Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M42
Nov 12, 2012

Sooo... rolling thunder. Good to experience once just for the hell of it, or not worth it at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's cool if you haven't ever seen it. After seeing the 10,000th Harley with a POW flag you might be bored though. If you ride your bike, be prepared for a lot of gridlock near the mall.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

M42 posted:

Sooo... rolling thunder. Good to experience once just for the hell of it, or not worth it at all?

So anyone doing rolling thunder?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
Nope. We're headed to the Tail.

RT is cool if you're super into the jingoistic USA/POW MC thing, or you're super social and just like being surrounded by thousands of Harleys.
It's *really* boring if you expect it to be about motorcycles. I tried rolling with them once, bailed about halfway through the ride.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Pretty much what Hot Sauce said. Kinda cool to watch go by for a while but watch from somewhere where you can dip out and go get lunch or something when you get bored.

For those of us who live on a route between "budget-minded" hotels and the Pentagon, we can look forward to hearing mini versions of it all weekend whether we like it or not.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Wanna be social and hang around a bunch of loving weirdos? Come to cars and coffee at katies this sat morning.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Decided to ride 211 sunday with some buddies instead. What time/place you guys meet for c&c? Might try that too.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

HNasty posted:

Wanna be social and hang around a bunch of loving weirdos? Come to cars and coffee at katies this sat morning.

Okay, I'll bite, where do you all meet at for Cars and Coffee?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Okay, I'll bite, where do you all meet at for Cars and Coffee?

If you look on google maps we usually try to park just about where they have Georgetown Learning Center. I'm about to head out so you can try to look for a red Husqvarna.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

Koruthaiolos posted:

If you look on google maps we usually try to park just about where they have Georgetown Learning Center. I'm about to head out so you can try to look for a red Husqvarna.

Didn't even see the reply until 11am. Oh well.

Anyway, me and a couple of buddies are going to do the ride from Battley HD tomorrow to DC. We have done the Pentagon thing twice and I didn't even go last year so we are going to ride down with the second group that breaks off after you get on to the GW parkway. We might go find a hole to chill in and hang out for a while. Because gently caress SITTING IN THE PENTAGON PARKING LOT FOR 7 HOURS WAITING TO DO THE LOOP AROUND DC!!! That being said, if you haven't done it atleast once to see the craziness, you have to.

And it's great to be able to ride up on the sidewalks and park on the lawns of the monuments without the cops giving you poo poo or shooting you.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Motorcycle was involved in a crash that killed a child about a mile from my house, on a road that I rode on today. Everybody around here's probably going to give me dirty looks now.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I spent all yesterday riding 211 and the surrounding backroads. I forgot what real twisties feel like :swoon: and apparently, how to ride them properly.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
211 is probably my favorite road around here. How far west did you take it?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Absolutely no clue, just followed the leader. We did a ton of backroads to get to/from it. Gravel roads included :unsmigghh:

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
This saturday I lose my license for a few weeks, before my suspension kicks in I want to go ride 211 one time, friday or sat would work.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
I can do Saturday.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anyone participating in this? EITM hosting some charity ride from DC Brau to RFK for the Foo Fighters concert.

http://www.930.com/event/868197-dave-elliots-4th-july-rally-washington

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I rode from 8 am to 8 pm today. 211 and 33 were the only ones I know the names of, but there was a poo poo ton of backroads. 33 was insane. I learned a ton. My sitbones are in agony

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

M42 posted:

I rode from 8 am to 8 pm today. 211 and 33 were the only ones I know the names of, but there was a poo poo ton of backroads. 33 was insane. I learned a ton. My sitbones are in agony
Every bike I own gets two things: A corbin seat and stainless brake lines. The first is expensive, but worth it to fix the sitbones.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, the issue is that I've had my seat shaved down like half an inch so I can reach the ground at all. Corbins/sargents are stock height or higher I think, and none of the custom seat people I know are willing to work on those brands.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

33 can be pretty fun. I used to live in richmond, the gf lived in gainesville. This was my route every time I went to see her:

https://goo.gl/maps/4QQKe

Sometimes I'd take 522 or 15 but they're not as fun.
Occasionally I'd hit 64 and just take it all the way out to Charlottesville, then take 29 up. But that's when I just want to see how fast my bike can go.

Also, gently caress deer.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 8, 2015

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

M42 posted:

Yeah, the issue is that I've had my seat shaved down like half an inch so I can reach the ground at all. Corbins/sargents are stock height or higher I think, and none of the custom seat people I know are willing to work on those brands.

On my 2nd gen SV the Corbin seat is about 1" shorter than stock and a ton more comfortable

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

33 can be pretty fun. I used to live in richmond, the gf lived in gainesville. This was my route every time I went to see her:

https://goo.gl/maps/4QQKe

Sometimes I'd take 522 or 15 but they're not as fun.
Occasionally I'd hit 64 and just take it all the way out to Charlottesville, then take 29 up. But that's when I just want to see how fast my bike can go.

Also, gently caress deer.

That's a TON better than just shooting up 95/64, but the best parts of 33 are on the other side of 81.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

lowcrabdiet posted:

On my 2nd gen SV the Corbin seat is about 1" shorter than stock and a ton more comfortable

Oh gently caress yes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

That's a TON better than just shooting up 95/64, but the best parts of 33 are on the other side of 81.

This is the God's honest truth.
In that same vein, 220 is an amazing go-fast road.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Biek Movie Night at my place this Thursday 6/25. Text me or post in here if you are interested. We'll be watching:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Ducati demos at Coleman next weekend. Anybody want to go down?

http://www.wherethepoweris.com/eventslist.htm?groupId=32638&itemId=244966&utm

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Wish I could go but I'll be camping all weekend.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Koruthaiolos posted:

Ducati demos at Coleman next weekend. Anybody want to go down?

http://www.wherethepoweris.com/eventslist.htm?groupId=32638&itemId=244966&utm

Do you have work Friday?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Unfortunately yes, and I just found out I'm working saturday too. :(

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Koruthaiolos posted:

Unfortunately yes, and I just found out I'm working saturday too. :(

drat, just found out I could go Saturday too. If anyone wants to go Friday or early Saturday I'd be down.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Registered for the 9 am slot Friday. You know you weren't going to get any work done in the first hour of the day anyway :getin:

EDIT: Well actually I am going to get some work done in that first hour, because I just found out I have to go into the office. Trying to switch to early Saturday instead.

ought ten fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 7, 2015

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

ought ten posted:

EDIT: Well actually I am going to get some work done in that first hour, because I just found out I have to go into the office. Trying to switch to early Saturday instead.
loving jobs, always ruining all our fun.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Bikes & Breakfast is this Sunday the 12th. If I wasn't busy already I would totally go to that and then test ride some Ducs.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Any of you guys going to B&B tomorrow? My plans with my group fell through, so I'm up for that and then a 211/33 run afterwards.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Think I'm heading out to Elkins, WV tomorrow, just in case any of you want t be a cool dude and ditch work to go riding all day.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
so did I miss something? Is VA no longer a helmet law state or what?
3 loving lidless idiots in 3 consecutive days. 1 Harley, 1 scooter, and 1 some other sort of cruiser that I couldn't see because of jersey wall.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

That reminds me, I saw to redneck looking dudes riding scooters up 211 today. Neither was wearing helmets and one of them was riding an absolutely giant confederate flag. Saw so many confederate flags today. SMH, VA - what a poo poo state.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
As far as I know, VA is still a helmet required state. Were they wearing the brain bucket kind or nothing at all?

Koruthaiolos posted:

That reminds me, I saw to redneck looking dudes riding scooters up 211 today. Neither was wearing helmets and one of them was riding an absolutely giant confederate flag. Saw so many confederate flags today. SMH, VA - what a poo poo state.

MD has its share of rednecks too plus higher taxes on almost everything.

Neither state matters to me though, I live in the district :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Anyone riding this weekend? I haven't taken the DRZ out properly for way way way too long.

• Locked thread