Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Kind of a stretch to say that the world is soaked in the 50's setting when there's nothing left of that era but blasted-apart relics that the modern day survivors are trying to jerry rig into something useful.

SunAndSpring posted:

Yeah, and the Centurions. Everyone else is stuck with shoulder-pads and cups.

Fallout is an entire series mocking the very idea of Americana and 50's culture. I feel you've missed the point of everything.

Okay so now Fallout has very little to do with 50s poo poo, whereas 5 posts ago it was a biting satire of 50s poo poo?

Like the game is just not really in any way a critique, it's a straight up celebration of that aesthetic. Which would be fine, if the game weren't seemingly convinced it is in fact a biting critique. And again, this is the literal exact same thing you see with steampunk

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

Okay so now Fallout has very little to do with 50s poo poo, whereas 5 posts ago it was a biting satire of 50s poo poo?

Like the game is just not really in any way a critique, it's a straight up celebration of that aesthetic. Which would be fine, if it weren't for the fact that it seems convinced it is in fact a biting critique. And again, this is the literal exact same thing you see with steampunk
or maybe, just maybe, you just don't like Fallout at all

everyone's clearly overthinking this

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

khy posted:

1) Do you guys think that if Fallout hadn't been sold off and Black Isle had made 3 and onward, would the series have gained as much mass market appeal as it did? In your opinions, would it be more or less successful than Bethesda made it?

If you want to see the bullet Fallout dodged by Bethesda taking it over, play Van Buren.

You wouldn't have been able to get anyone (outside of NMA and Obsidian fetishists) to buy that incarnation of Fallout 3 if you'd pay them.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 9, 2015

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I hope Bethesda realise people have a limit of 50s Americana and really focus on the other parts that make fallout fallout. Fo3 went way overboard with the 50s aesthetic and put me off for a long time. I associated fo3 with kids singing "world on fire" avatars of everyone being that jumpsuit smiley man laser beams lol! and 3 dogg. It was bland and unsubtle.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

If you want to see the bullet Fallout dodged by Bethesda taking it over, play Van Buren.

You wouldn't have been able to get anyone (outside of NMA and Obsidian fetishists) to buy that incarnation of Fallout 3 if you'd pay them.

That was simply a tech demo, though. Horribly unpolished and meant to be a test of the new engine is how I understood it. OR did they eventually release more than the tech demo?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Van Buren sounded pretty cool, from the design documents.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Aesthetics and politics/culture are not the same thing, you can "celebrate" (read: put it in your game because it's tied to the series) an aesthetic of a time and place while also critiquing the politics and culture of that time and place.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

Because it's impossible to criticize something like that while simultaneously soaking everything about the world's aesthetic in it, especially when the game's main appeal is in loving around and having fun in that world. I'm reminded of the Far Cry 3 thing where the game's writers intended to write a satire or parody and it ended up being indistinguishable from the real thing. It doesn't matter what the authors intended, the game's tone still comes out as "isn't 50s retro-futurism so cool??? :swoon:" Self-awareness isn't the same thing as critique. And it is the exact same situation as steampunk, fetishization of that historical setting and aesthetic while somehow being convinced it's a critique of it at the same time

we agree on like everything, its uncanny

idk how people can think the fallouts are satire even if theyre intended to be. they come off as straight up veneration

which is alright, the future is bright in the 50s. which may be irony but its certainly not satire

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I don't mind very vague references to a pre-war toxic mix of fascism, social conservatism and warmongering, using a 50s aesthetic to make it distinctly American also works, if used sparingly and intelligently.

In terms of 50s veneration there are a few points to consider.

Cool 50s music played constantly.

T-51b armour, literally the fascist uniform of pre-war American war criminals is the box art and Really Cool.

Despite everything the most Good Guy faction that exists in New Vegas is basically 'Merica part 2.

It could go on but I broadly agree with the point that you can't use a setting like this consistently without venerating it in some regard. Some more thoughtfulness in how its done in FO4 would be great. There's a lot more to explore in Fallout's pre-war dystopia than COMMIES AND NUKA COLA.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

maev posted:

Despite everything the most Good Guy faction that exists in New Vegas is basically 'Merica part 2.

Followers of the Apocalypse

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

khy posted:

That was simply a tech demo, though. Horribly unpolished and meant to be a test of the new engine is how I understood it. OR did they eventually release more than the tech demo?
It was a tech demo but they were totally gonna release that as-is, because MisterBibs knows that's how game development works (he's a special boy)

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
I wonder if the plot will just be incredibly retarded like fallout 3 or the most insanely boring trite ever made like skyrim

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hoodrich posted:

I wonder if the plot will just be incredibly retarded like fallout 3 or the most insanely boring trite ever made like skyrim
Fallout 3 had Point Lookout and the people who worked on that don't seem to have been fired, so there's hope!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

maev posted:

You mean the faction that's also shown to be almost hopelessly corrupt and stretched too thin, and will inevitably become either imperialist conquerors or collapse entirely unless they can figure their poo poo out?

I mean, yeah. You could technically call it "Merica part 2" in the sense that it features many of America's worst flaws and is very morally gray without help from people like the Courier.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

if rumors are to be believed, fallout 3 really should have been set when it was intended to be i.e. shortly after doomsday

a lot more works when that is assumed. the family in the national guard vault (best story in 3 or new vegas), the violin lady with her stradivarius, a ramshackle community around a bomb (?) or an aircraft carrier, etc

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
hmm yes i dislike fallout because it's so ~steampunk~ but i'll go root through dwarven ruins in skyrim all day.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Blue Raider posted:

if rumors are to be believed, fallout 3 really should have been set when it was intended to be i.e. shortly after doomsday

a lot more works when that is assumed. the family in the national guard vault (best story in 3 or new vegas), the violin lady with her stradivarius, a ramshackle community around a bomb (?) or an aircraft carrier, etc
Yeah, it's really weird that they didn't set it at year 2107 for that reason. Little Lamplight would also have been fairly believable, as their society would have changed far from that within 200 years but that dumb system would have stuck for a couple generations.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

You are retarded http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723844&userid=166124

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I don't get how you can possibly think the Fallout games venerate the Cold War mindset. Does Wolfenstein: The New Order venerate Nazism? Your character dwells in a blasted hellscape directly created by Cold War jingoism and paranoia, not to mention the town in FO3 whose obsession with 1950's values has led them to widespread inbreeding and predatory cannibalism.

Like, if you seriously think the NCR is some kind of unironic endorsement of America's foreign policy, and not a blatant critique, I don't know what to tell you. Quite a few of their soldiers point out that they have no real reason to be there other then foolish pride and/or overt expansionism, the game isn't very subtle about it or anything.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 9, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
NV is worse than 3 because it doesn't have baby mode.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Volkerball posted:

hmm yes i dislike fallout because it's so ~steampunk~ but i'll go root through dwarven ruins in skyrim all day.

skyrim doesn't think it's a critique of anything and doesn't push some insipid attempt at political commentary. to be fair i might be reacting to the fans more than the game itself, and other stuff with a similar aesthetic like bioshock, but still

khy
Aug 15, 2005

To be fair, he has a point about how loving great liberty prime was. Best part of FO3 hands down. From the anti-communist loudspeaker to the way it delivers mininukes, everything about Liberty Prime was amazing.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

khy posted:

To be fair, he has a point about how loving great liberty prime was. Best part of FO3 hands down. From the anti-communist loudspeaker to the way it delivers mininukes, everything about Liberty Prime was amazing.
Broken clock

icantfindaname posted:

skyrim doesn't think it's a critique of anything and doesn't push some insipid attempt at political commentary. to be fair i might be reacting to the fans more than the game itself, and other stuff with a similar aesthetic like bioshock, but still
I don't think it's fair to compare Bioshock to Fallout, mostly because the latter is about people having to live with it and having known nothing else, as opposed to having their fantasy of an ideal society crumble. Wasteland 2 has the same theme as well, and everyone's just about as uneducated as you'd expect.

But if you don't like political content in general basically anything with more than a token attempt at a story is pretty much out of your appreciation range. Pillars of Eternity is also fantasy, but it has heaps of political commentary, even if it's only in the context of fantasy settings, and the Witcher 3, while a fantasy setting, is a massive pisstake on the political controversies in Poland.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 9, 2015

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

liberty prime was legit cool. it was a spectacle in a game series that desperately needs it

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Your character dwells in a blasted hellscape directly created by Cold War jingoism and paranoia, not to mention the town in FO3 whose obsession with 1950's values has led them to widespread inbreeding and predatory cannibalism.

Didn't you know that 1 in 3 households back in the 50's was full of cannibalistic inbreeders? True fact.

How else could you explain the amount of retardation that produced all those hippies?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah anyway on my newest replay I'm finding stuff I never found and exploring places I've never explored, like the H&H Tools factory where one of the workers went totally shithouse crazy and paranoid in the pre-war days and started making all kinds of weird demands on the workers and installed dangerous security measures...

...and also was probably Mr. House. I'm sure it's something that 90% of players already knew about from combing through the wikia or whatever, but I stumbled across it completely on my own and thought it was cool.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think I said this before in the New Vegas thread but I'll mention it again, Fallout 3 did feel like fanfiction that reused plot beats from Fallout 1 and 2 and mixed them together in a way that didn't quite work but you also have to remember that Fallout 3 is more or less a mini-reboot of the series to new audiences. Fallout was a cult classic but the mainstream had never heard of it until Fallout 3, so much of Fallout 3 was reintroducing the setting to the newcomers and expanding the fanbase exponentially.

It's why I have a feeling that Fallout 4 will be significantly better than 3, but still not as good as New Vegas because now that the setting has been reestablished, Bethesda can do their own thing on the East Coast and introduce new ideas to the series. You had hints of that anyway with what you heard about The Institute in Fallout 3.

khy posted:

Couple things I was thinking of on my way home from work today.

1) Do you guys think that if Fallout hadn't been sold off and Black Isle had made 3 and onward, would the series have gained as much mass market appeal as it did? In your opinions, would it be more or less successful than Bethesda made it?

2) A lot of the Fallout appeal is the ruined cities, ruined structures, homes and dwellings and towns built out of makeshift rubble, debris, etc. Important landmarks are turned into important bases by the factions that take control.

Let's say a new fallout title appears, and the survivors have started an organized cleanup, rebuilding, new materials, clearing up rubble, etc. Would it still be as interesting a world to play a game in? How would you guys see the future of the Fallout series? We can't stay in a wasteland forever after all...

To your first point, probably not. NMA and other Fallout fans wanted Troika to get the IP but let's be honest, Troika was completely terrible when it came to the business side of things which resulted in rushed, unbroken and sometimes completely unplayable games without unofficial patches, worse than any of the Fallout games on release even. If Troika had the IP then it wouldn't have really helped because they still wouldn't have had a publisher willing to fund a new Fallout game.

During this time, Obsidian just started up and were too busy working on Knights of the Old Republic 2 and frankly, didn't have the funds to even dream of buying the series. So if anything, I'm sort of glad Bethesda picked up the rights because without them, Fallout would have died there and then, even if Bethesda's strengths aren't a brilliant fit for Fallout. The alternatives is some lovely shovelware developers getting their mitts on the series and releasing games of similar quality to the console Brotherhood of Steel game.

For your second point, that was the primary complaint about New Vegas wasn't it? That game was more post-post apocalyptic than it was post apocalyptic. While DC still being a shithole 200 years after the bombs fell was a huge glaring issue with Fallout 3, it did offer some more interesting locations to explore for a lot of people than New Vegas did, despite New Vegas being the better game.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 9, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah anyway on my newest replay I'm finding stuff I never found and exploring places I've never explored, like the H&H Tools factory where one of the workers went totally shithouse crazy and paranoid in the pre-war days and started making all kinds of weird demands on the workers and installed dangerous security measures...

...and also was probably Mr. House. I'm sure it's something that 90% of players already knew about from combing through the wikia or whatever, but I stumbled across it completely on my own and thought it was cool.
His brother actually

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

khy posted:

Didn't you know that 1 in 3 households back in the 50's was full of cannibalistic inbreeders? True fact.

How else could you explain the amount of retardation that produced all those hippies?

Hey, hippies were a perfectly natural counter culture response to that and the following miserable decade.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Hey, hippies were a perfectly natural counter culture response to that and the following miserable decade.
The anti-gun-control anarchist liberals of the 70s were way better.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MisterBibs posted:

How can I play a game that doesn't actually exist, and never existed beyond tech demos and design documents?

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

King Vidiot posted:

i don't think it's mr. house. pretty sure like basically nothing in the bethesda east coasts parallelverse actually relates to the canon west coast fallout you see in new vegas

Wilks Checkov
May 20, 2015

Member: Dual Universe Explorers

Alpha Participant in Dual Universe

Founder & CEO of the corporation: Allied Corporate States in Dual Universe
Looking forward to the game, hope it takes the quality of story-line from Fallout 3 and adds it with the length of Fallout New Vegas's story-line. Should be interesting to see the new mechanics and modification systems that they have added as well. Game is on the top of my list for "CAN NOT loving WAIT FOR RELEASE", I wanna play now, but with all good things we must be patient. Will be happy to see a little game-play during this years E3. Should give us a small sneak peak at what to expect.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I think I said this before in the New Vegas thread but I'll mention it again, Fallout 3 did feel like fanfiction that reused plot beats from Fallout 1 and 2 and mixed them together in a way that didn't quite work but you also have to remember that Fallout 3 is more or less a mini-reboot of the series to new audiences. Fallout was a cult classic but the mainstream had never heard of it until Fallout 3, so much of Fallout 3 was reintroducing the setting to the newcomers and expanding the fanbase exponentially.

It's why I have a feeling that Fallout 4 will be significantly better than 3, but still not as good as New Vegas because now that the setting has been reestablished, Bethesda can do their own thing on the East Coast and introduce new ideas to the series. You had hints of that anyway with what you heard about The Institute in Fallout 3.

To your first point, probably not. NMA and other Fallout fans wanted Troika to get the IP but let's be honest, Troika was completely terrible when it came to the business side of things which resulted in rushed, unbroken and sometimes completely unplayable games without unofficial patches, worse than any of the Fallout games on release even. If Troika had the IP then it wouldn't have really helped because they still wouldn't have had a publisher willing to fund a new Fallout game.

During this time, Obsidian just started up and were too busy working on Knights of the Old Republic 2 and frankly, didn't have the funds to even dream of buying the series. So if anything, I'm sort of glad Bethesda picked up the rights because without them, Fallout would have died there and then, even if Bethesda's strengths aren't a brilliant fit for Fallout. The alternatives is some lovely shovelware developers getting their mitts on the series and releasing games of similar quality to the console Brotherhood of Steel game.

For your second point, that was the primary complaint about New Vegas wasn't it? That game was more post-post apocalyptic than it was post apocalyptic. While DC still being a shithole 200 years after the bombs fell was a huge glaring issue with Fallout 3, it did offer some more interesting locations to explore for a lot of people than New Vegas did, despite New Vegas being the better game.

more interesting locations such as 90 subway tunnels

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hoodrich posted:

i don't think it's mr. house. pretty sure like basically nothing in the bethesda east coasts parallelverse actually relates to the canon west coast fallout you see in new vegas
H&H Tools is a building north of New Vegas, which was a company House's pissant brother owned.

Wilks Checkov posted:

Looking forward to the game, hope it takes the quality of story-line from Fallout 3 and adds it with the length of Fallout New Vegas's story-line. Should be interesting to see the new mechanics and modification systems that they have added as well. Game is on the top of my list for "CAN NOT loving WAIT FOR RELEASE", I wanna play now, but with all good things we must be patient. Will be happy to see a little game-play during this years E3. Should give us a small sneak peak at what to expect.
I remember when I was this excited for games and reality hasn't set in yet :allears:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

His brother actually

Is there anything that would point you there to learn their backstory during any other quests though? I'm curious if that's the only place to learn about the Houses.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
oh i see. is it that huge industrial building just off the freeway?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

Is there anything that would point you there to learn their backstory during any other quests though? I'm curious if that's the only place to learn about the Houses.
That's pretty much the only place you learn about the House family, really. The other information with Mr. House buying out H&H tools from under his brother after his brother pretty much took all of the inheritance of the elder House is in the artbook-strategy guide, IIRC.

Hoodrich posted:

oh i see. is it that huge industrial building just off the freeway?
One of them, since there are several factories. It's a bit southwest of the random houses north of Vegas, and a ways around the border of Westside.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/H%26H_Tools_Factory

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 9, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

khy posted:

CoW was too short and needed more skill checks. Archmage when you don't have a single magic skill above 25 is not good design.

I don't want skill checks like this in either TES or Fallout to be honest because I'd rather these games avoid this sort of content gating even at the sacrifice of my immersion :qq:. However, I am all about lengthy quest lines that expect me to do really awesome and challenging stuff with the skills that relate to that quest line. That is 10x more fun than just having high numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Xavier434 posted:

I don't want skill checks like this in either TES or Fallout to be honest because I'd rather these games avoid this sort of content gating even at the sacrifice of my immersion :qq:. However, I am all about lengthy quest lines that expect me to do really awesome and challenging stuff with the skills that relate to that quest line. That is 10x more fun than just having high numbers.
New Vegas curtailed that problem somewhat by hiding the funniest poo poo in skill check failures.

• Locked thread