Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Last night I went to retrieve the master tools in Skel city.

Holy poo poo that island is eerie.

Also holy poo poo did I gently caress up going there at lvl19 to fight the lvl 26 rock troll....?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Are you dudes really having issues with the weight limit? I pick up basically everything including crap common weapons to resell, barely doing much management other than "sell poo poo off when getting full" and I've only really been over-encumbered once the whole time.

In fact this is the first RPG in a while that my pack rattiness hasn't been a huge hassle.

Where can I find lesser red mutagens? I want to pump my attack power but I've only got 2 regular reds and I need more.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 8, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

hagie posted:

Also holy poo poo did I gently caress up going there at lvl19 to fight the lvl 26 rock troll....?

No, I did it too. It's a difficult fight and you can't really make mistakes but it's totally doable.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Moridin920 posted:

In fact this is the first RPG in a while that my pack rattiness hasn't been a huge hassle.

I did on my first mini-playthrough, once I started prioritizing buying saddlebags I never had any more issues. I'm not even looting bodies anymore, just taking stuff from chests, and I don't feel tight on either space or money.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dyzzy posted:

The main point is to still question her enough to stop her from doing the bad thing, once you've done that I don't think it's possibly to get into a fight over the notes.

I haven't seen that sort of thing, but I'm barely scraping by on a 6950 so I might not be the best person to ask :v:

The fight for the notes happens separately and is optional, you can convince her to go to Kaer Morhen without talking about them at all

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 8, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I did on my first mini-playthrough, once I started prioritizing buying saddlebags I never had any more issues. I'm not even looting bodies anymore, just taking stuff from chests, and I don't feel tight on either space or money.

Yeah I guess I should mention I got saddlebags pretty early from the horse racing but still.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Manatee Cannon posted:

The fight for the notes happens separately and is optional, you can convince her to go to Kaer Morhen without talking about them at all

How? I had to go through the back and forth about Radovid not being a cool dude before Kaer Morhen was on the table. Is it different if you've reached the recuit allies quest before doing the tower?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dyzzy posted:

How? I had to go through the back and forth about Radovid not being a cool dude before Kaer Morhen was on the table.

I know. But you never have to talk about the notes at all.

It's an optional dialog thing after you convince her not to go to Radovid, as I recall. If you don't say anything then there's no argument over it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
But by then she accepts if you do.

I don't even know what the point of contention is anymore.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
well I guess I just boned it up then :saddowns:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Levantine posted:

No, I did it too. It's a difficult fight and you can't really make mistakes but it's totally doable.

Or you can go out the side exits with the goats, wait for the troll to de aggro, run in, steal the tools before Geralt draws his sword then escape while having successfully not killed a troll.

Don't kill trolls.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
But how will I upgrade my oils???

e: that's a serious question, if there is a vendor for troll livers I will happily save troll lives

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

There are some sacrifices we just have to make.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think you misunderstand what I said or something because literally everything I have said and you have contended so far is that you don't have to talk about the notes. They never have to be brought up once. You can, but you don't have to.

Keira can be convinced to go to Kaer Morhen without mentioning them at all.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Fwiw I like Yen more and I haven't read the books at all.

I feel like Triss and Geralt get all puppy dog eyed at each other for sure, but in terms of actual relationship Yen and Geralt are a bit better. Maybe it's just because of the dialogue choices I picked but I never really thought Yen was being unreasonably mad (she was butthurt for like 30 seconds and then got over it, what more do you want?) nor do I take her flirting slash bossiness as Geralt being henpecked or bitchiness or anything. They just seem comfortable enough to talk poo poo to each other and not have it be anything more than just playful banter, which makes sense since Yen mentioned they'd been doing their thing for like 15-20 years. They might as well be a married couple. Yeah she comes off as abrasive and a dick on the surface but she's definitely got her moments where she's just 'see I can be super reconciliatory I was just giving you poo poo lover :)'

Plus Yen's romance quests on Skellige are way more personal and meaningful vs Triss' 'damsel in distress and now I love you' routine.

Triss is like the waifu choice and Yen is the actual woman with personality choice.

I feel like a lot of people are overly sensitive to video game girls who don't just immediately jump on the player's dick. :shrug: I saw someone say Yen was being a bitch about some line and when I got to that line I laughed because it was obviously a playful joke at Geralt's expense (Trial of Grasses joke).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 8, 2015

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think you misunderstand what I said or something because literally everything I have said and you have contended so far is that you don't have to talk about the notes. They never have to be brought up once. You can, but you don't have to.

Keira can be convinced to go to Kaer Morhen without mentioning them at all.

I think that's what got me tripped up, because the whole point of going to Radovid was to leverage the plague cure, which involves... the notes. It's the centerpiece of the entire conversation. But yes I think we are both properly knowledgeable on how the quest can end.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's fair

It's just that convincing her not to go to Radovid doesn't require her to give you anything so it never has to be mentioned. You can just tell her it's dumb and that she shouldn't do it and that's what she'll do. You can still bring them up and convince her to also give you the notes, but that is not necessary to get her to go to Kaer Morhen. It's basically just a lore decision.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Antoine Silvere posted:

oh, coulda sworn he had a similar line in the witcher 1 but I could be mistaken :shrug:

is there a way to (Fyke Isle spoilers) not kill Keira Metz but also not let her take the bioweapon notes from that tower? I didn't really want to kill her but both conversation choices at that point seemed like the fight was gonna happen no matter what :( do you just have to not progress that questline or is there another way?

another question, I'm at the point where I'm near the end of Act 1 (i assume) and have to go to the Isle of Mist after gathering everyone I can at Kaer Morhen. About how far away am I from the end of the game?

I just finished this and I just continued to try to reason with her, and she makes it clear that she just wants some comfort and safety.

So I suggested she go to Kaer Mohran, because it's safe and she won't have to make a bio weapon. She agrees; however, there is another dialogue option at the end where you can ask her to give you the notes before she heads off to Kaer Mohran, which I didn't select.

I was maybe foolish and just trusted her not to use those notes. Who knows how it will ultimately play out though.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Moridin920 posted:

I feel like Triss and Geralt get all puppy dog eyed at each other for sure, but in terms of actual relationship Yen and Geralt are a bit better. Maybe it's just because of the dialogue choices I picked but I never really thought Yen was being unreasonably mad (she was butthurt for like 30 seconds and then got over it, what more do you want?) nor do I take her flirting slash bossiness as Geralt being henpecked or bitchiness or anything. They just seem comfortable enough to talk poo poo to each other and not have it be anything more than just playful banter, which makes sense since Yen mentioned they'd been doing their thing for like 15-20 years. They might as well be a married couple. Yeah she comes off as abrasive and a dick on the surface but she's definitely got her moments where she's just 'see I can be super reconciliatory I was just giving you poo poo lover :)'

Plus Yen's romance quests on Skellige are way more personal and meaningful vs Triss' 'damsel in distress and now I love you' routine.

Triss is like the waifu choice and Yen is the actual woman with personality choice.

I feel like a lot of people are overly sensitive to video game girls who don't just immediately jump on the player's dick. :shrug: I saw someone say Yen was being a bitch about some line and when I got to that line I laughed because it was obviously a playful joke at Geralt's expense (Trial of Grasses joke).

WoodrowSkillson posted:

triss your bottom bitch, sometimes a player gotta go with loyalty son

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Actually you cheat on Yennefer with Triss

Sleeping with Triss at all is like the opposite of loyalty

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Actually you cheat on Yennefer with Triss

Geralt just had "amnesia" :airquote: conveniently.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Locking Gwent cards behind one-time quests and events is pretty loving stupid.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Speaking of which, the console mod has been updated

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/143/

No need for ekimmara hides anymore but if you got hosed out of cards or just want to spare the trolls...

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CottonWolf posted:

Or you can go out the side exits with the goats, wait for the troll to de aggro, run in, steal the tools before Geralt draws his sword then escape while having successfully not killed a troll.

Don't kill trolls.

If a troll wants to be an rear end in a top hat, he can choke to death on three feet of steel.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Am I the only one who feels like Witcher 1 still has the best ambient soundtrack out of all the three games? 3 definitely has the best battle tracks, some of the ambient pieces are great too but they feel a bit repetetive because the loops are too short. I honestly can't remember ANY music from Witcher 2.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Am I the only one who feels like Witcher 1 still has the best ambient soundtrack out of all the three games? 3 definitely has the best battle tracks, some of the ambient pieces are great too but they feel a bit repetetive because the loops are too short. I honestly can't remember ANY music from Witcher 2.

Somehow I doubt you've forgotten about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhhq6PNHeVE.
Because it's the best.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

hagie posted:

Level ranges are weird, as long as it's not a ?? skull monster (out of your range) you're probably fine though it'll be tricky. Not sure what the exact math is but ?? monsters take greatly reduced damage from you.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah I greatly prefer Witcher 1's folksier OST. It was the best at being both atmospheric yet tuneful and memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wADy0zZkQMM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KvC9YlGbcA

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

FuriousGeorge posted:

Yeah I greatly prefer Witcher 1's folksier OST. It was the best at being both atmospheric yet tuneful and memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wADy0zZkQMM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KvC9YlGbcA

You can't start dropping links to the Witcher OST and not link to River of Life, c'mon now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKv0rtgI7mw

I'll agree that Witcher 2's OST is kind of forgettable, although their best tracks (the title theme and the sorceress theme) are pretty good, good enough to get remixes in 3 when appropriate.

I do like 3's OST a lot, enough that I'm a bit annoyed some of the more critical pieces aren't on the soundtrack they released, most notably something playing over a cutscene on the Isle of Mists which I hardly need to elaborate if you've seen it. The remix of Assassins of Kings is also really good.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Regarding Hjalmar's mission at Undvik: Do you have to kill the giant? I want to help him build his boat, dammit.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

triss is the doting dragon age waifu who will do anything to ride your dick including being a rapist. she's "friends" with yennifer and fully cognizant of geralt's relationship, but still tries to seduce that poo poo and clings around even if you reject her.

yennifer is almost like a real person in a decades long relationship with a snarky poo poo. who very understandably wants literally nothing to do with your dumb rear end if you dump her directly after her confession of love to you.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Well, that's what Hjalmar wants and you know what's happened. If you want to act like that, Skellige just might disagree :colbert:

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Triss drugged Geralt in the books apparently, then lied to him when he had amnesia in order to steal him for herself in the games. She's got problems.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

A really creepy moment was when a leshen moved behind a tree in the background and then appeared behind another tree much closer to me. Almost gave me a scare.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Broken Cog posted:

Lambert, Lambert, what a prick.

But seriously, I felt a bit sympathetic for him when he explained how he became a Witcher, and why he hated the guy who "Recruited" him. A good story to show why Witchers are often resented by a lot of people.

Yeah. Me too. Hopefully no one passed up on his explanation of his background. He's still a dick but I can totally understand why. Being forced into witcherdom and getting sent on "pointless" missions just to watch your boyhood friends get torn apart by monsters is pretty hosed up. Not to mention all the potion/mutagen torture they have to go through.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah. Me too. Hopefully no one passed up on his explanation of his background. He's still a dick but I can totally understand why. Being forced into witcherdom and getting sent on "pointless" missions just to watch your boyhood friends get torn apart by monsters is pretty hosed up. Not to mention all the potion/mutagen torture they have to go through.

There's also the story about how he got recruited in the first place. He and his mother lived with an alcoholic and abusive father. One day a Witcher happened to save the drunk father from a Drowner, and as payment demanded to take Lambert as a trainee WItcher.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Finished my card collection! It wasn't too tough, just make sure to play everyone when you first talk to them and buy the cards off innkeeps (plus a few random merchants in Velen - Midcopse, Crow's Perch, Claywich and maybe others). There are a good number more merchants than random cards, the last half dozen or so guys I played I didn't get any card reward, so you don't need to exhaustively hunt down and play every vendor for the random cards.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Broken Cog posted:

There's also the story about how he got recruited in the first place. He and his mother lived with an alcoholic and abusive father. One day a Witcher happened to save the drunk father from a Drowner, and as payment demanded to take Lambert as a trainee WItcher.

Actually, he asked for the first thing the father saw when he arrived home. I don't think they're precisely the same thing.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

Actually, he asked for the first thing the father saw when he arrived home. I don't think they're precisely the same thing.

Yeah that's the "Law of Surprise" which is A Thing in the Witcher universe. If you save someone's life you can ask for the first thing they see upon arriving home, which is often but not always a kid. A lot of Witchers, including Geralt, are "recruited" that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It always seems to be kids, which leads me to believe that Witchers stretch that definition as much as they do with their "code". I wonder what would happen if the first thing you'd see when you get home is the door to your house, or your wife.