Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

one thing is clear, it is nice that people make games that pander to the cognitively challenged like MisterBibs, we should all be ashamed of how ableist we are with our reading comprehension and analysis of basic game mechanics

Please stop constantly offering commentary on specific posters. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
New page... new page never changes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

achillesforever6 posted:

One of favorite surprises in NV was finding out that there was a fairly extensive sewer system with people from around the slums of New Vegas living down there.

It was actually one of the least interesting, underdeveloped areas of the game, the Thorn notwithstanding.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Wilks Checkov posted:

Looking forward to the game, hope it takes the quality of story-line from Fallout 3 and adds it with the length of Fallout New Vegas's story-line. Should be interesting to see the new mechanics and modification systems that they have added as well. Game is on the top of my list for "CAN NOT loving WAIT FOR RELEASE", I wanna play now, but with all good things we must be patient. Will be happy to see a little game-play during this years E3. Should give us a small sneak peak at what to expect.

Are you seriously holding up Fallout 3's main plot as a good high quality story?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Prior to the monopolization of sports games (Madden, NBA2k, Paintbrawl), there existed a glut of "samey" athletic games that rapidly exhausted consumers. Enter 1993's "Mutant League Football", a game that sought to revitalize the market by replacing handsome men with skeletons and trolls.

In Fallout 4, the player will be tasked with assembling a "Super Mutant dream team" (albeit not comprised entirely of super mutants) for "the world's national post-apocalyptic pastime". Using skills like speech, barter, charisma, and strength, the player will be subjected to a bevvy of tests, challenges, and mini-quests in order to recruit individual players. For example, a high strength value will enable the player to defeat a super mutant at an arm wrestling contest; the defeated mutant will have no choice but to join his/her team. In another example, a high barter skill will allow the player to negotiate fair prices on slaves (which will help bulk up the team's numbers). But look out: If your luck's too low, you'll get stuck with somebody called "Byron", a wheezing dork who will inadvertently sabotage all of your efforts with slapstick and wacky jet-fueled antics.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 9, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rinkles posted:

It was actually one of the least interesting, underdeveloped areas of the game, the Thorn notwithstanding.
Yeah but after playing the game for years it was neat to find something new

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Prior to the monopolization of sports games (Madden, NBA2k, Paintbrawl), there existed a glut of "samey" athletic games that rapidly exhausted consumers. Enter 1993's "Mutant League Football", a game that sought to revitalize the market by replacing handsome men with skeletons and trolls.

In Fallout 4, the player will be tasked with assembling a "Super Mutant dream team" (albeit not comprised entirely of super mutants) for "the world's national post-apocalyptic pastime". Using skills like speech, barter, charisma, and strength, the player will be subjected to a bevvy of tests, challenges, and mini-quests in order to recruit individual players. For example, a high strength value will enable the player to defeat a super mutant at an arm wrestling contest; the defeated mutant will have no choice but to join his/her team. In another example, a high barter skill will allow the player to negotiate fair prices on slaves (which will help bulk up the team's numbers). But look out: If you're luck's too low, you'll get stuck with somebody called "Byron", a wheezing dork who will inadvertently sabotage all of your efforts with slapstick and wacky jet-fueled antics.

I want this to be real.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

One of favorite surprises in NV was finding out that there was a fairly extensive sewer system with people from around the slums of New Vegas living down there.

that place was huge and there was like 1 mission that went there. :sigh: westside was such a wasted opportunity. it was at least as big as freeside.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I want this to be real.

Don't get too excited, it would just be Blitzball all over again.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

we didn't start the blitzball

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Blitzball kicked rear end tho

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Westside exterior was so poorly designed. Along this massive barricade of condemned buildings and rubble, there are slightly different bits barricade that act as doors. Yes there are "entrance signs" (silhouette of a person in a yellow diamond shape), but if you don't realize their function they just look like trash stuck onto the barricade. The whole area is monotonous. Probably part of why so many people miss the Thorn on their first playthrough.

I will be so happy to say goodbye to artificially boxed up communities in FO4. (please no/much less cell loading, Beth)

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I will be so happy to say goodbye to artificially boxed up communities in FO4. (please no/much less cell loading, Beth)

On the one hand, gating cities behind a million loading screens is so disliked, and open-city mods so popular, that Bethesda would have to be completely retarded to go that route yet again.

On the other, it's Bethesda.

Edit; Oh wait, I just remembered that this is getting released for consoles, too. So yeah, loading screens galore it is.

VV: Yes, because they are good at programming. On the other hand, Bethesda is using the same programmers and the same engine, so there isn't much of a reason to be hopeful that they'll improve.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 9, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

On the one hand, gating cities behind a million loading screens is so disliked, and open-city mods so popular, that Bethesda would have to be completely retarded to go that route yet again.

On the other, it's Bethesda.

Edit; Oh wait, I just remembered that this is getting released for consoles, too. So yeah, loading screens galore it is.

Witcher 3 has very few loading screens.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
anything goes

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Rinkles posted:

The Westside exterior was so poorly designed. Along this massive barricade of condemned buildings and rubble, there are slightly different bits barricade that act as doors. Yes there are "entrance signs" (silhouette of a person in a yellow diamond shape), but if you don't realize their function they just look like trash stuck onto the barricade. The whole area is monotonous. Probably part of why so many people miss the Thorn on their first playthrough.

Weren't the walls and gates and what-all just Obsidian trying desperately to cope with the limitations of the Gamebryo engine?

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words
http://www.pcgamer.com/inxile-hopes-to-revive-van-buren-one-of-these-days/

Fallout 4? gently caress it. I want the proper Fallout 3 and there's a chance it will re-emerge as Van Buren.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Weren't the walls and gates and what-all just Obsidian trying desperately to cope with the limitations of the Gamebryo engine?

Yeah, but I don't think they made the right compromises to meet those limitations in the case of Westside. Other settlements managed to be more interesting than a set of repeating walls of garbage. Westside looks like a place the player (i.e., the person playing, not the character) is supposed to ignore.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Karmalis posted:

Fallout 4? gently caress it. I want the proper Fallout 3 and there's a chance it will re-emerge as Van Buren.

I thought we basically got Van Buren with New Vegas. Regardless, I don't think I want an offbrand Fallout.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

A combination of game engine & hardware limitation. The Bethesda-Gamebryo engine was not efficient when it came to stuff like having lots of NPCs walking around. It could handle an area like the entirety of Freeside, but not on the console hardware. To be fair, the engine would also have struggled on most PCs from 2010.
Skyrim's Creation Engine is actually way better at this. Well, was better before Bethesda screwed something up with how it handles memory in the last patch. Hopefully they'll have fixed that for FO4.

Mordaedil posted:

I thought we basically got Van Buren with New Vegas.
Kinda. Obsidian used some stuff from Van Buren as backstory (like the NCR - BoS war) or recycled certain ideas (like Joshua Graham).

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Mordaedil posted:

I thought we basically got Van Buren with New Vegas. Regardless, I don't think I want an offbrand Fallout.

Certain parts of VB became canon, like Denver and the Ciphers.

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

Mordaedil posted:

One way or the other it would need to be something completely different, otherwise FEV infected Bethesda lawyers would do a rush at inXile offices.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Volkerball posted:

that place was huge and there was like 1 mission that went there. :sigh: westside was such a wasted opportunity. it was at least as big as freeside.

Maybe. On the other hand, New Vegas was just a long series of disappointments and we should be thankful that they didn't shoehorn even more dumb fetch quests into that game just to further pad the length

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Karmalis posted:

InExile doesn't have the team to be able to do a good game till Bards Tale is finished in Oct 2017.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

1993's "Mutant League Football"

MLF and Pigskin Footbrawl were the 2 reasons I owned a Genesis.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

There is very little in Van Buren that also wasn't present in some form in New Vegas, or even some parts of Fallout 3 for that matter. Actually making Van Buren would be pointless because just like Fallout 3 felt like a retread of Fallout 1 and 2 ideas, Fallout: Van Buren would feel like a retread of Fallout 3 and New Vegas ideas. Even the villain wanting access to nukes thing was more or less done in Lonesome Road, the only difference is that you can stop all the nukes in Lonesome Road instead of being forced to pick and choose.

I want some new ideas for Fallout than retreads of more than decade old cancelled games.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Are you seriously holding up Fallout 3's main plot as a good high quality story?

I actually think it gets a lot more hate than it deserves. James was a pretty good character (for a computer game) all things considered, and at least adequately voice acted, regardless if you like the choice of Liam Neeson. My main criticism if any was that it was a bit too short (I think there's a speedrun of F3 that takes something like 11 minutes), but then I think I had a good 50 hours of exploring under my belt before I tried to finish the main quest (even Moira's quests would probably take at least 10 hours alone). So let me go through from memory what I perceived as some of the strengths and explain some of the weaknesses.

1) The inherent plot was quite compelling. You are searching for your Dad, ostensibly a good-guy but with a cold edge and some genuinely mysterious motivations (why did he abandon you? was it grief over Mommy, was it because of the subtle hints about him and Dr. Lee, was it because of the repressive Vault heirarchy or simple opportunism or was it to save the day for the wasteland inhabitants?) Either way, that's a more subtle character than most computer games manage, and the voice acting carried it very well imo. Plus that opening - that was one of the best openings to any game in recent memory, right up to the harshness of the first vista over the wasteland, and involved me emotionally.

2) He basically pisses off right at the start, relegating the protagonist to a comfortable secondary role in the narrative until the very conclusion. This actually takes a lot of the pressure off the player; they feel they have time to explore the world and do their own thing safe in the knowledge that Dad probably doesn't want to be found for the moment. This forms a kind of tacit approval for the player to ignore the main quest, which is totally fine and basically what should be encouraged in an open world game.

3) You are actually allowed to just stumble upon Dad at various places (Vault 112, Rivet City) without expecting it at all! This is great because it reinforces the causality of the plot, rather than locking the player out of certain areas until the game judges them 'ready' or they have been forced to experience the required amount of 'content' like most games would have done. It doesn't try to retroactively shove missed content down your throat and manages to remain consistent even if you never go near GNR or the DC ruins (the description of which successfully intimidated me for pretty much the entirety of my first playthrough, even if the reality turned out to be underwhelming)

4) Dad actually travels across a significant portion of the overworld, and you as the player are obliged to follow and fight along side him if you choose. That was a really ambitious and epic journey for me - a huge running battle across half the map. Pretty much the only way that this was feasible was to have James marked as essential, so I forgive the designers for that (I died many times and had to reload and rethink that whole previous quest to have enough supplies to survive the journey intact). It might have been cool to have him take a break at some strategic locations rather than simply bee-lining for Rivet City, but it was still fun and intense as hell and I awarded the game credit for its ambition.

5) Once you arrive there are several quests where you take direct instruction from Dad. Like the trip back to Rivet City this is important because it is a sort of emotional rapprochement between the player and Dad, before the inevitable tragic redemption.

Given that the main quest isn't really where most of the value of the game is to be found I think it did a pretty good job. I was way more disappointed when I finished all of Moira's great quests, and then she was the only NPC to offer anything like as many!!! I was psyched for numerous equivalent-length quest trees.

By comparison, the intrinsic motivation of the courier in NV was opaque right from the beginning, which didn't really serve to involve me emotionally at all. I never really was encouraged to become invested in the story, so I found it didn't really matter which 'faction' I supported. There were no sympathetic characters I can remember. This pretty much killed any enthusiasm for me right from the start. I did manage to have fun, but I didn't hang around once I had explored most areas.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 9, 2015

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

QuarkJets posted:

Maybe. On the other hand, New Vegas was just a long series of disappointments and we should be thankful that they didn't shoehorn even more dumb fetch quests into that game just to further pad the length

I've been playing it for a week now, and the MMO quest design is just boring. The dialogue is probably better than FO3, but I never cared about writing in that one to begin with.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Flaky posted:

My main criticism if any was that it was a bit too short (I think there's a speedrun of F3 that takes something like 11 minutes)

There's a speedrun that finishes Morrowind in less than four minutes. Speed run time is a bad metric.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Flaky posted:

By comparison, the intrinsic motivation of the courier in NV was opaque right from the beginning, which didn't really serve to involve me emotionally at all. I never really was encouraged to become invested in the story, so I found it didn't really matter which 'faction' I supported. There were no sympathetic characters I can remember. This pretty much killed any enthusiasm for me right from the start. I did manage to have fun, but I didn't hang around once I had explored most areas.

I felt the same way as you about New Vegas, actually. Knowing the main motivation from the start was what led me to skip most of the side quests and go straight through the main story on the first go, which left me a little dissatisfied when I completed the main story in just a few hours. I guess I may be in the minority in that I'd rather the main plot be a little obtuse and beckon me to do side quests, rather than the main quest being obvious and give me no reason to feel the side quests are important at all. FO3's aimlessness worked well in that respect. By the time I found my way around to the main story, I had numerous other side quests that I'd already begun and were in the proximity of.

Cue someone saying "well if you finish the main story only and skip the side quests, then you're playing Fallout wrong!"

Yeah yeah, I know. I'm just saying I'd rather stumble around in the dark for a while.

Also, other (bad) opinion: FO3's starting area and first cities you discover were 1000000% better and more interesting than New Vegas'.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Flaky posted:

I actually think it gets a lot more hate than it deserves. James was a pretty good character (for a computer game) all things considered, and at least adequately voice acted, regardless if you like the choice of Liam Neeson. My main criticism if any was that it was a bit too short (I think there's a speedrun of F3 that takes something like 11 minutes), but then I think I had a good 50 hours of exploring under my belt before I tried to finish the main quest (even Moira's quests would probably take at least 10 hours alone). So let me go through from memory what I perceived as some of the strengths and explain some of the weaknesses.

1) The inherent plot was quite compelling. You are searching for your Dad, ostensibly a good-guy but with a cold edge and some genuinely mysterious motivations (why did he abandon you? was it grief over Mommy, was it because of the subtle hints about him and Dr. Lee, was it because of the repressive Vault heirarchy or simple opportunism or was it to save the day for the wasteland inhabitants?) Either way, that's a more subtle character than most computer games manage, and the voice acting carried it very well imo. Plus that opening - that was one of the best openings to any game in recent memory, right up to the harshness of the first vista over the wasteland, and involved me emotionally.

2) He basically pisses off right at the start, relegating the protagonist to a comfortable secondary role in the narrative until the very conclusion. This actually takes a lot of the pressure off the player; they feel they have time to explore the world and do their own thing safe in the knowledge that Dad probably doesn't want to be found for the moment. This forms a kind of tacit approval for the player to ignore the main quest, which is totally fine and basically what should be encouraged in an open world game.

3) You are actually allowed to just stumble upon Dad at various places (Vault 112, Rivet City) without expecting it at all! This is great because it reinforces the causality of the plot, rather than locking the player out of certain areas until the game judges them 'ready' or they have been forced to experience the required amount of 'content' like most games would have done. It doesn't try to retroactively shove missed content down your throat and manages to remain consistent even if you never go near GNR or the DC ruins (the description of which successfully intimidated me for pretty much the entirety of my first playthrough, even if the reality turned out to be underwhelming)

4) Dad actually travels across a significant portion of the overworld, and you as the player are obliged to follow and fight along side him if you choose. That was a really ambitious and epic journey for me - a huge running battle across half the map. Pretty much the only way that this was feasible was to have James marked as essential, so I forgive the designers for that (I died many times and had to reload and rethink that whole previous quest to have enough supplies to survive the journey intact). It might have been cool to have him take a break at some strategic locations rather than simply bee-lining for Rivet City, but it was still fun and intense as hell and I awarded the game credit for its ambition.

5) Once you arrive there are several quests where you take direct instruction from Dad. Like the trip back to Rivet City this is important because it is a sort of emotional rapprochement between the player and Dad, before the inevitable tragic redemption.

Given that the main quest isn't really where most of the value of the game is to be found I think it did a pretty good job. I was way more disappointed when I finished all of Moira's great quests, and then she was the only NPC to offer anything like as many!!! I was psyched for numerous equivalent-length quest trees.

How can mans be so dumb bruv

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

New Vegas is cool and beautiful and has way better quest design. Pretend I posted beyond the beef dot jpeg

FillInTheBlank posted:

InExile doesn't have the team to be able to do a good game till Bards Tale is finished in Oct 2017.

Apparently they've got the rights to Meantime, a cancelled Interplay project that Fallout rose from the ashes of. Barring sequels to their successful kickstarters, I kinda think that's what they'll do next if only because it seems like something that's clean up on crowd funding.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I ultimately prefer NV as a game but the guy is right that the opening of Fallout 3 is better

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Gibberish posted:

I felt the same way as you about New Vegas, actually. Knowing the main motivation from the start was what led me to skip most of the side quests and go straight through the main story on the first go, which left me a little dissatisfied when I completed the main story in just a few hours. I guess I may be in the minority in that I'd rather the main plot be a little obtuse and beckon me to do side quests, rather than the main quest being obvious and give me no reason to feel the side quests are important at all. FO3's aimlessness worked well in that respect. By the time I found my way around to the main story, I had numerous other side quests that I'd already begun and were in the proximity of.

Cue someone saying "well if you finish the main story only and skip the side quests, then you're playing Fallout wrong!"

Yeah yeah, I know. I'm just saying I'd rather stumble around in the dark for a while.

Also, other (bad) opinion: FO3's starting area and first cities you discover were 1000000% better and more interesting than New Vegas'.

Fallout 3's quest isn't any more obtuse than NV's, they both point you directly at your next objective. The main difference would probably be that as New Vegas goes on the objective literally becomes "do side quests" because the side quests are much more important to the story and world than in Fallout 3

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I ultimately prefer NV as a game but the guy is right that the opening of Fallout 3 is better

Eh. Not really. The Vault part really drags, especially since none of the characters are remotely interesting but it insists on ignoring the core gameplay in favour of having you stew in characterization and tone-setting for ages. After that's finally over, there's still poo poo that's stage managed for you for ages on the MQ, and which feels utterly silly if you've so much as done a handful of side quests. It's a game so in love with its own bad story, characters and mise en scène that it makes you smell its farts for like an hour and a half before properly cutting you loose to enjoy the story of how your father totally saved the wasteland despite having tragically been born without a personality.

New Vegas dumps you into the game with a super brief tutorial that's totally optional.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 9, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

If we're only going to talk about high quality stories we'll need to stop talking about video games.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Yaos posted:

If we're only going to talk about high quality stories we'll need to stop talking about video games.

This is a cop out. Hairs' a thought for ya: there are stories that aren't brilliant but succeed at what they set out to do (new vegas) and stories that are dumb poo poo for retards (fallout 3). Just a tip.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Farm Frenzy posted:

This is a cop out. Hairs' a thought for ya: there are stories that aren't brilliant but succeed at what they set out to do (new vegas) and stories that are dumb poo poo for retards (fallout 3). Just a tip.

I've never once played a videogame with a story that succeeds what it sets out to do. They always collapse in on themselves in plot holes and trying to be edgy. It's like George Lucas worked on every video game.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Heh, you think video games can have good stories, what kinda dumb idiot poo poo baby are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

kentucky route zero has a legit good story so far

• Locked thread