Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It's mostly there so they can hop through time for cool set pieces and not get stuck in a specific era. I think I read there's a specific reason for it pertaining to game mechanics but I honestly can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mister Chief posted:

As someone who has never played any of them is there even any need for a framing device? Doesn't it just cheapen it?

In Prince of Persia you have unlimited lives, and when you die "the narrator" is like "no wait, that didn't happen".

In Grand Theft Auto you have unlimited lives, and when you die you wake up in a hospital with less money.

In Assassin's Creed you have unlimited lives, but they built an entire bullshit narrative around it where you aren't remembering your ancestor's adventures properly. And to establish this gimmick there's like 4,000 hours of this bullshit unskippable mini-game where you walk around with an iPad conducting business meetings.

IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR SWASHBUCKLING ADVENTURE.

It's like trying to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark and every five minutes you have to do a PowerPoint presentation on third quarter fiscal diversity.

Assassins Creed loving sucks poo poo from a huge well of turds.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mister Chief posted:

As someone who has never played any of them is there even any need for a framing device? Doesn't it just cheapen it?

Yep. Like, I initially actually enjoyed the present-day stuff, but it and a lot of the greater plot was just superfluous and obstructive.

They seem to be suffering from a bit of a sunk cost fallacy about it, too. They certainly seemed to understand that the present day Desmond side of things was widely disliked and got in the way, but when they were done with him they just wrote a different present day plot with exactly the same problems. So either they don't understand what people didn't like about them, or they do and just can't admit fault far enough to fix it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

If they really wanted to make use of the framing device, they'd make Indiana Jones in Where In Time Is Adolf Hitler?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I think they wanted to accomplish 3 things with the framing device in AC. I'm going to be incredibly generous and assume they thought far enough ahead for these things. Talking out my rear end with zero research other than playing the games, here we go:

1) A machine that lets you "time travel" for information based on genetic memory, which I don't think works like that at all, but it's a fun scifi concept so sure let's roll with that. Someone came up with this and thought it was cool and they worked from there, I think.
It may also be a "well we wanna do history games but no one will think that's cool so we'll put it in a scifi coating" kinda poo poo.

2) Have a "whoa I dunno wtf is going on!" lead character who will be transformed into a skilled assassin via using magical memory machine so he can go from helpless fish out of water to in control of his own destiny.

3) ancient aliens and centuries-long secret society wars that connect the past story to the modern story, explaining why they wanted to use the memory machine to begin with.

Obviously they fail or succeed with these concepts pretty much in a different way per game. In theory, it could make for a good story but if they've done that or not, eh. I'll say that it's impressive they stuck to it as long as they did anyway, a long-term gameplan across multiple games like that is pretty uncommon and risky so I'm glad it at least sort of worked out. Ezio was easily the best character they ever had though, yeah. I think the worst part of the modern story stuff was that he actually was raised in secret assassin town and wasn't just a random dude who had no idea of his family history and the entire the was nothing he ever knew about.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm asking for too much, I know, but I hope the AC movie is so bad it puts Ubisoft out of business.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm asking for too much, I know, but I hope the AC movie is so bad it puts Ubisoft out of business.

They might have already gotten that ball rolling themselves with the last game.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

effectual posted:

What do you mean by that?

Wag The Dog was filmed at around the same time with The Sphere, during some downtime in the filming of the latter, when Dustin Hoffman and Barry Levinson had some time to kill.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TheJoker138 posted:

Just to play devil's advocate, maybe he's saying this is comedy-horror as opposed to horror-comedy. As in it's a comedy first and horror second, as opposed to something like Evil Dead 2 which is the other way around? Probably not, and he's probably just an idiot.

Even if that's true you're ignoring Army of Darkness and the Scary Movie franchise, along with the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie and a ton of other poo poo I can't remember at the moment.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Even if that's true you're ignoring Army of Darkness and the Scary Movie franchise, along with the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie and a ton of other poo poo I can't remember at the moment.

Or even Peter Jackson's early work, particularly Braindead, which is explicitly comedic.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
poo poo, it even ignores Re-Animator, which is another straight-up comedy that has a lot of gore and a singular scary scene in it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Comedy horror? What, like Little Shop of Horrors? Gremlins? Beetlejuice? Ghostbusters? Idle Hands? I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's comedy horrorcore, obviously.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

The Assassins Creed series is the framing device. Some people may not like it that way but its not supposed to just be historical period pieces.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The advertising for the games never features the future crap so I always forget it exists. They know it's a turn-off, but they just can't stop!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Can't wait til they reveal that the sci-fi stuff is all a hallucination of a medieval chap on mushrooms.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They don't advertise the present day stuff because that's not what the majority of the gameplay is. The actual game part takes place in the past but it is in service to the present day story. The only ones that haven't dealt with present day stuff is a handheld spin off and the most recent.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

They don't advertise the present day stuff because that's not what the majority of the gameplay is. The actual game part takes place in the past but it is in service to the present day story. The only ones that haven't dealt with present day stuff is a handheld spin off and the most recent.

"People are going to LOVE Jar Jar Binks!"

*character gradually slides into a non-speaking role*

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

TheJoker138 posted:

And I'm saying that even if he is still in it, it's still going to suck.

Also Brando needs to be resurrected because ghosts interfere with camera equipment and don't show up properly, so it's the only way to get him to properly be in it. It's like you don't even know anything about ghosts in here.

Yes, but why would you not resurrect Orson Welles while you are doing this, and Welles would still be interfering with the cameras behind the scenes as well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The present-day stuff was like a surprising twist in the first one because all of the pre-release publicity only dealt with the past stuff with only like a flash of code or something. Now it's just redundant.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mr.capps posted:

Yes, but why would you not resurrect Orson Welles while you are doing this, and Welles would still be interfering with the cameras behind the scenes as well.

Ghosts only interfere if they're caught ON the camera. It's why in Paranormal Activity everything is fine until the ghost enters the frame.

Also if we shot the whole movie on a Microsoft Kinect this wouldn't be an issue.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

For some reason the AC developers were afraid that a historical setting would be boring therefore ancient aliens and now they seem to be embarrassed by that whole angle (it's never, ever in any marketing and they get really awkward about it in interviews and claim they don't want to give anything away) but are forced to shove it into every game because it's a "series staple" or some poo poo.

It's dumb and it actively detracts from the good parts of the games. I wish they'd just axe it but it's Ubisoft so probably not. The movie's gonna suck but Fassbender's usually entertaining at least so there's that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

They might have already gotten that ball rolling themselves with the last game.

It sold 10 million copies.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Yes but it was so bad and everyone hated it so much that the entire first trailer for the new one was basically an apology. Sequels to games, much like those for movies, live and die by how well the previous entry into the series did. Black Flag was probably the best AC game they've ever made, so people all rushed out and bought Unity. And it was a broken mess that even if it worked right still would have sucked and been super loving boring. So people are less inclined to go out and buy the next game.

Also it was just a joke about how bad that game was, I don't think Ubisoft are actually going anywhere just like the guy I was replying to doesn't actually think a movie they have nothing to do with the production of has any chance of putting them out of business, jesus christ.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Aphrodite posted:

It also caused their stock to go down 12%, by itself.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Call me when they make a Watch_Dogs movie.

I would say a Blood Dragon movie, but Kung Fury just came out.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes but it was so bad and everyone hated it so much that the entire first trailer for the new one was basically an apology.
Yeah but three sucked all kinds of rear end and still there are/will be like another four games since. As long as people keep buying them - and they will keep buying them - Ubisoft couldn't give a gently caress.

Waffleman_ posted:

I would say a Blood Dragon movie, but Kung Fury just came out.
Kung Fury wants to be Blood Dragon when it grows up.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes but it was so bad and everyone hated it so much that the entire first trailer for the new one was basically an apology. Sequels to games, much like those for movies, live and die by how well the previous entry into the series did. Black Flag was probably the best AC game they've ever made, so people all rushed out and bought Unity. And it was a broken mess that even if it worked right still would have sucked and been super loving boring. So people are less inclined to go out and buy the next game.

Also it was just a joke about how bad that game was, I don't think Ubisoft are actually going anywhere just like the guy I was replying to doesn't actually think a movie they have nothing to do with the production of has any chance of putting them out of business, jesus christ.

I've only just started playing Unity so it's probably going to be as fixed as it ever will be and it's a shame because it's sometimes a fantastic looking game, and huge, but the main character is just a poor riff on Ezio and for some reason, despite being a French studio who have usually done well with accents, they decide that everyone in France is a Mary Poppins-era cockney.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ShufflerZero posted:

83: Linda Blair: Chipmunk-Cheeked Action Woman, Adjacent-to-Action Woman and occasional Prison Agitator

Starring Cleavage, with special guest Linda Blair

Try to get away with using "They Raped Her Sister" copy on a poster these days. :stare:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

DrVenkman posted:

I've only just started playing Unity so it's probably going to be as fixed as it ever will be and it's a shame because it's sometimes a fantastic looking game, and huge, but the main character is just a poor riff on Ezio and for some reason, despite being a French studio who have usually done well with accents, they decide that everyone in France is a Mary Poppins-era cockney.

Ubisoft Montreal did Unity and Quebec French sounds nothing like France French.

Also if you want to make a campy 80s throwback film based on a videogame I think Double Dragon Neon would be way better than Blood Dragon.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kiimo posted:

Try to get away with using "They Raped Her Sister" copy on a poster these days. :stare:

I love how her outfit gets more and more punk and futuristic in each iteration. She goes from a basic black not-catsuit to Road Warrior rip-off leather duds.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

kiimo posted:

So no major studio would be daring enough to attempt a tag-line like this?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I think the operative phrase being "these days."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

I think the operative phrase being "these days."

Obviously. A Clockwork Orange is something like 35 years old now.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

kiimo posted:

I just wanna know if the "eye for an eye" part is meant to imply that she is going to rape their sisters as revenge.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

LORD OF BUTT posted:

To AC's credit, the past stuff basically only hasn't owned once (AC3).

And that was more writing and game design's fault not the setting. Ubisoft did a fantastic job getting the historical details and recreating all the old landmarks. Many of which are still there today. But badly designed sections like Paul Revers's ride, unlocking fast travel through underground tunnels, and the writing all drag it down.

Sorry, I'm from Mass and love all the history around here.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A lot of the series' problems can probably be traced back to the fact that the publisher has forced them to put out a game a year for the past 6 years, with this year being no different.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I thought part of the main appeal of AssCreed is that it's willing to tap historical settings other games don't bother with and provide the opportunity to explore them? At this point ACIII probably has the most "mainstream" setting and even then pirate-themed games aren't terribly common.

This doesn't seem to really be as much of a novelty with film, which generally has less of an issue exploring various eras/places.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

4 was the pirate game. 3 was the American Revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
It really is amazing how they can't make a good poster, in any form, for the new Terminator movie.