Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

taser rates posted:

Man, I really gotta play my copy at least once someday.

Yes, you do. I've never played a game close to as tense as NT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

silvergoose posted:

Except, perhaps, staring at the board of Napoleon's Triumph, praying your opponent doesn't test that particular corp because your line will absolutely collapse at the slightest push oh god why didn't I move that infantry over last turn.
Or peeling away a 3 Cavalry unit just at the right time after predicting a flank will collapse 3 turns in advance and seeing it ride it and contain the breakthrough just in time.

NT is like playing poker with 8 hands at once and where both you and your opponent can exchange cards between your hands.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Tekopo posted:

Or peeling away a 3 Cavalry unit just at the right time after predicting a flank will collapse 3 turns in advance and seeing it ride it and contain the breakthrough just in time.

NT is like playing poker with 8 hands at once and where both you and your opponent can exchange cards between your hands.

Please stop selling me on Wargames. I have maybe one person I can play them with!

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Deceptive Thinker posted:

They are the same game

Is there any difference? is one better than the other?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

OmegaGoo posted:

Please stop selling me on Wargames. I have maybe one person I can play them with!

Isn't that the perfect number?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Isn't that the perfect number?

With NT, you want three others; so you can arrange multiple games (i.e. not just create a metagame with one opponent), but even more so you can do a team game which, with the limited communication the variant requires, is hilarious.

No goddammit I needed those orders to swing my cav around NO GAH WHY ARE YOU ATTACKING THERE gently caress oh wait they shifted to meet your attack sweet now I have an opening.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

And then one of your team-mates uses an independent activation that you really wanted to use in order to crush an attacking enemy corps and you seethe with rage at the fuckup of someone higher up the chain of command.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

And then one of your team-mates uses an independent activation that you really wanted to use in order to crush an attacking enemy corps and you seethe with rage at the fuckup of someone higher up the chain of command.

Yeah that was the first part of my post. :)

Dammit 3 month old why are you preventing me from having the time to set up an NT match.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also, me and silvergoose are being double-dickish because it is nigh on impossible to actually buy Napoleon's Triumph for a sane price nowadays.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Also, me and silvergoose are being double-dickish because it is nigh on impossible to actually buy Napoleon's Triumph for a sane price nowadays.

Quite so. Find someone in your area that owns it already basically. :smith:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Speaking of Click-Clack Lumberjack I recently realized we used the grub stickers "wrong". We put them on the outside of the bark pieces, apparently you're supposed to stick them on the inside where they can't be seen once the tree is assembled. I think I prefer our wrong way. We also only count the grubs as extra points, not extra turns, because extra turns are d u m b.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 8, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Bubble-T posted:

I assume you mean an official version since terra.snellman.net exists.

I had not known about this, thanks for posting it :yayclod:

Rumda posted:

with regard to this Dominant Species is pretty much at the top of the list of games I need to play, along with Mage Knight.

I grabbed Dominant Species for my wife's ipad. Reading the rules because the tutorial uh kind of makes some assumptions.

Scyther posted:

Speaking of Click-Clack Lumberjack I recently realized we used the grub stickers "wrong". We put them on the outside of the bark pieces, apparently you're supposed to stick them on the inside where they can't be seen once the tree is assembled. I think I prefer our wrong way. We also only count the grubs as extra points, not extra turns, because extra turns are d u m b.

true, as made grubs on inside of bark pieces grants extra turns to more successful players
bad design, runaway leader problem
:siren: FLAWED GAME :siren: still fun

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Mister Sinewave posted:

I grabbed Dominant Species for my wife's ipad. Reading the rules because the tutorial uh kind of makes some assumptions.

Thankfully the iPad version is getting completely revamped so you'll get a free update soon. I think it's in the final testing phase.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

EvilChameleon posted:

First game for everyone playing Viticulture tonight. 4 players, took about 2 hours with my lovely explanation. I didn't really know how to advise people what to do with their stuff since I hadn't played it before myself. I was surprised that trying to get all your workers ASAP didn't give me some huge advantage because most of the time there weren't great actions to take. I feel like I was trying to powergame something that wants me to take it slow and just enjoy the scenery.

Viticulture has a surprisingly large number of options, but it's worth noting that because of the VERY short timeframes (9 rounds is a long game) getting workers early is vital if you're getting them at all. Past about round 3 it's probably not worth doing unless it's an incidental thing as part of another action (i.e. you don't have anything better to do with your second Visitor) - and yes, in particular at certain player counts, actions are very limited.

And yeah, it's not especially power-game-able, either. It's very enjoyable though.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Viticulture is definitely the chillest board game I've ever played. I think it manages to have just enough choices that it isn't completely on autopilot like Lords of Waterdeep while being simple and contained enough that no one really gets overwhelmed. You do often get those times where someone makes a move that forces you into your contingency plan, but then your contingency plan ends up crashing into other contingency plans and it all ends up kind of silly rather than stressful. I've played it twice and although the end-game race can be tense, I've never left the game feeling drained.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Even when Viticulture gets super stressful, it's still incredibly relaxing. I blame the theme.

But I do need to up my game because Automota is gonna kick my rear end, since every game is on a 7 turn timer.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played some Dungeon Lords over the weekend, holy poo poo did I get screwed by the very little randomness that game has. Traps I drew were useless, and the one time I had a strategy down pat, a random spell that forced my demon to attack the enemy in front, as opposed to that rear end in a top hat thief in the middle, completely hosed me.

Still though, that was because I wasn't managing my evil based on the adventurers coming through, or checking the combat cards at the same time, so it's partly my fault, but damnit that's the most frustrated I've been playing that game. Still so much fun, looking forward to jumping into the expansion once I've got another game or two under my belt.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The rule of thumb with spells is that a large percentage of them gently caress with assigned monsters in some way, so placing (expensive) monsters down is risky and you should wait until the part runs out of spell tokens. The balance of the game is that rogue gently caress up trap builds, mages and healers gently caress up monster builds and bards gently caress up everyone (someone once got 3 bards in his adventurer party, it wasn't pretty).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

More kid-game chat

King of Tokyo/New York is fun and easy! Roll dice, be a big-rear end monster, destroy things.

Rampage/Terror in Meeple City; two names for the same game. Apparently they got sued or something. Anyway, be a big-rear end monster and destroy things. Much more of a physical/dexterity game than King Of X. Your primary way of scoring points is dropping your monster on buildings!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

jeeves posted:

Friday: this is a solo game I picked up since I knew I would be having some time to myself this weekend, and I like deckbuilding games. I spent about 2 hours on it, and man-- I still haven't even beaten the level 1 / easiest mode, like not even close. Either I really suck at it or I am not getting the rules right. I do like it though, the theme is fun (get this god drat putz Robinson Crusoe off your beloved island), and while the art seemed a little repetitive at first, I like how corny it is.

Bubble-T posted:

I'm surprised you struggled with Friday if you have Dominion experience, I found it to be pretty solvable and beat the hardest difficulty on I think my 3rd game. The 'destroy' effect cards are totally broken but the game would be impossible without them, it really needs a redesign to be interesting.

Yeah, I think I was not understanding the rules correctly because now that you mention it destroy is pretty good and I didn't think about that before. I think with solo games you don't get the rules discussion that happens in a solo game so it is easy to accidentally handicap yourself or cheat without knowing it. I think I just accidentally made the game way harder without realizing it on my first couple of tries.

jeeves posted:

Dominion Adventures: really great. The game seems pretty polished, even though all of the extra tokens and mats seems like at first that they author was reaching for more things to do moving away from the elegance of the original game. But in that complexity seems to come fun. The duration cards were weird though, as they didn't go on the tavern and it seemed like the tavern was mostly unused for the intro card set we picked. It would seem more logical that all duration cards go on that mat. Anyhow, I enjoyed it especially since I started amassing a huge deck via Treasure Horde (the one with +3g +1c every time played). By the end of the game my friends and I felt like we had huge deck engines running without even meaning/planning to. Success!

Sloober posted:

Duration cards were in Seaside, so the mechanic for them is old, technically speaking, and they don't make use of 'calling' like tavern mat cards do which are only in Adventures

This would make sense except there were cards that explicit said to be put on the tavern mat, but are never able to be called-- like Distant Lands. Whereas Hireling is just a duration card but it is permanent. Shouldn't Distant Lands be a permanent card instead of being on the tavern mat? I think maybe just all duration cards should go on tavern or something-- or call it the duration mat or whatever.

It just seemed weird, but then again after 9 expansions a lot of Dominion is probably weird.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

jeeves posted:

This would make sense except there were cards that explicit said to be put on the tavern mat, but are never able to be called-- like Distant Lands. Whereas Hireling is just a duration card but it is permanent. Shouldn't Distant Lands be a permanent card instead of being on the tavern mat? I think maybe just all duration cards should go on tavern or something-- or call it the duration mat or whatever.

The difference is that Hireling keeps doing something every turn for the rest of the game so it needs to be in play, whereas Distant Lands never interacts with the game again until final scoring so there's no reason for it to be in play. Distant Lands is basically using the tavern mat as a makeshift Island mat.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Morpheus posted:

Played some Dungeon Lords over the weekend, holy poo poo did I get screwed by the very little randomness that game has. Traps I drew were useless, and the one time I had a strategy down pat, a random spell that forced my demon to attack the enemy in front, as opposed to that rear end in a top hat thief in the middle, completely hosed me.

Still though, that was because I wasn't managing my evil based on the adventurers coming through, or checking the combat cards at the same time, so it's partly my fault, but damnit that's the most frustrated I've been playing that game. Still so much fun, looking forward to jumping into the expansion once I've got another game or two under my belt.

What season did you attract the wizard? Once you've got at least one of them lined up there's really no excuse not to take the intel action.

Edit: Aside from the normal DL excuse, there weren't enough turns to get everything you needed AND everything you wanted :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ConfusedUs posted:

More kid-game chat

King of Tokyo/New York is fun and easy! Roll dice, be a big-rear end monster, destroy things.

Are either better or more complicated?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The difference is that Hireling keeps doing something every turn for the rest of the game so it needs to be in play, whereas Distant Lands never interacts with the game again until final scoring so there's no reason for it to be in play. Distant Lands is basically using the tavern mat as a makeshift Island mat.

I guess this makes sense now, but at the time it didn't.

Then again, I think the creator of Dominion has publicly stated somewhere that he wished he had use more mats right from the beginning of the game now that he knows what he knows now.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

ConfusedUs posted:

More kid-game chat

Rampage/Terror in Meeple City; two names for the same game. Apparently they got sued or something. Anyway, be a big-rear end monster and destroy things. Much more of a physical/dexterity game than King Of X. Your primary way of scoring points is dropping your monster on buildings!

Bottom Liner posted:

King of Tokyo was the first game, whereas King of New York is basically KoTokyo 2.0. So go with the first game for less complexity.

I'd also say something like Checkers or Chess is good for kids to start on, especially if you care about them playing by themselves and accidentally losing stuff because kids can be terrible with that stuff.

I'd imagine Ticket to Ride being great for 8 year olds as well, or hell even like stuff like Fluxx.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bottom Liner posted:

King of X is dead simple.

Rampage is a bit more complicated, but not difficult.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I went to Origins this weekend, and played SO MANY board games. But I'm gonna try and just do writeups about some of the new ones. With the recent Dead of Winter chat, I figure I'll start with Dark Moon. It's a release of the former print and play game BSG Express with a new theme and nice components + tweaking by stronghold games.

It's a traitor game with a space mining theme, plays 3-7, and in the 5 player game I played there were 2 infected and 3 good guys. Infected don't know who the other infected are. The space station you're all on has 3 modules that are constantly breaking and need repair, and if any one of them takes 6 points of damage, the infected win. The game length is set by event cards, which require a certain number (usually 2-3) of success cubes put on them to pass, if the good guys clear 4 events they win.

On your turn you can repair stuff, attempt to get a success cube, vote to place someone in quarantine, reveal yourself as infected, or issue orders to allow someone else to take actions on your turn. The way you do almost everything in this game is by using dice. Dice have slightly different numbers depending if they're "strong" or "weak" but they all have 4 negative faces and 2 positive faces. (I think the distributions are -1, -2, -2, -2, +1 / +2 +3 / +4).

The meat of the game comes from the Task cards which happen after your action. Each turn you draw two, reveal one and discard the other facedown. The tasks are usually malfunctions that everyone can help prevent. They have a score you have to beat and a penalty if you fail. First, each person simultaneously chooses to be in or out for a task. Each player who's in, starting with the player whose turn it is, rolls all their dice behind their hidden screen and must submit one of them to help with the malfunction - even if they roll all negatives. The sum of the total submitted dice is compared to the task score, and if it's higher, you add a success cube, and if it's lower, a module takes damage (determined by the card).

This mechanic is AWESOME. One of the things I don't like about Dead of Winter (and even games like Resistance) is that all your traitorous actions have to be made in the shadows, through face down cards. In Dark Moon, all your traitorous actions have to be made publicly, out in the open - when you submit a -2 to a malfunction, everyone sees you do it! But, the way the dice work in this game gives you an excuse to do this! Maybe you submitted -2 because you're a bad guy, but maybe you really did just roll poorly. After submitting a die to a malfunction, you can reroll your other dice, but if you do, you have to submit another one - this can become an interesting push your luck game (or an excuse to submit MULTIPLE bad results as an infected!). It makes the game exciting to play as both an infected and a good guy, and people can look very suspicious if they consistently get bad rolls.

That said, because this game uses hidden die rolls, it has the same problem as Roll for the Galaxy does, where the potential for cheating is high. This doesn't bother me at all, but I know it's a deal breaker for others.

The game ended in about 60 minutes, yet it was tense, and enjoyable throughout. It starts tough and builds to a nice head as you get to the (always difficult) final event. I really enjoyed this game and wasn't surprised to hear it sold out in a couple of hours. I'm definitely gonna pick it up when it releases - the mechanics are the best I've seen in a traitor game, which I feel like usually have some significant flaws. If you like traitor games and/or dice games, I highly suggest looking at Dark Moon. It's available for preorder for a little longer from Stronghold Games too.

burger time fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 8, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

^^^ I'm hyped as hell for Dark Moon, shamefully preordered the thing

Re: Terra Mystica, I think it would be a pretty boring game without the asymmetric starting factions. They (and the variable scoring objectives, particularly from the expansion) really make the game in my mind.

That, and the fact that EmDo is so much better with the scenarios has really made me realize that I like games with different starting powers/factions etc, even euros where it's kind of uncommon. I really like Puzzle Strike, Roll for the Galaxy, and probably a bunch mode games featuring variable starts (civ/war/dudes on a map/collectible games go without saying)

It's not just being forced to adapt to new strengths and weaknesses, although that is a big part of the fun. But a large part of it is seeing how the different match ups play out. Like in TM, sometimes I just want to see what Giants can do with these opponents, objectives, and map.

Curious about more euros with variable starts. I'm definitely keeping an eye on Marco Polo. Did the expansion for Tzolkin push it very far in the variable start direction, or are the powers minor? What about experts for Ginkgopolis?

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 8, 2015

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Is there any difference? is one better than the other?

Supposedly the "best" version is the one that was on Kickstarter last week - not sure if it will be available elsewhere soon though. There's also Bling Bling Gemstone, which is the same game but styled differently

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

^^^ I'm hyped as hell for Dark Moon, shamefully preordered the thing

Re: Terra Mystica, I think it would be a pretty boring game without the asymmetric starting factions. They (and the variable scoring objectives) really make the game in my mind.

That, and the fact that EmDo is so much better with the scenarios has really made me realize that I like games with different starting powers/factions etc, even euros where it's kind of uncommon. I really like Puzzle Strike, too, and probably a bunch of similar games (civ/war/dudes on a map/collectible games go without saying)

It's not just being forced to adapt to new strengths and weaknesses, although that is a big part of the fun. But a large part of it is seeing how the different match ups play out. Like in TM, sometimes I just want to see what Giants can do with these opponents, objectives, and map. Curious about more euros with variable starts. I'm definitely keeping an eye on Marco Polo

Interested in Marco Polo too because of this reason. Did the expansion for Tzolkin push it very far in the variable start direction, or are the powers minor? What about experts for Ginkgopolis?

I demo'd Marco Polo this weekend and my friend bought it, we'll probably play it on Tuesday. The starting powers in Marco Polo are VERY powerful. One of the characters doesn't have to roll his dice. He can just set them to whatever he wants, which is obviously gamechanging. But the highest variablity in the game seems to come from how the different income/arrival bonuses/ abilities are distributed onto the cities in the game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Foehammer posted:

What season did you attract the wizard? Once you've got at least one of them lined up there's really no excuse not to take the intel action.

Edit: Aside from the normal DL excuse, there weren't enough turns to get everything you needed AND everything you wanted :)

Yeah...in my defense it was my second time playing the game, so thoughts like that, taking a wizard and intel vs taking a rogue and finding a way to take them out before thinking about traps, they didn't really apply to my strategy of "I want the bestest dungeon!"

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Forbidden Stars has been updated on FFG's site to SHIPPING NOW :bubblewoop:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Morpheus posted:

That's Dungeon Lords - the game fucks you over in hilariously unfair ways, but it's hella fun.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

jeeves posted:

King of Tokyo was the first game, whereas King of New York is basically KoTokyo 2.0. So go with the first game for less complexity.

I'd also say something like Checkers or Chess is good for kids to start on, especially if you care about them playing by themselves and accidentally losing stuff because kids can be terrible with that stuff.

I'd imagine Ticket to Ride being great for 8 year olds as well, or hell even like stuff like Fluxx.

They'll be playing with my wife and I mostly. They know chess and checkers, looking for more engaging and thematic games for them. I forgot I had Sushi Go, that's a good one for them. I meant to say they also play Pokemon cards so they can handle board games as long as they're light-mid, mainly just looking for fun and goofy stuff for kids that's still an ok game, not any Sorry or Monopoly junk.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Forbidden Island is my go-to game for age 8-12. Co-op, costs $15, plays quick, comes in a hard-to-destroy tin. Plus it's great for ramping them up to something more engaging like Pandemic as they mature.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

burger time posted:

Dark Moon. It's a release of the former print and play game BSG Express with a new theme and nice components + tweaking by stronghold games.

Neato, that sounds like fun to try. I'd give it a shot. Preordering is $25 shipping to Canada though, ouch.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Bottom Liner posted:

They'll be playing with my wife and I mostly. They know chess and checkers, looking for more engaging and thematic games for them. I forgot I had Sushi Go, that's a good one for them. I meant to say they also play Pokemon cards so they can handle board games as long as they're light-mid, mainly just looking for fun and goofy stuff for kids that's still an ok game, not any Sorry or Monopoly junk.

I forgot about Sushi Go. That game is great for kids, as it is drafting boiled down to its basest form and just about memorization and addition. So yes, great for kids.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

thespaceinvader posted:

Viticulture has a surprisingly large number of options, but it's worth noting that because of the VERY short timeframes (9 rounds is a long game) getting workers early is vital if you're getting them at all. Past about round 3 it's probably not worth doing unless it's an incidental thing as part of another action (i.e. you don't have anything better to do with your second Visitor) - and yes, in particular at certain player counts, actions are very limited.

I didn't count how many rounds we played but it definitely felt like more than 9. I'm definitely gonna see how it shakes out next play since I have a direction now.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Curious about more euros with variable starts. I'm definitely keeping an eye on Marco Polo.

The starting powers for Marco Polo almost determine how you're going to play the game. Not fully, but they're so strong that it accounts for a huge amount of your strategy for a given game. But like burger time said, the random poo poo that comes out for different towns matters a lot, too.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
:allears:
https://twitter.com/BoardGameGeek/status/607759674767773696

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Next month!? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS