Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Fister Roboto posted:

I think she should be shamed, even publicly, for what she did. Not just from an academic perspective, but for the massive breech of trust between friends. I guess it's OK with Kat because they're kids and school sucks, but imagine if Annie had lied to her about something big, or stolen something of hers.

But she might feel bad about doing something bad :qq:

X - however, what if Y?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

X and Y are rooted in the same principle, which is betraying a friend's trust.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't understand why some people aren't getting this: The court does not really care about Annie cheating, it's Tony who cares. They would have let her cheat at chemistry and physics until forever because she's got other strong suits and probably doesn't need or care about math and hard sciences, and they've got better things to worry about than some kid who doesn't wanna learn. Plus, the whole "you didn't do the work so obviously you have to go back and redo that whole year that you never did what other solution is there" thing is exactly the kind of robot logic that Anthony would use.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ChairMaster posted:

I don't understand why some people aren't getting this: The court does not really care about Annie cheating, it's Tony who cares. They would have let her cheat at chemistry and physics until forever because she's got other strong suits and probably doesn't need or care about math and hard sciences, and they've got better things to worry about than some kid who doesn't wanna learn. Plus, the whole "you didn't do the work so obviously you have to go back and redo that whole year that you never did what other solution is there" thing is exactly the kind of robot logic that Anthony would use.

Agreed, children shouldn't have to learn things if they don't want to, especially if they have other strong suits like frolicking in the forest with magical beings. Now let me tell you about my indigo child,

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

God you are completely loving insufferable. No-one else enjoys the smell of your constant verbal farts.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ChairMaster posted:

Yeah! It's not the school suddenly taking notice, it's T-Money.

Bilirubin posted:

I've become more convinced this wasn't etheric surgery so much as a metaphor for how he is keeping Annie from achieving her true potential. She wears the mask to please him.

This makes sense I think though it depends on how soon that chapter occurred after the message from Anthony chapter. IIRC they were sequential.

e: Also Boxbot is great. One of my favourite things is when they found the original robots that Diego designed that the current robots are based off and Boxbot was the exact same :3:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fister Roboto posted:

Agreed, children shouldn't have to learn things if they don't want to, especially if they have other strong suits like frolicking in the forest with magical beings. Now let me tell you about my indigo child,
If your strong point is being loving Magic and doing loving Magic things, your best bet is probably to do loving Magic as a career and not give a single solitary poo poo about math.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Fister Roboto posted:

Gunnerkrigg court is not a real school, it's a magic robot academy where people send their kids so they can have enough free time to work on their mad science experiments. It is also a work of fiction that doesn't always reflect real life, hard as that may be to understand.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I still don't think this is ultimately about Annie cheating. The punishment for cheating is an excuse to cut Annie off from the forest and Reynardine and isolate her from her friends.

Up until now the Headmaster has been the one chiefly opposed to Annie's contact with the forest and Rey. Remember when he named Smitty as the court medium, he revoked Annie's forest visitation rights in the same breath and requested she hand Rey over to the court. Over the objection of pretty much everybody. That didn't work, thanks to Coyote and Smitty.

So the Headmaster pulled Tony out of his hole, told him about the cheating, and instructed him to use it and his hold over Annie to put the kibosh on her.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

JT Jag posted:

If your strong point is being loving Magic and doing loving Magic things, your best bet is probably to do loving Magic as a career and not give a single solitary poo poo about math.

I think it's important for people to be well-rounded individuals, with at least a working knowledge of a wide variety of subjects, no matter what their strong suit is.

ChairMaster posted:

Gunnerkrigg court is not a real school, it's a magic robot academy where people send their kids so they can have enough free time to work on their mad science experiments. It is also a work of fiction that doesn't always reflect real life, hard as that may be to understand.

For the majority of students, it's a fairly normal school with normal expectations. Annie shouldn't get a pass on not knowing how to add numbers because she's ~*special*~

Filboid Studge posted:

God you are completely loving insufferable. No-one else enjoys the smell of your constant verbal farts.

You guys don't seem to have any issue huffing your own emissions.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 8, 2015

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Line Feed posted:

I take it they're more angry at Anthony for being a shitlord than they are at Annie for cheating off their daughter. I love it how everybody just realizes how bad her dad is and sympathizes with her.
At the end of the dinner after the Carvers leave it should be her parents apologising to Kat because she was right all along and they were just remembering their friend Tony instead of seeing :spergin: Mr Carver. :spergin:

E: Somewhere in Valhalla Brinnie is looking down from her flying horse and going "Oh thank the Allfather he ran away from me".

Itzena fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 8, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

IMJack posted:

I still don't think this is ultimately about Annie cheating. The punishment for cheating is an excuse to cut Annie off from the forest and Reynardine and isolate her from her friends.

Up until now the Headmaster has been the one chiefly opposed to Annie's contact with the forest and Rey. Remember when he named Smitty as the court medium, he revoked Annie's forest visitation rights in the same breath and requested she hand Rey over to the court. Over the objection of pretty much everybody. That didn't work, thanks to Coyote and Smitty.

So the Headmaster pulled Tony out of his hole, told him about the cheating, and instructed him to use it and his hold over Annie to put the kibosh on her.

No that's very true! The Headmaster is an enigma because he has such an important role but for the most part barely features in the story. The same could be said about Tony but his influence is absolutely felt throughout. I don't see Tony being at the Headmaster's beck and call though. I'd really like to see Coyote and Tony interact.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Fister Roboto posted:

For the majority of students, it's a fairly normal school with normal expectations. Annie shouldn't get a pass on not knowing how to add numbers because she's ~*special*~

I haven't used anything I've learned in high school math or hard sciences since I graduated high school. If you can calculate compound interest and do fractions then you know enough math to survive for the rest of your life.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I'm curious as to what ultimately happened with Anja and Surma's group at the end. Seems like something big happened at the end that caused everyone to go their separate ways. Maybe we'll find out in a couple of years. :allears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ChairMaster posted:

I haven't used anything I've learned in high school math or hard sciences since I graduated high school. If you can calculate compound interest and do fractions then you know enough math to survive for the rest of your life.

So am I going to get my latte anytime soon, buddy?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

EmmyOk posted:

The same could be said about Tony but his influence is absolutely felt throughout.

Yeah, you could say that his shadow looms large.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Fister Roboto posted:

Did you know that there exist actual careers in which one is not required to do calculus or mix chemicals? hosed up but true.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fister Roboto posted:

wow, rude.

chairmaster's right though, speaking as somebody who took math up to like calc iii math past basic algebra is largely useless to non-stemlords, i.e. the vast majority of the population

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, you could say that his shadow looms large.

Haha I was looking at the symbols trying to remember if one stood for him before I saw it!

Did they actually clarify what she cheated at?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, that's too bad I guess. I had a very broad education in college, and I can definitely say I've used all of it in some capacity since then.

Doesn't change the fact that Annie's at a school that requires her to learn certain subjects, and that she has failed in this regard.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
I bet Harry Potter dropping out of school in the last book drove you nuts.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I have zero exposure to Harry Potter except through internet osmosis, sorry.

e: that is kind of funny though, why does he drop out?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

EmmyOk posted:

Haha I was looking at the symbols trying to remember if one stood for him before I saw it!

Did they actually clarify what she cheated at?

Everything but biology and history, apparently

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Look at it this way, Annie is clearly bright, why not let her make it up by giving her additional work to do during the time period. Not least of which you can't cheat at S.A.T.S tests (which is the only ones she would be sitting at the moment prior to G.C.S.E) because you do them in a big hall on your own.

I am not the brightest guy and found that a lot of the diffusion of different subjects at this level made them come out crappy, so instead I got better when it came to A-Level stuff. Maybe just let her make it up through other methods instead of ripping her away from her friends and actual family because you are a terrible terrible excuse for a father.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Whatever the court's deal is, it's hard to say what it wants to accomplish with the actual education of its students. Like, why the heck are the forest students studying orbital mechanics?

At least it's not as bad as Harry Potter where the kids stop learning math at age 11, if they even learned that much.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Court has a very robust fairy-based space program.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Because the school is taken over by the magic Nazis and they want to kill him.

There's no doubt the Court is pretty poo poo as a school and if this was real life then Tony would have good reason to write the headmaster a strongly worded letter.

But we all know drat well that Annie isn't going to be sitting in a magic forest at 20 hoping Coyote will look past her lovely A levels in the interview, so I don't know why people are getting to concerned about her education (its because they're goons with a stick up their rear end over how well they did in school). Can you really not see why 'I don't care about the enslavement of mankind young Harry, get a summer job' isn't a reasonable suggestion in the context of a story? There are better ways to read fiction than treat it as a 1:1 recreation of real life.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

What if Jeanne turns out to behave more like a collection of waves than a set of particles? Annie will regret cheating at physics then. :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cruel and Unusual posted:

What if Jeanne turns out to behave more like a collection of waves than a set of particles? Annie will regret cheating at physics then. :colbert:

If only she had some kind of ally who was gifted in mathematics and physics.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What's funny about the "she's magic, she doesn't need to learn science" thing to me is that in GC, "magic" has a scientific basis. They make computers out of it and poo poo.

If she's going to be a magicologist, she should probably have training in the other sciences as well.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Except that magic doesn't play nice with the laws of physics/maths/computing and to the Court tends to spurn it in favour of :science:. Isn't Anja's work meant to have been mostly ignored by everyone outside the main cast for that reason?

E: I get the impression there's both sufficiently advanced science and very spiritual, illogical 'real magic' at play, and that getting them to cooperate is incredibly difficult and unreliable.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The BBC Sherlock show handled it well when Sherlock said he didn't bother learning anything he found unnecessary including that the Earth goes around the Sun and not the other way. Later on it's a plot point that something he thought pointless to learn was in fact relevant. It's very hard to say what's worth learning for later in life unless you're Smitty.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

It's very hard to say what's worth learning for later in life unless you're Smitty.

This is a good point. Personally, I take the stance with knowledge that it's better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

Strategic Tea posted:

Except that magic doesn't play nice with the laws of physics/maths/computing and to the Court tends to spurn it in favour of :science:. Isn't Anja's work meant to have been mostly ignored by everyone outside the main cast for that reason?

E: I get the impression there's both sufficiently advanced science and very spiritual, illogical 'real magic' at play, and that getting them to cooperate is incredibly difficult and unreliable.

Perhaps, but it still has (somewhat) predictable results that can be studied and recreated, like a science.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 8, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

some mental condition that makes you think this is real and not fiction.

I'll keep this in mind next time people are whining about abuse apologists.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 8, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The exam scores represent institutional demands. Having her retake a year is only "justified" if you have some mental condition that makes you think this is real and not fiction.

That was the original Sherlock Holmes stories, or was that :thejoke:

They've highlighted her cheating before, Renard seemed particularly unhappy with it. I'm not saying the pretty hosed up punishments Tony is putting her through are acceptable. I'm just saying that making someone repeat a year that they passed by cheating is not unjust. The "It's a magical school/It's all fiction" is a pretty lazy response.

That was not the joke, do not worry! I've only read a few of the original stories but didn't really like them because I am uncultured scum.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That is aesthetically and thematically relevant to the comic. The exam scores represent the demands of a distant, controlling authority and not a statement on how to handle children in a school environment.

As I've said before, I think that the breech of trust between Annie and Kat is a far greater injustice. One that gets quietly swept under the rug because "tee-hee, we're friends, silly!"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If I'd fought gods and ghosts with a friend I probably would not be too upset by them copying off my tests either.

Especially since who gives a gently caress about high school tests.