Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Obsidian is cool. Pillars of Eternity is a good game, I don't have a degree in ludology or whatever nerd poo poo, but the mechanics mostly feel right to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

Faction based is just as dumb, in fact. There's no difference between them, they're reskins of each other

i agree. give me a guided story where your side is picked for you, as are all your allies.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Volkerball posted:

i agree. give me a guided story where your side is picked for you, as are all your allies.

Or don't include factions at all and don't try to tell a narrative story

What you're describing is literally a choose your own adventure fanfiction.net style Goku vs Superman story, replacing Goku and Superman with organizations from the original Fallout. Which I guess is fine if that's your thing, but it's not mine

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Volkerball posted:

the kind of game you can play for hundreds of hours and still think of something new and fun to try.

To be fair, that also applies to New Vegas and Skyrim. So really, just do something as good as New Vegas, but a little better looking and more cool stuff.

quote:

their games are so ugly and retardedly designed as to barely qualify as video games at all

I feel like I should call you a fetcher or something.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

icantfindaname posted:

What you're describing is literally a choose your own adventure fanfiction.net style Goku vs Superman story, replacing Goku and Superman with organizations from the original Fallout. Which I guess is fine if that's your thing, but it's not mine

How is this like fanfiction. It's called interaction, that's what video games are known for.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

it's more like a goosebumps choose your own adventure book combined with mad libs. owns.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

How is this like fanfiction.

Because it cuts up another story and uses its elements and characters in situations where they don't fit. It's badly written

Volkerball posted:

it's more like a goosebumps choose your own adventure book combined with mad libs. owns.

So it's a bad story for children at best, and spergy nerds at worst. A Good Post :tipshat:

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
You really wouldnt think bethesda are fans of fallout since they dont seem to know or care about anything thats good about it

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

You should consider changing your name to "icantfindabrain"

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

So it's a bad story for children at best, and spergy nerds at worst. A Good Post :tipshat:

It's a fun game with tons of poo poo to do and choices to make. Sorry you can't appreciate it. :shrug:

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Cool thing I'd like to see in 4: Bonus perks for building a skill up to 100. Combat skills could have bonuses to stuff like crit rate, weapon degradation and/or accuracy boosts. Crafting skills could allow items requiring that skill to be crafted anywhere. Lockpick could have a 100% force lock success rate for average locks or below (or replace the Infiltrator perk). Barter could allow a greater number of caps available from any merchant. Speech might give you an option to temporarily render an ambush party non-hostile (like Legion Assassins).

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Xavier434 posted:

Sigh...I really think you are getting needlessly aggressive. All of them are appealing to me except the AP and Mysterious stranger one. I enjoy playing games like this with very high accuracy and it is true that there are a lot of perks in the game but most(all?) of the perks that increase accuracy are tied to VATS. I am not sure why the game would be any less fun for someone if a perk provided the player with "+25% accuracy with one-handed weapons" instead of "+25% accuracy in V.A.T.S. with one-handed weapons", but maybe it does? I would be interested to learn why.

Hmmm. I actually think I understand where you're coming from here, and in that regard it's caused me to look deeper into how the game calculates accuracy and hit chances and such,

I'm at work so many of the pages I'd normally turn for calculations are blocked, but I've found a few which claim to have information regarding weapon spread. If I'm reading these correctly...

Accuracy when you're not in VATS is simply weapon spread, and it has modifiers based on crouching, aiming down the sights, weapon skill, etc. The thing is that you can NEVER reduce accuracy below a specific 'minimum spread' value that each weapon has. With 0 skill in a weapon you can reduce spread by 79% just by crouching and using iron sights. Reduce weapon spread enough and use the right weapon and it becomes literally impossible to miss a target outside of VATS if it's close enough. With 100% skill in a weapon you can reduce spread by 100%, down to the minimum value of the weapon, without having to crouch OR aim down the sight.

VATS however seems to apply other modifiers that make things less clear. I'm at work so many of the pages I'd usually go to for formulas are blocked, but consider the following. For one, no 'accuracy' can go beyond 95%. You can (And I have) miss shots from 3 feet away because you hit that magical 5% critical miss chance. Distance is also figured into VATS calculations differently than just adjusting for weapon spread. I'm also unsure whether or not ADS factors into VATS, though I'm fairly sure that crouching does. Likewise there's always a minimum of a 5% chance to hit no matter what other penalties or how low your skill is. Since it's more like a dice roll than actual aiming skill this is where accuracy becomes more vital. So VATS doesn't just check to see 'if aiming at the enemy, do my shots hit?' it also has a sort of 'Am I even aiming properly in the first place' check. And that's where accuracy becomes much more important.

So outside of VATS the only way to make accuracy count would be to either act as yet another bonus to reduce weapon spread (Which would make the perk worthless at 100 skill) or reduce weapon spread beyond the weapon minimum, which would be good for some weapons and useless for others. It'd likely also screw with the weapons in many other ways, such as potentially producing a shotgun with hardly any spread at all.

TL;DR version - Accuracy is mostly worthless outside of VATS because at low skill crouch + ADS reduces weapon spread by 79%, at at high skill you approach 100% anyway making other bonuses worthless. Reducing weapon spread with perks would make accuracy worthwhile by making miniguns and shotguns laser-accurate at long distances which the devs didn't want.

khy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 8, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Filthy Casual posted:

Uhh, RPGs may not be for you, then.

RPGs I don't mind, Neverwinter Nights is a lot of fun (assuming you play a spellcaster) but fallout suffers I think from trying to have a numbers based game with an FPS interface.

Essentially it has some of the same problems Morrowind had. I'm hoping that with Skyrim and FNV the game might be more of an FPS with RPG elements rather than an RPG with an FPS interface.

Chomp8645 posted:

Witcher 3 has retroactively made all Bethesda games bad.

They used to be good, but in a post Witcher 3 world they are bad.

People said that about witcher 2 and I can't stand that game. It's a CYOA with travel time and graphics and the pages of about three mills and boone novels mixed in.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 8, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

Witcher 3 has retroactively made all Bethesda games bad.

They used to be good, but in a post Witcher 3 world they are bad.

I liked Witcher 3 quite a bit but I am on the unpopular side of this opinion. Despite how much I liked Witcher 3 and how much I think they did a better job at the quality of stories and how they tied those into the quest system I still enjoyed Skyrim quite a bit more overall. I also liked Witcher 3's 3rd person combat more than Skyrim 3rd person combat but I mostly play TES games as 1st so this isn't much of a comparison.

If I could blend W3's story telling and 3rd person combat with Skyrim's...everything else then I would be pretty darn happy. They are both great games.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 8, 2015

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

OwlFancier posted:

RPGs I don't mind, Neverwinter Nights is a lot of fun (assuming you play a spellcaster) but fallout suffers I think from trying to have a numbers based game with an FPS interface.

Essentially it has some of the same problems Morrowind had. I'm hoping that with Skyrim and FNV the game might be more of an FPS with RPG elements rather than an RPG with an FPS interface.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're not talking about the original campaign because that's the most tedious poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Never finished the original campaign but I liked what I did play of it. Mostly played hordes of the underdark because that gave you more stuff more quickly. I think now though I might like the original a bit better if I went back and played it.

If you're playing as anything but a wizard or cleric though yeah it's boring. Don't play fighter in 3.5, play spell collection pokemon instead.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't get the "Fallout 3 is fanfiction" thing. It's not fanfiction if the folks writing the property own the property. It's just... ya know, fiction by the author.

If anything, New Vegas is the fan fiction. The folks who don't own the property writing their own little side-story, safely isolated 2,453 miles away / 37 days (as the Courier walks) from the real action/story.

New Vegas, as a city, is no different than picking a random three-digit number and putting the word "Vault" in front of it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

I don't get the "Fallout 3 is fanfiction" thing. It's not fanfiction if the folks writing the property own the property. It's just... ya know, fiction by the author.

If anything, New Vegas is the fan fiction. The folks who don't own the property writing their own little side-story, safely isolated 2,453 miles away / 37 days (as the Courier walks) from the real action/story.
reminder that this person thinks the deathclaw and radscorpion pit is something you should be able to take on your first time without observation and game knowledge and is "bad game design" instead of a set of beef barriers for clever players (who don't exist as a concept to MisterBibs) to bypass

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 8, 2015

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

You remember how the original campaign started with you collecting the ingredients for the plague cure?

Yeah just do that I think three more times. Also there's some lizard people hiding from an ice age inside a rock, and they're trying to get out of the rock to take over the world again.

It's... it's not good.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

MisterBibs posted:

New Vegas, as a city, is no different than picking a random three-digit number and putting the word "Vault" in front of it.

you da man bibs

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lord Chumley posted:

you da man bibs

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Xavier434 posted:

I liked Witcher 3 quite a bit but I am on the unpopular side of this opinion. Despite how much I liked Witcher 3 and how much I think they did a better job at the quality of stories and how they tied those into the quest system I still enjoyed Skyrim quite a bit more overall.

Your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad about having it.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I hadn't heard people say this and googling 'fallout 3 is fanfiction' doesn't produce any useful statements.

That said, I agree with you. I don't think it should be up to the fans to determine what is or is not canon. It's up to the person/company/whomever is in control of the IP to determine that. We may love or hate their decisions but in the end they're the ones who own the IP so they're the ones who get to decide.

It's sort of like movies IMO. If the producer/company/whomever really hates a movie enough to disavow its existence and move on with the overall story while pretending the movie never happened (I'm looking at you, Highlander 2) then that movie is canonically invalid. Otherwise even if the fans hate it so long as the company doesn't disavow its existence, Phantom Menace and Midichlorians will still be Canon no matter what XxStormTrooper95xX thinks on his tumblr.

It IS up to the fans to speak in a loud enough voice to tell the developer/producer/company/whomever what they think and if enough fans speak in a loud enough voice... well, things might change.

And if the developer/producer chooses to ignore the fans, well, that's life.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

khy posted:

I hadn't heard people say this and googling 'fallout 3 is fanfiction' doesn't produce any useful statements.

That said, I agree with you. I don't think it should be up to the fans to determine what is or is not canon. It's up to the person/company/whomever is in control of the IP to determine that. We may love or hate their decisions but in the end they're the ones who own the IP so they're the ones who get to decide.

It's sort of like movies IMO. If the producer/company/whomever really hates a movie enough to disavow its existence and move on with the overall story while pretending the movie never happened (I'm looking at you, Highlander 2) then that movie is canonically invalid.

It IS up to the fans to speak in a loud enough voice to tell the developer/producer/company/whomever what they think and if enough fans speak in a loud enough voice... well, things might change.

Fallout 4 seems to take place in somewhere that's not a completely irradiated shithole which is the complaint everyone had with 3 for it being set 200 years after the war, since plants should have at least started to grow at that point.

In the one minute we've seen, there's lots of people! And living things! And baseball. Even if it turns out to be a lovely theme park like Skyrim it's still improvement.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Fallout 3 was just woefully unambitious in its story which is why you got some weird greatest hits of fallout 1 and 2

WATER

GECK

ENCALVE AND SUPER MUTANTS OH NOOOOOOOOOOO

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Fallout 4 seems to take place in somewhere that's not a completely irradiated shithole which is the complaint everyone had with 3 for it being set 200 years after the war.

There's people! And living things! And baseball. Even if it turns out to be a lovely theme park like Skyrim it's still improvement.

Granted. Though I have heard some interesting theories about why the capital wasteland was as lovely as it was. Being, y'know, the CAPITOL and all, got 'special attention' in that the warheads that struck were likely intended to be more damaging/long lasting because of its importance to the country, and the desire to prevent rebuilding for as long as possible.

I mean, if you have ten nukes and half of them are far more potent and leave longer-lasting effects than the other, you'd probably want to use the more potent ones for more important targets, right? and DC would be an awfully important target.

They're just theories but they do seem to make sense.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They added a dad that died within one hour, which was better than Uriel Septim's 5 minutes

He lasted like 40 in my game because I just didn't get around to the MQ for aaaaaaaaaages. I was having too much fun exploring and pretending to be friendly with vampires while I stole everything they ever owned ever.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Shugojin posted:

Fallout 3 was just woefully unambitious in its story which is why you got some weird greatest hits of fallout 1 and 2

WATER

GECK

ENCALVE AND SUPER MUTANTS OH NOOOOOOOOOOO
They added a dad that died within one hour, which was better than Uriel Septim's 5 minutes

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

khy posted:

The "Fallout 3 is fanfiction" thing isn't about FO3 not being canon. Or at least I haven't seen it used in that way.
It's more about how FO3 feels like it's written by fans of the original games who when they got a hold of the IP, instead of broadening it and doing their own thing with it, did a retread of the original stuff they were a fan off (see quest for water, supermutants, BoS, Enclave, etc).

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
I love fallout games. All of them. I loved 3 and also new vegas. I love VATS. VATS is great fun. I'm going to play the gently caress out of fallout 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYV95uWFGyo

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

khy posted:

It was brought up twice in the last dozen pages of this thread or so, and was commonly mentioned in other Fallout threads. I wouldn't have brought it up had someone not mentioned it in this thread :)

khy posted:

Fallout, as a 'fan community', is notoriously fractured. The only broad commonality Fallout fans share, really, is liking what Bethesda has done with Fallout. The drama arises from those outside that commonality not liking that commonality.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

khy posted:

Granted. Though I have heard some interesting theories about why the capital wasteland was as lovely as it was. Being, y'know, the CAPITOL and all, got 'special attention' in that the warheads that struck were likely intended to be more damaging/long lasting because of its importance to the country, and the desire to prevent rebuilding for as long as possible.

I mean, if you have ten nukes and half of them are far more potent and leave longer-lasting effects than the other, you'd probably want to use the more potent ones for more important targets, right? and DC would be an awfully important target.

They're just theories but they do seem to make sense.

He lasted like 40 in my game because I just didn't get around to the MQ for aaaaaaaaaages. I was having too much fun exploring and pretending to be friendly with vampires while I stole everything they ever owned ever.

Here's a theory: Bethesda had no idea what to do with the setting and ended up making a lot of mistakes in regards to world/lore huilding

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

reminder that this person thinks the deathclaw and radscorpion pit is something you should be able to take on your first time without observation and game knowledge and is "bad game design" instead of a set of beef barriers for clever players (who don't exist as a concept to MisterBibs) to bypass

You're alright, Anime Schoolgirl. I knew I recognized old bibs' name from some awful opinion.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

khy posted:

It's sort of like movies IMO. If the producer/company/whomever really hates a movie enough to disavow its existence and move on with the overall story while pretending the movie never happened (I'm looking at you, Highlander 2) then that movie is canonically invalid. Otherwise even if the fans hate it so long as the company doesn't disavow its existence, Phantom Menace and Midichlorians will still be Canon no matter what XxStormTrooper95xX thinks on his tumblr.

I'm saying Fallout 3 and New Vegas are badly written games. I don't give a gently caress about canon or the authors' ownership of the property and my critique is not that they're using a property that they don't have a right to or whatever, it's that the characters and dialogue and story is bad and that it is prominent enough in those games to worsen the experience for me. The Fallout world doesn't feel fleshed out enough to me to be able to just plunk the player down in it and say "have fun" with a boilerplate main quest like Skyrim, so they have to shoehorn in terrible narrative poo poo with the factions and make that the focus of the game

khy posted:

They're just theories but they do seem to make sense

My theory is that it's a bad game with bad map designers

Raygereio posted:

The "Fallout 3 is fanfiction" thing isn't about FO3 not being canon. Or at least I haven't seen it used in that way.
It's more about how FO3 feels like it's written by fans of the original games who when they got a hold of the IP, instead of broadening it and doing their own thing with it, did a retread of the original stuff they were a fan off (see quest for water, supermutants, BoS, Enclave, etc).

Yeah basically

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

traveling the wasteland shooting guns

by god i'm getting too old for this
-
dad, fallout 3

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fereydun posted:

traveling the wasteland shooting guns

by god i'm getting too old for this
-
dad, fallout 3
I think the best mod for Fallout 3 was the one where the cash register sound was replaced with a laugh track to make moments like that really, really funny. Not sure where that is anymore, but at least you could make one real easily.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

It was brought up twice in the last dozen pages of this thread or so, and was commonly mentioned in other Fallout threads. I wouldn't have brought it up had someone not mentioned it in this thread :)

Want to know a secret?

I really want to replay Fallout 3 but at the same time I wonder if I did that it would ruin my fond memories of the game.

That's the reason I'm currently replaying FNV instead of FO3.

icantfindaname posted:

I'm saying Fallout 3 and New Vegas are badly written games. I don't give a gently caress about canon or the authors' ownership of the property and my critique is not that they're using a property that they don't have a right to or whatever, it's that the characters and dialogue and story is bad and that it is prominent enough in those games to worsen the experience for me. The Fallout world doesn't feel fleshed out enough to me to be able to just plunk the player down in it and say "have fun" with a boilerplate main quest like Skyrim, so they have to shoehorn in terrible narrative poo poo with the factions and make that the focus of the game

I've heard many people say that about FO3 but I was under the impression that most people really liked the FNV storyline, progression, setting, etc.

So icantfindaname do you think that you're going to be skipping Fallout 4 since you disliked the previous two entries in the series?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

khy posted:

Want to know a secret?

I really want to replay Fallout 3 but at the same time I wonder if I did that it would ruin my fond memories of the game.

That's the reason I'm currently replaying FNV instead of FO3.
If you want to replay Fallout 3 please for the love of gently caress replay it with TTW, Fallout 3 did not have the engine fixes that Obsidian put in to make pretty much everything less annoying, like the 16 million refid bug because Bethesda never thought you'd have to recycle those after 100 hours of playing, which is why Fallout 3 saves eventually become completely unrecoverable since the 24 bit address referencing temporary refids would be completely filled

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Here's a theory: Bethesda had no idea what to do with the setting and ended up making a lot of mistakes in regards to world/lore huilding

icantfindaname posted:

My theory is that it's a bad game with bad map designers

Groundbreaking theories itt

True though.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

khy posted:

I've heard many people say that about FO3 but I was under the impression that most people really liked the FNV storyline, progression, setting, etc.

So icantfindaname do you think that you're going to be skipping Fallout 4 since you disliked the previous two entries in the series?

I'll probably buy it and play some because I'm dumb and gay and like being mad about bad media on the internet, but I don't think I'll put hundreds of hours into it no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

If you want to replay Fallout 3 please for the love of gently caress replay it with TTW, Fallout 3 did not have the engine fixes that Obsidian put in to make pretty much everything less annoying, like the 16 million refid bug because Bethesda never thought you'd have to recycle those after 100 hours of playing, which is why Fallout 3 saves eventually become completely unrecoverable since the 24 bit address referencing temporary refids would be completely filled

I likely will. Why else do you think I asked like half a dozen times about TTW over in the FNV modding thread? :v:

• Locked thread