Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ciri was also claimed as a reward for undoing a curse on her father by Geralt through the Law of Surprise (and then again by some guy he saved who happened to have taken Ciri in afetr Cintra was conquered by Nilfgaard)

And it's not always kids, that's just the what you see. It can totally be your wife or a shovel or what have you. You don't write a story about how you were gifted a shovel though.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah that's the "Law of Surprise" which is A Thing in the Witcher universe. If you save someone's life you can ask for the first thing they see upon arriving home, which is often but not always a kid. A lot of Witchers, including Geralt, are "recruited" that way.

It's a tactic used by the witchers to make it appear as if the child is somehow bound to them by fate because people wouldn't give up their children otherwise.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ciri was also claimed as a reward for undoing a curse on her father by Geralt through the Law of Surprise

And again when he saved that merchant in Something More.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I edited that in but wasn't fast enough, it seems! Yeah in Geralt and Ciri's case, it really is a destiny thing.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Started a second play through on hard. Just finished all the white orchard stuff and wow, this feels like a different game. I'm having to plan my fights, back off to catch my breath and dodge and parry like crazy. Alchemy feels absolutely essential rather than just something to breeze through fights now.

This game has finally knocked Ultima VII off my number one all time game spot.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Broken Cog posted:

It always seems to be kids, which leads me to believe that Witchers stretch that definition as much as they do with their "code". I wonder what would happen if the first thing you'd see when you get home is the door to your house, or your wife.

Yes, I think they expect to get recruits this way. From our experiences with (early game spoiler) Gretka, and her tale of what her parents did with her just because she accidentally spilled some milk many parents, especially drunk, abusive degenerates, were all too happy to give their kids away to witchers or in Gretka's case sentence their kid to death by sending them to the Ladies via the trail of treats. so they just wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. So it's not hard to think that Witchers took advantage of this unwillingness to be a parent. I only chimed in to be precise, not because I thought you're wrong.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Keep in mind that it's not just witchers that pull the Law of Surprise

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Witcher wikia has a pretty good breakdown.
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Law_of_Surprise

"The first thing that greets you" <--Lambert
"What you find that you didn't expect" <--Ciri

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I think it's also stated that invoking the Law of Surprise in the Witcher universe is an accepted thing and sometimes if you're not sure what to ask for a suitable reward you just go "Uh...that which you find...but knew not you had!" and hope it comes across as wise and mysterious instead of an rear end-pull. Maybe you get a shovel, maybe you get a kid!

Also Destiny seems to be a real thing so sometimes the Law probably just works.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Has anyone else had the game's exe stick around and suck up memory after exiting?

I closed the game like 10 minutes ago but the exe is still running and choosing "end process" doesn't make it go away. Is there a way to quit out of it for good without restarting my PC? This happens pretty frequently and I wouldn't have even noticed if Steam didn't say I was still ingame.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What about this build:

Feline armor

Bear swords

Fast attack skills paired with adrenaline skills

Aard and Axii

Alchemy skills that increase my toxicity level

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

What about this build:

Feline armor

Bear swords

Fast attack skills paired with adrenaline skills

Aard and Axii

Alchemy skills that increase my toxicity level

That's a fairly spread out build I don't know if you'll be able to pull it off too easily before you're in your twenties. You probably want one of Whirlwind/Rend to spend all the Adrenaline you're generating so you're fairly deep in the swordfighting tree. I would grab a couple alternate Signs because they can be incredibly useful. Then yeah get the 5-point toxicity threshhold and 3/3 toxicity increase per recipes known in the first tier of Alchemy and that's a good all-around build.

Edit: really it's hard to gently caress up as long as your build is somewhat coherent. Everything is strong.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

That's a fairly spread out build I don't know if you'll be able to pull it off too easily before you're in your twenties. You probably want one of Whirlwind/Rend to spend all the Adrenaline you're generating so you're fairly deep in the swordfighting tree. I would grab a couple alternate Signs because they can be incredibly useful. Then yeah get the 5-point toxicity threshhold and 3/3 toxicity increase per recipes known in the first tier of Alchemy and that's a good all-around build.

Edit: really it's hard to gently caress up as long as your build is somewhat coherent. Everything is strong.

I'm level 21, but I feel like I've been doing it all wrong. I'm going to be getting the bear swords to complement my feline armor for some reasons.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

dyzzy posted:

Speaking of which, the console mod has been updated

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/143/

No need for ekimmara hides anymore but if you got hosed out of cards or just want to spare the trolls...
Thanks for posting this. I had already used two Ekimarra hides and they are still required for a few things, just fewer than before (and I happen to still need to craft those items). I also have not seen a Nekker Warrior outside of Velen and I need about a dozen Nekker Warrior Hearts. I already nuked the Nekker lairs in eastern Velen so I'm pretty sure I will need the console to get enough hearts.

edit: I dont know why CDPR didnt just edit in a merchant that sells some of the rarer stuff people have been complaining about. Make it really expensive or something.
Or hell, add it those monsters somewhere that respawn so you can 'farm' the item or whatever.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
This is probably the best game I've played in years.

I spent at least 10 hours loving around with this game over the weekend and I feel like I've barely scratched the story. Right now I'm following the Baron, wondering why I didn't pick the choice to kill the loving thing and half expecting to let another monster loose like I did with the rat tower ghost.

:saddowns:

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Just finished the quest at Menge's where you and Triss burn his house down. Hopped the back wall to get out and now I'm trapped in a small area with a door that's yellow to Witcher senses but won't open. What the hell? is this a bug or am I missing something obvious?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

anatomi posted:

Regarding Hjalmar's mission at Undvik: Do you have to kill the giant? I want to help him build his boat, dammit.

I don't have an answer for you, but just wanted to reaffirm how loving metal this is.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Going to spoil this about quest order once starting off in Skellige:
Did I see somewhere that if I do "Ugly Baby" before starting the assassination plot I can miss out on it and the Gwent: Old Friends quest? Because I am up to Ugly Baby and about to go back to the continent to clear out some of the million sidequests I have piled up and I want to make sure I dont gently caress things up by coincidentally doing Ugly Baby while in Crow's Perch.

Ghetto Prince posted:

This is probably the best game I've played in years.

I spent at least 10 hours loving around with this game over the weekend and I feel like I've barely scratched the story. Right now I'm following the Baron, wondering why I didn't pick the choice to kill the loving thing and half expecting to let another monster loose like I did with the rat tower ghost.

:saddowns:
It feels like the Bloody Baron quest was a different game ago to me, and the game just came out.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Baron's storyline was a massive highlight for me. So far I've yet to come across anything that feels quite as emotional - his story touched on some pretty raw, down to earth stuff so it could resonate with me (my mother was a victim of pretty severe domestic abuse when I was a kid) and tied the high fantasy elements into it in a way that didn't invalidate what the characters had done. It was a big surprise all around.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

redcheval posted:

Just finished the quest at Menge's where you and Triss burn his house down. Hopped the back wall to get out and now I'm trapped in a small area with a door that's yellow to Witcher senses but won't open. What the hell? is this a bug or am I missing something obvious?

There should be a wall you can break with aard

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

tayvaan posted:

There should be a wall you can break with aard

Aggh thank you! That was driving me nuts.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm about 55 hours into the game and although I only have two or three insignificant sidequests in the "failed quests" section of my journal, I feel like I've only been playing 'correctly' for maybe a little over half that time... if that.

I don't know if it's because it took me a while to get the hang of all the systems in the game and how they work together, or if it's because I didn't have the slightest clue about what was actually going on in the world, or if it's because I did a good chunk of the main quest switching between the easiest two difficulties while leaving a metric fuckton of side quests and question marks untouched, but I'm not even to the Kaer Morhen Battle yet and I'm already thinking about how my next play through will actually be a 'clean' one played on Death March where I'll actually know what the hell I'm doing and what the hell is going on from the start.

It's going to be great.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 9, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
How do I use this spinning attack?

Never mind I figured it out :downs:

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 9, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

anatomi posted:

Regarding Hjalmar's mission at Undvik: Do you have to kill the giant? I want to help him build his boat, dammit.

Considering it killed everyone the whole drat island except the guy in the ship and eats people? Yeah, you totally have to kill it. Also, absolutely let Viggi out of the cage - don't step on snow while stealing the key and bringing it to him.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bort Bortles posted:

edit: I dont know why CDPR didnt just edit in a merchant that sells some of the rarer stuff people have been complaining about. Make it really expensive or something.
Or hell, add it those monsters somewhere that respawn so you can 'farm' the item or whatever.

The game was driving me insane with some of the rarer monster loot drops while I was trying to get ahold of the materials for the cat set. I ran around for like a solid hour collecting monster teeth of various kinds because the gloves require like 2 monster teeth, but the item is specifically "Monster Tooth", not just any tooth will do. I found out after much monster tooth collection took place that the only way to actually get a "Monster Tooth" is by dismantling a specific monster tooth into the generic item. What's the fuckin' point if it's just the same thing with a different name!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The game was driving me insane with some of the rarer monster loot drops while I was trying to get ahold of the materials for the cat set. I ran around for like a solid hour collecting monster teeth of various kinds because the gloves require like 2 monster teeth, but the item is specifically "Monster Tooth", not just any tooth will do. I found out after much monster tooth collection took place that the only way to actually get a "Monster Tooth" is by dismantling a specific monster tooth into the generic item. What's the fuckin' point if it's just the same thing with a different name!

It's so you don't have to spend a lot of time hunting for a specific monster's teeth for the armor! :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GrossMurpel posted:

It's so you don't have to spend a lot of time hunting for a specific monster's teeth for the armor! :v:

Yes but if any monster's tooth can be ground into a Monster Tooth, just let me put any monster tooth in the slot without having to dismantle it! It's like exactly the same thing minus one unnecessary step.

edit: I initially had the mad emote here but I removed it because really I'm not mad, just annoyed that this game's crafting system is so weird sometimes

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

CJacobs posted:

Sometimes things do require specific one - in particular there's a recipe calling for foglet teeth. It's being lenient by letting you use any tooth, though it'd be nice if it did that seamlessly instead of making you go to an armorer and dismantle it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Any iron silver ingot can be ground into silver dust, but that doesn't mean that strapping an ingot onto a piece of armor that requires dust will go well

This is not even a problem and frankly it's on you for not realizing what it was asking of you. Everything is specific on what the item required for alchemy/crafting and you should always know exactly what you need.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Any iron silver ingot can be ground into silver dust, but that doesn't mean that strapping an ingot onto a piece of armor that requires dust will go well

Yeah no poo poo, silver ingots and silver dust are two different things. A monster's tooth and a monster's tooth are the same thing. This is not negotiable. :geno:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You are changing it to a different item, which the game specifically asks of you. Not realizing that is your fault.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You're right, but what I'm saying is that it's dumb that it is that way. It is a tiny insignificant thing so please just let me call it dumb (it is dumb) and move on tia

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

FuriousGeorge posted:

Yeah I greatly prefer Witcher 1's folksier OST. It was the best at being both atmospheric yet tuneful and memorable.

I think this is strictly from the OST but one song that's always stayed with me from the W1's OST is Bring to Boil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_ZZ6eGltRs

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

You are changing it to a different item, which the game specifically asks of you. Not realizing that is your fault.

I guess you can say it's his fault that he didn't realize having "0/2 monster tooth" means he needs to dismantle some specific ones.
It's not his fault that the entire dismantling system is silly though. You'll never need 90% of all the poo poo you took from monsters (and that's lowballing it). On several occations I had to go through every one of the different monster parts I was dragging around in my saddlebags because I needed monster dust or somesuch and didn't know what dismantles into that.

E: ^^^^ I didn't know there was a Beltaine track on the OST, that's loving awesome. Them fiddles, man.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 9, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

You're right, but what I'm saying is that it's dumb that it is that way. It is a tiny insignificant thing so please just let me call it dumb (it is dumb) and move on tia

Never, I am declaring war on you and your descendants for the next seven generations

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Never, I am declaring war on you and your descendants for the next seven generations

Fine but I will warn you I am highly trained in the art of misunderstanding crafting systems and cinematic dismemberment.

edit:

I was going through my screenshots looking for one of Geralt chopping someone's head off and I noticed that I've taken a screencap of every time he's complained about having to wear a doublet so far in the game. I love it so much :allears:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Broken sword, that antidote still in a quickslot and control hints enabled.
What is wrong with you?

Do you also have screenshots of every time he or someone else refers to his hatred of portals? :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRjMW1CulRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol0rxFPBQgc

No but I do have these, bonus doublet in the second one

edit: I play with the control hints on because they remind me of Dragon's Dogma and I desperately cling to anything that reminds me of that game because I know the new one is going to be an MMO so it will suck and it's probably not leaving Japan anyway :smith:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rest in piece, Dragon's Dogma. You were the best kind of bad game I've ever played and I miss you.

No joke, if this game had just stolen the combat and how big monster fights work from Dragon's Dogma it'd be the best game I've ever played

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

Rest in piece, Dragon's Dogma. You were the best kind of bad game I've ever played and I miss you.

No joke, if this game had just stolen the combat and how big monster fights work from Dragon's Dogma it'd be the best game I've ever played

You say that now, but imagine 100 hours worth of "Nekkers hunt in packs witcher!"

While it's played out, I really would have liked something with Soulsborne style combat. The combat animations in Witcher 3 look fantastic, but they don't stay fresh for very long and then you're left with a combat system with a 'floaty', non-responsive fighter. I'd be fine with losing out on the change to watch fancy pirouettes and elaborate death animations if Geralt would actually move and swing his sword where you wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Dragon's Dogma not coming to the PC likely solidified its demise in the West. I maintain that it could've been an amazing game to have on the PC because there was nothing quite like it. :smith: