Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, monster decks suffer from bad pace control unless they have really good neutral/hero cards. The AI will often just sit out the second round to take advantage of their card retention ability and force you to burn a card...this strat nominally works against scoia and nilf decks, but is a wash against northern decks since they get that card back.

The degree that muster helps their hand depends on how many like cards they drew. If they just have one of each then muster is ridiculously potent since they play one card and effectively get 2-5x on the field. Whereas if they drew a lot of like cards, playing one guts their hand. Typically the AI never gets hit too hard by this because it cheats like a mofo.

As mentioned, frost neutralizes the majority of their units. A good strat is to bait the muster, then drop spies and give up the round--they'll carry over one card on the field but you should have card advantage at that point. Just be wary--monster decks tend to have a lot of scorch cards for some reason.

Edit: For your "No Abilities" run I hope you make an exception for alt igni. The flamethrower is just so much fun.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Yeah my problem with the progression in this game is that you're a centennial witcher that has worked with and/or against the most powerful beings in the world.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's weird that skill points become almost useless - I had like ~7 at the end that I had no reason to use because I literally wouldn't swap my skills for anything I could put points into.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Harrow posted:

Part of what makes these games so odd is that their combat is maybe at its most compelling at the start, when you really do have to use all of your available tools to succeed. Eventually, you get to specialize in one of them, and then, like you say, every fight is basically the same. If CDPR makes another Witcher game, I hope they retool their progression system so that it's less "get a lot more powerful, but also more specialized" and more "get somewhat more powerful and a lot more versatile." Geralt (or whoever the next Witcher we play as) is a lot more fun when his main strength is his versatility.

If I play through this again, I might do a "no abilities" playthrough, or only allow myself the first tier of abilities (so no alternate sign modes or alternate attack modes or anything like that). Doing that, maybe on Death March, would probably make me feel like I really do have to use everything at my disposal all the time.

Making a game where you have to stay on your toes even after you learned every kink of the combat system is hard as hell. I think it's almost impossible without human opponents. Plus, you'd have to focus so much on the combat system that you'd probably end up accidentally making a character action game. At the end of the day, RPG fans usually value writing above combat. I don't think I've seen a game with writing as good as W3 with anything but generic RPG combat.

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, monster decks suffer from bad pace control unless they have really good neutral/hero cards. The AI will often just sit out the second round to take advantage of their card retention ability and force you to burn a card...this strat nominally works against scoia and nilf decks, but is a wash against northern decks since they get that card back.

The degree that muster helps their hand depends on how many like cards they drew. If they just have one of each then muster is ridiculously potent since they play one card and effectively get 2-5x on the field. Whereas if they drew a lot of like cards, playing one guts their hand. Typically the AI never gets hit too hard by this because it cheats like a mofo.

As mentioned, frost neutralizes the majority of their units. A good strat is to bait the muster, then drop spies and give up the round--they'll carry over one card on the field but you should have card advantage at that point. Just be wary--monster decks tend to have a lot of scorch cards for some reason.

Edit: For your "No Abilities" run I hope you make an exception for alt igni. The flamethrower is just so much fun.

As soon as a monster deck draws more than one of each kind of their muster cards, they're basically hosed no matter what strategy they try to bring in.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
I've been running a decent monster deck in Gwent. I usually throw out Nekkers and whatever spies I have the first round...and occasionally some middle level stuff to kind of tease the AI to throw out some more poo poo. Second round I get a bit more serious and lay down Arachas and whatever other misc. monsters I have. Try to save heroes and my poo poo load of vampires for the final round. With the leader card's ability to double the close combat row I haven't had much trouble. I've already beat the Novigrad tournament so all I've been doing is playing random people to fill out the collection.

Also want to say that Kill 50 humans/nonhumans with a crossbow headshot is a tedious loving achievement to get. Apparently Devil's Pit is the best place to grind that out and what a grind it is. Also a good place to get that Aard achievement for flinging enemies to their death or the Axii make enemies kill each other one.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
What is a good way to get lesser blue mutagens? I'm only like level 6 or 7, but I want more sign intensity because I want to burn guys to a crisp faster. I have 2, I just want one more so I can make a normal blue mutagen, and put me on track to having a greater blue one. I feel like I should have had a third one drop by now, I already have 4 lesser green mutagens. I've had three of those greens since level 4.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Another Person posted:

What is a good way to get lesser blue mutagens? I'm only like level 6 or 7, but I want more sign intensity because I want to burn guys to a crisp faster. I have 2, I just want one more so I can make a normal blue mutagen, and put me on track to having a greater blue one. I feel like I should have had a third one drop by now, I already have 4 lesser green mutagens. I've had three of those greens since level 4.

I've got a ton of them. I think the bulk of them came from drowners.

Edit: Yeah, Nekkers are filled with them.

Zoo06 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 8, 2015

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
IIRC insectoids are good sources of blues. There's a pack of them just south of Crookback Bog, if you've already been there.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Another Person posted:

What is a good way to get lesser blue mutagens? I'm only like level 6 or 7, but I want more sign intensity because I want to burn guys to a crisp faster. I have 2, I just want one more so I can make a normal blue mutagen, and put me on track to having a greater blue one. I feel like I should have had a third one drop by now, I already have 4 lesser green mutagens.

Nekkers. There's an area I believe south of Hangman's Tree that has a nice nekker spawn. Kill them and you should be swimming in blues, unless the RNG screws you. Keep in mind with the 1.05 bug you'll have to drop your blue mutagen to craft another, then drop those two to make the third.

A pity lesser reds are so rare at lower levels; the reliever decoction would be handy to make for wraith encounters at lower levels. At higher levels you have more tools to handle them and it's not as useful.

Unrelated: just found the rabbit of caerbannog. Tossed a holy hand grenade of enhanced grapeshot but no effect. :smith:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I got all my blues from Nekkers I think east of the swamp where there's like 5 of their nests clustered together.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
lambert seems like the kinda guy who would unironically like Hatred

although I do like that he gives Geralt poo poo for his "killing monsters" line from witcher 1 :allears:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Antoine Silvere posted:

although I do like that he gives Geralt poo poo for his "killing monsters" line from witcher 1 :allears:

Lambert, Lambert, what a prick.

But seriously, I felt a bit sympathetic for him when he explained how he became a Witcher, and why he hated the guy who "Recruited" him. A good story to show why Witchers are often resented by a lot of people.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 8, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
gently caress. I really need to respec, because I literally had no idea what I was doing when I started; however, I can afford it because I'm always blowing my money paying people to turn random poo poo into components--just in case. Like I literally just spent 500 gold turning silver dust into ingots and leather scraps into leather.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Why the heck does Feline Armor weigh more than Griffin and Ursine? I can't be the only one who thinks that the light armor set weighing more than the medium and heavy is crazy. What's crazier that I didn't even notice until now and I've been playing for like 40 hours.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ZombieLenin posted:

After someone in this thread point out the Metal Gear connection, I keep feeling like the voice actor for Geralt has no range... Which I totally didn't before.

Geralt's VA feels like a combination of Solid Snake and Max Payne and I'm perfectly okay with that because that's awesome, but you're right, Geralt's voice acting does not have much of a dynamic to it. He's basically got three modes: 1. sassy wit, 2. a bit disgruntled and 3. pissed off to hell.

Something that I noticed long ago that still bothers me to this day is that Geralt doesn't use any ye olde speak in his dialogue which is almost totally unique to him in 3, and in fact the way he speaks is pretty real-world modern compared to the way most of the other characters talk in general.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Antoine Silvere posted:

It's a reference to this trailer, not the witcher 1 :p

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ZearothK posted:

That said I entirely agree that every foot or horse chase in the game has terrible gameplay.

My only failed quest is the one that you have to chase a doppleganger and for whatever reason I had to pause during the chase and when I came back to it I forgot what I had been doing and just kind of went on my way and did my own thing before realizing I was in the middle of that an hour later but by then the quest had failed.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Jimbot posted:

Why the heck does Feline Armor weigh more than Griffin and Ursine? I can't be the only one who thinks that the light armor set weighing more than the medium and heavy is crazy. What's crazier that I didn't even notice until now and I've been playing for like 40 hours.

It probably has something to do with what it dismantles into, but why would you even look at armor weights? Pretty much every game that has weight tries to do some arbitrary simulationism where they try to guess at what stuff would weigh, rather than trying to make weight at all interesting from a gameplay perspective. It's dumb but you don't really have to pay attention to it beyond "drop heavy stuff".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It probably has something to do with what it dismantles into, but why is that crazy? Why would you even look at armor weights?

A light armor set whose description states explicitly that it's designed to be light and give ease of motion weighing more than a heavy set whose description states that it's explicitly designed for tanking is a bit silly.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

dyzzy posted:

IIRC insectoids are good sources of blues. There's a pack of them just south of Crookback Bog, if you've already been there.

This was the hot tip. Got me at least 5 more lesser blue mutagens. Why can't I use alchemy to create a second blue mutagen tho? I have enough. It won't even let me make a second green one.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Man, finally beat it after 100 plus hours. Decided to have another play in Polish on Death March. We'll see if it can hold my attention now that I've beaten it. That is easily one of my favorite games of all time, and if it hold the feeling it gave me could very easily move to the top of the list.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Levantine posted:

I've been in Skellige for a while now and fully transitioned from Fantasy Detective to Deep Sea Salvager. There is SO much money to be had boating around and raiding smuggler caches and spoils of war. There's something super relaxing about zipping around on a boat too. Skellige is loving gorgeous on top.

the skellege question marks are one of my gripes with the game. i did like a dozen of them and decided the rest werent worth the hassle when i already had kile 15k gold. its just filling in the map for its own sake which is a rare spot of lazy in this game

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Regarding getting people to Kaer Morhen and romances

Is there a way to romance Yen and still get Triss to Kaer Morhen? I need my trophy for full house.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Another Person posted:

This was the hot tip. Got me at least 5 more lesser blue mutagens. Why can't I use alchemy to create a second blue mutagen tho? I have enough. It won't even let me make a second green one.
Bug. Drop your first mutagen to make more

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

CJacobs posted:

Geralt's VA feels like a combination of Solid Snake and Max Payne and I'm perfectly okay with that because that's awesome, but you're right, Geralt's voice acting does not have much of a dynamic to it. He's basically got three modes: 1. sassy wit, 2. a bit disgruntled and 3. pissed off to hell.

Something that I noticed long ago that still bothers me to this day is that Geralt doesn't use any ye olde speak in his dialogue which is almost totally unique to him in 3, and in fact the way he speaks is pretty real-world modern compared to the way most of the other characters talk in general.

You forgot 4. slurry drunk

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Regarding getting people to Kaer Morhen and romances

Is there a way to romance Yen and still get Triss to Kaer Morhen? I need my trophy for full house.

I don't think there's a way for Triss to not come to Kaer Morhen. I went with Yen, sent Triss off on the boat, and she still showed up.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Slashrat posted:

It's a reference to this trailer, not the witcher 1 :p

oh, coulda sworn he had a similar line in the witcher 1 but I could be mistaken :shrug:

is there a way to (Fyke Isle spoilers) not kill Keira Metz but also not let her take the bioweapon notes from that tower? I didn't really want to kill her but both conversation choices at that point seemed like the fight was gonna happen no matter what :( do you just have to not progress that questline or is there another way?

another question, I'm at the point where I'm near the end of Act 1 (i assume) and have to go to the Isle of Mist after gathering everyone I can at Kaer Morhen. About how far away am I from the end of the game?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Bug. Drop your first mutagen to make more

Oh, okay. Thought it was some odd crafting limitation for levels. I am now level 6 and rocking a +40% sign intensity modifier from muts alone.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Antoine Silvere posted:

oh, coulda sworn he had a similar line in the witcher 1 but I could be mistaken :shrug:

You're probably thinking of the ending. "That sword...is for monsters!"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Lambert, Lambert, what a prick.

But seriously, I felt a bit sympathetic for him when he explained how he became a Witcher, and why he hated the guy who "Recruited" him. A good story to show why Witchers are often resented by a lot of people.

I liked Lambert as a character but find him to be too whiny to actually like as a person. Like, yeah, you have your reasons Lambert. But literally every Witcher has the same reasons to be pissed as you and they don't sulk over it constantly. On the other hand, he's well written and has some great banter, especially when you and your Witcher buds get drunk. So I can't hate him, but I don't have to like him either.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Antoine Silvere posted:

is there a way to (Fyke Isle spoilers) not kill Keira Metz but also not let her take the bioweapon notes from that tower? I didn't really want to kill her but both conversation choices at that point seemed like the fight was gonna happen no matter what :( do you just have to not progress that questline or is there another way?

I was able to make this happen, I think I said "he doesn't forgive" and "that's suicide" when she talked about taking the notes to Radovid, then when she starts freaking out about needing to leave Velen I got the "there's another option" option. If she agrees to go, you can say "before you leave, give me the notes". I can't remember the exact dialogues but it's definitely possible.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You should totally just let Keira take the notes.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I don't understand why armor pieces don't all weigh the same across types, period. Every chest piece should weigh the same as every other chest piece, same with boots, gloves, etc. The game already distinguishes between armor types, mechanically speaking... light armor pieces have less protection than heavy pieces but better stamina regen and vice versa. Yes it might be more "realistic" but I don't think realism should trump trying not to give one playstyle an advantage over another that has nothing to do with combat. There's really no reason tanks should be punished any worse than glass cannons regarding weight limit just because they want to be tanks.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 8, 2015

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Manatee Cannon posted:

You should totally just let Keira take the notes.

As long as she doesn't go to Radovid she cures the disease either way

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Won the Assire var Anahid gwent card from a random merchant. Still looking possible to have a full collection. :toot:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

I don't understand why armor pieces don't all weigh the same across types, period. Every chest piece should weigh the same as every other chest piece, same with boots, gloves, etc. The game already distinguishes between armor types, mechanically speaking... light armor pieces have less protection than heavy pieces but better stamina regen and vice versa. There's really no reason tanks should be punished any worse than glass cannons regarding weight limit just because they want to be tanks.

Come on dude, I agree it's silly but seriously. "Punished" regarding weight limit, really? Oh no, that 10 weight will make all the difference in filling up my 170 capacity inventory :ohdear:.

Xenoith
Aug 30, 2011

by Ralp
I'm not going to dig through the thread to see if this has been asked, but does anyone else get weird graphical bugs on AMD cards? Like pieces of the ground just turn invisible, bushes randomly clip into buildings where they shouldn't be, people are floating asleep on random parts of the floor instead of beds and all sorts of other weird poo poo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dyzzy posted:

As long as she doesn't go to Radovid she cures the disease either way

Which is my point, it saves you the trouble and it doesn't hurt anything

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The main point is to still question her enough to stop her from doing the bad thing, once you've done that I don't think it's possibly to get into a fight over the notes.

I haven't seen that sort of thing, but I'm barely scraping by on a 6950 so I might not be the best person to ask :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

GrossMurpel posted:

Come on dude, I agree it's silly but seriously. "Punished" regarding weight limit, really? Oh no, that 10 weight will make all the difference in filling up my 170 capacity inventory :ohdear:.

Ok yeah that's probably an overly harsh word, but the point stands I think. Also, making every "thing type" weigh the same would go a long way in helping people calculate how much they can pick up without becoming overburdened on-the-fly.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 8, 2015