Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Most aura aren't particularly that good, especially since Heroic isn't a thing anymore to take advantage of them. RIP Skyguard and Hero of Iroas wombo combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I don't think this card was posted earlier (and I don't recall it being in the sample deck article earlier, but it's there now)

Probably not unplayable if not particularly good

It looks pretty good for limited if the low drop support exists in B/x. I mean if I can play a 2/1 downside black dude t1 and throw this on it on turn 2 I would be pretty happy with the effect at common.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

It cycles itself in most cases, so it mitigates the worst part about playing auras.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

I don't think this card was posted earlier (and I don't recall it being in the sample deck article earlier, but it's there now)

Yeah. This is playable. And I hate playing auras with a passion.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

mcmagic posted:

Yeah. This is playable. And I hate playing auras with a passion.

If it was an instant I'd play the poo poo out of it; trade AND cycle my trick. As a Aura isn't not awful though I don't think you'd want more then 2 in any given limited deck.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
It goes in the RB Menace deck and it's gonna be as annoying as Madcap Skills

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

That card is probably playable in some decks but it should in no way be compared to Madcap Skills

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

That card is probably playable in some decks but it should in no way be compared to Madcap Skills

I can't wait for them to reprint Madcap Skills showing off its new wording :getin:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Will they actually errata cards like Goblin War Drums to say "creatures you control have Menace"? That will slightly change how those cards work with spells that remove abilities from creatures.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Unless they intend to reprint it, I don't see why they would. If it ain't broke...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Well I know when they invented Hexproof they went back and errattaed Thrun & co to have it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rinkles posted:

I like it; as others have mentioned it helps replace itself and the bonus is not nothing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I have come to the conclusion that I am horrible at judging cards in this game. Probably still that Yu-Gi-Oh mindset.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

If it makes you feel any better everyone in this thread and even the best players in the world all have a really bad track record when it comes to figuring out if a card turns out being "good" or not.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Entropic posted:

Will they actually errata cards like Goblin War Drums to say "creatures you control have Menace"? That will slightly change how those cards work with spells that remove abilities from creatures.

I am pretty sure they won't errata it if it would have any gameplay change at all, for example, they didn't errata lifelink onto creatures that had the gain life on damage trigger, since lifelink isn't a triggered ability.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ShadeofBlue posted:

I am pretty sure they won't errata it if it would have any gameplay change at all, for example, they didn't errata lifelink onto creatures that had the gain life on damage trigger, since lifelink isn't a triggered ability.

lifelink was a bad example to pick because they did actually errata some cards to become lifelink and it changed their functionality
notably, uncommon superstar loxodon warhammer is stuck with the changed functionality because it got reprinted with text that says lifelink

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

RME posted:

lifelink was a bad example to pick because they did actually errata some cards to become lifelink and it changed their functionality
notably, uncommon superstar loxodon warhammer is stuck with the changed functionality because it got reprinted with text that says lifelink

Which is another interesting case, because for some cards they did a functional reprint rather than errata-ing to Lifelink, as they did with Armadillo Cloak and Unflinching Courage. Now you can get both on a single creature and gain twice as much life as the damage it deals!

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Seems pretty good for limited, I just wonder why they didn't put any toughness on it because iirc MaRo said they're trying to expand black's color pie to include big butts on their dudes.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

poorlywrittennovel posted:

Seems pretty good for limited, I just wonder why they didn't put any toughness on it because iirc MaRo said they're trying to expand black's color pie to include big butts on their dudes.
Because it's a skullclamp-esque effect and increasing toughness would go against the 'theme' of the card?

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Jonked posted:

Because it's a skullclamp-esque effect and increasing toughness would go against the 'theme' of the card?

Skullclamp is also considered one of the most busted cards they've ever printed, and by making it a +2/+1 it's basically a slightly better Unholy Strength because it replaces itself?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Skullclamp was originally supposed to give +1/+1, but they changed it to +1/-1 as a "drawback" that accidentally made the card much better.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Balon posted:

Skullclamp was originally supposed to give +1/+1, but they changed it to +1/-1 as a "drawback" that accidentally made the card much better.

Due to being able to kill 1 toughness enemies? giving you a.... two for one effect?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

They should print an aura version of skullclamp

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Onmi posted:

Due to being able to kill 1 toughness enemies? giving you a.... two for one effect?

No, you make a ton of 1/1 dudes and pop them yourself for massive card advantage.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Onmi posted:

Because you can totally equip enemy creatures? (you can't)

No, by letting you instantly kill your own X/1s for 2 cards without needing combat or sac outlets.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Onmi posted:

Slow down tiger, you can only equip creatures you control.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

poorlywrittennovel posted:

No, you make a ton of 1/1 dudes and pop them yourself for massive card advantage.

Balon posted:

Because you can totally equip enemy creatures? (you can't)

No, by letting you instantly kill your own X/1s for 2 cards without needing combat or sac outlets.

Sorry I just saw it was Equip and not an Aura.

Yeah Scarring seems more like an intended Skullclamp card.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

They should print an aura version of skullclamp

Why not, they made an instant version.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

RME posted:

Yah you're totally right :(.

EDIT: In my defense, I believe that consider that a mistake.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Gonna laugh when the "one card with protection" is Baneslayer Angel.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

I would be okay with this.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Is Baneslayer not rocking?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Onmi posted:

Is Baneslayer not rocking?

Baneslayer is a very good card(not great, but very good), but not because of the protection abilities, which are usually marginal at best.

Ironically they're almost relevant in current standard except not really because baneslayer beats all the dragons in a fight anyway(except atarka I guess, and it can't be stolen by old silumgar or blocked by young silumgar so I guess it actually is relevant).

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah Baneslayer would poo poo on our new dragon overlords. Hell, it even beats Rhinos.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

Baneslayer is a very good card(not great, but very good), but not because of the protection abilities, which are usually marginal at best.

Ironically they're almost relevant in current standard except not really because baneslayer beats all the dragons in a fight anyway(except atarka I guess, and it can't be stolen by old silumgar or blocked by young silumgar so I guess it actually is relevant).

It and Stormbreath can fight to a stalemate since they each have protection from the other.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Balon posted:

Which is another interesting case, because for some cards they did a functional reprint rather than errata-ing to Lifelink, as they did with Armadillo Cloak and Unflinching Courage. Now you can get both on a single creature and gain twice as much life as the damage it deals!

they never reprinted armadillo cloak during the functional errata phase, so they were actually able to revert it
loxodon warhammer got reprinted with the word "lifelink" on it so it was committed

ShadeofBlue posted:

Yah you're totally right :(.

EDIT: In my defense, I believe that consider that a mistake.

they do consider it a mistake and its part of why they avoid functional errata unless they have to (like all 'is indestructible' cards now just have indestructible when they changed that0

RME fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 9, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

It and Stormbreath can fight to a stalemate since they each have protection from the other.

Baneslayer wins that one thanks to lifelink.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Baneslayer wins that one thanks to lifelink.

Baneslayer deals 0 damage to Stormbreath

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

In what situation do they actually get into combat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

They can't block each other.

• Locked thread