Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Warmachine posted:

As my G600 was starting to double click, I just came in here to ask if there was something better than the G600. Gonna go ahead and assume that answer is "no."

Depends on what you need I think. The Corsair M95, Razer Naga, and if you only need 6 side buttons, the Razer Naga Hex exist. They all have laser sensors and a variety of shapes and button placements. it really depends on what you need from a mouse shape-wise. They all are kind of short and high though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

The Deadly Hume posted:

OK, the battery life and whether it was replaceable were the main things I wanted to know.

I have two MX masters and I've found they both last a few weeks on a charge.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

kefkafloyd posted:

I have two MX masters and I've found they both last a few weeks on a charge.
Yeah I'm not so concerned about the time between charge (since the month between charges sounds great), just how many times you can recharge it before the capacity deteriorates.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Mastigophoran posted:

The G700 & S do have abysmal battery life, sure, but usually we measure it in figures that are at least in excess of a whole day, rather than a few hours total. My G700 came with a 2000mAh eneloop, which is a really good battery, but, kind of completely wrong for the G700. As a general rule, if you stick with the same battery in the mouse and charge it with it, you'll probably be well served changing the battery out every year.

I don't have any direct experience with the S, just the plain G700 classic, but I think most/at least a few of us turn down the DPI and eg the polling a little to whatever we're comfortable with, as well as enabling battery saving mode if that's still in LGS somewhere. Because yeah, the battery life is a loving joke, but it's usually not that bad, jesus. So probably try that first? But I mean, I'd definitely grab some different batteries for it to try that out, because owning some rechargeable batteries isn't exactly the worst thing in the world. I think I have some fancy expensive 2650mAh energizer rechargeable in mine.

edit: oh, yes, this VVV. Absolutely this. Red lights don't mean poo poo, it's only dead when it actually stops. The Eneloop it used to come with in theory keeps its voltage up above 1.2v much longer than a traditional NiMH battery (this is one of their main selling points, the other being low self discharge) so perhaps the levels make more sense with this in mind. At some point I did a bunch of voltage level checks to see if I could work out exactly what was going on in my G700's brain but idk if I still have the spreadsheet.

It goes dead, not just red light, unfortunately. That's just really short - the non-recharables in my other wireless mice last months.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Harik posted:

It goes dead, not just red light, unfortunately. That's just really short - the non-recharables in my other wireless mice last months.

Yeah, it's a real shame that the g700 is the way it is - purportedly it's got a lot to do with the sensor not being even remotely designed to be frugal with energy usage. It sounds a lot like it was a manager deciding they simply had to put a super ultra high dpi sensor in their new mouse, because it was a terrible decision from a usability perspective... To be honest there probably just weren't a lot of sensors available that were frugal and offered a 'decent'/marketable dpi.

I wouldn't ever put a non rechargeable battery in my g700 because I know it's only a matter of time before it needs to be plugged in, but like I say you should be able to get plenty more than a few hours out of it. But yeah, it's short, it's the major downside to the mouse.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Got my G600 today, but it turns out the software won't install in the Windows 10 tech preview. That's the very first thing I've run into that's made me unable to use the OS as a daily driver. :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 28, 2015

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
What does the thread suggest for someone for whom a RAT 7 fully big is both too short and too narrow, outside of hand reduction surgery?

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Sinestro posted:

What does the thread suggest for someone for whom a RAT 7 fully big is both too short and too narrow, outside of hand reduction surgery?

I use an Intellimouse 3.1 Explorer, it's the biggest mouse I've ran into.

steelseries just released the Rival that is maybe a smidge smaller than the Intellimouse but is shaped a bit better (taller) for larger hands.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ciaphas posted:

Got my G600 today, but it turns out the software won't install in the Windows 10 tech preview. That's the very first thing I've run into that's made me unable to use the OS as a daily driver. :(

Does it say "Not compatible?" I have Win10 and sometimes making sure I'm using the proper 64-bit installer makes all the difference.

http://www.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/gaming/LGS_8.58.183_x64_Logitech.exe

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Are there any bluetooth mice this thread would recommend that have multiple pairing and are actually usable without twisting my hand into a weird, cramped claw?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The MX Master can pair with 2 Bluetooth devices.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Ciaphas posted:

Do you have another computer (or VM) with a compatible operating system? You can configure the mouse, save the setting to its onboard memory, and then use it on another computer without installing any software.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Roadie posted:

Are there any bluetooth mice this thread would recommend that have multiple pairing and are actually usable without twisting my hand into a weird, cramped claw?

The MX Master is love, the MX Master is life.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I've had a G500 for about 5 years now. I've been having some issues with button clicks. Sometimes it will register as a double click or I'll be clicking and dragging and will lose it. I'm assuming the mouse is starting to go. What's a good replacement?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

calandryll posted:

I've had a G500 for about 5 years now. I've been having some issues with button clicks. Sometimes it will register as a double click or I'll be clicking and dragging and will lose it. I'm assuming the mouse is starting to go. What's a good replacement?

If you like the G500 the G502 is its spiritual successor (although it isn't exactly the same shape).

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
So I bought a Logitech M560 and can't get the buttons to map to something sensible. Its defaults have a bunch of stupid Windows8 functions so I had to install SetPoint to remap it to the simple, standard, middle button = Mouse3, back thumb button = Mouse4/Back, forward thumb button = Mouse5/Forward. But there doesn't seem to be any option in SetPoint to map a button to MB3, MB4, or MB5 and while mapping them to "Middle Button, "Back" and "Forward" works in browsers and explorer; games don't detect them at all. Mapping them to "Generic Button" makes games, or at least Skyrim which is what I'm fiddling with right now, to detect "Delete" for some bizarre reason.

And hilariously simply installing SetPoint broke the same functionality on my previous mouse, the AnywhereMX. Now games don't detect MB3/4/5 on it either unless I kill the software. Which would be fine since mouse configuration software is, obviously, the devil. But that mouse is failing on me and I'm sick of replacing it with the same one over and over when the left and or right buttons invariably stops working a few months after buying a new one. I was hoping switching up would find something more durable.

So does anyone know why the hell SetPoint kills MB3/4/5? Anyone have any ideas for how to get this configured how I want? Without resorting to any application/game specific mappings. I hate those. I want my mouse to do the exact same thing in every piece of software.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Rexxed posted:

If you like the G500 the G502 is its spiritual successor (although it isn't exactly the same shape).

I love my G500 but looking at the G502 I'm not so sure. How is the Steelseries Rival? Friend says he loves his.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Rival is great but VERY different. If you love your G500s then get a G502 or G402

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I have an asus strix claw and while I love it the contacts for the left mouse button are going and I just got this mouse on march 24th. That's like two months. Each click still registers just fine, the problem is if I hold the mouse button down except in a very specific way it will reclick mid movement and also resend a down+up event when I let go. I'm going to RMA it and hope for the best, but in the mean time I'd like a new mouse.

Only real requirements are that I can set it to 1000 dpi and some setting between 400 and 800 (400,500,800, don't care, it's for fps games so I can scale in-game sensitivity), and that it's not a brick to hold. Also no tons of buttons that are going to interfere with holding the mouse. I have an mx518 and wmo1.1a that still work so I'm not mouseless. Strix claw actually has the best shape I've ever held, and I don't claw grip.

And the strix claw is shaped like this:

I really like the height of it especially (supposedly ~45mm but the mx518 is supposedly ~38mm and is the same height or a tiny bit taller while actually being held), length and width aren't as important.

edit: Apparently you can open it up and spray contact cleaner on stuff and it might fix it. I also have replacement switches for it because they're like 50 cents and it uses Omron D2F-01F switches, but I'm not sure if I want to RMA or open it up and work on it myself. I'm going with the RMA because I think my mouse3 might be defective. It's prohibitively difficult to press, and no reviews mention that being an issue. I don't use mouse3 so it's no big deal to me, but I should probably RMA it before voiding the warranty just to find out.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 8, 2015

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like a Razer Mamba knockoff? I got a few of another knockoff brand, the e-blue cobra (jr.) which looks much like that though less tall of a palm hump, I took a ruler and 45mm is pretty darn high. Main reason I got those cobras were being that they were so stupid cheap (like a few bucks?) that I couldn't resist. My nephew still uses one on his computer though lately he's been on his Xbone more often so I dunno if it's held up, they are knockoffs for a reason.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

nftyw posted:

Looks like a Razer Mamba knockoff? I got a few of another knockoff brand, the e-blue cobra (jr.) which looks much like that though less tall of a palm hump, I took a ruler and 45mm is pretty darn high. Main reason I got those cobras were being that they were so stupid cheap (like a few bucks?) that I couldn't resist. My nephew still uses one on his computer though lately he's been on his Xbone more often so I dunno if it's held up, they are knockoffs for a reason.

I have an E-Blue Cobra Jr. on my media PC, it's no substitute for a real Razer Diamondback. The palm hump on the Diamondback was so perfect and it didn't feel like cheap poo poo in the hand.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Did you just say a Razer product didn't feel like cheap poo poo?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Diamondback was made 10 years ago back when Razer pretty much owned the market.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

nftyw posted:

It doesn't have much in common with the mamba. The scroll wheel looks similar, they both use omron switches but most mice do, and the similarity ends there because the strix claw has a better sensor and is shorter+fatter+taller/"higher" with better side buttons, on-board settings, and a braided cable. They have pretty different shapes.

I'm actually really beginning to hate the omron switches that are so common in mice today. I always run into problems with them within a few months of use. On the plus side they're like 50 cents each if you want to solder new ones on, on the negative side having to do that poo poo 6 times per year is ridiculous. I'm going with an RMA because I'm not sure if mouse3 is defective or not on my mouse. It's mostly irrelevant to me, but if I am having switch issues then I might as well find out for sure on that one before voiding my warranty. No reviews mentioned it being difficult to press, and there is an actual decent review or two of the mouse.

I don't think there's a better switch on the market or anything, but it's really annoying and the only common failure point on modern quality mice.

I suppose 45mm is a bit of a lie, because the mx518 is supposedly ~36mm-38mm and is functionally the same height or even slightly taller when it comes to places your hand is actually resting on. The strix claw does have a nice high design to it, and it's one of the only mice I've used where i don't have to rest my pinky finger on the mousepad & off the mouse to get my ring finger in a decent position. The mx518/g400s' design unfortunately requires you to put your pinky on the mousepad because only your ring finger can fit under the right cliff. While the entire mouse is well designed, the right side of the strix claw is literal mouse grip heaven for me.

I ordered a CM Storm Xornet on sale for $15 just to check out the shape of that mouse and hold me over. Roccat Kone Pure Military seemed like an alright mouse too, but it's way too expensive for a temporary mouse.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 8, 2015

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I wonder who used to make the switches in these old WMO's because I've got a couple that are coming up on a decade old that still work fine. Because Omrons are indeed terrible and I have no idea if anyone out there uses anything better.

Zowie uses Huano but I haven't heard enough one way or another to know if they have life span issues or not.

Khorne posted:

I'm actually really beginning to hate the omron switches that are so common in mice today. I always run into problems with them within a few months of use. On the plus side they're like 50 cents each if you want to solder new ones on, on the negative side having to do that poo poo 6 times per year is ridiculous.

Do you have to replace the mouse feet every time you fix a switch or are they reusable to any degree?

There was one mouse out there where you could actually access the switches without taking off the feet but I'm drawing a blank on which one it was.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 8, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I wonder who used to make the switches in these old WMO's because I've got a couple that are coming up on a decade old that still work fine. Because Omrons are indeed terrible and I have no idea if anyone out there uses anything better.

Zowie uses Huano but I haven't heard enough one way or another to know if they have life span issues or not.

Do you have to replace the mouse feet every time you fix a switch or are they reusable to any degree?

There was one mouse out there where you could actually access the switches without taking off the feet but I'm drawing a blank on which one it was.
On the g100s, and a few other mice, you can literally ram a screwdriver through the pad and it won't even change the feel of how the mouse moves. I suppose with other mice you can use some form of adhesive or 2 way tape or just putting them back if you remove the feet to unscrew it. Lots of companies offer replacement feet.

On the strix claw I haven't tried. I'm unsure where the screw is. I think the screw is actually behind the label with the serial number and busting through it voids the warranty. Just feeling around there may be additional screws under the feet but probably/hopefully not because asus doesn't offer replacement feet.

The mx518 supposedly uses omron d2fc-f-7n switches (same as g100s sort of). The only major difference is the mx518 shell encloses it from dust far better than the g100s and other body designs. That is maybe why the failure rate is higher. Nothing else makes too much sense, but I'm just taking shots in the dark because I don't know. Maybe button travel distance/design is different on some newer mouse designs and it hits the switch harder/differently or maybe omron's qc or production processes have changed. Qc alone likely isn't the answer because the d2f switches are sorted in japan instead of china but are the same switch as the d2fc. And both end up having similar issues in similar amounts of time. So I don't know really. I think the ms mice also used omron switches but I'm not 100% sure on that one. There is a microsoft branded omron switch so possibly, but I don't know exact models that used which switch.

The huano switches are fine. I'm a big mouse sperg who plays lots of genres and besides being a bit firmer I haven't had any extraordinary issues with them. Just a zowie I owned had huano, and it had wire issues and the width was too small for my hand so I didn't bother repairing it. Supposedly omron makes higher quality switches than huano, but I don't know any metrics or conclusive evidence. I'll go out on a limb and say they're probably similar quality. People started caring more about switches because one of the big gaming mice companies that made crap products for a while was using cheap garbage switches in expensive mice.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 8, 2015

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I had heard some talk that some mice have native input lag on their buttons specifically so they can correct the double click issue, but I dunno if there's actual evidence of that or not. There's some software fixes (via autohotkey and other things) that can supposedly do the same thing, but eh.

There were some pics earlier in the thread about fixing the double click issue by fixing a metal plate in the switch that gets bent out of the correct shape. I dunno if dust is also a culprit or not but I've heard a lot of people claim it is.

I didn't mind the Huano switches in the Zowie FK I used for a little bit, but it had a number of other design issues that turned me off from it. I might give them another try in the future, but for the time being I'm sticking with any company that can give me a 3+ year warranty and has decent RMA service.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There were some pics earlier in the thread about fixing the double click issue by fixing a metal plate in the switch that gets bent out of the correct shape. I dunno if dust is also a culprit or not but I've heard a lot of people claim it is.
This works for fixing double click issues that are really common in some mice as long as that's why the issue is happening.

quote:

I didn't mind the Huano switches in the Zowie FK I used for a little bit, but it had a number of other design issues that turned me off from it. I might give them another try in the future, but for the time being I'm sticking with any company that can give me a 3+ year warranty and has decent RMA service.
I agree that zowie has other issues and that I also had no complaint about their switch choice.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can anyone suggest a mouse that is close to the Razer Naga (customization side buttons, in depth software with macros and sensitivity options) but isn't a Razer mouse? I've had so much problem with Razer mice the last year and i'm finally done with them.

As a side note my issue is that they keep "forgetting" where they are and the mouse stops moving for several seconds no matter the surface i use them on, how i mess with the calibration settings or how much i clean the lens.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Dongattack posted:

Can anyone suggest a mouse that is close to the Razer Naga (customization side buttons, in depth software with macros and sensitivity options) but isn't a Razer mouse? I've had so much problem with Razer mice the last year and i'm finally done with them.

As a side note my issue is that they keep "forgetting" where they are and the mouse stops moving for several seconds no matter the surface i use them on, how i mess with the calibration settings or how much i clean the lens.

G600 seems to be the obvious one

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

duckfarts posted:

G600 seems to be the obvious one

This. It's really the only competition for a numpad mouse, and it's better in every metric aside from having non-mechanical side buttons, but they're not terrible.

Onboard memory and macros made it the best mouse I played WoW with.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I need a mouse with: Wireless, on the fly DPI adjustment, and a couple extra buttons.

I used to have a G9- my left click gave out. Similar to that would be great. I don't need anything that fancy these days, but would like a chunky palm filling mouse to replace it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Poizen Jam posted:

I need a mouse with: Wireless, on the fly DPI adjustment, and a couple extra buttons.

I used to have a G9- my left click gave out. Similar to that would be great. I don't need anything that fancy these days, but would like a chunky palm filling mouse to replace it.

Do you need gaming performance? If not, the MX Master is perfect.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

:lol: I thought that was supposed to be a gaming mouse

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
It's not - the report rate is ~8ms and the sensor isn't all that great for gaming. It's designed for office and design/creative use.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

duckfarts posted:

:lol: I thought that was supposed to be a gaming mouse

:sigh: I wish there were gaming mice with designs like that. Neon please go.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ijyt posted:

:sigh: I wish there were gaming mice with designs like that. Neon please go.

This times a million. It would also be nice if laptop ODMs other than Clevo made subdued gaming laptops.

I don't dye my hair or dress flashy to get attention. I have no idea why electronics companies assume anyone who plays a video game wants to draw attention to themselves.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I can't remember the last time I played a first person shooter with any serious investment, so that will probably do. But out of curious what would be your suggestion for the next step up?

I can't wait to ditch all this audacious gross neon coloured poo poo I thought was cool in the mid-late 2000s. Still have a 2nd gen G15 and my ole' Antec 900 case to ditch as soon as possible.

Edit: MX Master is $100 :gonk: I guess paying for DPI adjustment on the fly has its costs.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Bought the G502 yesterday while it's on sale at Newegg for 55bux (59 after tax). Should be here by Monday. (already in town but ~weekends~)

My current mouse (A cheap mouse that came with this that I got a year and a half ago.) tends to double click by itself more often then not (I should stop playing those clicker games), and recently the middle-click stopped working, so I figured now's a good as time as any to buy the most expensive mouse Ill have ever owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It's great. Treat yo self!