Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Is there a good romance manga like My Love Story that's available in America?

Paradise Kiss

and
Kimi ni Todoke (you can prolly stop once they finally kiss. it's been kinda dragging on for a while now)
Girl Friends
Lovely Complex
are all quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Smoking Crow posted:

Lord of the Rings is good dummy

I meant Love Hina is bad and has no redeeming qualities

Clarste posted:

Tenchi is more of a typical teenage power fantasy. He's secretly the most important person in the universe, has access to godlike power somehow, and everyone wants to sleep with him.

Not everybody wants to sleep with Tenchi, only two chicks want to sleep with him

a kitten posted:

Paradise Kiss

and
Kimi ni Todoke (you can prolly stop once they finally kiss. it's been kinda dragging on for a while now)
Girl Friends
Lovely Complex
are all quite good.

Those don't do the will they/won't they thing?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

boom boom boom posted:

Those don't do the will they/won't they thing?

There's like two romance manga in existence that don't do that and I can only think of one right now.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Really good when you cook it with anise.

the poo poo europs love to put in their liquor?

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
they get together pretty early on in lovely complex, don't they? i saw it when it was airing so i could be misremembering.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Yeah, you should probably buy Love Live Weiss Schwarz cards.

i don't know anything about love live but i'm still tempted to get that and the hatsune miku deck just to have anime music girl battles.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Paper Triangle posted:

they get together pretty early on in lovely complex, don't they? i saw it when it was airing so i could be misremembering.

Nah, it's like an episode or two before the end, from what I remember.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
also i checked and there don't seem to be any actual abyssal fleet cards so idk where pon alien even found that

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

also tenchi muyo didn't establish harem cliches kimagure orange road did

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

also tenchi muyo didn't establish harem cliches kimagure orange road did

This is also true.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

They get together at the same point in the manga version of LoveCom but it's farther from the end 'cause they switch to "can they stay together" instead.

In ParaKiss they get together almost immediately, it's very different from My Love Story but amazingly good.

The others i mentioned drag out the getting together process a lot especially KnT. GIrl Friends does too, but its only like 6 volumes long so it doesn't really seem like it to me.

If i had to recommend just one i'd say to read Paradise Kiss.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Urusei Yatsura was the anti-harem before harem anime was really a thing.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

There's like two romance manga in existence that don't do that and I can only think of one right now.

usagi drop kinda when you think about it lol

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

boom boom boom posted:

Negima is set in the same universe as and shares chaarcters with Love Hina?

Yeah basically. Motoko's school/sword style is the recurring element that has shown up repeatedly through all 3 series. Not too surprising considering the Motoko centric chapters were essentially the prototype for Negima and UQ Holder, and I think Akamatsu himself said that she was his favorite character.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 9, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Really good when you cook it with anise.

I'm lazy so I just steamed it in the husk and rubbed some butter and salt on it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PotU posted:

Ahahaha...

:suicide:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Allarion posted:

Yeah basically. Motoko's school/sword style is the recurring element that has shown up repeatedly through all 3 series. Not too surprising considering the Motoko centric chapters were essentially the prototype for Negima and UQ Holder, and I think Akamatsu himself said that she was his favorite character.

I kinda want to read Negima, just because I've heard that he started it as another harem manga but then turned it in to a battle manga when his publishers weren't paying attention. Which is amusing to me

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

PotU posted:

I'm not gonna!!!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I've tried a couple of times, but I could never get past the beginning without totally losing interest.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the mc in orange yano i forgot the rest of the title fucks the love interest like a third into the manga.

the couple in midori days get together in the first chapter haha

yandere kanajo has them get together in the first chapter and another couple forms like halfway through

oh my sweet alien is about a married couple

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The main couple in Say I Love You get together pretty much right away.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm lazy so I just steamed it in the husk and rubbed some butter and salt on it.

When I say cook I just mean boil the corn with star anise.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

the poo poo europs love to put in their liquor?

That sounds good.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I need more shoujo in my life.

Gonna make it a point to start some after I finish a bunch of the series I'm already embroiled in.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Coworker told me he enjoyed the dirty pair movie but he wished there was more nudity, especially of the hot redhead.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Davincie posted:

the mc in orange yano i forgot the rest of the title fucks the love interest like a third into the manga.

the couple in midori days get together in the first chapter haha

yandere kanajo has them get together in the first chapter and another couple forms like halfway through

oh my sweet alien is about a married couple

Nice job nameing three series that have never benn published in America and one that's out of print for years

Everything Burrito posted:

The main couple in Say I Love You get together pretty much right away.

That looks like it could be not bad. Is it not bad?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Gonna make it a point to start some after I finish a bunch of the series I'm already embroiled in.

If you read one shoujo you've read like 70% of them.

Also Orange Yane annoyed me because when he finally had sex with the woman magically all of his problems were solved, he got like 15 promotions at work, and now whoops the only problem he has is too many women want to gently caress him (but he is of course totally devoted to his not-wife because he is perfect now and the other women only want to use him). It's like a salaryman's fantasy complete with immaculate public image.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

That looks like it could be not bad. Is it not bad?

I've read the first four volumes. It's not bad, though the male main character's hair is.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I liked it. I know some people were put off by the very beginning because there's some kissing without consent, so take that into consideration. There's also an anime but I didn't think it was as good as the manga.

The manga is still ongoing but it's also reached that point similar to Kimi ni Todoke where it has extended past the point where it really should have ended, but it's only a fraction as long as KnT and moved a LOT faster.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dubcon kissing is my kink

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

chumbler posted:

If you read one shoujo you've read like 70% of them.
Here is my shoujo credentials list:
  1. Ouran High School Host Club
  2. My Love Story!!
  3. Inferno Cop

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Love hina is really loving bland by my advanced modern standards, although the panty shots are good

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've read a lot but most of it I wouldn't recommend to anyone or even admit to.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bad Seafood posted:

My Hero is cute and short.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I've read the first four volumes. It's not bad, though the male main character's hair is.

Namtab posted:

Dubcon kissing is my kink

Cool, I'm caught up with all the other mangas I'm reading(except Blood Blockade Battlefront. I don't know why but if a book shop has any volumes at all it has like, three different non consecutive volumes. I just need an excuse to drive across town to go to the store that has volume 7) so I wanted to start a new series.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Has Keijo!!!!!!!! been licensed yet?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Everyone whose all, "Wow! All this shoujochat makes me want to be a preteen girl, too!" should read House of the Sun/Taiyou no Ie. It's really good and cute. It's as much (or more) about family as romance, and doesn't do the all-too-common thing where it goes on past its welcome.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I admit, I still haven't gotten far into Ouran High School Host Club, mostly because of the strong feeling I get that I've read or seen a lot of it in other shoujo before. I assume something changes at some point that people love it for.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Allarion posted:

I admit, I still haven't gotten far into Ouran High School Host Club, mostly because of the strong feeling I get that I've read or seen a lot of it in other shoujo before. I assume something changes at some point that people love it for.

Not really. It's fun and funny, and I like it, but I don't really get why it inspires the love it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Possibly because you're reading the manga and not watching the better anime instead

• Locked thread