Pump it up to whatever pressure you like.
IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT YOU PUMP IT UP TO THE RIGHT PRESSURE OR I WILL COME AND ARREST YOU THIS IS THE NFL POLICE AND I HAVE YOUR IP ADDRESS

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

El Seano posted:

Two questions:

2. I'm obsessed with the draft and all things draft related and will read anything you guys throw at me regarding it (seriously I've got about 4 longform articles queued up). Also anything about NCAA recruitment would be awesome too. I read this absolutely fascinating article about how the colleges recruit from high school which was partly the catalyst for me getting interested in football in the first place:

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2015/1/29/7915749/national-signing-day-2015-profile-minkah-fitzpatrick-brandon-wimbush

It follows Minkah Fitzpatrick and Brandon Wimbush who were both four (or five I forget) star recruits out of high school and it astounded me the pressure and workload put on these kids who aren't even old enough to drink over there. I'll take anything you guys have on the draft or recruitment, the longer and more in depth the better. I'm reading through the threads we have that revisit old drafts and they're great too but I figured you guys would have more for me.

Thanks guys.

For the dirty side of recruiting, look up the Pony Excess documentary and find the article on bagmen. I'd link it to you, but phone posting.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Kibner posted:

For the dirty side of recruiting, look up the Pony Excess documentary and find the article on bagmen. I'd link it to you, but phone posting.

Thanks for this, I'm going to watch it tomorrow night. It's crazy just how shady the whole thing can be yet it's essentially the most popular form of sport in America. The two documentaries about the university of Miami really drove that home.

Anyway I'm on a limb here but I'm watching the Kansas City season of Hard Knocks and saw this:

What does the "NFL:" text mean on the bottom right? I know this is probably a tough one to answer since it is probably only relevant to that particular coaching staff but I was wondering either way.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

El Seano posted:

Thanks for this, I'm going to watch it tomorrow night. It's crazy just how shady the whole thing can be yet it's essentially the most popular form of sport in America. The two documentaries about the university of Miami really drove that home.

Anyway I'm on a limb here but I'm watching the Kansas City season of Hard Knocks and saw this:

What does the "NFL:" text mean on the bottom right? I know this is probably a tough one to answer since it is probably only relevant to that particular coaching staff but I was wondering either way.

I believe it's years in the NFL. 11 years for Huard at that point, 2 for Croyle

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Ross Angeles posted:

I believe it's years in the NFL. 11 years for Huard at that point, 2 for Croyle

You know, its odd, that was my first assumption but I was thinking "How could a coaching staff not know how long their QB choices have been in the league?" It seems odd thats the information they need readily available.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

El Seano posted:

You know, its odd, that was my first assumption but I was thinking "How could a coaching staff not know how long their QB choices have been in the league?" It seems odd thats the information they need readily available.

I think to some extent it's just convention, someone started keeping track of things that way a long time ago and now everyone does it as a matter of course. A lot of times you'll see something like name, college they went to, years experience in the NFL. Like Brodie Croyle, Alabama, 2.

The college is even less important than years experience (arguably interesting for newer players) but they'll list that type of thing for Peyton Manning who's been in the league forever anyway.

There are some coaches who seem to have a ridiculous preference for veteran players--to the point of playing a guy who's just not physically capable of doing their job anymore rather than give a young guy their shot. I don't remember Herm Edwards being like that but maybe that's another reason they keep track.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

I think to some extent it's just convention, someone started keeping track of things that way a long time ago and now everyone does it as a matter of course. A lot of times you'll see something like name, college they went to, years experience in the NFL. Like Brodie Croyle, Alabama, 2.

The college is even less important than years experience (arguably interesting for newer players) but they'll list that type of thing for Peyton Manning who's been in the league forever anyway.

There are some coaches who seem to have a ridiculous preference for veteran players--to the point of playing a guy who's just not physically capable of doing their job anymore rather than give a young guy their shot. I don't remember Herm Edwards being like that but maybe that's another reason they keep track.

The first time I saw Herm Edwards he was doing a motivational speech to new players in the ESPN documentary "Broke". I was pretty surprised to learn he was a head coach at this level. He seems pretty likable but I'm reserving judgement for the moment.

Most of the head coaches of Hard Knocks teams have been surprisingly boring dudes. Rex Ryan was pretty interesting from what I recall, the dolphins coach *googles* Joe Philbin came across as just creepy as gently caress and surprisingly not very authoritative for a guy in his position. Marvin Lewis seemed okay too in the Bengals season. Most of the entertainment seems to come from the other coaches, the head coaches almost don't seem to do anything, that was something else to adapt to as an NBA fan, NFL teams have a coach for loving everything.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

El Seano posted:

The first time I saw Herm Edwards he was doing a motivational speech to new players in the ESPN documentary "Broke". I was pretty surprised to learn he was a head coach at this level. He seems pretty likable but I'm reserving judgement for the moment.

Herm was...not a particularly good NFL head coach, his high water mark was a couple of 10-6 seasons in five years with the Jets and he was terrible in KC. He didn't have much of a roster so take that into account, but he did as little as possible with what he did have.

He is likeable despite that, a lot of us want him to go coach in college because we think he would absolutely tear it up on recruiting trail and in college ball you can just out-talent the other guys and succeed even if you make terrible decisions all the time.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

He is likeable despite that, a lot of us want him to go coach in college because we think he would absolutely tear it up on recruiting trail and in college ball you can just out-talent the other guys and succeed even if you make terrible decisions all the time.

I want this to happen so bad now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Herm was...not a particularly good NFL head coach, his high water mark was a couple of 10-6 seasons in five years with the Jets and he was terrible in KC. He didn't have much of a roster so take that into account, but he did as little as possible with what he did have.

please come back to SDSU herm

• Locked thread