Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Vanderdeath posted:

Dragon's Dogma not coming to the PC likely solidified its demise in the West. I maintain that it could've been an amazing game to have on the PC because there was nothing quite like it. :smith:

Isn't the new one coming to PC? I dunno how english-dependent it will be, might still work even as a japan-only release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Finished the main quests last night and while I got one of the "good" endings, it was still pretty sad. don't take your daughter to meet their terrible biological father

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
As much as 95% of this game is fantastic the horse riding is absolutely dismal, it seems like a coin flip as to whether Roach will just stop for no reason whatsoever, it's faster to just bunny hop around on foot like it's Counter Strike

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So I think I may have found a bug and I wanna know if there's a way to fix it. It's with the availability of a quest. Gonna spoiler tag it for people who don't wanna see things but I will say now it's in Valen and isn't part of the main story.

What happened:
I was doing the quest from the Quartermaster near the Pontar Crossing to get a pass and was riding towards the quest zone (where you encounter the two Aghuls). On my way past I saw a house alone (on the map of Valen it's the house to the north-east of the Inn At The Crossroads, over the bridge) with a exclamation mark on it and a Rabid Dog outside. I killed the dog and looked around with wither vision seeing there was a red highlighted piece of meat which upon interaction Geralt said something about "Eating dog, must be hungry". However I decided not to go into the house but rather finish the quest I was currently on. I came back the the house after finish the quest, I can't remember if I save/loaded between that, and the exclamation mark was gone; the door on the house isn't listed as locked but won't open, the wild dog is gone and the red highlighted meat isn't highlighted or interact-able anymore.

Is this a bug? If so any suggestions on fixing it? If not can someone tell me what I missed out on and if it has repercussions down the line?

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Voyager I posted:

I think it's also stated that invoking the Law of Surprise in the Witcher universe is an accepted thing and sometimes if you're not sure what to ask for a suitable reward you just go "Uh...that which you find...but knew not you had!" and hope it comes across as wise and mysterious instead of an rear end-pull. Maybe you get a shovel, maybe you get a kid!

Also Destiny seems to be a real thing so sometimes the Law probably just works.

That's how Eskel got his horse, Scorpion.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Isn't the new one coming to PC? I dunno how english-dependent it will be, might still work even as a japan-only release.

It'll likely work but in my experience with Japan-only games, the latency is poo poo and makes them nigh unplayable in the case of Monster Hunter Frontier and Japanese Dungeon Fighter Online.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Vanderdeath posted:

It'll likely work but in my experience with Japan-only games, the latency is poo poo and makes them nigh unplayable in the case of Monster Hunter Frontier and Japanese Dungeon Fighter Online.

Yeah you gotta find the niche community of us players or it won't work - hopefully it is sanely architected and the instances aren't still going through a central server. I don't think it's really MMO, it seems more like Diablo-style "get a group and play with 4 people".

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
I am finding that at around level 22 or so - leveling becomes a real pain as most of the quests are well below the level-threshold to earn XP... Puzzling.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You are 22? Don't look at what level you are it literally doesn't matter any more.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

alright so nerds riddle me this:

is maximum difficulty fun or just aggravating?
i really love this game and want to replay it with more challenge but i dont play video games for a boring frustrating time

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Thunder Moose posted:

I am finding that at around level 22 or so - leveling becomes a real pain as most of the quests are well below the level-threshold to earn XP... Puzzling.

Just go travelling and exploring areas. There are a whole bunch of lvl 20-30 contracts all over the place.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Thunder Moose posted:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You are 22? Don't look at what level you are it literally doesn't matter any more.

Agreed, other than gear unlocks levels are not very exciting. Past 20 you get an ability slot ever 4 levels and as Thunder Moose notes, XP gain outside of the main quest is really slow.

The level progression is just weird in this game. Going to the Isle of the Mists and followup main quests will dump literally 4-5 levels of XP on you for a couple hours of gameplay and isn't even the end game yet, there's still a good bit to go after that.

The game is a tease in giving you access to the Mastercrafted gear and leaving breadcrumbs for the master smith quest, but realistically you're not going to hit level 30/31 until pretty close to the end of the main plot and having done a lot of side content. Those are end-game sets.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Blue Raider posted:

i really love this game and want to replay it with more challenge but i dont play video games for a boring frustrating time

It's totally fine, if you've already beaten it you've probably picked up enough combat to cruise through. Just prep for your fights beforehand (oils, potions, whatever) and learn to dodge well, because a pack of random bandits can still surround and crush you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blue Raider posted:

From my small excursion to the hardest difficulty I found it too frustrating to be fun, but the second hardest is definitely worth a try because it requires you to make sure you're prepared for stuff at any given time. Just jumping headfirst into a fight will get you killed even easier than on the normal difficulty. It also sort of enforces the leveling because you can no longer brute force enemies that are red-number-levels above you by just ducking and weaving and getting in one hit at a time for half an hour or whathaveyou.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Blue Raider posted:

Pretty much what Phyrexian said I think, if you enjoy the combat then by all means crank the difficulty to max. Using all your Witcher tools and having played the game once it won't necessarily be hard but it will require your attention and some effort. Small mistakes really hurt on higher difficulties.

I started on BBB and bumped it up to Death March at about level 16 because I broke the game with Signs build.

Edit: but if you find the combat frustrating it's simply much less forgiving on higher difficulties and will only make you annoyed.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
What are the other outcomes of the Carnal Sins quest? I got the right guy in the end but I presume you can fail it?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

alright cool, thanks guys

i played through on normal to enjoy the story and i never had much of an issue with anything within reason. i also did the whole pre battle prep just out of fun, so im not new to that.

i didnt find combat frustrating but it wasnt smooth either. look at it this way: i rolled laterally a lot

idk i might just let the game marinate for a while and hit it up when the first major dlc comes out

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gridlocked posted:

So I think I may have found a bug and I wanna know if there's a way to fix it. It's with the availability of a quest. Gonna spoiler tag it for people who don't wanna see things but I will say now it's in Valen and isn't part of the main story.

What happened:
I was doing the quest from the Quartermaster near the Pontar Crossing to get a pass and was riding towards the quest zone (where you encounter the two Aghuls). On my way past I saw a house alone (on the map of Valen it's the house to the north-east of the Inn At The Crossroads, over the bridge) with a exclamation mark on it and a Rabid Dog outside. I killed the dog and looked around with wither vision seeing there was a red highlighted piece of meat which upon interaction Geralt said something about "Eating dog, must be hungry". However I decided not to go into the house but rather finish the quest I was currently on. I came back the the house after finish the quest, I can't remember if I save/loaded between that, and the exclamation mark was gone; the door on the house isn't listed as locked but won't open, the wild dog is gone and the red highlighted meat isn't highlighted or interact-able anymore.

Is this a bug? If so any suggestions on fixing it? If not can someone tell me what I missed out on and if it has repercussions down the line?

There are some quests that you have to act on immediately or they just go away. It's always something small like that or finding an abandoned cart in the woods or some people having an argument in the middle of a village etc etc. Don't sweat it unless you're some sort of insane completionist.

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010
I've had this broken quest for a week or so now and it's kind of annoying. Contract: The Apiarian Phantom I'm at the point to open the door and nothing happens, I can't interact with the door and the dude who is supposed to give the key doesn't do poo poo. Bombs, punching, the telekinetic sign or hacking with the sword don't do anything. Only a few people have mentioned it online and I've tried everything they said to do to get it unstuck but nothing works.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Kubricize posted:

I've had this broken quest for a week or so now and it's kind of annoying. Contract: The Apiarian Phantom I'm at the point to open the door and nothing happens, I can't interact with the door and the dude who is supposed to give the key doesn't do poo poo. Bombs, punching, the telekinetic sign or hacking with the sword don't do anything. Only a few people have mentioned it online and I've tried everything they said to do to get it unstuck but nothing works.

That's one with the halfling beekeepers, right? Did you try interacting with the door? I think I had to and when it said it was locked the guy showed up behind me to give me the key. If that doesn't work, then you might be hosed.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Begemot posted:

There are some quests that you have to act on immediately or they just go away. It's always something small like that or finding an abandoned cart in the woods or some people having an argument in the middle of a village etc etc. Don't sweat it unless you're some sort of insane completionist.

Yeah there are a lot of small "event" quests that will just pop as the result of you overhearing a conversation. Most of them are really short dialogue bits that reward 5-10 XP, they're world-building and flavor.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012

Meiteron posted:

You can't start dropping links to the Witcher OST and not link to River of Life, c'mon now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKv0rtgI7mw

I'll agree that Witcher 2's OST is kind of forgettable, although their best tracks (the title theme and the sorceress theme) are pretty good, good enough to get remixes in 3 when appropriate.

I do like 3's OST a lot, enough that I'm a bit annoyed some of the more critical pieces aren't on the soundtrack they released, most notably something playing over a cutscene on the Isle of Mists which I hardly need to elaborate if you've seen it. The remix of Assassins of Kings is also really good.

Oh man the nostalgia! Love that track. I've enjoyed all the soundtracks though, but there were some particularly good ones on W1.

edit: always loved this one for it's creepiness factor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5tf0x0jazI

Crappers fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 9, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Oh boy this game is a piece of poo poo. Whoever programmed controls, ledges that can be interacted with, and the camera, is a retarded loving rear end in a top hat. On the way up to some stupid castle ruins to get the diagrams for the Ursine armor set, you're to navigate narrow ledges, crumbling bridges, and make sprinting jumps. All this while being engaged in combat with harpys and sirens. There's nothing like making a jump then being engaged by a harpy and switching to the awful combat mode and having Geralt do a flip kick off the bridge into a precipice. Unless you want to dodge off a crumbling ledge onto jagged rocks below, make sure you fight with your back pinned to a wall, Aard the fuckers down, and hope the buggy insta-kill will work when they're on their backs. Then, once that's all over, you're to do some standing jumps onto what should be white painted ledges that you can jump up to. Only you can't, because they're bugged, because this game, while being very pretty and having a few well written quests, is barely functional and problematic poo poo heap. I tried everything I could to jump up this ledge, and it was only with the uphill rolling bug that I was able to get up there after 10 minutes of fuckery.

For those that don't know, you can sometimes exploit the extremely lovely control mechanics by rolling uphills by spamming the jump button while sliding. If it wasn't for that I couldn't have got up there. Finally, on my way out of the castle and down to the neighboring village the camera bugged out. It was stuck in this extreme close up of Geralts face, almost to the point of a first person view. This rendered all interactable objects and NPCs uninteractable. I couldn't activate fast travel signs or talk to quest givers. I had to reload a previous save that had me half way up the narrow Bridge of lovely Controls, and do that all over. The last 40 minutes have been an exercise in frustration and a showcase at the programming ineptitude that is CDPR.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 9, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Begemot posted:

Thanks I found a site to check it out, it wasn't anything major anyway.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Blue Raider posted:

Started a second playthrough on Death March after doing my first playthrough on BSM or whatever the second one is. Because I know where the attack and dodge buttons are now it's not really different. Ghouls suck. I wanted to focus on sidequests this time and ignore the main quest for as long as possible, but that is proving really difficult because I get a whopping 60xp for a quest that is recommended to 2-3 levels above mine (costs around 1000xp to level even at L4-5). For whatever reason they want you to play through the main quest first or something...don't know what the deal is. But anyway that is a separate issue from the difficulty.

I am doing a pure alchemy build this time and I already have 2 maxed green skills and one halfway (make sure to get all the places of power in the tutorial area) and it's not too bad. I also turned off the enemy and boss health bars and I like it a lot more that way. I just judge whether or not I can beat something by how much health it takes when/if it hits me. I don't think you can parry with the bars turned off because you won't see the flash, but I never learned how to parry in this game anyway. Just dodge and bonk.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Oh boy this game is a piece of poo poo. Whoever programmed controls, ledges that can be interacted with, and the camera, is a retarded loving rear end in a top hat. On the way up to some stupid castle ruins to get the diagrams for the Ursine armor set, you're to navigate narrow ledges, crumbling bridges, and make sprinting jumps. All this while being engaged in combat with harpys and sirens. There's nothing like making a jump then being engaged by a harpy and switching to the awful combat mode and having Geralt do a flip kick off the bridge into a precipice. Unless you want to dodge off a crumbling ledge onto jagged rocks below, make sure you fight with your back pinned to a wall, Aard the fuckers down, and hope the buggy insta-kill will work when they're on their backs. Then, once that's all over, you're to do some standing jumps onto what should be white painted ledges that you can jump up to. Only you can't, because they're bugged, because this game, while being very pretty and having a few well written quests, is barely functional and problematic poo poo heap. I tried everything I could to jump up this ledge, and it was only with the uphill rolling bug that I was able to get up there after 10 minutes of fuckery.

For those that don't know, you can sometimes exploit the extremely lovely control mechanics by rolling uphills by spamming the jump button while sliding. If it wasn't for that I couldn't have got up there. Finally, on my way out of the castle and down to the neighboring village the camera bugged out. It was stuck in this extreme close up of Geralts face, almost to the point of a first person view. This rendered all interactable objects and NPCs uninteractable. I couldn't activate fast travel signs or talk to quest givers. I had to reload a previous save that had me half way up the narrow Bridge of lovely Controls, and do that all over. The last 40 minutes have been an exercise in frustration and a showcase at the programming ineptitude that is CDPR.

I dunno if it's really that bad but I do agree that the platforming and general overworld-to-combat control switch both suck pretty hard. It especially sucks because they give you the option to re-sheathe your sword... but Geralt automatically pulls it right back out when you're in combat, so the button does nothing useful. So whenever you're in combat you're stuck in that mode and can't go back to the overworld control scheme even if you decide to run away.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

What are the other outcomes of the Carnal Sins quest? I got the right guy in the end but I presume you can fail it?

I don't really know the answer to this, but I went back much later and checked the brothel where you find the dude torturing sweet nettie and the dude was still there torturing her in the chair. It was also too late to save her since the game told me that "the target can't be attacked". I guess she just gets tortured in perpetuity... :(

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
After playing Ultima Online I completely 100% understand Geralt's apprehension about unknown portals with only the mage's word as to where they actually go.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I don't really know the answer to this, but I went back much later and checked the brothel where you find the dude torturing sweet nettie and the dude was still there torturing her in the chair. It was also too late to save her since the game told me that "the target can't be attacked". I guess she just gets tortured in perpetuity... :(

I did the quest correctly but I'm still finding tonnes of "Concerned citizens sermons" lying around everywhere.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kubricize posted:

I had to reload a save game to get this to work, I think it helped that in the second time I went around the front of the construction site and looted all of the booze that I knew was in all the barrels and then went down the stairs. The halfling dude appeared on the top of the stairs and told me about how they were building this for their granddad and then ran out of money. Make sure after the thing that runs out runs out that you chase that motherfucker down for all your worth, because it got away from me and I failed the quest the first time I tried it. Don't worry about swinging your sword at it, I tried but didn't hit it once, and ended up "running it down" in an empty field about half a mile away to fight it. Fight wasn't too bad, iirc it's weak against Axii.

Moridin920 posted:

After playing Ultima Online I completely 100% understand Geralt's apprehension about unknown portals with only the mage's word as to where they actually go.

Also World of Warcraft where some bastard mage at the end of a raid will layer five different portals on top of each other and you end up in Shattrath instead of somewhere useful :argh:

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I need to find out what command spawns the key for the Person in Distress that is inside a bandit camp in the middle of a large-ish island with nothing else in Velen. Only land route to it involves the bandits who actually recognize you're a witcher and back down if you point it out in a talk. Killed everybody there but the leader didn't drop the key. Went back to a save where I just discovered the signpost next to the camp and came back a couple hours later and still no drop. Bandits don't seem to respawn as well so that guy is stuck in the cage forever now.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
HOLY CRAP TROLLS ARE JAMAICANS.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I wonder if the mod tools for this game are gonna allow for total conversions. That would be cool imo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ShadowMar posted:

I wonder if the mod tools for this game are gonna allow for total conversions. That would be cool imo.

RedKit definitely allowed for TC mods of Witcher 2, so all signs point to yes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

Making a game where you have to stay on your toes even after you learned every kink of the combat system is hard as hell. I think it's almost impossible without human opponents. Plus, you'd have to focus so much on the combat system that you'd probably end up accidentally making a character action game. At the end of the day, RPG fans usually value writing above combat. I don't think I've seen a game with writing as good as W3 with anything but generic RPG combat.

I also think the game would benefit from a flatter progression model, since the skill slot system locks down power creep pretty hard. Making skills available 10-15 levels earlier wouldn't really make the PC too powerful as long as the skill slots don't unlock any faster. That said, it's pretty flattering that Witcher 3 combat is being compared to Dark Souls or Arkham City, since for an open-world RPG to have a combat system on the level of the best action-RPGs in recent memory is unprecedented as far as I know.

Broken Cog posted:

But seriously, I felt a bit sympathetic for him when he explained how he became a Witcher, and why he hated the guy who "Recruited" him. A good story to show why Witchers are often resented by a lot of people.

This game is so good about showing instead of telling. For example: why don't the Witcher schools train new Witchers? The game never really tells you, until you go to Kaer Morhen and the Witchers tell their stories of miserable, lonely lives, boys they knew who died in the training, and then witness the torture table and administer the Decoction of the Grasses to a little screaming, writhing body as all the Witchers in the room visibly respond with disgust and sadness. The character animation in that scene really sells how the Witchers feel about taking in new recruits: Vesemir turns away, Lambert stomps off, Eskel slinks away while no one is watching and Geralt looks horrified.

Also about Lambert I'm really glad I stopped him from killing that Witcher who married and adopted some kids, even if he was a scummy bastard, because it turns out Lambert is turning into the angry drunk of a father that he hated and was acting out that psychodrama instead of thinking about the situation rationally.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 9, 2015

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The only thing I've noticed coming up to Death March from Normal is that arrows eat through Quen. Oh, and a random Water Hag dropped 90% of a life bar with one swipe, but none others have.

I like it, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it not being everyone's bag.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

isk posted:

The only thing I've noticed coming up to Death March from Normal is that arrows eat through Quen. Oh, and a random Water Hag dropped 90% of a life bar with one swipe, but none others have.

I like it, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it not being everyone's bag.

Did it hit you in the back? Geralt takes like retarded amounts of increased damage from behind on higher difficulties.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

CJacobs posted:

I dunno if it's really that bad but I do agree that the platforming and general overworld-to-combat control switch both suck pretty hard. It especially sucks because they give you the option to re-sheathe your sword... but Geralt automatically pulls it right back out when you're in combat, so the button does nothing useful. So whenever you're in combat you're stuck in that mode and can't go back to the overworld control scheme even if you decide to run away.

If I sheathe my swords in combat, Geralt puts his dukes up. Yep. I'm gonna punch this Siren to death.

Gridlocked posted:

HOLY CRAP TROLLS ARE JAMAICANS.

There ya go Tumblr, there's your colored folk in The Witcher 3.

isk posted:

If the only thing the difficulty slider does is make level 2 bandits damage sponges that hit like max level earth elementals, all without granting an appreciable bonus in XP granted, then gently caress it. It's garbage if it's like Skyrim or any Bethesda game that does that.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 9, 2015

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Finally finished the game for the first time. Other than the last act being so much teleporting around to say 3 things to people then on to the next person for hours... pretty crazy great game. On my ending I'm happy pretty much everything went swimmingly. I killed Radovid earlier, stuck with Roche to get the emperor to bugger off from Temeria and that plan worked out, Ciri lived and became my apprentice, and I got to retire with Triss. Although looking up how some parts of the ending work is a little shocking because it's possible to get a hosed ending and not have any clue what things were setting that up. Fortunately just going with treating Ciri like she's your daughter and you're fun dad, gently caress everything else strategy worked good for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Jesus, Triss in (Count Reuven's Treasury spoilers) Menge's office if you let her get tortured is just so brutal. Goddamn. And letting herself go through that for Geralt/Ciri and the other Novigrad mages is pretty hardcore too. Goddamn champ