Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

As a DM, I'm glad they're cutting perks for lower tiers. Sky Priority boarding got absurd.

They are definitely not cutting SP boarding, in fact I'm pretty sure they just added to it. Just this year I'm down to silver after years of Gold/Platinum and my latest flight a few weeks ago they called Silver to board with SP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Garfu posted:

They are definitely not cutting SP boarding, in fact I'm pretty sure they just added to it. Just this year I'm down to silver after years of Gold/Platinum and my latest flight a few weeks ago they called Silver to board with SP.

Its hit and miss. On smaller regional jets, I've boarded with SkyPriority as Silver. On a bigger plane on a transcon flight, they will kick your rear end to the side until it's your turn. Kyoon is right though, the SP boarding group is usually nuts. Maybe that's just because I'm always in and out of ATL though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
DMs get to board with first now anyway even if you didn't get the bump :whatup:

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Why the gently caress do you want to hurry up and get on the plane? Your seat is reserved, and you're going to be trapped in it. I run down the jetway when I hear the door closing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Room for carry-on, sitting down and reading my Kindle vs standing in line. Plus the sense of superiority.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Bad With Money: paying :10bux: for passport photos. I do them myself, print them out as a 4x6 print at one of those CVS kiosks for 20 cents, and re-use the same image file for several years. Bonus is you get as many takes as you like to not look like a dolt.

High Lord Elbow posted:

Why the gently caress do you want to hurry up and get on the plane? Your seat is reserved, and you're going to be trapped in it. I run down the jetway when I hear the door closing.

That's always mystified me. I suppose if it's a full house you might wind up getting your carryon gate-checked, I personally don't give a drat but some people are really drat particular about not waiting at the baggage carousel. I'm also generally in no real hurry to get off the plane in most cases; whatever, I'm still gonna have to wait for my checked bag. I fly mostly internationally and I know you guys probably have checked luggage too, why are you in such a hurry to get to the baggage carousel and wait? Leave your seatbelt on until the light comes on, don't just stand there clogging up the aisles while nobody's moving, just chill, jeeze.

From my flight attendant friends: if you at least pretend to pay attention to the safety briefing it makes their day a lot better. It's a lovely feeling to get up in front of a bunch of people and do something for their benefit only to be completely ignored. (Am teacher, can confirm :v:)

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Subjunctive posted:

Room for carry-on, sitting down and reading my Kindle vs standing in line. Plus the sense of superiority.

Under the seat in front of you, the airport lounge until final boarding, and if sitting in a slightly larger seat makes you feel superior, you aren't.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

High Lord Elbow posted:

Overhead space, mostly, for me.

Just want to add that there's an entire thread for sperging out about travel before we all go too far down this rabbit hole.

Now, for my favorite watering hole of Bad With Money, industrial clearance ajudications:

quote:

Applicant's statement of reasons (SOR) alleges seven delinquent or charged-off debts totaling $1,795,085. Four mortgage debts on three condominiums were owed to the same creditor and accounted for $1,789,824 of this debt. The creditor-bank foreclosed on the three condominiums. Applicant received IRS Form 1099-As on two of the condominium debts. The creditor obtained a $500,000 judgment on the third condominium debt, and this debt is unresolved. The other six SOR debts are resolved. Applicant did not make sufficient progress resolving this $500,000 judgment. Financial considerations security concerns are not mitigated. Eligibility for access to classified information is denied.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

High Lord Elbow posted:

Under the seat in front of you, the airport lounge until final boarding, and if sitting in a slightly larger seat makes you feel superior, you aren't.

I'm tall, so I want the space under the seat for my huge man-feet. But yes, I need all the ego-stroking I can get.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Bad With Money: paying :10bux: for passport photos. I do them myself, print them out as a 4x6 print at one of those CVS kiosks for 20 cents, and re-use the same image file for several years. Bonus is you get as many takes as you like to not look like a dolt.

Bad with federal law? I'm pretty sure you certify that the image is less than 6 months old as part of the application...

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Why would you need multiple passport photos over the span of a few years? You submit them once and your passport is good for like 10 years.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Higgy posted:

Now, for my favorite watering hole of Bad With Money, industrial clearance ajudications:

It's just another type of bad with money thread. A large portion are quite bad, not just historical and some financial disasters are prolonged in nature. A few in there are stories of bad with money to being reformed which are interesting.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Why would you need multiple passport photos over the span of a few years? You submit them once and your passport is good for like 10 years.

I needed a passport picture to get a visa for Vietnam. Cambodia also asked for passport pictures but I think the charge was 1$ if you didn't have any.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
They need to be stamped and signed by the photographer who takes them here :canada:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

flynt posted:

I needed a passport picture to get a visa for Vietnam. Cambodia also asked for passport pictures but I think the charge was 1$ if you didn't have any.

Passport sized photos are not the same as passport photos

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Mantle posted:

Jesus gently caress man. It's literally the same thing. I have to get a work visa once a year for when I travel for business, and you go to walgreens or whatever and ask for Passport photos. The embassey asks for "passport" photos, you give them, and you get a new work visa (in your passport) with your lovely taken photo on it.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

TLG James posted:

Jesus gently caress man. It's literally the same thing. I have to get a work visa once a year for when I travel for business, and you go to walgreens or whatever and ask for Passport photos. The embassey asks for "passport" photos, you give them, and you get a new work visa (in your passport) with your lovely taken photo on it.

Except you are no longer allowed to smile in them. Seriously.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

Mantle posted:

It's recommended that your visa pictures follow the same guidelines as passport pictures so they're less likely to get rejected. I didn't have any pictures lying around that would meet those requirements so I took one for passport/visa purposes. Why not use the same picture?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Comrade Flynn posted:

Except you are no longer allowed to smile in them. Seriously.

This actually makes a great deal of sense. Try making your face look like something it's not when it's relaxed. Now "smile" and see how many different ways you might be able to contort your face.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

I had to get a replacement passport last week in Dallas, they definitely still let you smile in America. Most countries don't let you but I've been encouraged to smile when I got my passport renewed a year ago and just now when I got it replaced. They are just any photo that fits the size requirement, although sometimes they need to be signed and dated by the photographer. Most places snap a photo with a digital camera and zoom it so your head is the right size, there is no special technology involved.

Seems like everything I do requires passport photos, I have gone through about 10 since last year. I haven't had any rejected and I always smile.

Wait was this thread really bitching that plebes are congesting their priority boarding queue? Oh barf. A successful trip is one were I walk up to the gate as it closing and I am the last one on. Fuuuuck waiting on the plane in the most uncomfortable seat ever designed.

Bad with money was getting my luggage stolen in Houston and not having any travel insurance. Lesson learned (don't go back to Houston).

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Higgy posted:

Just want to add that there's an entire thread for sperging out about travel before we all go too far down this rabbit hole.

Well, at least you tried

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Throwing 75k at a friend's business sight unseen is bad with money.

http://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/38x8z3/business_partner_fucked_over/ posted:

hey, im not sure if this the right sub for this situation. I invested over 75k into a massage clinic in toronto with my friend whom I have known for years. She told me she wanted a silent partner, where I didn't have to worry about much and not be nosy about the business. I know, red flag. but she was my close friend so I said ok with a promise of returns on my investment into this business. she signed a lease for 1 year. three weeks ago when the lease is due to be renewed. she told me the business is going under and all my money is gone. She said she tried to find a buyer but nothing. so shes closing down the business and one of the massage therapist is going to take over the lease. ALL my money is gone. I don't know if she sold it to the masseuse... but everyone is telling me I got scammed. I don't have any documents stating that I own half the business. what do I do now? is there any way I can get my money back? or at least some of it?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haifisch posted:

Throwing 75k at a friend's business sight unseen is bad with money.

Sight unseen, not necessarily terrible with money given sufficient knowledge and trust. Without any actual paperwork? That's the crazy talking.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Mixing friends and money without starting the business together as full partners? Bad with money, bad with friends.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ohgodwhat posted:

Bad with federal law? I'm pretty sure you certify that the image is less than 6 months old as part of the application...

They might check up on that EXIF file that comes attached with a hard copy of every photo! :rolleyes:

I did take my passport photo for my current passport the week I submitted the application, for the other stuff (police checks, visas, driver's license application, etc) they usually say six months but realistically most people can get away with a couple years. I'm 30 and apparently stopped ageing in my mid-twenties, so I had no issues re-using an old work visa photo from 4 years ago for my International Driver's Permit last week.

I am gonna take my next passport photo shirtless (above the nips) and see if the embassy says anything, will have a normal one as a backup though.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 9, 2015

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Bad With Money: loving Plebs crowding my priority boarding

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Desuwa posted:

Mixing friends and money without starting the business together as full partners? Bad with money, bad with friends.

So no happy ending?

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
Marco Rubio is bad with money
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/10/us/politics/marco-rubio-finances-debt-loans-credit.html

quote:

For years, Senator Marco Rubio struggled under the weight of student debt, mortgages and an extra loan against the value of his home totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars. But in 2012, financial salvation seemed to have arrived: A publisher paid him $800,000 to write a book about growing up as the son of Cuban immigrants.

In speeches, Mr. Rubio, a Florida Republican, spoke of his prudent plan for using the cash to finally pay off his law school loans, expressing relief that he no longer owed “a lady named Sallie Mae,” as he once called the lender.

But at the same time, he splurged on an extravagant purchase: $80,000 for a luxury speedboat, state records show. At the time, Mr. Rubio confided to a friend that it was a potentially inadvisable outlay that he could not resist. The 24-foot boat, he said, fulfilled a dream.

quote:

A review of the Rubio family’s finances — including many new documents — reveals a series of decisions over the past 15 years that experts called imprudent: significant debts; a penchant to spend heavily on luxury items like the boat and the lease of a $50,000 2015 Audi Q7; a strikingly low savings rate, even when Mr. Rubio was earning large sums; and inattentive accounting that led to years of unpaid local government fees.

quote:

Despite an income of $90,000 in 2001, Mr. Rubio wrote in his memoir, monthly expenses became so strained that he and his wife sold one of their two cars and, along with their young daughter, moved into the home of his mother-in-law.
But the belt-tightening was short-lived. In 2003, he bought his mother-in-law’s home in West Miami for $175,000, putting no money down.

Within a few years, Mr. Rubio had landed a job at a high-profile Miami law firm paying him $300,000 a year. As he would later do with the proceeds from his book, Mr. Rubio spent heavily.

First, he bought a house in Tallahassee with another state lawmaker for $135,000, again putting no money down.

quote:

An analysis of his financial disclosures by Jude Boudreaux, a longtime financial planner and an adjunct professor at Loyola University New Orleans teaching personal finance, shows that Mr. Rubio earned $2.38 million from 1998 to 2008 but ended up with an estimated net worth of $53,000 (slightly more than Mr. Rubio disclosed himself). His savings rate during that period was about 2 percent.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I'm fine with a certain amount of do as I say, not as I do but that is really not the kind of person that should have anything to do with large scale fiscal policy.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I really hope the guy didn't just give the girl the money cause he has a crush on her and wanted to score some points

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Barry posted:

I'm fine with a certain amount of do as I say, not as I do but that is really not the kind of person that should have anything to do with large scale fiscal policy.

Isn't he from a party that likes to compare good public finance to thrifty household finance?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I for one would vote a presidential candidate who lives by the motto "You've got to spend money on speedboats to make money"

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Delta-Wye posted:

I for one would vote a presidential candidate who lives by the motto "You've got to spend money on speedboats to make money"

Billion dollar aircraft carriers for everyone!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BarbarianElephant posted:

Isn't he from a party that likes to compare good public finance to thrifty household finance?

He's basically the Prince of the Tea Party, so yeah, that makes this a whole lot more hilarious.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Barry posted:

He's basically the Prince of the Tea Party, so yeah, that makes this a whole lot more hilarious.

Sounds like he's got a rad boat from which to throw goods in the harbor.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Harry posted:

This sounds like exactly something San Fran citizens would want to happen.

Considering that the entire point of having public EV chargers is to increase the total proportion of electric miles driven to all miles driven, you'd have to be King loving Retard to think they didn't want that to happen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Free public chargers are great, because I can't charge at home.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My Brother In Law is cashing out all of his equity and getting an interest only loan on his house to put all the money in Universal Life Insurance Policy posted:

My Brother In Law recently went to a seminar hosted by Douglas Andrew who wrote several books on becoming independently wealthy. The books are titled Missed Fortune 101 and Millionaire by Thirty. The Ideas is to use all of the equity in your house to invest in a Universal Life Policy that way your equity is making money. Part of the deal is it's suppose to be low risk through indexing. I am not a financial expert by any means. My Brother In Law has a degree in finance and works in finance and he is sold on the idea. This all seems to good to be true and gives me all the usual red flags. The problem is he is trying to talk other people in our family into doing it, so far my other brother in law is going to do it with him. Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

Live Abundant is the name of this company that does the seminars.

Professional BWM right here. Even has a degree in finance.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I can't link cause I'm on my phone, but The Forward Cabin (a travel and rewards credit card blog) just posted about a credit card issued by Commerce Bank that issues bonus points for every dollar in interest that accrues on your unpaid balance. The points earned by interest accrue at three times the rate of points earned by spend, so this is really the perfect card for the "always carry a balance" crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

pig slut lisa posted:

I can't link cause I'm on my phone, but The Forward Cabin (a travel and rewards credit card blog) just posted about a credit card issued by Commerce Bank that issues bonus points for every dollar in interest that accrues on your unpaid balance. The points earned by interest accrue at three times the rate of points earned by spend, so this is really the perfect card for the "always carry a balance" crowd.

That is such a brilliantly designed product. Whoever came up with that is probably going to buy a boat with his/her bonus this year.

• Locked thread