Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Holy poo poo. Stannis is no longer The Mannis. gently caress that guy. Hope Davos stabs the fucker, I think he's the only good guy left in Westeros except for Jon Snuh.

Also the first scene of this episode made no sense. They claimed that 20 men set the fires in Stannis' camp, but in the zoomed out shot you could clearly see fires starting spontaneously in dozens of tents that had nobody nearby. Seemed incredibly poorly done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the boltons continue to be the best characters in the show

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Armyman25 posted:

Can we just pause for a moment and appreciate how great Mace Tyrell singing was? Like, the Iron Bank official had no qualms at all dealing with Stannis, but was utterly at a loss on how to deal with someone like Mace. He seems like a cool dude and it's going to be great when he gets back to King's Landing and Cersei sees that he's not dead.

#teammace

Credentials:

Good economic manager
Excellent singer
A relatively nice dude
Talented diplomat
Not interested in flaying or burning at stake

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003

monster on a stick posted:

Meh, Stannis is still supposed to be this brilliant military mind and yet he decides to march in the snow and basically pull a Napoleon.

Yeah, because Napoleon was a brilliant military mind who basically pulled a napoleon. Robert E Lee was a pretty brilliant military mind but he pulled a Gettysburg. Desperation leads great men to do idiotic things that would not seem at all idiotic had they, by some miracle, worked. When those idiotic things do work out they are remembered like Hannibal's march through the alps, or the battle of Thermopylae.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Holy poo poo. Stannis is no longer The Mannis. gently caress that guy. Hope Davos stabs the fucker, I think he's the only good guy left in Westeros except for Jon Snuh.

Also the first scene of this episode made no sense. They claimed that 20 men set the fires in Stannis' camp, but in the zoomed out shot you could clearly see fires starting spontaneously in dozens of tents that had nobody nearby. Seemed incredibly poorly done.

They probably set some kind of devices with a delayed/slow burn, so they could leave by the time the fires started?

Assuming that 20 dudes can't just wander into a camp and toss torches at tents.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
In the show Stannis says that since winters can last a decade in the setting, he can't afford to stop his campaign and wait for spring. He doesn't really have anywhere to go even if he wanted to, he was driven out of his lands and Jon Snow tells him straight up that the wall doesn't have enough food to house his army for much longer, much less the whole winter. Attacking Winterfell is a crazy gamble, but what are the non-crazy options? Give up and go into exile like Viserys?

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I still can't believe Arya thought it was a good idea to stalk Trant for like 4 hours with a very conspicuous oyster cart.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Al Nipper posted:

They probably set some kind of devices with a delayed/slow burn, so they could leave by the time the fires started?

Assuming that 20 dudes can't just wander into a camp and toss torches at tents.

The trouble there is that to pull off what they did, you'd need impossibly accurate fuses. The scene was iffy no matter how you look at it, unless Melisandre helped somehow.

But Ramsay's gloating will likely not last when that snow melts and Sansa stabs somebody. Probably Pod

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

hiddenmovement posted:

#teammace

Credentials:

Good economic manager
Excellent singer
A relatively nice dude
Talented diplomat
Not interested in flaying or burning at stake

Good taste in wine
Makes bad jokes.
Low ambition, happy with his lot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Maarek posted:

In the show Stannis says that since winters can last a decade in the setting, he can't afford to stop his campaign and wait for spring. He doesn't really have anywhere to go even if he wanted to, he was driven out of his lands and Jon Snow tells him straight up that the wall doesn't have enough food to house his army for much longer, much less the whole winter. Attacking Winterfell is a crazy gamble, but what are the non-crazy options? Give up and go into exile like Viserys?

Strategically, maybe Stannis shouldn't have given up his boats? If he had a better diplomatic corps or spies he could have tried turning many of the northern lords, who secretly or openly hate the Boltons and could see an opening now that the masterminds in King's Landing are dead or in disarray. I mean, that's what he was hoping in terms of recruiting Jon, but even without him Stannis could have leaned on the "Ned Stark trusted me" factor. That would neutralize the "We the North" advantage and be better than attempting to siege the most fortified position in the entire region by himself

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Strategically, maybe Stannis shouldn't have given up his boats? If he had a better diplomatic corps or spies he could have tried turning many of the northern lords, who secretly or openly hate the Boltons and could see an opening now that the masterminds in King's Landing are dead or in disarray. That would neutralize the "We the North" advantage and be better than attempting to siege the most fortified position in the entire region by himself

Stannis has no diplomacy skills. Literally no one likes him. He wouldn't have convinced any of the Northerners to leave their safe castles, march through snow, and fight. He also still has to siege Winterfell, because the alternative is leaving a large army with a skilled commander at his back

I am excited for next season, when Sansa is made Lady of Winterfell, and aligns herself with Stannis and Littlefinger to fight the Lannister / Dorne / maybe Tyrell but Tommen will be dead soon so who knows alliance

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

davey4283 posted:

I still can't believe Arya thought it was a good idea to stalk Trant for like 4 hours with a very conspicuous oyster cart.

I've had a craving for oysters since episode 8 came out.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bobo the Red posted:

Stannis has no diplomacy skills. Literally no one likes him. He wouldn't have convinced any of the Northerners to leave their safe castles, march through snow, and fight.
That's what Davos is for.

I think Shireen clutching that wee wooden stag as she goes up in flames isn't coincidental, Stannis burned more than his daughter in that fire.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Chonchon posted:

I've had a craving for oysters since episode 8 came out.

Same, and I never liked oysters before.

I can't imagine who the hell likes vinegar on them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red posted:

Same, and I never liked oysters before.

I can't imagine who the hell likes vinegar on them.

Oh vinegar. I thought he said vanilla, I was like, that's loving sick.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hated Stannis burning Shireen, but I loved Selyse being punished for being such a stupid hippie once her hippie bullshit that she loved so much actually became real.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Vinegar is the none posh twat way of eating oysters, or any seafood.

Believe it or not they used to be a staple for commoners, before pollution murdered them all and made them rare and expensive.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

tooterfish posted:

Believe it or not they used to be a staple for commoners, before pollution murdered them all and made them rare and expensive.

Same with Lobster, to the point where there were rules restricting how many times a week it could be served as food to inmates in American prisons because it was culturally roughly on the same level as feeding someone rats, and seen as cruel and unusual punishment.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Bobo the Red posted:

The trouble there is that to pull off what they did, you'd need impossibly accurate fuses. The scene was iffy no matter how you look at it, unless Melisandre helped somehow.

My guess is they showed only the aftermath because they wrote themselves into a corner and when it came down to it they had no idea how 20 good men could actually pull it off. The average viewer isn't going to think too hard on it.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

The Human Crouton posted:

Hated Stannis burning Shireen, but I loved Selyse being punished for being such a stupid hippie once her hippie bullshit that she loved so much actually became real.

Selyse burns her brother at the stake in season 1 or 2

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

univbee posted:

Same with Lobster, to the point where there were rules restricting how many times a week it could be served as food to inmates in American prisons because it was culturally roughly on the same level as feeding someone rats, and seen as cruel and unusual punishment.

Yeah but they weren't serving it with drawn butter, they were just throwing it in a pot and mashing it all up together.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Dany won't get greyscale because her dragon blood makes her immune to diseases.

but not cakes.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
"the magic of kings blood" Melisandre took credit for was just the gears of political materialism grinding away everyone who wasn't the defeated and irrelevant Stannis. This time the "magic" will be Stannis meeting up with Littlefinger and the knights of the vale, and tag-teaming Winterfell. Davos stays at the Wall since no way is he getting those supplies in a post-Hardhome reality. Littlefinger throws in with Stannis as the Faith Militant tears the heart out of the Lannisters and Tommen in sentencing Cersei and neutralizing the Tyrells via Margarey and Loras. Stannis will have few options other than to make the lord of the vale and owner of Harrenhal Warden of the North, let him shack up with Sansa to secure that bloodline, and probably make him Hand in Davos' absence. By that point there will be no other serious claimants to the throne though winter might have to break for them to press those claims. After Stannis presses those claims, he's a flu away from dying with no heir meaning regency will pass to his Hand, warden of the North and lord of the Vale.

littlefinger is gonna win the war of five kings lmao. this loving garbage show owns.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

ErIog posted:

Yeah, that's how characterization works. Relying on "well she's a mother!" isn't sufficient as a characterization and comes really close to being a really lazy :biotruths: explanation. Selyse has been shown to believe that Shireen is cursed, sinful, and the living embodiment of her failure to give Stannis a son. Selyse has been shown in the past wanting to physically abuse Shireen. She has been emotionally abusive to Shireen. She has been shown to be a devout believer in Melisandre's teachings, and has been willing to go quite far in the name of following those teachings. These are core parts of her character. These are things they have shown us.

Considering all the crazy poo poo that happens in the real world, I would have had no trouble believing that Selyse, a religious fanatic, would be willing to sacrifice her child in pursuit of her faith. I'm not going to accept, "she's a mother!" as an explanation because the show hasn't demonstrated that her being mother is a thing that would matter to her. In fact it has spent the entire series demonstrating quite the opposite and reinforcing what a religious fanatic she is.

So yeah, in that moment, she acts like a completely different character without the show ever leading us to that moment. You're saying that I'm being "beep boop" about this when I could just as well characterize your answer as "beep boop she's a mother she must break down when her child dies no matter the context boop beep."

I agree with you a little but would like to add that I thought that scene showed us that, for all of Selsye's devout faith in the One God, her will/faith wasn't strong enough to stomach something that needed to be done.

Stannis' faith in being true to yourself was unshakeable - he said/foreshadowed this to Shireen during the Dance of Dragon book reading scene.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

"the magic of kings blood" Melisandre took credit for was just the gears of political materialism grinding away everyone who wasn't the defeated and irrelevant Stannis. This time the "magic" will be Stannis meeting up with Littlefinger and the knights of the vale, and tag-teaming Winterfell. Davos stays at the Wall since no way is he getting those supplies in a post-Hardhome reality. Littlefinger throws in with Stannis as the Faith Militant tears the heart out of the Lannisters and Tommen in sentencing Cersei and neutralizing the Tyrells via Margarey and Loras. Stannis will have few options other than to make the lord of the vale and owner of Harrenhal Warden of the North, let him shack up with Sansa to secure that bloodline, and probably make him Hand in Davos' absence. By that point there will be no other serious claimants to the throne though winter might have to break for them to press those claims. After Stannis presses those claims, he's a flu away from dying with no heir meaning regency will pass to his Hand, warden of the North and lord of the Vale.

littlefinger is gonna win the war of five kings lmao. this loving garbage show owns.
That's actually one of the least awful ways the show could end at this point - Littlefinger's a manipulative bastard but at least he's not outright evil or, worse, incredibly boring (Dany). Of course that means it won't happen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm just hoping that next episode Varys finally shows up in Meereen, sees all the chaos and destruction, and goes to have a chat with Tyrion.

"What on Earth did I miss?"
"You really don't want to know."

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Okay so even if we give benefit of the doubt to the narrative merit of the Shireen BBQ, here's a list of objectively bad writing on this episode:
- Camp fire makes no sense according to everyone. Even Ramsay doing his thing makes no sense according to Roose. That entire flimsy stunt rests on "okay but let's show them how northerners roll anyway!"
- Sons of the Harpy being basically Power Rangers troopers in one camera take and ruthless killers the next
- Dorne's entire conclusion being "Bronn got punched".
- Arya being really bad both at her job (of stealth killing) and also at her personal projects (of stealth killing). Trant being made a pedophile either because a) the writers are paving the way for an Arya rape scene or b) shock value.

So basically every single storyline (apart from Jon's, but Nod Boy not nodding was groanworthy enough) had gaping holes. This was a bad episode and it was a showcase of ~BAD WRITING~

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

ErIog posted:

Yeah, that's how characterization works. Relying on "well she's a mother!" isn't sufficient as a characterization and comes really close to being a really lazy :biotruths: explanation. Selyse has been shown to believe that Shireen is cursed, sinful, and the living embodiment of her failure to give Stannis a son. Selyse has been shown in the past wanting to physically abuse Shireen. She has been emotionally abusive to Shireen. She has been shown to be a devout believer in Melisandre's teachings, and has been willing to go quite far in the name of following those teachings. These are core parts of her character. These are things they have shown us.

Considering all the crazy poo poo that happens in the real world, I would have had no trouble believing that Selyse, a religious fanatic, would be willing to sacrifice her child in pursuit of her faith. I'm not going to accept, "she's a mother!" as an explanation because the show hasn't demonstrated that her being mother is a thing that would matter to her. In fact it has spent the entire series demonstrating quite the opposite and reinforcing what a religious fanatic she is.

So yeah, in that moment, she acts like a completely different character without the show ever leading us to that moment. You're saying that I'm being "beep boop" about this when I could just as well characterize your answer as "beep boop she's a mother she must break down when her child dies no matter the context boop beep."
I get the feeling you don't understand many things related to human expression in general

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Why is Arya being a bad spy bad writing?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

tooterfish posted:

Vinegar is the none posh twat way of eating oysters, or any seafood.

What? Are they really rare & expensive? Not around here they aren't.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SexyBlindfold posted:

Okay so even if we give benefit of the doubt to the narrative merit of the Shireen BBQ, here's a list of objectively bad writing on this episode:
- Camp fire makes no sense according to everyone. Even Ramsay doing his thing makes no sense according to Roose. That entire flimsy stunt rests on "okay but let's show them how northerners roll anyway!"
- Sons of the Harpy being basically Power Rangers troopers in one camera take and ruthless killers the next
- Arya being really bad both at her job (of stealth killing) and also at her personal projects (of stealth killing). Trant being made a pedophile either because a) the writers are paving the way for an Arya rape scene or b) shock value.

So basically every single storyline (apart from Jon's, but Nod Boy not nodding was groanworthy enough) had gaping holes. This was a bad episode and it was a showcase of ~BAD WRITING~

Literally no one gives a poo poo about the campfire raid except for tactical realism spergs.

Same for the fighting strength of the sons of the Harpy, or do you need DBZ scouters shouting power levels to keep your spreadsheet straight.

Dorne's not good.

Also guess what critiquing the stealth killing technique of a character is, while ignoring the character/narrative weight the scenes are carrying.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

SexyBlindfold posted:

I think Dorne's conclusion was closer to 'the Dornish king is actually pretty chill and so is his son'. Also they got what they came for, Myrcella and her bf are coming back to King's Landing. Just because nobody died horribly doesn't mean there was no plot development.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Arya being bad at her job makes way more sense than her being good at it. Her only training was basically washing corpses and taking acting classes, and (unless they skipped a bunch of time without making it clear) she hasn't even done much of those.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maarak posted:

TACTICAL REALISM. RUINED MY IMMERSION.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I think this sums up my feelings about Stannis pretty well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Maarak posted:

You're right, let me rephrase that: The meandering brothel scene was bad writing since it was almost literally Arya just standing in the middle of the room and having a good look around. Rather, it was the writers being bad at making Arya a halfway decent spy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SexyBlindfold posted:

Also the unsullied once again prove they are completely worthless.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Also the unsullied once again prove they are completely worthless.

I hate to be one of those tactical realism guys but spears are loving poo poo for CQC.

It's why that old fart died.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SexyBlindfold posted:

You're right, let me rephrase that: The meandering brothel scene was bad writing since it was almost literally Arya just standing in the middle of the room and having a good look around. Rather, it was the writers being bad at making Arya a halfway decent spy.

The writers are...uh....bad!

Why isn't she automatically a badass spy! That would make her..uh..good written.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sydin posted:

I'm just hoping that next episode Varys finally shows up in Meereen, sees all the chaos and destruction, and goes to have a chat with Tyrion.

"What on Earth did I miss?"
"You really don't want to know."

I fully expect him to get there as all the dragons burn it to the ground, then just immediately turn around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I fully expect him to get there as all the dragons burn it to the ground, then just immediately turn around.

I imagine him arriving with the sound of city bells ringing incessantly.

Varys: "Oh, for gently caress's sake Tyrion! Not again!"

• Locked thread