Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I also like Mythos in Islands of Adventure. It's basically one of two sit down places in the park, but it's really good cheap sit down food.

Mythos is legit as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
The stage is there every year. It just used to be like twenty feet forward. It goes up for Star Wars and frozen summer fun and goes down until the company anniversary shindig and New Year's Eve.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I think it is only for SWW and the special events during the summer season don't grab pitchforks and torches yet people.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

tomapot posted:

So they tore down the hat to put up a stage?

I wish Disney would just close down Hollywood Studios for 18-24 months and just give the park a huge overhaul like they did to California Adventure. The park is in serious need of love, proper theming, and direction.

I'd rather have the stupid hat than the stage. At least with the Hat you knew where you were if you got lost.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
I was never a fan of the hat, or Hollywood Studios for that matter. Any time we go it's Tower of Terror, Rock n Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, back on the boat to Epcot.

I'd be really surprised if the SWW weren't a test bed for an expansion into Studios along with Marvel (once everything is sorted with Universal). But, with rumors of an entirely new park who knows? Seems like Disney has a habit of doing things that make little sense to us that then effectively give them a license to print money.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Do people shuttle from Disney to Universal? Or just Uber?

I was planning to just Uber, but now Im torn

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Uber is too new.. it has always been shuttle, rental or god forbid a taxi cab.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Shuttle is the way to go. With the ticket package I sell, you get roundtrip shuttle for $20 per person. It's $40 for a cab one way.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yep, and there are no lack of shuttles in Orlando let me tell you.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I usually use Uber to get to Universal. From where I was in the Disney Housing, it would cost about 12 dollars to get to Universal. Which ain't bad at all.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Yeah and my concern is that as the party size grows, the shuttles will add up. Whereas a cab/uber is just one price
Right now only a friend and I are confirmed for the trip, but it will likely double by the time December rolls around.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Limo service which is essentially a 14 passenger van you can haggle with and get a good price. Especially when they have the chance to become a repeat call back when you want to go somewhere again during your trip. Granted you can't say I'll give you ten dollars for 8 people to drive 20 miles. In my experience you can get a good deal from them if you say "how much for round trip if we call you back?" and "give me a break and we might be calling you again during our stay."

I have a guy we call when we need service to the airport or when we go downtown and don't want to drive home after drinking. I can get you his information, he's not a convicted serial killer that I know of.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Man just got back from an awesome day at Animal kingdom. Saw the new baby rhino, 3 baby gorillas, all 3 Lions, like 7 or 8 elephants, giraffes, and the cheetahs. Don't think we've ever seen that many animals on the safari before. Took the train to play with some goats and then on the way home we stopped at Columbia for lunch and their amazing 1905 salad. Pretty great day.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like a good day. We have not been to AK in a couple of months and due to go again; most of our visits the last few weeks have been to MK or HS for Star Wars. Headed out for a 7:45 dinner reservation at BOG as a late happy birthday dinner for my wife. She's been wanting to go there since it opened for dinner... I really hope it lives up to her expectation.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'm at DHS right now and I think I like the park better as it is now. Actually, this has been my favorite iteration of Star Wars Weekend since I went for the first time in 2013.

Although I missed out on the Passholder event pin. Totally sold out...

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
The park has an excellent energy during Star Wars Weekends. The park was SLAMMED last Saturday, Coaster was down, Star Tours had a 60 minute wait, Tower of Terror had a 150 minute wait most of the afternoon, and yet, people didn't seem to care because there was so much to do and see. The shows were fun, the characters were out, and everyone just seemed to be having a good old fashioned "good time"

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 7, 2015

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
That's basically what I've seen all day today. Although the characters just milling around near the old Backlot Tour entrance is the best thing. However, sad I couldn't catch up with the Jawa trading junk with people.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
We were at DHS must of the day, came home to shower and headed to MK for dinner. Afterwards we ride HM and watched the fireworks. Let me tell you never in the 20 plus years I have been going to the theme parks have I ever seen the absolute dump of a condition it was in today. I can't begin to quantify how bad it really was but there was garbage everywhere.. people were throwing water bottles and every manner of trash including partiality eaten sandwiches everywhere. We saw someones tray of did from somewhere dumped into a flower planter, a diaper in a bush and someone took the garbage out of the trash receptacle and it was strewn on the street.. it was disgusting. My wife and I sincerely felt bad for the guys and gals trying to clean because where do you start when it seems like a bomb went off.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
One scoop at a time, man.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Braksgirl posted:

Shuttle is the way to go. With the ticket package I sell, you get roundtrip shuttle for $20 per person. It's $40 for a cab one way.

Note: For a family of 4, a taxi with a demon behind the wheel is pretty even money with a shuttle with the added bonus of convenience/time saved. I don't think I'll ever Mears shuttle to Universal again; it was a taxi, but at the same time it was glorious.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

demonR6 posted:

We were at DHS must of the day, came home to shower and headed to MK for dinner. Afterwards we ride HM and watched the fireworks. Let me tell you never in the 20 plus years I have been going to the theme parks have I ever seen the absolute dump of a condition it was in today. I can't begin to quantify how bad it really was but there was garbage everywhere.. people were throwing water bottles and every manner of trash including partiality eaten sandwiches everywhere. We saw someones tray of did from somewhere dumped into a flower planter, a diaper in a bush and someone took the garbage out of the trash receptacle and it was strewn on the street.. it was disgusting. My wife and I sincerely felt bad for the guys and gals trying to clean because where do you start when it seems like a bomb went off.

This makes me so mad. I really hate people.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
We were still talking about it this morning on the tram ride over to HS with some guests who were there yestrrday as well. Problem is they are 1st timers and it has already left a bad impression on the family. We assured them this was not normal but the damage is done sadly.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I like to think secret Disney police found those responsible and made them disappear.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

demonR6 posted:

Was it just extra tense/disgruntled over the Pride Day taking place at the park?

I let my wife read your description, and she said she went to MK on a Pride Day once about 7 or 8 years ago and the overall crowd on that given day was just extra tense and rude, and just disrespected the park pretty badly and led to the state of the place like what you saw. According to her, there was a weird contingent of LGBT folks who were acting rudely and entitled about everything on their day, while the "on the once in a lifetime trip" crowd was super annoyed at the fact there was a Pride Day on their one time ever in the park.

Either way, I can't stand it when anyone trashes the place or disrespects the place like that.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
We got there later in the afternoon and other than what we experienced on the way to BOG.. I would say no. Now we did have a table next to us that was all guys who were obviously there for GD and they were really rude to the girl who sat them and had an overall lovely attitude from the second they sat down. They gave the waitress poo poo every time she came to the table and had comments about everything that were just negative. The park was probably 30/70 by that hour with people there for GD. I cannot honestly say if that was it, hope not but then again never have seen it like that at the end of the day during a GD event. It was sad.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Where's the best place in HS to view the Star Wars fireworks?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I like the area by the Prime Time cafe.. with a bar right next door for added convenience.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

demonR6 posted:

I like the area by the Prime Time cafe.. with a bar right next door for added convenience.

Amen to that. Also gives you a little more distance so you see the shadow of the Chinese Theater in the blasts.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Standing in front of the ABC theater, pretty good view of the skyline behind the Chinese theater so should be good.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

demonR6 posted:

We got there later in the afternoon and other than what we experienced on the way to BOG.. I would say no. Now we did have a table next to us that was all guys who were obviously there for GD and they were really rude to the girl who sat them and had an overall lovely attitude from the second they sat down. They gave the waitress poo poo every time she came to the table and had comments about everything that were just negative. The park was probably 30/70 by that hour with people there for GD. I cannot honestly say if that was it, hope not but then again never have seen it like that at the end of the day during a GD event. It was sad.

I've been during Gay Days before and I don't remember seeing anything like that. Definitely not the trash and no more rudeness than usual.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Braksgirl posted:

I've been during Gay Days before and I don't remember seeing anything like that. Definitely not the trash and no more rudeness than usual.

Same here, but it was at Disneyland. The worst I've seen any of the parks was when DL was shut down for a private Microsoft party. Lots of trash piled up and empties everywhere. DL Paris was a bit messy by Disney standards when we were there years ago, but that might just be the norm. I'm used to the WDW level of cleanliness.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

tomapot posted:

Same here, but it was at Disneyland. The worst I've seen any of the parks was when DL was shut down for a private Microsoft party. Lots of trash piled up and empties everywhere. DL Paris was a bit messy by Disney standards when we were there years ago, but that might just be the norm. I'm used to the WDW level of cleanliness.

I visited DL Paris last year, it's like the company opened it and then forgot about it. I liked some parts of that, especially the focus on the movies and characters from my childhood instead of Frozen and Cars, but they clearly don't watch over DLP staff the way they do on home territory. There was trash, and it just wasn't as seamless as what I'm used to at Disneyland, you could see the back of things and their mechanical components clear as day. It was cool and I'd totally go back, though, and they had some really great food. Plus they have smoking areas but the customers and staff give NO fucks, I have a picture of me with a cigarette in front of the castle. I would never dare to do that at the US parks, I'd have cast members up my butt before I could flick my lighter.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's not a Disney Paris thing, that's a France thing. France is kinda dirty.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
Our Disney trip is going great so far! Two days left, tomorrow is Hollywood Studios. We are going to try to book Jedi Academy for the kids. Any tips on booking it? I was going to leave my resort (Coronado) at like 7:30ish? Or is that too early?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They've expanded it a lot by adding Darth Maul, so you should be fine if you're there around the opening. I'm surprised it's not a fast pass/reservation system by now.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

Bottom Liner posted:

They've expanded it a lot by adding Darth Maul, so you should be fine if you're there around the opening. I'm surprised it's not a fast pass/reservation system by now.
I was hoping it would be! So you think be there at 8:45am for a 9am park opening?

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Uziel posted:

I was hoping it would be! So you think be there at 8:45am for a 9am park opening?

I believe they start letting people in around 8:45/8:50, so maybe closer to 8:20 so you're closer to the front.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Thanks to WDW Magic, I've learned that there are people in this world that actually LIKE Universe of Energy at Epcot. That ride is terrible unless you're specifically looking for a 30 minute nap.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Doronin posted:

Thanks to WDW Magic, I've learned that there are people in this world that actually LIKE Universe of Energy at Epcot. That ride is terrible unless you're specifically looking for a 30 minute nap.

I'm going to commit Disney blasphemy here, but Disney needs to abandon the concept of Future World at Epcot having anything to do with technology.

Universe of Energy is incredibly out-dated because technological advances in energy production have made it out-dated. And updating them just kicks that can down the road like 10 years or less. If they're not committed to updating things related to technological advancement in a rapid fashion they should just avoid it all together.

Hopefully with the death of Innoventions they're slowly moving towards that. Either keep up with technology, or stick with timeless messages. But don't half rear end it and talk about 20 year old technology.

Edit: Since I'm already on the Blasphemy Train: I'm super excited about the Frozen Ride and princess meeting area being built in the Norway pavilion.

Happitoo fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I've talked about it before and those are my feelings on it too. Loved, loved ,loved all the tech stuff as a kid but the speed at which everything evolves and develops now makes it hard to do interesting exhibits. Tech poo poo isn't particularly exciting anymore because everyone has flat panel TVs and phones and tablets that do as much as a PC. For $300~ you can go out and get a gaming console that functions as an entire entertainment hub. I mean, if they want to go the Horizon's route and do batshit "in the far future" stuff, that'd be cool but that entire side of the park has three things going for it- Spaceship Earth (after being on it when it breaks down and hearing how often it happens, needs to be replaced), Test Track (I don't care for the remodel of it at all) and making people drink Beverly at the Coca Cola place. I love Epcot but drat, it needs some help.