Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Turns out some of Giacchino's Jurassic World tracks are online and his typical cringeworthy pun-names aside, they definitely sound very Jurassic Park.

"As The Jurassic World Turns" & "Untitled Track"

Williams shining strongly through and I can't not enjoy the note-perfect, if uptempo version of the original theme in there after Davis butchered it for JP3.

"Nine to Survival Job"

Really liking this. Reminds me a lot of Williams' excellent score for Hook.

"The Park is Closed"

Short but sweet. Giacchino always does good piano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh my God, this is amazing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, it's the one I've listened to the most. It's too bad it's so short but if the rest of the score matches that it'll be something else. Giacchino's piano stuff always impresses, I think it's in the second Star Trek score where there's an absolutely stellar piano piece.

E: This is the one, it comes out of nowhere on the album and it's such an awesome surprise too.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 8, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, it's the one I've listened to the most. It's too bad it's so short but if the rest of the score matches that it'll be something else. Giacchino's piano stuff always impresses, I think it's in the second Star Trek score where there's an absolutely stellar piano piece.

E: This is the one, it comes out of nowhere on the album and it's such an awesome surprise too.

Yeah, I was really underwhelmed by his score on Star Trek 2009 but so much of his stuff for Into Darkness was incredible.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

If the movie opens with a variation of the "gently caress yes it's time to watch Jurassic Park!" music from my childhood, I'll be there.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Jurassic World soundtrack is out, and my first impressions so far are that it's up there with Giacchino's best and overall it's a huge love letter to the JP soundtrack. Loads of great Williams-y touches throughout.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

The Jurassic World soundtrack is out, and my first impressions so far are that it's up there with Giacchino's best and overall it's a huge love letter to the JP soundtrack. Loads of great Williams-y touches throughout.

I definitely think it's his best, on first listen. He has such a reverence for Williams' work and he makes the references and "Williams-y" touches seem organic and part of his own work, not just "oh hey here's Williams out of nowhere"

standouts (for me) include:

Nine to Survival Job
The Park is Closed

and I love the rework of Willams' work on the ending of Costa Rican Standoff

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

aBagorn posted:

I definitely think it's his best, on first listen. He has such a reverence for Williams' work and he makes the references and "Williams-y" touches seem organic and part of his own work, not just "oh hey here's Williams out of nowhere"

There are a few bits where it feels like he's recycling his Star Trek material, but the score by and large is amazing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

Yeah, I was really underwhelmed by his score on Star Trek 2009 but so much of his stuff for Into Darkness was incredible.

Star Trek 2009 is "I thought of one killer riff for this movie and by god if I'm not going to do it until we're all sick of it"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Star Trek 2009 is "I thought of one killer riff for this movie and by god if I'm not going to do it until we're all sick of it"

At least it's a great riff.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

aBagorn posted:

I've been one of the big Giacchino cheerleaders in the thread recently, but I have to admit that on my first listen, I didn't think his score for Jurassic World was that great. I'd definitely put it far behind both Tomorrowland and Jupiter Ascending, both of which were big, original, and full of great new thematic material.

I wonder how much of the positive reaction to the Jurassic World score so far is just nostalgia or familiarity with the old themes from Williams?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

To be fair, there are TWO killer riffs in it that are repeated over and over.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sith Happens posted:

I've been one of the big Giacchino cheerleaders in the thread recently, but I have to admit that on my first listen, I didn't think his score for Jurassic World was that great. I'd definitely put it far behind both Tomorrowland and Jupiter Ascending, both of which were big, original, and full of great new thematic material.

I wonder how much of the positive reaction to the Jurassic World score so far is just nostalgia or familiarity with the old themes from Williams?

I agree with you on this. The orchestrations aren't as interesting as up or the Incredibles, and the (new) themes are nowhere near any of his best.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Darko posted:

I agree with you on this. The orchestrations aren't as interesting as up or the Incredibles, and the (new) themes are nowhere near any of his best.

In fairness, he had Gordon Goodwin orchestrating a solid chunk of Incredibles, which, yeah. Goodwin is flat amazing as a Jazz composer/arranger.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I'm really hung up on this track from The Keep. Movie's not great but drat, this leads off the movie! Talk about a hook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEjSniEWeao

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Sith Happens posted:

I didn't love JA all that much on first listen, and I haven't listened to Tomorrowland at all yet, but you make a very good point. I'm probably high on nostalgia

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

aBagorn posted:

I didn't love JA all that much on first listen, and I haven't listened to Tomorrowland at all yet, but you make a very good point. I'm probably high on nostalgia

After listening to Jurassic World more over the last couple of days, I still don't think it's nearly as good as some of Giacchino's other recent work. But he has done a great job not only of reusing and reworking Williams' stuff from Jurassic Park, but emulating Williams styles in the score overall.

Especially on a couple of tracks that sound like they may include in-movle source music (I haven't seen JW yet, so I'm just guessing) - like "It's A Small Jurassic World" and "The Brockway Monorail" ("There's nothing on earth like a genuine, bona fide, electrified six-car monorail!"), I think I could have been convinced that Williams himself composed these tracks in the mid-80s. They just have that signature classic Williams sound/feel.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
I rewatched Conan The Barbarian (the original) recently and it confirmed my opinion once again that it has the best drat soundtrack of all time. If I pretended Blade Runner didn't exist, I could not think of any other movie soundtrack that would come even close to that majestic masterpiece.

(I also watched the remake on the weekend and already forgot half of what even happened in it)

FeastForCows fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 16, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Conan the Barbarian is like a really long music video, I don't think we're going to see a movie like it again. The score is arguably its most important element.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Agreed completely. The cue below is so perfectly triumphant, climactic, :black101:, and magnificently synthesized with the action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4cCvj0G3zU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I have that soundtrack on my phone, it is so good. RIP Basil.

I hope the new Conan that Arnold is working on is better than Destroyer at least, but I wonder what they're doing for the soundtrack.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The orchestral swell on Wheel of Pain when Conan reveals his adult face is one of my favorite movie soundtrack moments of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIPlaor68DU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Well guys, I was going to go ahead and give Inside Out a listen, but now all I want to do is pop in Conan.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Anvil of Crom when that brass counterpoint plays under the strings tho

e: it tickles me that the film soundtrack is so poorly performed and recorded yet it totally fits the film. When I wanna listen to Conan though I go for the rerecorded version.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is incredibly sad to read but we may have lost James Horner

:(

http://www.businessinsider.com/oscar-winning-composer-james-horner-is-missing-after-his-plane-crashed-and-burned-2015-6

quote:

The Oscar-winning composer behind Titanic hit “My Heart Will Go On”, James Horner, is missing, feared dead, after a plane registered in his name was found crashed and burning near Santa Barbara, California.

Only the pilot was aboard the plane when it crashed. It is not confirmed whether Horner, 61 years-old and a keen aviator, was the pilot

Fire officials say they found the wrecked plane about 2 miles west of Highway 33 in Southern California. Officials discovered the tail section of Horner's two-seater S312 Tucano MK1 single engine turoprop plane, according to Mashable.

One of Horner's attorneys Jay Cooper told The Daily Mail that the plane was one of several owned by Horner. He also noted that "if [Horner] wasn't in it, he would have called."

In an interview with KNBC-LA, Cooper said, "We haven't heard from James ... We don't know where he was headed...He flies a lot and is an experienced pilot."

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 23, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oh no.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
God dammit to hell. gently caress.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Its been confirmed. loving tragic.

Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge
Wow... very sad. I loved his score for Aliens!

I'm wondering... was he signed up to do the Avatar sequels?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Foo posted:

Wow... very sad. I loved his score for Aliens!

I'm wondering... was he signed up to do the Avatar sequels?

He was basically James Cameron's guy for most of his career, so yeah.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
RIP. I'm sorry I'm a sap for instrumental moving music. Basically I'm a pussy or something.

But I loved this guys style. Did the soundtrack for a ton of movies we all love.

Last of the Mohicans. Titanic. Braveheart. A Beautiful Mind.

Good dude. :rip:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I've always enjoyed this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaxZeisCHv8

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I wasn't the biggest fan of his, but goddamn that's tragic. :(

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Last of Mohicans was the soundtrack that got me into soundtracks

gently caress this is depressing

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Funny that you posted that man. I just got done listening to that. No idea he had ties to "Legends of the Fall"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Looks like his last soundtrack is for Southpaw

That is unless he did stuff for Avatar 2 which I doubt

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 23, 2015

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Last of Mohicans was the soundtrack that got me into soundtracks

gently caress this is depressing

That was Trevor Jones and Randy Eldeman

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
RIP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLxNnas0Dck

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Instead of posting the usual Aliens soundtrack stuff you'd expect from me at a time like this, I'll just post this track from 'A Beautiful Mind' that I've always been a big fan of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDEx6tolC6w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Horner's best work was for the Don Bluth films in my opinion. Land Before Time and An American Tail are first rate.