Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Stannis: The fewer of two evils

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Drunk in Space posted:

It was pretty stupidly on the nose. I probably wouldn't have had her say it at all.

Similarly, everyone I was watching the show with legit rolled their eyes when Ramsey actually said "blah blah something something FEAST FOR CROWS" last week. That's some poo poo the godawful Game of Thrones game did (not the cool Telltale one, the lovely one that rips off The Witcher). Who thought that was a good loving idea?

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
Why did Robb raise an army back in season one? Why didn't he just send Ramsay and 20 good men to free Eddard? :confused:

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Popular Human posted:

Similarly, everyone I was watching the show with legit rolled their eyes when Ramsey actually said "blah blah something something FEAST FOR CROWS" last week. That's some poo poo the godawful Game of Thrones game did (not the cool Telltale one, the lovely one that rips off The Witcher). Who thought that was a good loving idea?

holy poo poo this thread

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Torgo2727 posted:

Why did Robb raise an army back in season one? Why didn't he just send Ramsay and 20 good men to free Eddard? :confused:

the writers weren't as good back in season 1

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Midnight City posted:

Are you absolutely loving retarded? I listed several dragons that were killed by ranged weapons, civilian rioters managed to kill some, my "main evidence" wasn't Drogon at all, in fact I didn't even mention him until posts after that. Now I know why you keep responding to poo poo 10 pages in the past.

But just to list them because I'm sure you'll ignore it and keep spouting off whatever inane poo poo you're going to

Dreamfyre: Killed by being shot in the eye with arrows and collapsing a building ontop itself in agony
Meraxes: Killed by the Dornish with, you guessed it, loving ballistae
Morghul: killed by one knight with a loving spear
Shrykos: killed by axe to the skull
Stormcloud: killed by arrows and ballistae
Urrax: Killed by spear

Some of those were during riots, one wasn't fully grown, any way you slice it dragons are not the god mode I Win button they originally were for Aegon's original 6 kingdom conquering. The books have shown this, the show has shown this. For some reason you can't get it through your head. :shrug:

You are attempting to call someone "loving retarded", when you yourself are posting hundreds of words arguing about the tactical realism of dragons in a make believe TV show. The fact that you even know the names of all those dragons is hilarious. Perhaps you should take a step back and re-evaluate, or maybe consider posting at http://asoiaf.westeros.org/ where other people with mild autism actually care about this poo poo.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Panzeh posted:

It's really weird how y'all think Stannis has anything in mind other than a seething ambition to become king because of what he says he wants and what Davos thinks.

He talks a big game about other stuff but all his actual actions are more consistent with him just being another claimant, possibly less promising than Renly.

Then why would he bring his entire force into the northernmost part of the realm after getting massive amounts of funds in an area that is practically teeming with mercenary companies and not waste gold, supplies and men fighting the wildlings and the cold?

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Kawabata posted:

holy poo poo this thread

I love this show, but you don't see how *wink wink look we're saying the title of one of the books, aren't we clever?* isn't dumb as gently caress?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Megasabin posted:

You are attempting to call someone "loving retarded", when you yourself are posting hundreds of words arguing about the tactical realism of dragons in a make believe TV show. The fact that you even know the names of all those dragons is hilarious. Perhaps you should take a step back and re-evaluate, or maybe consider posting at http://asoiaf.westeros.org/ where other people with mild autism actually care about this poo poo.

please don't autism-shame

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

Torgo2727 posted:

dave hill wasn't an intern back then

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Justin Credible posted:

Then why would he bring his entire force into the northernmost part of the realm after getting massive amounts of funds in an area that is practically teeming with mercenary companies and not waste gold, supplies and men fighting the wildlings and the cold?

He would be less likely to meet resistance starting up north, and perhaps hoped to swell his army with the ranks of northerners?

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Megasabin posted:

You might want to visit the site you yourself linked and type in "dragon" for an entire list of dragons and how they died

hth

I sperg out over dragons, you sperg out and get probated being a goony as poo poo DOTA player, I think we can both tell who is the fewer of two spergs

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
The books are bad, the show is bad, this thread is bad. Everything is bad.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
What I find sad about Shireen's demise (besides the fact that a little girl was burned alive by her father in exchange for some unspecified divine boon) is that, in order to have someone, anyone, reacting strongly to her death, the writers had to make Selyse care. I had a hard time believing it : that lady showed nothing but disdain for her daughter all that time, and yet I'm supposed to believe she would be moved by Shireen crying for her mother's help?

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Panzeh posted:

He would be less likely to meet resistance starting up north, and perhaps hoped to swell his army with the ranks of northerners?

Except the whole resistance of cold that keeps people locked in keeps for years at a time? That the Northerners know how to actually fight in? Without trying to gain any support in the North once he's there? Tugging along a priestess of a religion that burns Wierwoods as a way of worship? Which are the central religious icon of the Northerners, no matter the lip service they have to pay to the Seven to not get slapped down by the Iron Throne?? Oh and basically you are going as far away from the seat of power in the realm as you possibly can where the conditions are infinitely more inhospitable to a large army moving through??

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

X_Toad posted:

What I find sad about Shireen's demise (besides the fact that a little girl was burned alive by her father in exchange for some unspecified divine boon) is that, in order to have someone, anyone, reacting strongly to her death, the writers had to make Selyse care. I had a hard time believing it : that lady showed nothing but disdain for her daughter all that time, and yet I'm supposed to believe she would be moved by Shireen crying for her mother's help?

I liked Selyse breaking down, to a point. Just because she is a horrid woman doesn't automatically make her okay with watching her daughter burn alive. The fact she cracked before Stannis is what weirds me out.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
How to kill two nerds: Lock them in a room with a fantasy book and two knives.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

netcat posted:

The books are bad, the show is bad, this thread is bad. Everything is bad.

I think you'll find these things are actually good

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Kawabata posted:

... sorry, but this show is still so much better than its source material it's not even funny
*fart*

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Popular Human posted:

I love this show, but you don't see how *wink wink look we're saying the title of one of the books, aren't we clever?* isn't dumb as gently caress?

Well no it's not, it's barely noticeable at worst.

It's a drop in an ocean of solid scenes, good writing (for a TV show, mind you) and CGI dragons that are more believable than San Andreas' scenes. We still have shows like Arrow and The Flash in 2015, and you'll find, on this very forum, people telling you that they are good. That's how stellar GoT is compared to everything else currently on tv, even when it's not at its greatest.

Also, if you stop for a moment to consider how loving terrible the last two books were, what the show did is nothing short of a miracle, and I would personally suck Benioff's cock right now if he was in front of me. I remember reading AFFC years ago and thinking "the old pedo fatso has lost it, what if someone picked up his once excellent story and made it end, if not gloriously, at least in a way that doesn't make me cry"? And my dreams came true.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm so tired of all these dance of dragons.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
The books are really good.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Kawabata posted:

It's a drop in an ocean of solid scenes, good writing (for a TV show, mind you) and CGI dragons that are more believable than San Andreas' scenes. We still have shows like Arrow and The Flash in 2015, and you'll find, on this very forum, people telling you that they are good. That's how stellar GoT is compared to everything else currently on tv, even when it's not at its greatest.

Also, if you stop for a moment to consider how loving terrible the last two books were, what the show did is nothing short of a miracle, and I would personally suck Benioff's cock right now if he was in front of me. I remember reading AFFC years ago and thinking "the old pedo fatso has lost it, what if someone picked up his once excellent story and made it end, if not gloriously, at least in a way that doesn't make me cry"? And my dreams came true.

I actually agree with everything you're saying (and have said as much, it IS a goddamn miracle that that AFFC/DWD season has turned out this good), it was just a little moment that had me rolling me eyes. It felt like fanservice, and I loving hate fanservice.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Kawabata posted:

But you would make Benioff cry, through his dick and into your mouth. Sounds pretty drat gay imo

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

Popular Human posted:

I think the biggest indicator that Jon's not going to stay dead is without him, who's going to be our POV at the Wall? Sam's being sent away, most of the other characters at the Wall are not in the show, died in the show, or have been moved to other places. With Jon gone for good, we essentially lose the TV version of the Night's Watch.

The wall is coming down along with Jon's death in the finale.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Popular Human posted:

I actually agree with everything you're saying, it was just a little moment that had me rolling me eyes. It felt like fanservice, and I loving hate fanservice.

I kind of see where you're coming from, but I think it's unavoidable at this point. After 5 seasons most shows have lost way more steam, are more auto-referential than this and often fanservice is what makes them survive.

I believe this is, physiologically, the least amount of bullshit you can have in a TV show that's been running since 2011.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS
Mar 3, 2009

Scientists have ascertained that there may be as many as... 24 stars in the cosmos
What do you think would happen if I tooted to Linda that The Witcher is better than ASOIAF? Would she self-destruct?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Hmmm yes Tyene/Obara literal slap fight was a lot better than the sort of stuff you had going on in AFFC.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

INDIGO_CYCLOPS posted:

What do you think would happen if I tooted to Linda that The Witcher is better than ASOIAF? Would she self-destruct?

She'd call you 'loving retarded' and block you, from what I've been seeing. And then keep doing it for another twelve hours.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Hmmm yes Tyene/Obara literal slap fight was a lot better than the sort of stuff you had going on in AFFC.

Unironically, yes. A HIGHBORN MAID OF THREE AND TEN

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think that scene will come across better in hindsight with more scenes for them to develop, it conveys some stuff, I think Tyene mostly wants to feel worthy of being Oberyn's daughter and has the larger chip on her shoulder.

Mostly stuff that'd be really interesting and engaging if they were/became major characters but ADWD doesn't fill me with hope.

Out of curiosity I manage a fairly decent job at keeping a lot of ASOIAF information in my head, as a trivial example I can remember Harry the Heir and his significance to the Vale plot and a lot of background information in the series; does this correlate to me generally liking history and playing Crusader Kings? Anyone else notice a correlation between "People who know a decent amount of the era being reflected" and "Able to keep plot, names, and spergy inheritance information in their mind at the ready."?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

emanresu tnuocca posted:

you know when you're making GBS threads and you have one of those loving turds that neither come out nor stay entirely in and you know it's gonna take a while?

still better than AFFC

hell this post containing barely more than a turd joke can still give AFFC a run for its money

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think that this episode was dumb and bad, I get that many people don't care that it was dumb and bad and that most TV is dumber and worse.

Seriously if you rewatch the first season and compare it to the most recent one the tone change is extreme and the quality difference even more so, and the first season had a much smaller budget, I know that the source material for the first season was a lot better but it's really way beyond that, the show feels cartoonish now, prince trystane loving asking area to elbow bronn in the face what the gently caress was that poo poo it's like comic relief out of nowhere, tyene and obara slap fight, arya stalking meryn who's constantly looking right at her like some bad 80s kid-detective show, etc etc. I don't know why people feel the need to defend this poo poo.

The first season had tons of cartoonish poo poo, draggy exposition, insane sexposition, and all sorts of problems, and was endlessly criticized at the time. Or was Tyrion getting knocked out before the fight, his talks with the mountain clans and with the jailer at the Erye, or his 'confession' not comic relief out of nowhere?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Here's hoping GRRM told D&D that Jon is going to be revived in the next book, so they just cut his stabbing from the TV show completely. It would be the greatest troll.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The first season had tons of cartoonish poo poo, draggy exposition, insane sexposition, and all sorts of problems, and was endlessly criticized at the time.

Outside of Littlefinger, who is admittedly terrible, what else was cartoony about Season 1? Off the top of my head, nothing else stands out.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Kawabata posted:

Next season will be interesting I think, because people can judge D&D without *book things* getting in the way. Everything on TV now kinda sucks though, and comparing GoT to Arrow and Flash is laughable - obviously GoT is better. Maybe it's just different standards, but saying "it's got good writing (for a TV show)" doesn't fly when you have so many examples of shows with good writing and bad writing.

I am grateful that we're getting a big budget adaptation of GoT, but that doesn't make it immune to criticism. Early on in the series I had high hopes based on the scenes that were added (off the top of my head, Robert + Cersei, Tywin + Arya, and Robert + Jaime were great scenes that weren't in the books), but at this point I'm just watching to see what happens because I want to know how the story ends, not because I'm excited to see what great ideas D&D have in store. I'm sure some scenes will be great, but I'm just as sure some scenes will be terrible.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Kawabata posted:

you know when you're making GBS threads and you have one of those loving turds that neither come out nor stay entirely in and you know it's gonna take a while?

still better than AFFC

hell this post containing barely more than a turd joke can still give AFFC a run for its money

At least its a complete post, and not half of one. Or a third, since AFFC + ADWD is hardly a complete book either.

Also they killed joffery in the season when they brought in a new actor for Tommen right? And they got a new actress for Myrcella...

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

I'm so tired of all these dance of dragons.

:golfclap:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

X_Toad posted:

It's pretty funny in contrast with the scene from last season where they burn her brother alive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcZG6fIUMqg

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

I seem to remember all of the other season finales were spoiled to hell and back before they aired: like, down to the scene and everything. When does that usually happen?

I'm actually kind of excited that I have no idea what's going to happen in Winterfell. Does Stannis get iced by Brienne? Is Theon finally going to snap? Do the White Walkers rez all the dead Starks in the crypts and they go batshit murdering everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
What happens to Stannis's army if he dies? Just dissolves?

So I'm guessing Sansa stabs somebody, Theon and Brienne help her escape, they all go to Stannis. Or Theon dies getting her out.

Perhaps Davos will go find Rickon after he bails on Stannis.

edit: Or perhaps Davos doesn't bail, Sansa tells Stan that Bran & Rickon are alive, Stan sends Davos to get Rickon.

• Locked thread