Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I posted about my last experience taking a late autumn drive in the mountains last year before the roads closed due to snow. There were few cars on the road, but those that were there were obviously not tourists but trying to get somewhere. They were driving large SUVs, and inevitably, they would go very slowly in the corners and then speed up quickly and be 10-15 MPH over on the straights. I wasn't driving much faster than they were on the straights, but quite a bit faster when the roads were twisty. They probably thought they were doing me a favor by speeding up so much when the roads were straight, and if I were driving my Miata, I would have had no possibility of getting by them. Fortunately, I wasn't driving my Miata and getting by them quickly and safely was a non-issue. Stopping to let them get five minutes ahead is stupid and not something that you should have to do if you are spending $30k on a vehicle. And what if a similarly slow vehicle comes along 4 1/2 minutes later?

I was one of the earlier, vocal dissenters against where Mazda seemed to be taking the ND in terms of performance. A year ago, I was firmly in the camp of buying an ND, and started a fund solely for that purpose. When the specs came out, I was pretty disappointed at where I thought the performance levels would end up. Surprisingly, they have been better than I thought, and at an acceptable level if I were still in the market for an ND. Two things, though, have turned me off from doing so. First, to get it equipped with an LSD is a few thousand more than I feel is worthwhile for me in my situation (where I am replacing both two-seaters that I own). Second is just the bad taste in my mouth that I've gotten from the divisive nature of the discussion here. It devolved into sniping and those who felt that Mazda made the right decision just being needlessly derisive and sarcastic to those who wanted a higher performance Miata, and frankly I don't want to be associated with the attitude and maturity level that group exhibits.

Whatever. I'm sure there'll be enough sarcastic comments directed at this post as well. But the deed is done. The money originally destined for an ND, that I decided should go somewhere else, only to find that an ND would fit my performance level needs, won't go to Mazda despite how much I want the Miata to succeed because I so much enjoy my NA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Phone posted:

Second is just the bad taste in my mouth that I've gotten from the divisive nature of the discussion here.

Hahaha, you care enough about what people on an internet forum think to keep you from buying something you wanted and saved for.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

The divisiveness of m.net claims another miata :(

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Nocheez posted:

Hahaha, you care enough about what posters on an internet forum think to keep you from buying something you wanted and saved for.
It's a quote from M.net, isn't it?

It's weird how much power people 'need' in a sports car now. The ND does 0-60 3 seconds quicker than any standard NA ever did new, but that's not quick enough!

The 1.8 started at ~$27k adjusted for inflation as well, so crying about the price is kinda weird as well.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nocheez posted:

Hahaha, you care enough about what people on an internet forum think to keep you from buying something you wanted and saved for.

Exactly like I said. I'm glad you feel it's fine to come to a forum where everyone has a common interest and you deem it appropriate to be sarcastic. I sure hope you aren't like this in real life to real people. You know, the idea is to have a civil discussion where everyone gets something out of it. Instead, you'd rather belittle. Nice. Your comment says volumes about you, rather than what was being discussed.

This is exactly the immature behavior that has caused so much consternation in this group.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I'm not being sarcastic. I truly think it's funny that you let what anyone else thinks sway you from doing what you wanted to do. If I gave 2 shits what anyone else thought about my car purchases, I wouldn't have gotten a Miata. Instead, I doubled down and put a loving hitch on it so I could carry my mountain bike easier. Haters gonna hate.

edit: if you think it's immature to be called out for being butt-hurt about the "community" then I don't know what to tell you. Mature people would leave a community that they don't agree with instead of letting them get inside their head.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nocheez posted:

I'm not being sarcastic. I truly think it's funny that you let what anyone else thinks sway you from doing what you wanted to do. If I gave 2 shits what anyone else thought about my car purchases, I wouldn't have gotten a Miata. Instead, I doubled down and put a loving hitch on it so I could carry my mountain bike easier. Haters gonna hate.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php?p=7514779&postcount=178
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php?p=7514971&postcount=188

vvv - i'm sorry :nsacloud:

Phone fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 4, 2015

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
God drat it. I don't read Miata.net and thought Phone had a psychotic break. I lose the internet today.

edit: I'll leave everything up because why not. It's just a forum :v:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i did some mountain driving myself recently and passed those suv fuckers anyways

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
OK actual content

rhombus posted:

Gonna buy some reman rear calipers. Any brands I need to avoid or can I just pickup whatever is cheapest on RockAuto?

I grabbed a Raybestos reman for the the driver rear back in 2011 from Rockauto. It's held up to a fair share of track and street miles and sitting for the entirety of 2012.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I had a feeling that was some copypasta just because of phone making GBS threads all over m.net's benchracers in the past. :bravo: Phone.

Bubba on m.net probably put $50 towards the ND in his 'fund' and realized that a brand new car costs a shitload more than his clapped out NA is worth.

Probably spent that money on bullshit stick on wood veneers to match his nardi knob or some poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nocheez posted:

God drat it. I don't read Miata.net and thought Phone had a psychotic break. I lose the internet today.

The new avatar wasn't helping. I'm just confused by AI this week.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5022012079.html

This 90 with 58k miles for 5 grand doesn't add up, does it? Should I check this out?

f_c_
Oct 27, 2007

My 95 miata has a hesitation between 3000 and 4000 rpms. This only happens if I'm driving it kind of easy to moderate. I just rebuilt the motor and it seems a little worse than before plus I kind of need to drive it on the easy side for a bit. Ill list everything I have tried so far.

The motor, head, intake, and throttle body are very clean thanks to the rebuild.
New ngk plugs and wires.
The coils and tps sensor check out ok according to my multimeter reading
I'm very sure that my cam timing is correct.
I advanced my ignition timing to 16 degrees.

The timing advance helped out a whole lot but there is still a little hesitation. It doesnt fall on its face anymore but still has a very noticeable dip as it goes through that 3k to 4k range unless I'm WOT. I'd appreciate any advice anybody has got.

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013

Bacon Hat posted:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5022012079.html

This 90 with 58k miles for 5 grand doesn't add up, does it? Should I check this out?

Edit:
Nevermind, it has a hardtop. 5k is the right price for that car. Though, I would rather buy a 94 or 95 with 100k miles and a hardtop for 4000-4500.

asmasm fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 5, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My friend is looking to sell his 1990 with 73k soft top. I'm hopefully going to look at it this weekend. Is there anything I should look out? Rust is my main worry but it's been garaged most of its life. I think he's the second or third owner. He hasn't listed it anywhere yet so unfortunately I don't have any pics or can link you to anything.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elysium posted:

The connector didn't fail, the battery came loose and the movement of the battery was enough to wear down the cable itself. So do I get one of these? http://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...3458565cmpid=cj

Be sure to get that battery secured, please!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

The new avatar wasn't helping. I'm just confused by AI this week.

As soon as I got halfway through that post I double checked the username because I know Phone cannot stop touching the poop.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

HotCanadianChick posted:

As soon as I got halfway through that post I double checked the username because I know Phone cannot stop touching the poop.

I replied to the dude "you must have a very important and busy life if you can't pull over and take a 5 minute breather" and I got a final warning for trolling. The reply I pasted to NoCheez was the reply I received. :v: NoCheez had a significantly stronger worded reply than I did, I'm kind of curious what the response would be, haha.

I contacted someone on mnet who posted in the ND subforum who had just recently bought a 94 and was looking for an airbag computer. I called him up today to sort out the details, and he was like "you're a really nice guy to reach out and the miata community is really great" and I explained to him that I have him my email address immediately because I was about to be banned again and explained why I was going to get banned (read: telling people no one cares when they post their fever dreams of a 175HP ND). His response was "why don't they just buy a faster car if that's what they want?" :nsallears:p

Phone fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 5, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Phone just buy a loving Z3.....Oh wait never mind :v:

Knew that wasn't you because there were no swear words in that wall of text.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I went to test drive a 2005 in basically perfect condition with 62k miles today. When I sat in the car with the seat all the way back and my left foot resting on the clutch my left knee was wedged between the steering wheel and the door handle/arm rest. I'm 6'3" with longish legs and a shortish torso. Between simple reversible mods like clutch pedal adjustment, gas pedal modification, seat foam reshaping, and an armrest delete will a NB ever be comfortable enough to daily?

Headroom didn't seem to be a problem, just legroom. I didn't test drive it because I was afraid of getting something wedged and losing control while driving someone else's car. If it means tearing a bunch of poo poo out and permanently ruining the car for anyone shorter than me I'm not interested. I want something I will be able to resell later if I have need of a more functional vehicle.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

how hard is it for someone to just break into a hardtop 90s miata, or just walk away with the top?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bacon Hat posted:

how hard is it for someone to just break into a hardtop 90s miata, or just walk away with the top?

If someone wants something they will get it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IIRC there are locks available for the latches. If they just want to break into it all they gotta do is smash the window like any other car.

I never lock my doors and just don't leave anything of value in the car.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
2 guys could steal a hardtop in 10 seconds.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Mine would have to search for 30 seconds first to get the 10MM wrench in my glove box. Bolting the side down instead of latching it really helps security in my mind. If you're going to the trouble of leaving the hardtop at home, loosening 4 bolts isnt much hassle.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
I, too, never lock the doors. Whatever I have in the car isn't worth the cost of replacing a slashed top.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

urakawa posted:

Whereabouts in Japan are you? Rainy season is brutal. Then again used jdm parts are cheap so you may be able to score a hardtop for not much

I'm on Kyushu, lots of tropical rear end weather up in here. I'm stalking a few hardtops on auctions right now but the market price has gone up a little since the last time I looked, $400-500 for something with a defroster and probably not color matched.

UnkleBoB posted:

I, too, never lock the doors. Whatever I have in the car isn't worth the cost of replacing a slashed top.

I could leave the top down with the keys in the drat ignition and I doubt anybody would give it a second look. :japan: I remember when I used to live back up north, in winter people would just keep their engines running when they went into the convenience store to keep the cabin warm.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
Very cool. I lived in Oita for a year for study abroad. Had a TZR250 2 stroke motorcycle over there. Even met a drift crew up in the mountains in Beppu. I miss living in Japan :(

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

urakawa posted:

Very cool. I lived in Oita for a year for study abroad. Had a TZR250 2 stroke motorcycle over there. Even met a drift crew up in the mountains in Beppu. I miss living in Japan :(

Nice, there are some beautiful and badass roads in Oita, I should probably take a drive out there next weekend. I was far too busy enjoying them to take any pictures last time I was out there.

Speaking of taking pictures, I went to the city today and the Mazda dealer had an ND out front. I was just gonna sneak some pics but a salesman came out and let me take a look a good long look inside and out even though I told him up front I couldn't possibly buy one :v: Even got to sit in the drivers seat and turn on the engine. This car is the Japanese base grade model.

Click for album of crappy phone pics

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

RillAkBea posted:

Nice, there are some beautiful and badass roads in Oita, I should probably take a drive out there next weekend. I was far too busy enjoying them to take any pictures last time I was out there.

Speaking of taking pictures, I went to the city today and the Mazda dealer had an ND out front. I was just gonna sneak some pics but a salesman came out and let me take a look a good long look inside and out even though I told him up front I couldn't possibly buy one :v: Even got to sit in the drivers seat and turn on the engine. This car is the Japanese base grade model.

Click for album of crappy phone pics

Gosh that's nice. I was ambivalent about it, but now I like it. I'd love to see what all that leftmost gage shows in the instrument cluster. Looks like you can see all kinds of different things. Or maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. Still, that's quite an attractive car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

urakawa posted:

I lived in Fusa near Tokyo for three years, had a GSXR750 and was up in the mountains every weekend. Every Saturday night was street drags, and I would race GTRs and RX7s. Yeah it was dumb and I could have got killed, but I was 20 yrs old. I miss the mountains, the food and just the Japanese culture in general. I could have stayed there the rest of my life and sometimes I wish I did.

God I miss good ramen :(

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

leica posted:

I lived in Fusa near Tokyo for three years, had a GSXR750 and was up in the mountains every weekend. Every Saturday night was street drags, and I would race GTRs and RX7s. Yeah it was dumb and I could have got killed, but I was 20 yrs old. I miss the mountains, the food and just the Japanese culture in general. I could have stayed there the rest of my life and sometimes I wish I did.

God I miss good ramen :(

Do you speak Japanese or is it possible to get by only speaking English?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You can get by speaking English in and around Tokyo, not sure about other areas though. I actually spoke and read (Kana) Japanese pretty well, but after all these years not using it, it has pretty much left me.

[e] I really wish I would have taken more pictures when I was there, I have one photo album for the three years I was there, pretty lame :(

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 8, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I'm in the same boat, ten years ago I was pretty drat fluent and knew all the kana and could read kanji at about 2nd grade level but not using it at all for a decade+ is making it hard to remember anything but the most basic grammar. :(

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Mooseykins posted:

Do you speak Japanese or is it possible to get by only speaking English?

I speak it pretty fluently and given how much I use it in everyday life I really want to say you need some Japanese to live in Japan and yet I've met more than a few expats who've been here for decades and can hardly speak a word. :psyduck:

I have absolutely no intention of leaving Japan. I don't like my job and my apartment is tiny but if I was still living in England I'd be sharing the tiny apartment, I'd still hate my job and to top it all off I'd be in England!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I got around OK and fed myself with the most elementary of stuff. I can read both alphabets and I can recognize 100ish Kanji; however, I was on vacation and was staying with a fluent friend.

That said, I'm boot camping for the next 9 months so I'm not doing これおねがいします and pointing when I visit again.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Gangringo posted:

I went to test drive a 2005 in basically perfect condition with 62k miles today. When I sat in the car with the seat all the way back and my left foot resting on the clutch my left knee was wedged between the steering wheel and the door handle/arm rest. I'm 6'3" with longish legs and a shortish torso. Between simple reversible mods like clutch pedal adjustment, gas pedal modification, seat foam reshaping, and an armrest delete will a NB ever be comfortable enough to daily?

Headroom didn't seem to be a problem, just legroom. I didn't test drive it because I was afraid of getting something wedged and losing control while driving someone else's car. If it means tearing a bunch of poo poo out and permanently ruining the car for anyone shorter than me I'm not interested. I want something I will be able to resell later if I have need of a more functional vehicle.

The short answer is no, there's not a whole lot you can do to make it comfortable. It's just a very small car. I'm 5'10 and I barely have any leg room in my NB (2005), and that's with a seat adjustment necessitated by a seat cooler thing that I got recently and will eventually get around to describing here.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Gangringo posted:

I'm 6'3" with longish legs and a shortish torso. Between simple reversible mods like clutch pedal adjustment, gas pedal modification, seat foam reshaping, and an armrest delete will a NB ever be comfortable enough to daily?

Smaller diameter aftermarket wheel (great mod regardless), PCI seat bracket that bolts to the floor with a non entry level aftermarket seat.

The NA might fit you better, some guys on mnet are even taller than you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
As someone who is 6'4 and has owned all models ranges, the na and nc are the best for taller people.