Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

GobiasIndustries posted:

So, my interview on Tuesday that I thought went really well said they wanted to have a decision by the end of the week. It's 4:50 now and I haven't gotten a call or email; how bad of a sign is this?

I once had a company string me along for over a month, saying over and over "we haven't quite made a decision yet, we need the weekend/another week/a few more days/whatever"

Turns out they hired someone else but wanted me on the hook just in case it didn't work out. Anyway, I've learned to not take interviewers at their word necessarily haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

triplexpac posted:

I once had a company string me along for over a month, saying over and over "we haven't quite made a decision yet, we need the weekend/another week/a few more days/whatever"

Turns out they hired someone else but wanted me on the hook just in case it didn't work out. Anyway, I've learned to not take interviewers at their word necessarily haha.

Hurray!

Would Wednesday be an appropriate time for a follow-up call (interview was last Tuesday)?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hurray!

Would Wednesday be an appropriate time for a follow-up call (interview was last Tuesday)?

Have you done any sort of follow-up at all yet since the interview?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

triplexpac posted:

Have you done any sort of follow-up at all yet since the interview?

The day after the interview, I sent an email to the HR rep that interviewed me (it was her and the person who would be my manager) thanking her again for the opportunity to interview and the tour of the office she gave, then expanded on an answer to a question I didn't feel I fully addressed in the interview and how it would apply to the position I interviewed for. I thanked her again for the opportunity and asked her to forward my response to the potential manager (did not have any of her contact info) Didn't hear anything in response, but I wasn't expecting anything since what do you really say to that?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hurray!

Yes, you have my permission to follow-up on Wednesday.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
So Ive been having trouble getting a new job for a while and recently worked with a friend to revamp my resume, focusing more on specific achievements and quantifying impact. It wasn't bad before, but now it's really good. Anyways, the point is I went from not being able to getting an interview for 4 months to 3 in 2 days. It is amazing how much that stuff matters. Definitely worth getting someone to review your resume with a critical eye.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have a somewhat impromptu interview tomorrow morning and was thinking it would be a good idea to take a few copies of my resume with me for their future reference. Would it make sense to include a cover letter with each copy as well, or have I moved past the point where I need a cover letter for introductory purposes?

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
Just bring your resume. You being there replaces the cover letter.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks, the interview went well even if it's not the ideal role (but being broke for much longer might change my tune). And while interviewing there, someone else called me wanting me to come interview with them on Monday! :toot:
Changing gears a bit, I've been in semi-regular talks with a couple different recruiters (twice a week on average) for a few weeks now. Both were supposed to have updates on their respective areas for me on Monday, I called both on Monday and left messages but haven't spoken to either of them since last Friday. Is it worth pursuing them much longer, or does the silent treatment mean I should focus my efforts elsewhere? Both had pretty attractive roles for me so I don't want to give up early, but I think I know what the lack of communication means.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I sent in a resume this morning and already had a reply back around noon asking me to come in for an interview in 2 days. It's for a design position where they want 5+ years experience.

Is it weird that I find them getting back to me so quickly a warning sign?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

triplexpac posted:

I sent in a resume this morning and already had a reply back around noon asking me to come in for an interview in 2 days. It's for a design position where they want 5+ years experience.

Is it weird that I find them getting back to me so quickly a warning sign?
yes, this isn't 1998 dating, you don't wait three days to give her a call

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

e: didn't realize there was a salary negotiation thread so I'll move my question there. In any case, thank you to this thread for helping me prep for an interview that went really well this morning!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Had a very promising phone interview today. At the end came this classic question:

"Do you have any other applications pending with other companies?"

I was honest and said yes, but none of them were at an advanced stage and I wasn't in any rush to take just anything. What's the thinking on how to answer this? A brief google find contradictory advice.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

outlier posted:

Had a very promising phone interview today. At the end came this classic question:

"Do you have any other applications pending with other companies?"

I was honest and said yes, but none of them were at an advanced stage and I wasn't in any rush to take just anything. What's the thinking on how to answer this? A brief google find contradictory advice.

Personally I think it doesn't hurt to tell them there are other possible interested parties. Wouldn't that make you look more appealing, and that they shouldn't drag their feet in moving things forward if they're interested in you?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
You want to say yes, and that you've had interest. Saying no doesn't make you look more committed to this particular position - it makes you look unmarketable. Of course everyone applies multiple places.

It's a good question to hear actually, since it usually means you haven't hosed up and are in the running.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Lol, I think I creeped out a recruiter. She left me a voicemail and then didn't pick up her phone for a week when I called back (like 4-5 times) and she didn't have a voicemail box set up. So she finally calls me back like "I have a bunch of missed calls, who is this? Why do you keep calling?"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I have two interviews lined up for Monday. The one later on in the day is the job I'm much more interested in, so it's kind of nice to have a warm up interview beforehand haha.

ge.hale
Feb 1, 2006
Alright, back again with my resume.

Xandu has helped me tremendously in getting my resume fixed up but I want to get some more eyes on it.

I added a Skills section but I'm not sure what all to put there, you'll see that is unfinished. I use a couple of different internal tools to build the products I mention on my resume. No one else is going to know these by name but I want to find a way to include them. I'll try to give a rough explanation of how the one I use most often works to see if that will help with any tips:

Use interface to create question
Give question different answers
Attach those answers to an item database
Give items a formula for the system to use (ex: [surface a * factor = result])

This is a very simple way of explaining it but that's the gist. The questions/answers/items then appear in an in-software interface and allow the user to create a result that is based on the answers given and the item formulas.

Anyway, here is my current resume:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fSOOtaoStSin4mHNEZHhqFB1wk5_Wrf8GzRccEZwCVw/edit?usp=sharing

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So, the interview I thought went really well, turns out they're going with someone else. That someone else is an 8-month pregnant coworker of mine and they are extending the start date for the position (which they mentioned in the interview they wanted to fill ASAP) to two months after her expected due date.

In all honesty said coworker is great and will do a great job, but man, what a confidence killer :smith:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Finally found the resume thread. I'm looking for entry-level IT support/helpdesk work.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JsH70ctiDQVRVUeIS8dWQbKnibmhsD3ji3i4cGYmE3Q/edit?usp=sharing

The downside is that I'm still in-process getting A+ cert and have only 1 job exp. Thanks.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Alder posted:

Finally found the resume thread. I'm looking for entry-level IT support/helpdesk work.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JsH70ctiDQVRVUeIS8dWQbKnibmhsD3ji3i4cGYmE3Q/edit?usp=sharing

The downside is that I'm still in-process getting A+ cert and have only 1 job exp. Thanks.
I'm not going to sugar-coat it: the formatting is terrible and the resume content is awful. I've marked it up here:
https://docs.google.com/a/holyhandgrenade.org/document/d/1JVynkx21vj1UJ6IgaPHNrkaj4jBa6_Orjgsx1_lgNl8/edit?usp=sharing

First, find a resume template that looks good and looks like you put some effort into it aesthetically. (If it has good content, take note of how people try to sell their accomplishments.) There are vocations where this really doesn't matter, but if you're selling yourself on web design skills and design sensibility, the design of this document is a big turnoff.

Second, think like a hiring manager. If you were a seasoned IT professional looking to add someone to your team, what would you be looking for? What would prove to you that they know what they're doing and would be an asset to the organization? If you don't know, start doing research on how people hire for technical positions -- this is important insider information for your future interviews. Your job from the resume through the interview (and probably beyond, for a while) is to sell yourself as the best possible candidate for the position. You need to make sure people read it and think that they cannot afford not to hire you (or at least bring you in for the interview). This means talking yourself up, talking about your accomplishments, and how you've improved the company you work for while you've been there. It doesn't mean listing a dump of skills like a catalog.

I know from SH/SC that you're a really enthusiastic person and you're really passionate and gung-ho about moving forward in this industry. It's one of your strongest personality traits, out of what I've gotten from your posting. I'd love to see that enthusiasm actually come through in your resume.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 12, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm not going to sugar-coat it: the formatting is terrible and the resume content is awful.

Hmm---I can't see the edits and I even downloaded it to check it via Word jic?

I tried to copy this resume format: https://www.resume.com/sample "Improved Traditional." I figured readability and simplicity would be best as I checked a few of my former HS classmates and their Linkedin profiles were somewhat confusing.

I see. Mostly, I'm not sure if I have many accomplishments other than a variety of skills I picked up to keep the site from collapsing on itself over time.

Apart from that one job place I've never done any kind of IT support/helpdesk work. Let's see I built a website with Ghost and Wordpress? I'm learning Python? I attended college? I like reading about technology? I work fine under high-stress conditions? Yeah.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Alder posted:

Hmm---I can't see the edits and I even downloaded it to check it via Word jic?

I tried to copy this resume format: https://www.resume.com/sample "Improved Traditional." I figured readability and simplicity would be best as I checked a few of my former HS classmates and their Linkedin profiles were somewhat confusing.

I see. Mostly, I'm not sure if I have many accomplishments other than a variety of skills I picked up to keep the site from collapsing on itself over time.

Apart from that one job place I've never done any kind of IT support/helpdesk work. Let's see I built a website with Ghost and Wordpress? I'm learning Python? I attended college? I like reading about technology? I work fine under high-stress conditions? Yeah.
Docs permissions are weird -- try now.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Ahhhh, holy poo poo! I had a casual in person interview with this week and have been chosen as one of three to come back to the company's office next week to have a more formal interview with 3 execs, 30 minutes each. It's a rotational financial management training role with a Fortune 50 company and I'm feeling good but also nervous as hell. My recruiter says they will be hiring based on personality and potential and that I should just be myself. However being the spaz I am, I get hella nervous anyway and I never feel like my interviewing skills are up to par.

If they ask for strengths and weaknesses, or what I bring to the team/company, is it lame or okay if I focus more on the personality side of things? I have 4 years of financial analyst experience, so they kind of assume all the candidates can do the math and excel portion (which I can).

I've read this before in interview articles, but is it really a good idea to ask the interviewer what their concerns are with you? I genuinely want to know but I see it all the time so I didn't know if it was a gimmick.

e: Also, they asked me the "where do you see yourself in 5 years" question - I loving hate that question. What do you goons think is a good answer that isn't generic BS?

Im A Lime fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 12, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Susical posted:

Ahhhh, holy poo poo! I had a casual in person interview with this week and have been chosen as one of three to come back to the company's office next week to have a more formal interview with 3 execs, 30 minutes each. It's a rotational financial management training role with a Fortune 50 company and I'm feeling good but also nervous as hell. My recruiter says they will be hiring based on personality and potential and that I should just be myself. However being the spaz I am, I get hella nervous anyway and I never feel like my interviewing skills are up to par.

If they ask for strengths and weaknesses, or what I bring to the team/company, is it lame or okay if I focus more on the personality side of things? I have 4 years of financial analyst experience, so they kind of assume all the candidates can do the math and excel portion (which I can).
First, congrats and good luck!

Second, it's not lame at all, and it's good to practice different approaches and have responses in mind for certain situations, but do try to feel out from the interviewers what they're actually looking for before you accidentally emphasize all the wrong things. Maybe they want someone with hard technical skills, or maybe they do want someone with a personality that's going to mesh well and round out the team. Try to suss out their idea of the perfect candidate, and they'll effectively tell you how to sell yourself.

Susical posted:

I've read this before in interview articles, but is it really a good idea to ask the interviewer what their concerns are with you? I genuinely want to know but I see it all the time so I didn't know if it was a gimmick.
I never like being asked this up front, because it puts me on the spot to potentially offend the candidate. You can be sneaky about it, though, and ask what the interviewer thinks your biggest challenges might be at the company, which puts you in a great position to actually address those without sounding like you're defending yourself.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 12, 2015

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Susical posted:

e: Also, they asked me the "where do you see yourself in 5 years" question - I loving hate that question. What do you goons think is a good answer that isn't generic BS?

I'd say one position above the one you're interviewing for, depending on the position. I think 5 years is a realistic time period to make a step up the ladder, if not two, and saying as such wouldn't be bad at all. If you're interviewing for a position that's considered terminal in your industry, just state that realistically it would be an end-game type of job for you. If that doesn't work or it is a terminal position, are there any professional certifications or organizations that you don't have/aren't a member of that would be realistic to achieve within that timeframe?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Susical posted:

Celebrating the five year anniversary of you asking me this question.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
...Mitch Hedburg?

E: Just to have some purpose to this post, this time last week I was waist-deep with two recruiters for some pretty respectable positions in the area, but I hadn't interviewed for any jobs in the area (nor scheduled any). As of today, both of those recruiters have stopped returning my calls, but I had an interview on Wednesday and I have an interview elsewhere on Monday and possibly a third interview next week too, none of which I knew about before this week. gently caress the job hunting roller-coaster, the worst part is that I've been too stressed out about being broke to play any video games with all of this free time :arghfist::(.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 13, 2015

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Susical posted:

That question is a sign of a lazy interviewer. It's almost as bad as the "What's your biggest weakness?" question. Just spout generic BS, because it's a sign that the interviewer doesn't know poo poo about interviewing.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

Docs permissions are weird -- try now.

Thanks for the suggestions. Although some of the questions I feel like I don't have answers to right now. When I did work at the business it had 2 people including me. I was assigned whatever no one else wanted to do anywhere from creating email promotions to updating website.

As a result my work history is extremely spotty and I'm trying to fix that by finding more structured courses either online or at college. I might just switch to a full-time customer service role as I can probably add more info than IT Technician.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Alder posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. Although some of the questions I feel like I don't have answers to right now. When I did work at the business it had 2 people including me. I was assigned whatever no one else wanted to do anywhere from creating email promotions to updating website.
But you called yourself an Assistant Manager. Who were you managing?

Alder posted:

As a result my work history is extremely spotty and I'm trying to fix that by finding more structured courses either online or at college. I might just switch to a full-time customer service role as I can probably add more info than IT Technician.
I really feel like you're trying really really hard to avoid quantifying even a little bit what your work experience actually is.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

On a somewhat random note, I found this website to have a good guide on how to write a one page concise resume:
http://www.careercup.com/resume

example resume with 12 points highlighted for the design:

Even has the template to download so you can spin the basic format for your current career field:
http://www.careercup.com/static_html/Gayle_McDowell_CareerCup_Sample_Resume.doc

Template is for programming/software engineer type jobs but can easily changed to match your current field.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thanks will try again w/that template posted above. Are self-taught skills quantifiable? I could post a history of my college courses/GPA but it's not at all impressive :v:

Also, I started coding projects but never completed them due to irl problems. Not sure if I should include a list of things I started but stopped halfway.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

etalian posted:

On a somewhat random note, I found this website to have a good guide on how to write a one page concise resume:
http://www.careercup.com/resume

example resume with 12 points highlighted for the design:

Even has the template to download so you can spin the basic format for your current career field:
http://www.careercup.com/static_html/Gayle_McDowell_CareerCup_Sample_Resume.doc

Template is for programming/software engineer type jobs but can easily changed to match your current field.

I generally agree with that but I'm a little unsure based on some feedback I've gotten on my resume in the past few weeks. A lot of stuff that would be considered extraneous by this list are things that recruiters & hiring managers have specifically mentioned when discussing my resume. Maybe they're just doing that to be nice but it probably more hinges on the specific position.

Also my resume is two pages with only a couple years experience, but all the important stuff is on the first page :v:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alder posted:

Thanks will try again w/that template posted above. Are self-taught skills quantifiable? I could post a history of my college courses/GPA but it's not at all impressive :v:

Also, I started coding projects but never completed them due to irl problems. Not sure if I should include a list of things I started but stopped halfway.

Yeah anything is fair game to include if it's something that's connected to the original job listing.

C-Euro posted:

I generally agree with that but I'm a little unsure based on some feedback I've gotten on my resume in the past few weeks. A lot of stuff that would be considered extraneous by this list are things that recruiters & hiring managers have specifically mentioned when discussing my resume. Maybe they're just doing that to be nice but it probably more hinges on the specific position.

Also my resume is two pages with only a couple years experience, but all the important stuff is on the first page :v:

Well resumes and what you need to include can vary greatly especially if you are industry like film making or graphics design. The basic template I listed is more handy for writing a short resume for tech/engineering jobs.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is it a requirement to send a follow up thank you note after the interview to the hiring manager?

I feel that it seems a little pushy and sometimes too much. If you made a great impression, do you really have to add another step with an email? However, I'm not sure since I've never been in a position to interview people before. I'm on the fence with this.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 14, 2015

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

Is it a requirement to send a follow up thank you note after the interview to the hiring manager?

I feel that it seems a little pushy and sometimes too much. If you made a great impression, do you really have to add another step with an email? However, I'm not sure since I've never been in a position to interview people before. I'm on the fence with this.

I've sent a thank you note after every interview I've ever been on. It can only help your progress IMO - if a thank you letter would take points away from your chances then wtf is wrong with them. The recruiter I've been working with requires me to send a note within 24-48 hours with her copied. I've even gotten replies from some VPs and very high up execs. I don't send anything fancy, I think this is a good guide.
http://speakupforsuccess.com/6056/thank-you-note/

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

You really should send thank-you notes, it really does make you stand out (still, despite every career site in the world saying to do this.)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Busy Bee posted:

I do, but in my mind the goal of a thank-you note is equal parts expressing gratitude and making sure they remember you. The template is usually follow is

quote:

"Dear [Hiring Manager], thank you for giving me the opportunity to interview for the open [Position Title] at [Company Name] today. [Write a sentence about something specific from your interview, you did take notes right?]. Please keep me informed about next steps in the hiring process and I look forward to hearing from you soon!"

You want to first show that the interview was important to you, then do something that helps them remember both your individual interview and the fact that you took an extra step to say thanks. For example, the hiring manager I spoke to on Wednesday said he was out of town Thursday and Friday, so by writing him a thank-you message he can see that on Monday and remember "oh yeah, C-Euro was that interview" when making a decision Monday/Tuesday (I hope :ohdear:)

I don't know about sending a physical card though, that seem crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

I don't know about sending a physical card though, that seem crazy.

Depending on the timeframe of the hiring process, a physical card may not even get there in time, so email is usually better for a follow-up thank you.

That being said, I've begun sending thank-you cards via USPS for interviews that went really well where I wasn't offered the position; one of the three times I've done this I was offered a different position with no interview necessary after someone else in the company left (this was 5 months later) and the other got me a great referral that led to my previous job. The third time I don't know the outcome of since I just put them in the mail on Friday. More than anything, thank you letters show you were enthusiastic about the position and the company, so don't think of them as being pushy at all.