Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Are you reading the whole thing or are you skipping the genealogies

So far I'm mostly reading the genealogies but I remember them being a lot worse than they currently are so I'll probably skip the later ones, if those are the ones I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

CestMoi posted:

So far I'm mostly reading the genealogies but I remember them being a lot worse than they currently are so I'll probably skip the later ones, if those are the ones I remember.

They get really bad once you hit chronicles and kings

The genealogy of Jesus is important for his status as messiah so you can't skip those

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Smoking Crow posted:

The genealogy of Jesus is important for his status as messiah so you can't skip those

How far does it have to go? Dad = God boom done.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
i'm reading the history of early christianity called 'the closing of the western mind' and now i'm halfway through and im'beginning to think that some htings might've made more sense if i'd read at least the new testament to see for myself if paul seems such an rear end in a top hat in his letters as the author is showing him to be and if matthew's gospel really seems to be aimed at jews.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Burning Rain posted:

i'm reading the history of early christianity called 'the closing of the western mind' and now i'm halfway through and im'beginning to think that some htings might've made more sense if i'd read at least the new testament to see for myself if paul seems such an rear end in a top hat in his letters as the author is showing him to be and if matthew's gospel really seems to be aimed at jews.

The inclusion of Paul as canonical always struck me as really strange honestly. He was a dude who showed up after the fact and said he totally saw Jesus so listen to him talk about women shutting the gently caress up.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How far does it have to go? Dad = God boom done.

It has to include David because David was promised that the messiah would come from his house

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

It has to include David because David was promised that the messiah would come from his house

woosh

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The inclusion of Paul as canonical always struck me as really strange honestly. He was a dude who showed up after the fact and said he totally saw Jesus so listen to him talk about women shutting the gently caress up.

V woosh bro V

Paul is the most second most important figure in Christianity. Without him, Christianity would have been a small mystery cult centered around the Eastern Mediterranean instead of the world religion it is today.

A lot of people know nothing about the Bible but still talk about it on the Internet, my brother in Steelers love

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
everybody unironically needs to read the bible. you don't have to be harold loving bloom to think this

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm Harold Bloom, and I agree.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Paul is the most second most important figure in Christianity. Without him, Christianity would have been a small mystery cult centered around the Eastern Mediterranean instead of the world religion it is today.

Oh yeah I get that. I just find it interesting that pretty much the entirety of Christianity is from of his interpretation. You would think some protestant church at some point would be like "gently caress that guy"

CestMoi posted:

I'm Harold Bloom, and I agree.

The canon is dumb *gives you the finger*

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I just find it interesting that pretty much the entirety of Christianity is from of his interpretation.

There's a lot of stuff that's Pauline but he's hardly the be all end all. Also the Protestant churches were way more concerned with the sanctity of the Bible in the early days than the Catholics iirc so change was unlikely to come from there.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh yeah I get that. I just find it interesting that pretty much the entirety of Christianity is from of his interpretation. You would think some protestant church at some point would be like "gently caress that guy"

IIRC, the Cathars didn't follow Paul's lead. Of course, all gnostic sects didn't follow him, and Tolstoy didn't follow Paul's interpretation

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

CestMoi posted:

There's a lot of stuff that's Pauline but he's hardly the be all end all. Also the Protestant churches were way more concerned with the sanctity of the Bible in the early days than the Catholics iirc so change was unlikely to come from there.

Imo, nowadays Christianity is much more Athanasian than Pauline

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

and Tolstoy didn't follow Paul's interpretation

I keep meaning to read about Tolstoy's interpretation of the bible, I hear its interesting.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I keep meaning to read about Tolstoy's interpretation of the bible, I hear its interesting.

Go nuts

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4602

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tolstoy posted:

XII. CONCLUSION—REPENT YE, FOR THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN IS AT HAND

Hell of a conclusion

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Andre Gide's straight is the Gate has the character call Paull a ponce, then he fucks his sister, so... beware Mel.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Hello that's me, thanks

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Read the Enrique Vila-Matas I was talking about earlier today. If you like Italo Calvino or meta-fiction in general, give him a read. A bit too heady for my tastes but I respect what he is accomplishing.

http://www.amazon.com/History-Porta...ique+vila-matas

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

mistermojo posted:

Hello that's me, thanks
Why is your av AI?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Why is your av AI?

Hes my favorite player

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Mishima is my favorite Japanese novelist. This is one of his weaker books I thought though.

Go Sea of Fertility or go home.

Why didn't you like it? Decay of the Angel is my favorite I think, but Sailor is a close second, mostly because it's a bit like an earlier draft of Decay of the Angel, they're both about evil, sea-obsessed boys.

My least favorite Mishima is Shiosai I think, because it has all this symbolism that seems to build up to something (the cliffside place with the ominous name, the boys in the cave predicting some kind of catastrophe), but then nothing really happens and the book is over.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah but it's all after the fact including the gospels, and anyways what got canonized as Mainline Xtianity had more to do with legitimating the institutional church that had emerged than with identifying the oldest, trillest, most purestrain Christ (or assessed the latter in light of the former, at least)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Grimson posted:

Yeah but it's all after the fact including the gospels, and anyways what got canonized as Mainline Xtianity had more to do with legitimating the institutional church that had emerged than with identifying the oldest, trillest, most purestrain Christ (or assessed the latter in light of the former, at least)

Please do not use the term Xtianity in any thread made by me or any other person, for that matter

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Yours in X,

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

mistermojo posted:

Hello that's me, thanks

cool! So why don't you post here?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

Why didn't you like it? Decay of the Angel is my favorite I think, but Sailor is a close second, mostly because it's a bit like an earlier draft of Decay of the Angel, they're both about evil, sea-obsessed boys.

I think that hit on it for me. I feel like Sailor is weak because it deals with a lot of themes that were better developed in his other stories. The idea of violence as beauty and death as glory saturates a lot of his works and if you really wanted to explore that idea there are better books by him that do it.

My personal favorite is Runaway Horses. Can we all agree Temple of Dawn is the weakest of the cycle?

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My personal favorite is Runaway Horses. Can we all agree Temple of Dawn is the weakest of the cycle?

Temple of Dawn would be the best (old lecherous dude spying on the female reincarnation of his dead childhood friend, whilst she's having lesbian sex) but the 100 pages of history & interpretation of Buddhism or whatever is b0ring

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Grimson posted:

Quit being a loving child and read some non-canonical gospels.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

House Louse posted:

Quit being a loving child and read some non-canonical gospels.

Smh if y'all haven't renounced the Demiurge and embarked on the path towards true gnosis

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

u guys should read Dawkins the God Delusion.

rly very deep imho

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

It's faster to just read Dawkins Delusion (75 pages vs. 375) which summarizes the main points, plus that way you won't accidentally take Dawkins seriously

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I remember Terry Eagleton wrote a scalding review of the book and its kind of funny to see an ardent Marxist Literary critic argue with a Biologist about rigor in theology.

And I just saw Eagleton has written a book about religion and debate, will have to check it out.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I remember Terry Eagleton wrote a scalding review of the book and its kind of funny to see an ardent Marxist Literary critic argue with a Biologist about rigor in theology.

And I just saw Eagleton has written a book about religion and debate, will have to check it out.

He is also a Catholic iirc

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Nestorianism or bust.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I'm a Doceticst, myself. Bodily resurrection has never sat quite right w/me.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

bogomilism bestism

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Dawkins is an idiot who doesn't understand counterfactual faith. It'd be a disaster for faith if god really did exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I prefer Caecilius Natalis (via Minucius Felix) to Dawkins for sick burns:

Christians come from the lowest ranks of the people . . . ignorant and gullible women who indeed, just because of the weakness of their sex, are easily persuaded . . . [These] bands of conspirators . . . fraternise in nocturnal assemblies and at solemn fasts and barbarous feasts, not through a holy ceremony, but through an unatonable crime . . . Everywhere they also practise among themselves, so to speak, a kind of cult of sensuality; without distinction they call each other brother and sister, and through this holy name even the usual immorality becomes incest . . . In a darkness that is favourable to shamelessness they are consumed by unspeakable passion, as determined by chance

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 10, 2015