Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Nintendo Kid posted:

When was the last time Seinfeld was edgy? 1982?

Seinfeld was edgy? Granted I only ever knew him from the TV series, but I always thought he was as edgy as someone like Mitch Hedberg. Just sort of weird random thoughts that might tip toe up to the line of the most easily rustled but ultimately harmless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

These conservatives sure love to blame liberals for keeping them down instead of taking personal responsibility for, well, anything.

Well of course! Unlike lazy inner city welfare queens they work hard and never had help from everyone. If something goes wrong or they fail clearly it wasn't their fault. After all we live in a Just world where people get what they deserve. So clearly someone has to be at fault for robbing them of what they deserve from their hard work

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySkinner posted:

He was kind of bland.

Larry David was the man who made that show run.

Pretty much. And his show was better than Seinfeld.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

OxySnake posted:

Seinfeld was edgy? Granted I only ever knew him from the TV series, but I always thought he was as edgy as someone like Mitch Hedberg. Just sort of weird random thoughts that might tip toe up to the line of the most easily rustled but ultimately harmless.

big mean giraffe posted:

Pretty much. And his show was better than Seinfeld.

Seinfeld has to be viewed in the lens of the time. When it came on there was no show like it--television was full of shows like General Hospital, where the whole cast was very buddy-buddy, the whole thing had feel-good outcomes and there might even be a moral to an episode. Seinfeld was the pioneering "show about nothing". A show in its own words with no hugs and no lessons learned. A show where everyone was self-interested and where they might do a whole episode of just trying to get a seat at a restaurant, as opposed to actually pursuing some kind of story with a purpose.

It doesn't look so edgy nowadays because it's become the norm. Shows like It's Always Sunny have taken the concept and gone over the next line in the sand. At the time, Seinfeld was like nothing else on television and it pioneered a whole movement in sitcoms as we know them today.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mr Interweb posted:

Yup, that was an amusing one. Clearly couldn't have had anything to do with his movies bombing or anything like that.

Someone here on SA put it best: "Steve Carrell is why Rob Schneider can't find work anymore."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Redeye Flight posted:

Seinfeld has to be viewed in the lens of the time. When it came on there was no show like it--television was full of shows like General Hospital, where the whole cast was very buddy-buddy, the whole thing had feel-good outcomes and there might even be a moral to an episode. Seinfeld was the pioneering "show about nothing". A show in its own words with no hugs and no lessons learned. A show where everyone was self-interested and where they might do a whole episode of just trying to get a seat at a restaurant, as opposed to actually pursuing some kind of story with a purpose.

It doesn't look so edgy nowadays because it's become the norm. Shows like It's Always Sunny have taken the concept and gone over the next line in the sand. At the time, Seinfeld was like nothing else on television and it pioneered a whole movement in sitcoms as we know them today.

I was talking about Jerry himself, not the show. His actual standalone comedy is hardly edgy, ever.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
This article on Media Matters has a real poo poo headline considering there's not really much, if any, new information in it. It does make some good points, though. It seems like Limbaugh is slowly going the way of Crowder in that the only people really still paying much attention to him are in this thread.

Media Matters posted:

More Bad News For Rush Limbaugh

Which bulletin was worse, though? The news in April that he was being dropped by WIBC in Indianapolis, a booming talk powerhouse that played home to Limbaugh's radio show for more than two decades, or the news this week that the talker's new address on the Indianapolis dial is going to be WNDE, a ratings doormat AM sports station that has so few listeners it trails the commercial-free classical music outlet in town?

"There's no way iHeartMedia would've placed Limbaugh on an owned Sports station if the company had any other affiliation options in the market," noted RadioInsight when the news broke on Tuesday. "But when everyone one else says no and you need to save face, options become limited."

Here's a perfect example. In April, Bloomberg's Mark Halperin conducted an awkward interview with Republican presidential hopeful Sen. Ted Cruz, asking the Hispanic candidate about Cuban food and if he'd answer at least one question in Spanish. Limbaugh immediately castigated Halperin's Q&A on his show, but nobody seemed to pay much attention to his complaints.

Fast-forward one week and syndicated conservative columnist Ruben Navarrette lodged similar complaints about the interview. (i.e. "This was bad journalism, bad form, and bad manners.") Except this time the complaint went viral and Helperin was quickly forced to apologize.

At BuzzFeed, a writer marveled at how Halperin's controversial interview[of Ted Cruz] had gone unnoticed for nine days. But it hadn't gone unnoticed. Limbaugh highlighted the interview right away. It's just that nobody cared about the talker's critique at the time.

That same desperate scenario[as Indianapolis] is playing out in Boston, where Premier hasn't been able to find a new home for Limbaugh. This, after WRKO announced it was dropping the show. One station owner recently told the Boston Globe that Premiere had offered the Limbaugh show four times, and four times the station turned it down.

Fact: Years ago station owners lined up for the chance to pick up Limbaugh's powerhouse program.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/06/05/more-bad-news-for-rush-limbaugh/203898

ErIog fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 9, 2015

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Nintendo Kid posted:

I was talking about Jerry himself, not the show. His actual standalone comedy is hardly edgy, ever.

Ah, fair 'nuff. I don't know jack about Jerry's comedy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Redeye Flight posted:

Ah, fair 'nuff. I don't know jack about Jerry's comedy.

The clips you see in the Seinfeld TV show are pretty accurate. His whole shtick is that he's the kind of guy who would barely tell a joke that would offend anyone, which is what's so crazy about him taking about "political correctness".

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
"Mulaney" was basically "Seinfeld" with updated references and cell phones, and it didn't last a season. A lot has changed in 20 years.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I have had a comedian/radio dude on twitter tell me how he sides with the GOP a lot because the "LEFT" is pro censorship in regards to how Comedy is handled now.

Same with Steven Crowder saying similiar garbage.

The thing is though. I don't think people who are pro-censorship/anti-comedy know a political ideology. They just exist. Like, there's plenty of people on the right that if you told a joke that was not to their liking? Their pile onto it and then try to make moves to have you shut up.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

I have had a comedian/radio dude on twitter tell me how he sides with the GOP a lot because the "LEFT" is pro censorship in regards to how Comedy is handled now.

Same with Steven Crowder saying similiar garbage.

The thing is though. I don't think people who are pro-censorship/anti-comedy know a political ideology. They just exist. Like, there's plenty of people on the right that if you told a joke that was not to their liking? Their pile onto it and then try to make moves to have you shut up.

Show me a comedian who self-identifies as a Republican, and I'll show you a comedian who's either dead, not funny, or Michael J. Nelson.

Modern Conservatism and a good sense of humor are pretty much mutually-exclusive.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Deep Hurting posted:

Show me a comedian who self-identifies as a Republican, and I'll show you a comedian who's either dead, not funny, or Michael J. Nelson.

Modern Conservatism and a good sense of humor are pretty much mutually-exclusive.

I guess someone doesn't like Frasier.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

FuzzySkinner posted:

The thing is though. I don't think people who are pro-censorship/anti-comedy know a political ideology.

The woman who built the Daily Show with Jon Stewart used to run a comedy club and would throw comedians offstage if she considered their jokes sexist, racist, homophobic, etc.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

computer parts posted:

Did Frasier make fun of minorities?

Mickey Mental
May 18, 2008
Maybe Seinfeld was influenced by his friend.

Chris Rock Interview posted:

What do you make of the attempt to bar Bill Maher from speaking at Berkeley for his riff on Muslims?

Well, I love Bill, but I stopped playing colleges, and the reason is because they’re way too conservative.

In their political views?

Not in their political views — not like they’re voting Republican — but in their social views and their willingness not to offend anybody. Kids raised on a culture of “We’re not going to keep score in the game because we don’t want anybody to lose.” Or just ignoring race to a fault. You can’t say “the black kid over there.” No, it’s “the guy with the red shoes.” You can’t even be offensive on your way to being inoffensive.

When did you start to notice this?

About eight years ago. Probably a couple of tours ago. It was just like, This is not as much fun as it used to be. I remember talking to George Carlin before he died and him saying the exact same thing.
http://www.vulture.com/2014/11/chris-rock-frank-rich-in-conversation.html

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

The woman who built the Daily Show with Jon Stewart used to run a comedy club and would throw comedians offstage if she considered their jokes sexist, racist, homophobic, etc.

I kind of feel that a lot of the jokes in that category are loving lazy if you really think about it, thus the laughs are not nearly as rewarding.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Hey cranky old guy comics: the minute you start having contempt for your audience is the minute you stop becoming funny.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

FuzzySkinner posted:

I kind of feel that a lot of the jokes in that category are loving lazy if you really think about it, thus the laughs are not nearly as rewarding.

Good thing someone with a political ideology was there to censor them.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Comedians Less Funny In Front of New Audience, Sources Say
The Internet Reacts: "Someone Involved Here Must Be Terrible"

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

beatlegs posted:

Hey cranky old guy comics: the minute you start having contempt for your audience is the minute you stop becoming funny.

I just realized what this means about Fat Albert being as inexplicable and boring as email forwards.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Related: I tried to explain content advisory repositories and trigger warnings to my (leftist) father and he went off about how movies would have to have 'TW: Violence, Gore' on any of their promotional material up to and including their title if anything was ceded to the people that want trigger warnings, and that was somehow wrong. I tried to then explain that we already had a ratings system that mandated exactly that and he had no problem with that before I framed the issue as mentally ill and downtrodden people trying to avoid content that unsettles or triggers them.

He had an entire rant about how if he were to make a series of photos involving dead dogs, and he posted it on the internet, you would be a fascist if you shared it with any warning about their being dead dogs in it. He elaborated on this, saying it would be made for exactly the people that wouldn't want to see dead dogs in their daily life, and despite my well-reasoned protestations that that would be a hosed up thing to do (showing images of dead dogs to people you don't personally know without any warning) he surmised that it was a perfectly acceptable hypothetical course of action and I was just being a dumb fascist for saying otherwise.

The 'PC' problem is literally just people being old fucks that don't realise the world doesn't work the way it did yesterday (or the day before).

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

RoanHorse posted:

Related: I tried to explain content advisory repositories and trigger warnings to my (leftist) father and he went off about how movies would have to have 'TW: Violence, Gore' on any of their promotional material up to and including their title if anything was ceded to the people that want trigger warnings, and that was somehow wrong. I tried to then explain that we already had a ratings system that mandated exactly that and he had no problem with that before I framed the issue as mentally ill and downtrodden people trying to avoid content that unsettles or triggers them.

He had an entire rant about how if he were to make a series of photos involving dead dogs, and he posted it on the internet, you would be a fascist if you shared it with any warning about their being dead dogs in it. He elaborated on this, saying it would be made for exactly the people that wouldn't want to see dead dogs in their daily life, and despite my well-reasoned protestations that that would be a hosed up thing to do (showing images of dead dogs to people you don't personally know without any warning) he surmised that it was a perfectly acceptable hypothetical course of action and I was just being a dumb fascist for saying otherwise.

The 'PC' problem is literally just people being old fucks that don't realise the world doesn't work the way it did yesterday (or the day before).

Yeah, yesterday, when I'm sure you could walk around in public randomly showing pictures of dead dogs to people without any trouble.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

computer parts posted:

He's not a comedian, he's an actor.

Anyway, this is the last word on political correctness.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah Stewart Lee really nails what people complaining about political correctness are actually all about. If you are complaining about it, chances are you are trying to poo poo on someone that is looked down on by society or disadvantaged in general and that's really terrible.

Here's the stand up routine where he uses those anecdotes and a few more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmsV1TuESrc

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Yes, Chris Rock and Jerry Seinfeld have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to the atmosphere among standup comedy audiences today.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Anecdotal but my college had Bob Saget and Kevin Smith and those guys aren't the cleanest of performers so I have no idea what they're on about.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
PC is ruining this country why do I have to care about your feelings getting hurt taking offense to anything you Nazis HOLY poo poo are those people standing on an American flag?!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

My small liberal arts college had Lewis Black come and no one freaked out. If you can't do a college show because you need to make fun of minority groups or whatever, the problem is with you. Unless of course they are talking about the Political Correctness where college republicans go crying to the right wing media when anyone tells them they shouldn't be assholes and then Fox News complains about liberal college kids oppressing everyone with their lack of tolerance and open mindedness for white males telling everyone else they are inferior.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Seinfeld had that really controversial bit about why men and women browse TV channels differently. :biotruths:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Screaming Idiot posted:

Ah, yes, incisive political commentary from a comedian whose best known work involved cross-dressing and screaming "spam" at the top of his lungs.

lmao

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Yeah, Louis CK is all the proof anyone should need that PC whining is just the sad crying of people whose material became Irrelevant years ago. Nobody gives a poo poo if you're offensive as long as you're funny at the same time. Simply being offensive isnt comedy anymore.

Jim Jeffries and Bill Burr don't seem to be having any problems with PC censoring.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Somebody linked an article on my Facebook page recently which basically was an essay by a college professor who noted that the current generation of college students offend easier and are less receptive of new ideas. He mentioned how he has been doing the same lecture on subjects like abortion and Affirmative Action for more than a decade but now students are issuing bad evaluations to him. The main point of his article was that he do an exercise where students had to debate the opposite of their beliefs and students would just implode over having to do this. Basically kids are going to college so set in their ways that they never look at opposing views and just block out everything that doesn't agree with their current worldview.

Granted, some of this article could be summed up as "bloo a bloo social norms are changing".

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I do think that people with conservative beliefs have been led to believe that colleges oppress them and encourage them to react aggressively to it instead of try and think about something other than what they've been indoctrinated with as children. The last time I saw Fox News while eating lunch at a restaurant it was two women talking about how republicans on campus are a persecuted minority and what can we do about fixing this.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Radish posted:

I do think that people with conservative beliefs have been led to believe that colleges oppress them and encourage them to react aggressively to it instead of try and think about something other than what they've been indoctrinated with as children. The last time I saw Fox News while eating lunch at a restaurant it was two women talking about how republicans on campus are a persecuted minority and what can we do about fixing this.

Eliminating critical thinking in public schools seems like a good start.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I wonder how much Ray Bradbury's ideas on political correctness apply to our current discussion? :nallears:

Vargatron posted:

Somebody linked an article on my Facebook page recently which basically was an essay by a college professor who noted that the current generation of college students offend easier and are less receptive of new ideas. He mentioned how he has been doing the same lecture on subjects like abortion and Affirmative Action for more than a decade but now students are issuing bad evaluations to him. The main point of his article was that he do an exercise where students had to debate the opposite of their beliefs and students would just implode over having to do this. Basically kids are going to college so set in their ways that they never look at opposing views and just block out everything that doesn't agree with their current worldview.

Granted, some of this article could be summed up as "bloo a bloo social norms are changing".

Weird, my collage English class was perfectly fine about calmly and rationally debating stuff like abortion and Affirmative Action but anecdotes aren't evidence.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Eliminating critical thinking in public schools seems like a good start.

:stonk:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

This is a thing by the way. I think that the phrasing used is that promoting critical thinking in the classroom leads people/children to question and rebuke authority.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Phone posted:

This is a thing by the way. I think that the phrasing used is that promoting critical thinking in the classroom leads people/children to question and rebuke authority.

Questions the established authority is how the United states of America got started arghbarblaoihgdk :psypop:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Radish posted:

This is why mixing conservatism with Evangelical Christianity is so damaging to political discourse. When you are raised not to ask questions or think critically about religion, that mindset will bleed over into the political thought process. Couple this with the fact that conservative state legislatures are dropping critical thinking from primary school education, then you've got a generation of college students coming up who are conditioned not to respond to opposing thoughts and viewpoints. In this way, a simple disagreement over a topic of debate is thought of as a "personal attack" against somebody because it goes against their upbringing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

This is actually being done to an extent. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/texas-gop-rejects-critical-thinking-skills-really/2012/07/08/gJQAHNpFXW_blog.html

And behind the scenes, decreased education budgets with increased demand/need for teachers causes the educational system to take short cuts. It takes time to grade essays and individual assignments, however if you make assignments and exams easier to grade in bulk (Scantron) you can handle more students.

That's how you can have undergrads that are pretty fair test takers but anywhere outside the bubble seem like complete idiots.