Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I take Adv Sensors because it gives me a lot more options, and I don't need the points elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

alg posted:

I take Adv Sensors because it gives me a lot more options, and I don't need the points elsewhere.
Yeah, that's the issue with my list, I'm squeezing as many points out of it as possible so I don't really have any free space left.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Weirdly, flying Double Aggressor has really made me like 2x <Big Thing> lists again; I'm really tempted to start flying Double Firespray some more, just to indulge in double-arc comedy.

I've settled on my preferred build for the IG's generally being:

IG88-C (50)
Aggressor (36), Veteran Instincts (1), Advanced Sensors (3), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), Inertial Dampeners (1), IG-2000 (0), Autothrusters (2)

IG88-D (50)
Aggressor (36), Veteran Instincts (1), Advanced Sensors (3), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), Inertial Dampeners (1), IG-2000 (0), Autothrusters (2)

E: I realised that losing the 6 points of Predator hurt a LOT, but picking up +2 PS from VI and Autothrusters just means you can play the Attrition game if you need to, which the more aggressive build can struggle with. This way, if you're badly outnumbered, you can still aim to outsurvive a lot of lists.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 8, 2015

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
It makes it a lot harder to block Ten with adv sensors. Without them he's often trivial to block entirely since that 2 K-turn is so predictable, and if you get behind him he's toast.

I think I'm still going to be running my Dash/Corran list, while eye rolling at everyone who says the donut hole is some massive, inescapable handicap. Reddit loves to tell me that Soontir automatically eats Dash and there's no way a good Soontir will ever get hit by Dash.

Alg's list worries me just because it's hard to reach Ten to kill him, and unavoidable damage is not what 2 ships like to see.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

My list flops against anything with shields. I'm just there to get one win and ruin someone's day. I have to leave by 5 anyway

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ten Numb - 2x Blue Squadron - 1x Gold Squadron managed to do better than expected against lists which I though would kill me. I had a tense game against a 4BZ where he was only a few HP from losing his last B and even managed to 100-0 a 6 ship TIE swarm (mixed squints/eyeballs with Dark Curse).

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

My list flops against anything with shields. I'm just there to get one win and ruin someone's day. I have to leave by 5 anyway

5 Z's is a pretty good blob to throw at big ships though, and probably half the field is going to have at least 1 of those.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

alg posted:

Have you ever considered that maybe people are salty because they don't like you, specifically?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Have you ever considered that maybe people are salty because they don't like you, specifically?

Nope, I'm a super easy to get along with gamer with a good 'tude who never gets mad about games. I'm not particularly interested in running a netlisted Fat Han / Fat Deci and it's always interesting for me seeing tournament winners who never faced x build that would counter their standard build.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

Nope, I'm a super easy to get along with gamer with a good 'tude who never gets mad about games. I'm not particularly interested in running a netlisted Fat Han / Fat Deci and it's always interesting for me seeing tournament winners who never faced x build that would counter their standard build.

Good. I can't stand people who don't know the basics of their list either. Friends regularly bring oddball lists to our tournaments (since they know I will always bring mama Han) so I'm used to fighting unorthodox builds. Lol at people who expect to just copy a list and win.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I never usually fly top of the meta lists: I like competitive lists that just have a few personal touches to make them stand out. I would never really want to fly something like 4BZ or Deci/Whisper builds or w/e.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I just want to be the one guy who plays someone who was on their way to the top (probably first or 2nd round) but had to fly against a list that could actually counter theirs. I see too many winners who never faced a swarm or a phantom or whatever meta threat there was at the time.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
tl;dr - X-Wing has it's fair share of the Johnny/Timmy/Spike Triumverate of player archetypes.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I hadn't followed X-Wing since wave 4, just as wave 5 was coming out and the first scum and villany expansion was announced.

Can anyone summarize what the meta-game is like now? I'm wondering which new ships are worth picking up first, and what the most popular builds are. Are Tie Swarm and Double Falcon still relevant? Is there a new card like C-3PO that is auto-include for some ships?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Autothrusters are the auto-include in any ship that has boost in their action bar. It basically makes the ship much more reliably survivable against turrets. The current popular lists include: double IG lists, single IG and swarm, TIE swarms (they seem to be making somewhat of a comeback), Fat Hans + mini-swarms, Fat Han + Dash, Dash + Mini Swarm or Deci + Soontir/Whisper/Mini-Swarm (these seemed to be the sort of lists that I saw at the top tables at my regional).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
My strategy is a. Get wild hair up rear end about someting (Oooh, Wedge Antillies with a barrel roll, Jake with prockets and autothrusters, z-95 swarm), b. build list. c, fly list, d, tweak list after few loses, e, fly list again, f, call my buddy who is a worse player than me, g, finally win a game, h, repeat.

But actuallly, I like playing whatever seems fun, not to win. I think I ahve a 10% win rate, and since my area is full of casual flyers, I am ok with it because I always have fun.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Kavil/Ion and Kath/HLC: good idea or bad idea? Does scum benefit most from just fielding a shitload of Y-wings?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Tekopo posted:

Autothrusters are the auto-include in any ship that has boost in their action bar. It basically makes the ship much more reliably survivable against turrets. The current popular lists include: double IG lists, single IG and swarm, TIE swarms (they seem to be making somewhat of a comeback), Fat Hans + mini-swarms, Fat Han + Dash, Dash + Mini Swarm or Deci + Soontir/Whisper/Mini-Swarm (these seemed to be the sort of lists that I saw at the top tables at my regional).

Thanks. Is the Scyk any good? I was looking through recent regionals lists and didn't see any in the top 8s I glanced. I also didn't see any StarVipers that weren't Prince Xizor.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Guys, guys, reading wraith squadron books is hazardous to proper list building. Presenting the Millenium Falsehood (From Solo Command)

Chewie: Marksmanship, EU, Gunner (To represent Myn Donos in the turret)
Wedge: Expert Handling, EU, R5 unit (I chose r5 over r2 because he had an r5 in the books...)
Green Sq Pilot: Chardaan, VI, autothrusters (Cause an a-wing was strapped to it. Course it was Tycho, but I don't have the points)

(yes, the list is 110 points, see previous posts of mine in thread)

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Booyah- posted:

Thanks. Is the Scyk any good? I was looking through recent regionals lists and didn't see any in the top 8s I glanced. I also didn't see any StarVipers that weren't Prince Xizor.

The problem is the Scyk is essentially a more expensive TIE fighter. You can give it an extra upgrade, but that costs an extra 2 points. The idea of a 23 point Heavy Laser Cannon sounds good, but in practice they get vaporized way too fast.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Guys, guys, reading wraith squadron books is hazardous to proper list building. Presenting the Millenium Falsehood (From Solo Command)

Chewie: Marksmanship, EU, Gunner (To represent Myn Donos in the turret)
Wedge: Expert Handling, EU, R5 unit (I chose r5 over r2 because he had an r5 in the books...)
Green Sq Pilot: Chardaan, VI, autothrusters (Cause an a-wing was strapped to it. Course it was Tycho, but I don't have the points)

(yes, the list is 110 points, see previous posts of mine in thread)

I wish that you could get Tycho as an X-wing pilot, then you could do Red Flight from Starfighters of Adumar.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Raleigh regional is only 5 rounds, split to top 8. Seems silly.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

alg posted:

Raleigh regional is only 5 rounds, split to top 8. Seems silly.
That's part of the tourney rules if you have less than a certain number of people (60?)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Tekopo posted:

That's part of the tourney rules if you have less than a certain number of people (60?)

Should be 64

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The regional I went to had 57 people, 5 rounds with top 8 cutoff as well.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Raleigh was the one with the abnormally high entry fee, followed by the cash prize support, followed by getting rid of both of those things, right?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Veritek83 posted:

Raleigh was the one with the abnormally high entry fee, followed by the cash prize support, followed by getting rid of both of those things, right?

Correct. I was one of the people that voiced huge concerns about introducing money tournaments with decent payouts in this game.

Funny thing is that NJ regionals surprised everyone by announcing huge store credit prizes due to the large turnout in the middle of round 4 (out of 6). Top prize being $250 credit. I remember telling my opponent "fly casual eh?" right after the announcement (we were both 3-0 at that point) and he laughed. I think they way they surprised people in the middle of the tournament was better since bounty hunters wouldn't have attended anyway. Or if they did, they were already doing well or poorly and changing behavior afterwards won't change much.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Beardless posted:

I wish that you could get Tycho as an X-wing pilot, then you could do Red Flight from Starfighters of Adumar.

Me too. That was actually my first list, before I foudn out casual is usually 100 points.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Orvin posted:

The problem is the Scyk is essentially a more expensive TIE fighter. You can give it an extra upgrade, but that costs an extra 2 points. The idea of a 23 point Heavy Laser Cannon sounds good, but in practice they get vaporized way too fast.

I'd run one with an ion cannon as an experiment. As lols as the heavy laser cannon on one sounds I don't want to entrust 9 points of upgrades to something with 3 hit points.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The syck sucks as a point investment/weapon platform because its 2 turn isnt green and cant take auto thrusters.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Correct. I was one of the people that voiced huge concerns about introducing money tournaments with decent payouts in this game.

Yeah, screw reasonable rewards. Real gamers only play for peanuts. :rolleyes:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

with the way ffg hands out regionals its fuckin' dumb to run a big money tournament with a high cost of entry.

if every store could run a regional then go nuts with your lovely store credit tournaments.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

PJOmega posted:

You see nothing wrong with hosting tournaments with large cash or credit payouts at a local level, unsupervised by any regulating entity, especially when tied to a toy spaceship game that's got Disney looking for any kind of fuckups?

Anyway, I keep getting my opponents down to a one on one in my favor and then getting rocked. Last time Biggs killed Fett and Kavil, today a solitary TIE killed my lightly damaged Starviper with two crits and a hit to my no evades. I think I may be bad at this game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PJOmega posted:

Go play magic and be a professional grand wizard that makes less than minimum wage with tournament winnings, I guess?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Go play magic and be a professional grand wizard that makes less than minimum wage with tournament winnings, I guess?

Well, to be fair, the KKK is composed of rednecks from trailer parks without much money. The real big money racists instead buy GOP presidential canddiates.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well, to be fair, the KKK is composed of rednecks from trailer parks without much money. The real big money racists instead buy GOP presidential canddiates.
:iceburn:

I think there's a distinct difference between store credit and cash though, right? What if the store you travel 8 hours to, to win their store credit prize, doesn't have what you want? Cash seems like a step beyond that, even if it's only a small incremental one.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Veritek83 posted:

:iceburn:

I think there's a distinct difference between store credit and cash though, right? What if the store you travel 8 hours to, to win their store credit prize, doesn't have what you want? Cash seems like a step beyond that, even if it's only a small incremental one.

Most do a combination of the two. But yeah traveling to a regional from another state to win store credit would be the biggest bummer in the world. May as well chop the registration price and call it a day.

edit: hell I live across town from the Raleigh regional and I don't want store credit. That store charges MSRP on everything and I earn rewards at my store.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
If peoplecome to tournaments expecting to pay rent or their car payment by winning X wing, poo poo is going to get real intense real fast.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Beardless posted:

It'd be pretty hilarious if we could get the Adumari ships in Wave 40 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

TARDISman posted:

It'd be pretty hilarious if we could get the Adumari ships in Wave 40 or something.

What would really be awesome is a Wraith Squadron expansion, where you could have rebels flying TIES or something like that.

• Locked thread