Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mark Leung Revenge of the Bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man you people did some quality work this weekend when it comes to the whole opinions thing geez

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

FirstAidKite posted:

One of the worst parts of ff9's battle system is how slow it is. One of the other worst parts is that it has a damage cap and so many skills end up hitting the damage cap that it's pointless to get any of the other skills that also hit the damage cap.

I'm surprised no one has made a remove damage limit mod for that game yet.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

spider was colonel redips???

spider is redips spelled backwards

Ladderface
Jul 30, 2005

Mmmm-HHHMMMmmm...
*vaguely gestures at entire thread* Source your quotes.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Tallgeese posted:

I'm surprised no one has made a remove damage limit mod for that game yet.
The problem isn't so much the damage cap as them being really bad at math to allow the damage cap to be met at all, and how early they allowed it to be met. The highest HP bosses have in 9 is around 60k, which is peanuts when you have 4 characters doing 5-9k per turn. Characters shouldn't be doing that, but they made basically every attack booster a stacking multiplier which in a shocking twist allowed damage to get wildly out of control.

Then they gave Quina a move in Disc 1 that one-shots every boss through Disc 2, and half the cast easily-ground-out 9999s.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i fused a power with elec, wind, light and fire hit all in persona 3. its very powerful!! hahaha

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah nearly everyone in FF9 can hit the damage cap early on if you know what you're doing. Frog Drop on Quinna that Dragon move for Freya Zidane's Thievery. Steiner's Double Damage trance and shock, some of the summons.

Kild fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 8, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FF9 really needed to diversify moves better than just bigger damage. It's a shame because it has some really cool concepts but at the end of the day 9999 is just too easy to hit for too little effort and that devalues almost everything else you can do because nothing is as important as damage.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Davincie posted:

i fused a power with elec, wind, light and fire hit all in persona 3. its very powerful!! hahaha
This is a good idea early but as the game goes on you may want to diversify and get Boost/Amps on your elemental personas. It's more of a pain in the rear end with fusion but those skills can turn the -dynes into incredibly strong attacks and the mid-tiers into incredibly cost-effective killers. Also depending on which version of P3 you're playing physicals might also be worth looking at. P4 kind of had the more obviously appealing (and overpowered) physical moves but P3's split physical types allowed for some insanely good Pierce AoEs that can more or less wipe fights if no enemy nulls Pierce. And physical AoEs are often the most cost-efficient because they cost HP but you can replace that with a cheap heal so the cost in SP is effectively much lower.

If you can fuse up that four-elements Power for a little while it should carry you to the point where good physical AoEs and Boost/Amps show up though. Stats actually make a pretty huge difference so getting too used to a persona because it has a great skill spread can backfire on you. It should be a lot easier if you're playing P3P with skill cards though, I guess.

Kild posted:

Yeah nearly everyone in FF9 can hit the damage cap early on if you know what you're doing. Frog Drop on Quinna that Dragon move for Freya. Steiner's Double Damage trance, some of the summons. I think Zidane has one too.
It's worse than that. Kill Quina -> Phoenix Down until revived at 1HP -> Limit Glove kills everything up to Soulcage instantly. No boss where Quina exists is a challenge.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nakar posted:

This is a good idea early but as the game goes on you may want to diversify and get Boost/Amps on your elemental personas. It's more of a pain in the rear end with fusion but those skills can turn the -dynes into incredibly strong attacks and the mid-tiers into incredibly cost-effective killers. Also depending on which version of P3 you're playing physicals might also be worth looking at. P4 kind of had the more obviously appealing (and overpowered) physical moves but P3's split physical types allowed for some insanely good Pierce AoEs that can more or less wipe fights if no enemy nulls Pierce. And physical AoEs are often the most cost-efficient because they cost HP but you can replace that with a cheap heal so the cost in SP is effectively much lower.

If you can fuse up that four-elements Power for a little while it should carry you to the point where good physical AoEs and Boost/Amps show up though. Stats actually make a pretty huge difference so getting too used to a persona because it has a great skill spread can backfire on you. It should be a lot easier if you're playing P3P with skill cards though, I guess.

It's worse than that. Kill Quina -> Phoenix Down until revived at 1HP -> Limit Glove kills everything up to Soulcage instantly. No boss where Quina exists is a challenge.

Yeah that too.

- Frog Drop (Quina), Thievery (Zidane), and Dragon's Crest (Freya) all do a guaranteed 9999 damage.
- Shock (Steiner) is almost always a 9999 attack.
- Iai Strike (Steiner) can instant kill an enemy easily
- Climhazzard & Stock (Steiner) break do tons of damage against a group of enemies
- Soul Blade (Zidane) can inflict great status effects (Doom, Petrify)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nakar posted:

Don't worry about Phys skills, just use the party member you get in June/July-ish who has pure Phys Skills. You are indeed far better off spreading your elements to only one or two per Persona though, as buffs, debuffs and buff/debuff purge spells are REALLY important.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
All the 9999s being removed from FF9 wouldn't change the problem of the skill stacking though. There's practically no enemy Steiner can't gib by just stacking * Killer and MP Attack with an elemental sword + element booster (even if not hitting a weakness), and if he goes Trance then that gets doubled again. And Auto-Regen not being metered to the ATB progress (and ATB not stopping during animations) ruins any chance of dying. It's like they balanced the entire game around skills not existing and special abilities not being used, because actually utilizing the features the game provides you trivialize it.

I mean yes using Materia or Junctions makes 7/8 really easy but you actually have to track down the right Enemy Skills or play cards to trivialize things. FF9 just flat out can't do anything bad to you once you start getting equipment, and if you poke at it even slightly by stacking damage boosts on Steiner or using any of Quina's Blue Magic the game falls over and shits itself. Hell, even actually using Trance with any character swings things absurdly into your favor, and using Trance is unavoidable.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
isn't any Final Fantasy game exploitable if you are a big enough sperglord? I remember spending a good amount of time casting Yell with Ramza in FFT back in the day.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The problem with FF9 was that you can exploit it without even trying and that's a big no-no. It's one thing to have an exploitable JRPG that people can opt out of if they want (and people legitimately do) but if your combat breaks down without even trying, then your poo poo's just busted and not fun. People who want to break the game completely miss out on the experience of finding ways to break it too.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rascyc posted:

The problem with FF9 was that you can exploit it without even trying and that's a big no-no. It's one thing to have an exploitable JRPG that people can opt out of if they want (and people legitimately do) but if your combat breaks down without even trying, then your poo poo's just busted and not fun. People who want to break the game completely miss out on the experience of finding ways to break it too.

You can't get 9999 Frog Drop without just straight up having autism

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Good thing there's like 50 other moves that'll hit the damage cap early in the game! No autism required

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i think it's ok for it to be broken really easily. none of the final fantasy games are really hard. its all about sitting back, wat hing cutscenes, and playing the chocobo minigame

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Oh my God you guys, the power walk in Radiata Stories!!

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat

Wendell posted:

Oh my God you guys, the power walk in Radiata Stories!!

Wait 'till you get different outfits for Jack. A lot of them are especially goofy while power walking. Also, don't kick the homeless guy rifling through the trash.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Gentlemieu posted:

Also, don't kick the homeless guy rifling through the trash.

Well that's just good life advice in general.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The easy-to-reach damage cap in FF9 is actually a great tool for balancing the game. It ensures that all characters are equally useful, and no one breaks the game. Because if the devs can know with 100% certainty that everyone will always do 9999 with every turn, then that's the simplest thing ever.

The problem is just that they were pretty uncreative with a lot of abilities, that were just better versions of other abilities and that ended up being totally meaningless.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nakar posted:

Then they gave Quina a move in Disc 1 that one-shots every boss through Disc 2, and half the cast easily-ground-out 9999s.

I dunno if I'd call it bad design. Weird, maybe, but it's the ultimate brute force and I kinda dig that.

quote:

Phoenix Down is the busta's way, and even Auto-Life/Reraise isn't pro. Use Matra Magic :getin:

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I mean, yeah, it's well balanced, but it's also really boring. Every battle plays exactly the same with every character spamming the same moves every time. I realize that's rpg.txt but it's true.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yeah the main difference is to break FF8 you have to know how Junctioning works, know where to get like Tornados or Quakes on Disc 1 (i.e. cards), acquire enough to make 100 of them (including learning the GF abilities that refine them and knowing those matter most), and then slot them, and then Squall breaks the game by just selecting Attack until the end of the game.

To break FF9, you just need to have Steiner use Attack after putting some equipment on him. God help you if you collect the Stellazio coins by being marginally thorough and get the Blood Sword on Disc 2.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Doing max damage isn't what breaks the game. Having a really boring combat system does. Bravely Default has the same really-easy-to-reach max damage, and while that creates some oddities, but that didn't break the game either because it's simply not important compared to figuring out how to get more turns. And not die. Other things break the game, but max damage is just a thing you do.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Right, because Bravely Default's more increasingly difficult fights kind of assume you're using powerful class combos. They're kind of designed to be fought that way, as trying to do it without is either incredibly hard or just surpassingly tedious.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If FF9's battle speed was the same as Bravely Default, that would really eliminate most of its problems.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What is emblematic to me about the problem of FF9 is Zidane's Trance.

The way the game is set up, your main character has a bunch of Trance moves at his disposal.

The problem is, you would be foolish to use anything but the first one, since if I'm not mistaken spamming it provides the highest damage over time! All those other moves are a waste!

See also: Ark's move. The fact it's Shadow element is just icing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Shadow hearts is fun because everybody gets broken moves and it's fun to try to break the enemy before it breaks you

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I just wanna look stylish

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

sorry you opened the wrong chest, no zodiac spear for you

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the funniest thing about ff12 international is that they didn't bother making models for the new weapons, and then tried to justify this by claiming that they're just invisible

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Tallgeese posted:

What is emblematic to me about the problem of FF9 is Zidane's Trance.

The way the game is set up, your main character has a bunch of Trance moves at his disposal.

The problem is, you would be foolish to use anything but the first one, since if I'm not mistaken spamming it provides the highest damage over time! All those other moves are a waste!

See also: Ark's move. The fact it's Shadow element is just icing.

Get the mage masher from Baku at the first fight in the game. During the Trance tutorial, Zidane will have two dyne skills. The second one is stronger and multitarget. However, it targets Garnet and kills her resulting in a Game Over. It was the only game over I experienced that didn't come from Ozma.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FF9 is one of the few games I can sincerely say I love despite its flaws.

There are so many dumb design decisions but the game has heart and that's enough for me. I really don't know what the design decision was behind trances. "Everybody liked limit breaks so lets make them automatically go off and 90% of the time in random battles!"

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Any love here for Demon Gaze?

I grabbed it a couple weeks ago for like $5 or something from one of the PSN weekly sales and started playing last week. It's excellent! The battle system reminds me of what Dragon Quest's would be like if it were fun and interesting and fast, I like exploring the various dungeons, the item system is addictive, and all of that means that I even enjoy the grinding. I'm, uh, maybe halfwayish through and am having a blast. This is one of the best low-budget RPGs I've played.

Note: you definitely need to have a tolerance for anime.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah dawg, Demon Gaze is a good game.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Any love here for Demon Gaze?

I grabbed it a couple weeks ago for like $5 or something from one of the PSN weekly sales and started playing last week. It's excellent! The battle system reminds me of what Dragon Quest's would be like if it were fun and interesting and fast, I like exploring the various dungeons, the item system is addictive, and all of that means that I even enjoy the grinding. I'm, uh, maybe halfwayish through and am having a blast. This is one of the best low-budget RPGs I've played.

Note: you definitely need to have a tolerance for anime.

Yeah, I was enjoying it right up to Lord Shark. Talk about a brick wall....

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Demon Gaze is fun if not really easy for 90% of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Once you stick a Paladin in the front of the party to tank literally every hit, it does become rather easier. I wish you had more control over the demons you've got out, though - they can really make or break the battle and when they do the Persona 3 thing and sit there constantly defending it kind of sucks.

It was nice that you had a lot more customization available than most Wizardry-esque games, in the form of artifacts.