Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

I don't think you can parry with the bars turned off because you won't see the flash, but I never learned how to parry in this game anyway. Just dodge and bonk.

Just watch their attack animations. I play with most of the HUD off; there's a lot to see if you just look at the game world instead of having two layers of information to pay attention to. You can remove floating damage numbers now so you can play with no HUD elements at all if you want. GOTY

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Oh boy this game is a piece of poo poo. Whoever programmed controls, ledges that can be interacted with, and the camera, is a retarded loving rear end in a top hat. On the way up to some stupid castle ruins to get the diagrams for the Ursine armor set, you're to navigate narrow ledges, crumbling bridges, and make sprinting jumps. All this while being engaged in combat with harpys and sirens. There's nothing like making a jump then being engaged by a harpy and switching to the awful combat mode and having Geralt do a flip kick off the bridge into a precipice. Unless you want to dodge off a crumbling ledge onto jagged rocks below, make sure you fight with your back pinned to a wall, Aard the fuckers down, and hope the buggy insta-kill will work when they're on their backs. Then, once that's all over, you're to do some standing jumps onto what should be white painted ledges that you can jump up to. Only you can't, because they're bugged, because this game, while being very pretty and having a few well written quests, is barely functional and problematic poo poo heap. I tried everything I could to jump up this ledge, and it was only with the uphill rolling bug that I was able to get up there after 10 minutes of fuckery.

Haha this has never happened to me but if you're level 22 and having trouble with harpies I don't know what to tell you. Yeah you can't jump while in combat mode, it sucks I guess but holy poo poo it's not worth getting this angry about. End combat, then do platforming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Trolls in this game are the absolute best.

That is all.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Arglebargle III posted:

This game is so good about showing instead of telling. For example: why don't the Witcher schools train new Witchers? The game never really tells you, until you go to Kaer Morhen and the Witchers tell their stories of miserable, lonely lives, boys they knew who died in the training, and then witness the torture table and administer the Decoction of the Grasses to a little screaming, writhing body as all the Witchers in the room visibly respond with disgust and sadness. The character animation in that scene really sells how the Witchers feel about taking in new recruits: Vesemir turns away, Lambert stomps off, Eskel slinks away while no one is watching and Geralt looks horrified.

As much as they all hate the process, the reason the Wolf School actually stopped producing Witchers is because Kaer Morhen got sacked and all the senior Witchers who knew how to perform the Trial of Grasses died. While the surviving Witchers aren't exactly trying to re-establish the practice, it's not like they just chose to shut it down. The choice was made for them.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Blue Raider posted:

alright so nerds riddle me this:

is maximum difficulty fun or just aggravating?
i really love this game and want to replay it with more challenge but i dont play video games for a boring frustrating time

I hadn't played any witcher games before, and did my first playthrough on deathmarch. The first fight in the game was honestly the hardest, against those ghouls. Once you learn the mechanics, specifically learn to dodge around to the backsides of enemies and backstab for more damage, it becomes a lot easier. I didnt even use Quen by the end: just dump your points into Alchemy and use nightwraith decoction ( to get up to ~14 K HP) and the katkan or whatever it's called decoction for 5% crit.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

CJacobs posted:

Did it hit you in the back? Geralt takes like retarded amounts of increased damage from behind on higher difficulties.

Maybe. The hag was up a hillside so there might've been some weird hit detection.

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

Varam posted:

As much as they all hate the process, the reason the Wolf School actually stopped producing Witchers is because Kaer Morhen got sacked and all the senior Witchers who knew how to perform the Trial of Grasses died. While the surviving Witchers aren't exactly trying to re-establish the practice, it's not like they just chose to shut it down. The choice was made for them.

That's neat. Knowing that now adds a bit to the story.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Turds in magma posted:

I hadn't played any witcher games before, and did my first playthrough on deathmarch. The first fight in the game was honestly the hardest, against those ghouls. Once you learn the mechanics, specifically learn to dodge around to the backsides of enemies and backstab for more damage, it becomes a lot easier. I didnt even use Quen by the end: just dump your points into Alchemy and use nightwraith decoction ( to get up to ~14 K HP) and the katkan or whatever it's called decoction for 5% crit.

Seconding this. Ghouls, and especially the first fight where you don't have the tools to deal with them, are some of the hardest enemies in the game. Otherwise Death March run has been really fun so far. As long as you keep your equipment tricked out as high as you can it doesn't take too long to kill things, but I get some serious adrenaline going trying to dodge and stay alive in the longer fights. Even on Blood and Broken Bones it was easy to rush down stuff and kill it incredibly fast. Not anymore. Also, keyboard shortcuts for the different signs own, especially when you want to keep Quen up 100% of the time.

Arglebargle III posted:

Haha this has never happened to me but if you're level 22 and having trouble with harpies I don't know what to tell you. Yeah you can't jump while in combat mode, it sucks I guess but holy poo poo it's not worth getting this angry about. End combat, then do platforming.
Sounds like that dude's dumb and fights things poorly in retarded places.

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 9, 2015

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Gridlocked posted:

HOLY CRAP TROLLS ARE JAMAICANS.

I'm suprised they aren't Russian, you know, since the studio is Polish and I think the game is supposed to be based on Polish folktales.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Ghetto Prince posted:

I'm suprised they aren't Russian, you know, since the studio is Polish and I think the game is supposed to be based on Polish folktales.

They actually were in the Witcher 2, those weren't Rock Trolls though, just normal Trolls.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So is there really no way to get all the cards if you miss playing at the masquerade ball or against a few NPCs who disappear?

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Oh boy this game is a piece of poo poo. Whoever programmed controls, ledges that can be interacted with, and the camera, is a retarded loving rear end in a top hat. On the way up to some stupid castle ruins to get the diagrams for the Ursine armor set, you're to navigate narrow ledges, crumbling bridges, and make sprinting jumps. All this while being engaged in combat with harpys and sirens. There's nothing like making a jump then being engaged by a harpy and switching to the awful combat mode and having Geralt do a flip kick off the bridge into a precipice. Unless you want to dodge off a crumbling ledge onto jagged rocks below, make sure you fight with your back pinned to a wall, Aard the fuckers down, and hope the buggy insta-kill will work when they're on their backs. Then, once that's all over, you're to do some standing jumps onto what should be white painted ledges that you can jump up to. Only you can't, because they're bugged, because this game, while being very pretty and having a few well written quests, is barely functional and problematic poo poo heap. I tried everything I could to jump up this ledge, and it was only with the uphill rolling bug that I was able to get up there after 10 minutes of fuckery.

For those that don't know, you can sometimes exploit the extremely lovely control mechanics by rolling uphills by spamming the jump button while sliding. If it wasn't for that I couldn't have got up there. Finally, on my way out of the castle and down to the neighboring village the camera bugged out. It was stuck in this extreme close up of Geralts face, almost to the point of a first person view. This rendered all interactable objects and NPCs uninteractable. I couldn't activate fast travel signs or talk to quest givers. I had to reload a previous save that had me half way up the narrow Bridge of lovely Controls, and do that all over. The last 40 minutes have been an exercise in frustration and a showcase at the programming ineptitude that is CDPR.

You mad bro? I just did that part and while I did find it slightly annoying that the harpies kept attacking me and I had to kill them in order to progress, it wasn't that bad. Take a break maybe?

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Verranicus posted:

So is there really no way to get all the cards if you miss playing at the masquerade ball or against a few NPCs who disappear?

I haven't heard of one. I didn't know that was a limited time thing, but I did play through it anyway. They have been patching in ways to get missing cards, so maybe just hold out for that.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
Has the shine worn off this game for me to say that although I enjoyed it, I've actually never seen worse movement in a video game than in the Witcher 3. It's seriously the absolute worst thing I've ever seen

I haven't played that many RPGs, I guess, but I tried to think about it and this game is by far the worst I've played in terms of controlling your character spacially. It's actually not so bad in combat, but out of combat it's just a chore

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Aloofa posted:

You mad bro? I just did that part and while I did find it slightly annoying that the harpies kept attacking me and I had to kill them in order to progress, it wasn't that bad. Take a break maybe?

All he is done is scream and moan about the game, but continues to play it even though he apparently hates it. :allears:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ShadowMar posted:

They actually were in the Witcher 2, those weren't Rock Trolls though, just normal Trolls.

I miss the normal troll models. It's odd they didn't have them in since they already have models and animations for them from Witcher 2.

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Has the shine worn off this game for me to say that although I enjoyed it, I've actually never seen worse movement in a video game than in the Witcher 3. It's seriously the absolute worst thing I've ever seen

I haven't played that many RPGs, I guess, but I tried to think about it and this game is by far the worst I've played in terms of controlling your character spacially. It's actually not so bad in combat, but out of combat it's just a chore

Could you describe this? This is the one complaint where I'm really not sure what to think about all the people complaining about the movement. I would call out-of-combat movement occasionally finicky and annoying. In-combat movement I like a lot.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Movement outside of combat is floaty and imprecise. It's a little like Red Dead Redemption in that it's easier than it should be to get stuck behind walls, fences, or other obstacles.

Also, the threshold for falling damage is low. It might be more realistic that way, but it doesn't encourage vertical exploration.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

isk posted:

Also, the threshold for falling damage is low. It might be more realistic that way, but it doesn't encourage vertical exploration.

It's really not that bad. Just go into a roll when you fall.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

For those that don't know, you can sometimes exploit the extremely lovely control mechanics by rolling uphills by spamming the jump button while sliding. If it wasn't for that I couldn't have got up there. Finally, on my way out of the castle and down to the neighboring village the camera bugged out. It was stuck in this extreme close up of Geralts face, almost to the point of a first person view. This rendered all interactable objects and NPCs uninteractable. I couldn't activate fast travel signs or talk to quest givers. I had to reload a previous save that had me half way up the narrow Bridge of lovely Controls, and do that all over. The last 40 minutes have been an exercise in frustration and a showcase at the programming ineptitude that is CDPR.

Lol. I just did this today and while yes the harpies switching you from combat to non-combat controls over and over got annoying all you had to do was stop flailing around long enough to pick them off one by one. After that the jumps were simple. You just suck.

EDIT: Tomorrow I am going to restart the game on a harder difficulty because the Triss/Yen thing and missing cards has gotten to me. I love this game that much.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

isk posted:

Movement outside of combat is floaty and imprecise. It's a little like Red Dead Redemption in that it's easier than it should be to get stuck behind walls, fences, or other obstacles.

Hold jump while falling.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Hm, there's another thing I somehow missed for an entire playthrough...

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Aw, I'd hoped that the W2 tattoo would at least lead to a comment from Roche or Ves. Just did the quest where Ves runs off to Mulbrydale and nobody's said anything yet.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It's really not that bad. Just go into a roll when you fall.

I don't get how this has passed so many people by. I'm pretty sure it was in the tutorial, when you're running down the stairs to the practise yard.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Arglebargle III posted:

Could you describe this? This is the one complaint where I'm really not sure what to think about all the people complaining about the movement. I would call out-of-combat movement occasionally finicky and annoying. In-combat movement I like a lot.

The simplest explanation is that Geralt has a turning radius and he shouldn't have one. You can see it yourself by running forwards then tilting a control stick (or hitting left/right on the keyboard) and observe the half-second momentum that carries him forward before he actually turns. In other third person action games (Dark Souls is the common and tired example) this is reduced or nonexistant; you turn to the left and your character instantly moves left, with no delay before the change in movement happens. Witcher 3 control is a bit more lifelike because humans don't turn on a dime like that, but in terms of a play experience it leaves something to be desired.

In wide open areas this is only occasionally annoying, but when you're right up against a box you want to loot, or you're trying to climb up/down a ladder, or any interaction really, it gets a fair bit more irritating. The issues with movement are compounded by the fact that interaction points only take into account where Geralt is facing and not where the camera is facing. If Geralt is standing still but facing a bit off to the side of a box, no amount of moving the camera will let you loot that box; Geralt has to turn to face it, and then you're dealing with the finicky delay in turning which will make the process just a little bit more difficult than it should be. Take these minor irritations, experienced semi-frequently, over 100 hours of gameplay, and you get a lot of people talking about how the controls are terrible.

Like you, the combat bothers me a bit less. There's still the same difficulties with movement, but you have so many more buttons to press that you get the sense CDPR didn't want you using normal movement in combat. Geralt's attacks don't just swing the sword, but close distance to whatever you're targeting. Between that and some unique animations for swinging the sword after dodges or rolls it seems like you're supposed to be using the combat buttons for your combat movement, and not really the control stick. Is this better than other control schemes? Well, I don't think so personally, but it's workable.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The controls are possible to get used to but they're still flawed. Geralt's animations take priority over precision control and that's the source of most of the problems, including in combat.

I was also never a big fan of Arkham/AssCreed style loose-movement lock-on based combat systems, and while I can tell what this game is going for and can get good at it (and what I'm not good at, alchemy and signs, make up for), I just don't like how it feels.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Okay that comment didn't really leave much room for discussion.

The reason why people around the internet keep bringing up Souls ad nauseum is because those games are the most prominent example of RPGs that really nailed the feel of third-person melee combat. It's not even the best example of third-person melee combat in videogames in general, it's just the one that seems like it feels the most right for this context. I mean, I wouldn't complain if Geralt were a Platinum games protagonist with the offensive and defensive toolbox to deal with a high-pressure combat system, but that's a completely different kind of game. Maybe if the hero were Ciri instead of Geralt, but you work with what you got. As it stands, the Witcher 3's combat system feels more complex than a Souls game but not necessarily better. In fact, Souls combat feels simpler but more solid, with greater priority given to player control and immediacy rather than fancy maneuvers. To put it another way, the way Geralt moves around in combat looks awesome, but it doesn't feel awesome to actually play.

Honestly, I wish there were a game with Souls-style melee but Witcher 3 magic and alchemy and story and everything else.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
So, uh, at the end of The Battle of Kaer Morhen, does Vesemir always die?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Lareine posted:

So, uh, at the end of The Battle of Kaer Morhen, does Vesemir always die?

Only if you perform poorly in all the tasks before. Try harder.

(Nah, he dies).

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Okay that comment didn't really leave much room for discussion.

The reason why people around the internet keep bringing up Souls ad nauseum is because those games are the most prominent example of RPGs that really nailed the feel of third-person melee combat. It's not even the best example of third-person melee combat in videogames in general, it's just the one that seems like it feels the most right for this context. I mean, I wouldn't complain if Geralt were a Platinum games protagonist with the offensive and defensive toolbox to deal with a high-pressure combat system, but that's a completely different kind of game. Maybe if the hero were Ciri instead of Geralt, but you work with what you got. As it stands, the Witcher 3's combat system feels more complex than a Souls game but not necessarily better. In fact, Souls combat feels simpler but more solid, with greater priority given to player control and immediacy rather than fancy maneuvers. To put it another way, the way Geralt moves around in combat looks awesome, but it doesn't feel awesome to actually play.

Honestly, I wish there were a game with Souls-style melee but Witcher 3 magic and alchemy and story and everything else.

Lol wtf? Yep, the games where you parry an attack that is already in your character model really nails 3rd person melee? A game where there is no momentum and all the weight of moves is purely in the attack animations?

Compare that to Witcher, where you can dodge a hag tongue when you duck down casting yyrden. Or how your attacks carry the weight of your body and you can't instantly cancel your momentum.

The people that complain about the movement really come off as those people that run everywhere in games at full speed expecting invisible walls and railroads to prevent failure.

Like, Souls movement is godawful. It works because the games are built around what the pc can do, not because there's any fluidity or skill involved in movement.

While we're on the subject of movement. I climbed the an crait mountain to the Axe and besides a rad view there's jack poo poo up there which is sad. Though sliding back the mountain was its own reward.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's the thing, being able to instantly cancel momentum isn't realistic but it feels absolutely right for a videogame that places more emphasis on player control. Much like being able to replenish all of your alchemy recipe items with a convenient resource rather than having to remake things every time you need more. It's completely unrealistic but takes into account concerns for gameplay rather than realism.

Nasgate posted:

Lol wtf? Yep, the games where you parry an attack that is already in your character model really nails 3rd person melee? A game where there is no momentum and all the weight of moves is purely in the attack animations?

Compare that to Witcher, where you can dodge a hag tongue when you duck down casting yyrden. Or how your attacks carry the weight of your body and you can't instantly cancel your momentum.

The people that complain about the movement really come off as those people that run everywhere in games at full speed expecting invisible walls and railroads to prevent failure.

Like, Souls movement is godawful. It works because the games are built around what the pc can do, not because there's any fluidity or skill involved in movement.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That's the thing, being able to instantly cancel momentum isn't realistic but it feels absolutely right for a videogame that places more emphasis on player control. Much like being able to replenish all of your alchemy recipe items with a convenient resource rather than having to remake things every time you need more. It's completely unrealistic but takes into account concerns for gameplay rather than realism.

Dark Souls is very overrated.

Xenoith
Aug 30, 2011

by Ralp

T.G. Xarbala posted:

lmao owned

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Finally beat the game after a hundred hours and it was great. One question though, Can Radovid be assassinated? Because that subplot ended with just helping out the spy from the trolls for me. Was it because I had a poo poo relationship with Djikstra? Don't mind though because my ending was still mostly happy aside from The North still being a shithole, though I'm sticking with that the Pontar Valley is fine, because the game never said otherwise.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Accordion Man posted:

Finally beat the game after a hundred hours and it was great. One question though, Can Radovid be assassinated? Because that subplot ended with just helping out the spy from the trolls for me. Was it because I had a poo poo relationship with Djikstra?

Yup

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Thanks.

I also feel sorry for people who killed Letho and Phillipa back in 2 because it was so much better having them be alive. The only complaint I have with the reactivity is that the Iorveth path isn't mentioned at all, I didn't expect anyone from the Pontar to appear because they would have no reason to ever go to Velen unlike Roche, but a couple of lines telling how they were doing would have been nice.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Nasgate posted:

While we're on the subject of movement. I climbed the an crait mountain to the Axe and besides a rad view there's jack poo poo up there which is sad. Though sliding back the mountain was its own reward.

In my experience you can dodge-cancel out of any attack and animation, and you can chain dodges indefinitely. The attacks only "carry the weight of your body" because Geralt, instead of running up to the opponent or maybe swing in place and let the player deal with gauging the distance incorrectly, starts jumping and twirling, but the animations aren't used to closing the distance, they're just canned and not helpful - if you're too far to actually connect, he won't make the jump longer or twirl for twice as long, he'll just swing at the air.

I've started playing the Witcher 3 at the highest possible difficulty and have many problems with its controls and battle system. The auto-animations and a dumb locking system absolutely hurt the enjoyment, and the prime example is the Keira quest in Verden, first with the bubble fight, in which Geralt will jump out of it to slice at a distant enemy, and then with a hilariously badly designed boss fight which has an invincible, HP regenerating shield and summon adds while he's still being targettable, thus you have to go away from him in order to only hit the smaller enemies, but even then that's a gamble as to which one he'll actually attack.

Witcher 3's combat system is not compared to Dark Souls or the Batman Arkham series because it designed on par with them, but because they are designed better and the game feels like a disappointment in comparison, even though in a void the combat system itself is all right and tolerable, as long as you know how to work around its flaws. In fact, when I was getting tired of how the game plays and waiting for the patch to land I started playing Dark Souls 2 and - even though I've died many more times than in this game, it felt entirely more enjoyable because I was in full control. And yes, DS 2's jump controls are bare-bones and the jumping in it can be an exercise in frustration, while mostly feeling tacked on, but Witcher 3's aren't really all that better, so that's mostly a wash.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
At the great risk of reviving a stupid argument, I'm playing through Witcher 2 and in the Dandelion-narrated cutscene between the Prologue and Act II he describes Geralt and Yennefer's relationship as "toxic" :colbert:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah but he's Dandelion.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Konig posted:

At the great risk of reviving a stupid argument, I'm playing through Witcher 2 and in the Dandelion-narrated cutscene between the Prologue and Act II he describes Geralt and Yennefer's relationship as "toxic" :colbert:
I'm not entirely sure if he's one to talk about stuff like that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Dandelion is just jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Szurumbur posted:

the animations aren't used to closing the distance, they're just canned and not helpful - if you're too far to actually connect, he won't make the jump longer or twirl for twice as long, he'll just swing at the air.

I've started playing the Witcher 3 at the highest possible difficulty and have many problems with its controls and battle system. The auto-animations and a dumb locking system absolutely hurt the enjoyment, and the prime example is the Keira quest in Verden, first with the bubble fight, in which Geralt will jump out of it to slice at a distant enemy,

The first thing there is the opposite of true, the animations are dependent on how far you are from the enemy. The only way you won't connect is if you're too far for a big twirly jumping attack to connect.

The second thing is a problem, but I hope you know that you can control which direction Geralt attack with the movement controls. Yes, the soft-lock can be a real pain in the rear end, but if you tap the move control Geralt will soft-lock onto the nearest enemy in that direction instead of the one the camera is looking at. You don't have to rely on the camera controls for lock-on.

The combat tutorial does a really bad job imo, the tutorial has you fight a single human opponent when that is by far the most trivial combat situation you will ever encounter.