Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
can you guys only post when cards get spoiled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Enthralling victor's flavor is pretty amusing. He's just oh so dreamy and handsome.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I like to think that Victor is actually his name.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Bugsy posted:

Aether adept is too good now? Seems to be a decent amount of Mage Rings in the flavor text so far.

I mean 1UU is basically 3U so it's not that far off. Still costing a whole mana more than man-o'-war is pretty steep even if the typing is way better.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Would Mist Raven be too good?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Entropic posted:

I like to think that Victor is actually his name.

Doug Beyer confirmed that on Tumblr :v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That Victor! He's so enthralling! :allears:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Really hoping for a card w/ spoils in the name, like, hopefully an equipment so you can say "to the victor go the spoils".

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

can you guys only post when cards get spoiled?

mythicspoiler.com is the perfect place for you. You won't ever have to see anything but spoilers.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

Would Mist Raven be too good?

Mist Raven is REALLY good, heck at 5 mana in Khan's Aven Surveyor was still really good. I think Mist Raven is probably to good, but I would love to see it back.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I fondly remember my AVR pre-release deck with 3 Mist Ravens and a Deadeye Navigator.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I'm super excited for Origins, but not excited about any of the spoiled cards.

Also, I'm pretty new to this thread, so are these last few pages par for the course? That was horrible.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Blakkout posted:

Also, I'm pretty new to this thread, so are these last few pages par for the course? That was horrible.

You should wait for the bad card evals. I am almost shocked nobody is debating the viability of the spoiled bulk rare dragon.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sickening posted:

You should wait for the bad card evals. I am almost shocked nobody is debating the viability of the spoiled bulk mythic rare dragon.

Fixed that for you.

So many feelbads in my future. :negative:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Blakkout posted:

I'm sorry if that was your first exposure to the thread on the basis that those types of discussions aren't necessarily fun. Most of the time we're just yelling at each other over other dumb stuff, though issues like that creep up from time to time.

Sickening posted:

You should wait for the bad card evals. I am almost shocked nobody is debating the viability of the spoiled bulk rare dragon.

Who said we had to be doing it here? :devil:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Blakkout posted:

Other than the dragon, this is largely limited fodder, so yeah not the most interesting stuff.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

Other than the dragon, this is largely limited fodder, so yeah not the most interesting stuff.

The limited cards are the most interesting stuff! I hate always having to wait until the big spoiler dump at the very end to get any sense of what the draft environment is going to look like.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

There are plenty of forums where you can find someone describing the perfect scenario where you'd totally want a 4/4 flier without any other meaningful ability the turn it comes down other than discarding your loving hand.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
if you want to read good posts, click the question mark over there <--

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
A good third of the cards spoiled so far either evade, give evasion or get one or more blockers out of the way. Might be a skewed sample but it's looking like there'll be a lot of sneaking damage through what would otherwise be a gummed up board.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

The limited cards are the most interesting stuff! I hate always having to wait until the big spoiler dump at the very end to get any sense of what the draft environment is going to look like.

I mean yes, I agree, but it's not the cards that new players get really excited by and the ones that lead to pages of discussion.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Blakkout posted:

Welcome aboard. No, the discussion usually isn't like that, sorry.

And yeah, hyped for Origins.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Blakkout posted:

Dont say anything and scroll, you soon learn who to just ignore.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm actually proud of this thread that we all pretty much agree that that dragon sucks.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

There are plenty of forums where you can find someone describing the perfect scenario where you'd totally want a 4/4 flier without any other meaningful ability the turn it comes down other than discarding your loving hand.

If the environment can get to a place where the predominantly played removal has trouble hitting a 4/4 for whatever reason, I could see it being a contender. The tension seems to be between it and something like the red siege, which doesn't have a drawback (aside from potentially stranding the card, which hardly ever matters) but also doesn't bash in for 4. The tiebreaker for siege is that it doesn't just eat a downfall or cut after you've already discarded your hand.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

If the environment can get to a place where the predominantly played removal has trouble hitting a 4/4 for whatever reason, I could see it being a contender. The tension seems to be between it and something like the red siege, which doesn't have a drawback (aside from potentially stranding the card, which hardly ever matters) but also doesn't bash in for 4. The tiebreaker for siege is that it doesn't just eat a downfall or cut after you've already discarded your hand.
Not to mention Enchantment Removal is dramatically less common and this crummy mythic dumps your hand before it even gives you anything.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

I'm actually proud of this thread that we all pretty much agree that that dragon sucks.

I tried to evaluate it fairly elsewhere and this is what I came up with at the time:

quote:

It's in a weird position because Thunderbreak Regent already exists as a mana-efficient flyer that even punishes opponents for trying to kill it immediately (whereas this one doesn't), and Outpost Siege already exists as a 4cmc way to get card advantage in red without even being susceptible to creature removal (or losing your entire hand), so I doubt it makes it into RDW on that basis.

But, being a dragon it both benefits from a Thunderbreak being on the field AND it can be tutored for via Sarkhan's Triumph, so I could see some GR Dragon lists maybe using it. If nothing else, it's an efficient beater with evasion that can give you CA late in the game (and because of that effect, you're encouraged to play Thunderbreak first).

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

HMS Boromir posted:

A good third of the cards spoiled so far either evade, give evasion or get one or more blockers out of the way. Might be a skewed sample but it's looking like there'll be a lot of sneaking damage through what would otherwise be a gummed up board.

I think its skewed a bit for the first round of spoilers, but yeah there is decent amount of etb tapping/cant block.

Hammerhands was underrated in M15 draft.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

There was in fact another card that got spoiled that was interesting.

Mizzium Interceptor (?)
2U
Flash
When Mizzium Interceptor enters the battlefield, change the target of target spell or ability to Mizzium Interceptor.
1/4

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Angry Grimace posted:

Mizzium Interceptor (?)
2U
Flash
When Mizzium Interceptor enters the battlefield, change the target of target spell or ability to Mizzium Interceptor.
1/4

Looks like a promo because that's the FNM PTE right behind it. Maybe the launch promo?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

bhsman posted:

I tried to evaluate it fairly elsewhere and this is what I came up with at the time:

Unless I'm actually misunderstanding how GR Dragons works these days, I don't see why it would want to play Grafted Skullcap Dragon. GR Dragons seems to be all about just playing out fat dragons until one of them kills your opponent. The only reason you'd want this dragon in there is if it was going to be the last dragon you played from your hand, which isn't what you want to be doing with your 4-drop.

It's a burn/all-in aggro or nothing card, most likely.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Bugsy posted:

Looks like a promo because that's the FNM PTE right behind it. Maybe the launch promo?

Yeah, MTGS is guessing at launch promo since those are often just uncommons (e.g. Heir of the Wilds) and have dates/stamps on them.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, MTGS is guessing at launch promo since those are often just uncommons (e.g. Heir of the Wilds) and have dates/stamps on them.

Launch cards are (bad) Rares. Game Day cards are Uncommon for the Participation one and Rare for the Top-8 one. FNM Promo's are usually Commons/Uncommons.

Heir was a Game Day Participation card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

Launch cards are (bad) Rares. Game Day cards are Uncommon for the Participation one and Rare for the Top-8 one. FNM Promo's are usually Commons/Uncommons.

Heir was a Game Day Participation card.

It doesn't seem like a full-art or special card, so I don't know then. But it has a Origins watermark and a stamp/date.

Spells like these are going to make Standard a critical mass of Collected Company being really annoying.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
All you dumb carebares who want to play Tron now have driven O-Stone up to 50 bucks. Hope you're proud of yourselves.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Angry Grimace posted:

Mizzium Interceptor (?)
2U
Flash
1/4

Not-Quite-Spellskite. Pretty cool.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Not-Quite-Spellskite. Pretty cool.

That is a 1 mana effect for 3 mana. It sucks. Glint was completely unplayable and Mimzzium Skin was spotty at best. Maybe you can steal an aura in magical christmas land once.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Looks a lot like a date stamped foil from KTK block to me.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

That is a 1 mana effect for 3 mana. It sucks. Glint was completely unplayable and Mimzzium Skin was spotty at best. Maybe you can steal an aura in magical christmas land once.

I mean they'll probably push to have playable auras like moldervine cloak level spells so stealing one of those is nontrivial.

3 for a 1/4 with flash isn't great but it's also not unreasonable. Also considering it's a horned turtle stapled onto a misdirect effect that kind of more than compensates for the 2 additional mana on this fictional 1-mana redirect effect that sees play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zoness posted:

I mean they'll probably push to have playable auras like moldervine cloak level spells so stealing one of those is nontrivial.

3 for a 1/4 with flash isn't great but it's also not unreasonable. Also considering it's a horned turtle stapled onto a misdirect effect that kind of more than compensates for the 2 additional mana on this fictional 1-mana redirect effect that sees play.

It's not a relevant body.

• Locked thread