Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Apple-stuff-in-a-corporate-world is: Get users to use their own personal Apple IDs, make sure you have a VPP account, and use MDM to push free apps and a combination of VPP license assignment and MDM to push paid apps.

Anything else is far too painful. Tracking multiple Apple IDs? gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Asmodai_00 posted:

That being said, maybe it is time for me to see if I can come up with a disk cloning+storage solution for these situations. Would be worth having around just in case.

Get yourself one of them fancy HDD toasters and have a script pull all non-system files into a nice little zip file on the server.

I make it sound easier than it really is but that's how I'd do it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thanks Ants posted:

Apple-stuff-in-a-corporate-world is: Get users to use their own personal Apple IDs, make sure you have a VPP account, and use MDM to push free apps and a combination of VPP license assignment and MDM to push paid apps.

Anything else is far too painful. Tracking multiple Apple IDs? gently caress that.

In my situation I just do hourly work for this (smallish) business and they're only getting a few ipads, so I can't really dictate a strict policy for it. As long as I can figure out how to get them on dropbox I'm sure it'll work out. I know a couple of them use iPhones so they have Apple IDs. The rest, I don't know what I'll do. If they ever have more than a half dozen it may be worth worrying about a managed solution, but it's good information if that becomes the case.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

MJP posted:

I'm just trying to exhaust everything to get the Data Loader running rather than do 250 at a time for what looks like around 15,000 companies.

Bro, save yourself a bunch of hassle and go use Dataloader.io

The free version will max out at 50,000 / 100,000 records per month (I forget the exact number, I've maxed it out a few times) and is leagues better than the lovely Apex Loader java app. Which instance version are you running anyway? We're on Enterprise edition and accessing 200 records costs 1 API call a pop, dataloader makes it monumentally easier to work with.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I had an Excel call that actually pissed me off the other day. Normally I love Excel calls cause I sometimes have to put my nerd hat on and think about an actual problem not "I don't know how to word in 2015" garbage. Person calls up asking me if I can explain what some formula means. Something about average days to payment in relation to invoice amount. Not asking me what steps the formula in the box is taking, no they want me to tell them what the purpose of this math is.

My attempts to explain that this seems more an accounting question failed on deaf ears and demands I escalate this to...someone else in IT who can. I refused and suggested calling accounting if they want to know how to math. Not that I didn't have a basic understanding of what it was doing but certainly not enough to explain it to them.

Course that's life with paralegals who I pretty much feel are worse than lawyers at this point. Lawyers at least just grunt and expect it to work. Paralegals are the just shortest nastiest people I deal with most days and none of them are as smart or special as they think they are.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MiniFoo posted:

I agree with all of you. The problem is the way the guy wants the redundant backup... he wants it done via Google Drive, when a better solution would be CrashPlan or something similar. As far as I'm aware, linking Drive to Dropbox just creates another sync process, which kinda defeats the purpose of using Drive as a backup to Dropbox. Likewise, like spog said, "mission critical" data probably shouldn't be backed up to yet another cloud service, but a local hard drive. Maybe some of you have better ideas on how to implement his request?

We've got a backup thread just for this kind of chatter.

I'm not saying GTFO or anything, but you might get some different responses there.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
It's me, I am the user with a lovely ticket, I opened a ticket today to AWS and started to write the subject then decided to write the body... so the subject ended up saying "SSIS".

:ughh:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

deimos posted:

the subject ended up saying "SSIS".

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Kyrosiris posted:

Seriously, no poo poo. "These documents are beyond mission critical and thus we would like for them to be backed up past the point of redundancy" is a good mindset and an all-too-rare one.

If I had to guess, CEO is either a former IT worker himself and/or has witnessed catastrophic data loss at some point. Definitely good that someone that high up in the chain sees importance in keeping everything backed up and safe, regardless of how over-redundant it might be. Agree that Google Drive isn't the best way, might be worth looking into another backup utility and an on site QNAP or other storage device where you can set up an on site backup, then sync to an off site device in case of disaster.

E:

Holy poo poo, this rules...errors I can actually understand? :aaa:

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 9, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Thanks Ants posted:

I had a VP that was using his own Apple ID and he forgot his password. He tried to reset it but he forgot the password to the personal email account he'd registered with.

And he'd forgotten the password to his secondary personal email account that was the backup for his primary. :what:

After that I made everyone use their work email address for an Apple ID if they wanted support from me.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I printed the output from lslpp on one of my boxes without thinking today. My apologies to the 14 trees I murdered.

On the up side TL3 SP5 is a relatively minor update, so that will be nice.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

It's like the guys behind these services don't understand timestamps.

No timestamps on a file that's gone. Too easy to read that as "Oh, user 18 deleted their copy - sync the deletion and blow everyone else's copies away!"

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

sfwarlock posted:

No timestamps on a file that's gone. Too easy to read that as "Oh, user 18 deleted their copy - sync the deletion and blow everyone else's copies away!"
Why didn't you just restore it from the web interface since the corporate editions all have file recovery options?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rexxed posted:

On a related side note does anyone know if you can sideload ipad apps or just install them from one app store login and then keep using them when you sign out? I'd imagine that it's easy but google searching for "ipad app apple account" is unsurprisingly general.

"Corporate iPad account" gives this as the first hit:

https://www.apple.com/ipad/business/it/management.html

There's plenty of management options for Macs and iOS devices.

A ticket came in: laptop showing the critical failure with the fan error at startup. I don't have a fan for that model in stock, so I roll out with a how swap unit. I get there, power it up to check the error, it's still there. So it's time to let it be simple, so I figure I'll open it up to check and reseat the fan. Oh god, there's such a gritty feeling sliding the back plate off. And sure enough, there's gritty sand-like stuff in there. I can feel it, I can see it, there's stuff coming out onto the desk… What the hell ? I can't swap this unit, it feels like it went to the beach. So I pull the fan from the ailing unit, and then from the spare. Put it in, close up, power up…. same error. Goodbye logic board, we hardly knew ye. The user is on a call, so I can't do any data gathering yet. I swap the fans back where they started (and gently caress HP 820 G1s and how much stuff you have to remove to get at the fans). So I'm closing up the laptops again and the user gets off the call. Bad news, we get the whole laptop for less than the logic board so the user is stuck replacing the system.

But I want to know what happened. What eventually transpires is that an airline provided salt and pepper shaker had gotten chucked along with everything else into the laptop bag upon landing procedures. And then opened up. The inside of the user's bag was sparkly with salt. And a good thing I was that thorough, or the replacement laptop would have gone into the same bag.

Lots of salt, plus a humid day, equals a logic board with all sorts of corrosion and conductivity events all over it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Dick Trauma posted:

I had a VP that was using his own Apple ID and he forgot his password. He tried to reset it but he forgot the password to the personal email account he'd registered with.

And he'd forgotten the password to his secondary personal email account that was the backup for his primary. :what:

After that I made everyone use their work email address for an Apple ID if they wanted support from me.

Slip "1Password or simliar password manager" into your support contracts, imo. Better than sticky notes all over the monitor anyways.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

nexxai posted:

Why didn't you just restore it from the web interface since the corporate editions all have file recovery options?

We did. It was still a major brown-pants moment.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A ticket came in

Project Manager posted:

Hi Ghostlight,

Can you confirm their turn-around time for the appraisal, and for the file recovery (if we proceed)?

If it is a day or two we will proceed, but if it is a week it is probably not worth it.

Thanks
After doing some digging it turns out that one of his guys has spent the last two-three weeks working from home putting 80 hours of work into a report that is due on Monday, but Word is saying it is corrupted.

The USB that he brought it in on is the master and only copy.
He wasn't keeping dated revisions as per standard procedure.
He never made a copy to the project folder on the network on the days he was in.
He didn't use his OneDrive, the Sharepoint site specifically for people working from home, or the project Sharepoint site.

:negative:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

After doing some digging it turns out that one of his guys has "spent" the last "two-three weeks" "working from home" putting "80 hours of work" into a report that is due on Monday, but Word is saying it is corrupted.

*Quotes added*

Oh, I remember doing that almost two decades ago. One little hex edit and the whole "file" is corrupted. Darn you, IT! Clearly, I created a superior work product only to have it lost to the vagaries of chance!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

baquerd posted:

*Quotes added*

Oh, I remember doing that almost two decades ago. One little hex edit and the whole "file" is corrupted. Darn you, IT! Clearly, I created a superior work product only to have it lost to the vagaries of chance!

Man I remember doing poo poo like this in high school. You has to be smart about it though, some teachers were on the ball enough to take it to someone who could open it in a hex editor and figure out that it was actually renamed mp3 file or whatever. I had a lovely red hat 9 Pentium 3 at home that I’d use to cat /dev/urandom into a file, then prepend a chunk of whatever portion of the paper I had actually finished to it.

It probably helped that I didn’t do it *too* frequently.

The other trick, back in middle school, was to “accidentally” flip open the guard on your 3.5” and run a decent magnet around on it before turning it in. Even more believable if you snuck it across a couple other student’s disks too, so you weren’t the only one with a “crap disk”.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
A ticket came in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrOhvSvKIhc

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
A pretty much new Lenovo Thinkpad came in to the IT department, and the consultant who used it quit 2 months ago according to AD.

We don't use Thinkpads at our company, and it has the anti-theft markings of a completely different company.

I called the phone number on the label, and nobody answered.

The BIOS and harddrive isn't password locked, so hello to my new Thinkpad I guess.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

baquerd posted:

*Quotes added*

The quotes are almost certainly accurate. The rest of his team has been bitching for the last four months about how terrible he is at his job, how little he shows up to work, and marvelling that he manages to stay employed at all when he's playing browser games at his desk and missing deadlines. Regardless we still have to waste our time and budget on attempting to recover it because it's not politic to just tell someone they're loving idiots who made their bed.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

mllaneza posted:

That site was up for a year, maybe two, before VPP actually worked properly (VPP managed to be announced by Apple at two different releases of iOS, and even when it was finally working, with iOS 8, it didn't actually work until about 6 months after they said it did)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

mllaneza posted:

A ticket came in: laptop showing the critical failure with the fan error at startup. I don't have a fan for that model in stock, so I roll out with a how swap unit. I get there, power it up to check the error, it's still there. So it's time to let it be simple, so I figure I'll open it up to check and reseat the fan. Oh god, there's such a gritty feeling sliding the back plate off. And sure enough, there's gritty sand-like stuff in there. I can feel it, I can see it, there's stuff coming out onto the desk… What the hell ? I can't swap this unit, it feels like it went to the beach. So I pull the fan from the ailing unit, and then from the spare. Put it in, close up, power up…. same error. Goodbye logic board, we hardly knew ye. The user is on a call, so I can't do any data gathering yet. I swap the fans back where they started (and gently caress HP 820 G1s and how much stuff you have to remove to get at the fans). So I'm closing up the laptops again and the user gets off the call. Bad news, we get the whole laptop for less than the logic board so the user is stuck replacing the system.

But I want to know what happened. What eventually transpires is that an airline provided salt and pepper shaker had gotten chucked along with everything else into the laptop bag upon landing procedures. And then opened up. The inside of the user's bag was sparkly with salt. And a good thing I was that thorough, or the replacement laptop would have gone into the same bag.

Lots of salt, plus a humid day, equals a logic board with all sorts of corrosion and conductivity events all over it.

Had a lady at a previous IT help desk job that would bring her laptop in every couple months for a similar issue - getting hot, shutting down unexpectedly, fan errors. I didn't fix it but was there when one of my colleagues did - he opened it up and there was loving MAKEUP all over the inside of the thing. Apparently this lady liked putting on her makeup every day, right over her laptop, and over time it got sucked into the system and clogged the vents and fan. It was something you'd expect from that Mimi lady from the Drew Carey sitcom, I swear she caked that poo poo on the point you couldn't tell what her real face even looked like beforehand.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Super Slash posted:

Bro, save yourself a bunch of hassle and go use Dataloader.io

The free version will max out at 50,000 / 100,000 records per month (I forget the exact number, I've maxed it out a few times) and is leagues better than the lovely Apex Loader java app. Which instance version are you running anyway? We're on Enterprise edition and accessing 200 records costs 1 API call a pop, dataloader makes it monumentally easier to work with.

I got it done with Apex Data Loader - fucker just needed the window size increased so I could see the actual operator field. The transfer is complete, now I just gotta confirm that if we delete the old user, his dashboards and customizations will still be visible. Or not. And how to work with it.

And then I gotta figure out how to move those if they do die with the deleted user.

gently caress SALESFORCE

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I confronted my supervisor about our NAS issue. To recap, we archive all of our news packages. Apparently the best option for this is 6TB Buffalo NAS units. We are up to 12 of them at this point. When one runs out of space, we just buy another one. They are all beginning to fail because, apparently, these particular units have a quirk where if you fill them past 95% capacity they just stop responding after a while and have to be reset. The guy I replaced and my supervisor are convinced the best way to do this is to hard reset by pulling the power. Anyways, it's a loving shitshow and I'm getting tired of it.

I approached him earlier last year about it after seeking advice in here, suggesting we either buy an empty server mounted NAS unit we can just pop drives into as needed, or look into a more reputable manufacturer like Synology. The first option was too expensive, and he claimed Synology "is just as bad as any other one." I bowed my head and relinquished the decision to him, so here we are a year and a half later with a bunch of failed Buffalo drives.

Anyways, I confronted him about it. He pondered if we had any "old computers with RAID controllers we could put Linux on." No, none of the computers with RAID controllers in our hoarder's paradise of a basement have SATA connections. I reiterated that a nice Synology cabinet might be an option. He said "I've always heard Synology is a good brand, we should look into that."

Twenty minutes later I come back with some ideas and prices and everything is too expensive and also Synology is bad again. We'll just go with the vendor solution he's been dangling for over a year with no progress. I told him that poo poo is unacceptable because this is something we needed years ago, and now most of my time is spent manually pulling files for people out of backups and I'm getting sick of it. He just laughed and said, "yeah, that's working for now, though."

I had a massive stroke and died.

I'm dead now, and writing this from the afterlife.

I'm considering coming back to life and dumping the backup drives and SATA reader on his desk and telling him he can pull the loving packages since that's apparently working as intended.

Also, my ticket submission page doesn't work in IE8, which most of our computers are using since they're still on XP.

Woo, Tuesday.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

larchesdanrew posted:

I confronted my supervisor about our NAS issue. To recap, we archive all of our news packages. Apparently the best option for this is 6TB Buffalo NAS units. We are up to 12 of them at this point. When one runs out of space, we just buy another one. They are all beginning to fail because, apparently, these particular units have a quirk where if you fill them past 95% capacity they just stop responding after a while and have to be reset. The guy I replaced and my supervisor are convinced the best way to do this is to hard reset by pulling the power. Anyways, it's a loving shitshow and I'm getting tired of it.

I approached him earlier last year about it after seeking advice in here, suggesting we either buy an empty server mounted NAS unit we can just pop drives into as needed, or look into a more reputable manufacturer like Synology. The first option was too expensive, and he claimed Synology "is just as bad as any other one." I bowed my head and relinquished the decision to him, so here we are a year and a half later with a bunch of failed Buffalo drives.

Anyways, I confronted him about it. He pondered if we had any "old computers with RAID controllers we could put Linux on." No, none of the computers with RAID controllers in our hoarder's paradise of a basement have SATA connections. I reiterated that a nice Synology cabinet might be an option. He said "I've always heard Synology is a good brand, we should look into that."

Twenty minutes later I come back with some ideas and prices and everything is too expensive and also Synology is bad again. We'll just go with the vendor solution he's been dangling for over a year with no progress. I told him that poo poo is unacceptable because this is something we needed years ago, and now most of my time is spent manually pulling files for people out of backups and I'm getting sick of it. He just laughed and said, "yeah, that's working for now, though."

I'm considering coming back to life and dumping the backup drives and SATA reader on his desk and telling him he can pull the loving packages since that's apparently working as intended.

Also, my ticket submission page doesn't work in IE8, which most of our computers are using since they're still on XP.

Woo, Tuesday.

Look at QNAP stuff. If those are too expensive you can't afford a nas.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Woo, Tuesday.

Maybe ask him what "not too expensive" would be? Or ask what the budget actually would allow, or possibly into expensing it?

Then maybe you could take the cost basis of how much losing data from these lovely HDDs would be vs. the cost of buying a decent basic NAS box and put the numbers before the Powers That Be.

If that fails, maybe some iron filings dropped into the housing of the drive might help. Highly magnetized.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Sickening posted:

Look at QNAP stuff. If those are too expensive you can't afford a nas.

It has nothing to do with cost. The solution he's looking at is four times the cost of what I came up with. It has everything to do with the fact that it wasn't his idea.

MJP posted:

Maybe ask him what "not too expensive" would be? Or ask what the budget actually would allow, or possibly into expensing it?

Asking what our budget is is pointless, because he strokes a massive ego boner at knowing classified information. Every time I've asked about our budget, I just get a bunch of "I can't tell you" smarmy bullshit.

I'm not giving up, though. This last week or so I've discovered that he backs down really quickly when confronted. It's all an act as he compensates for his lovely home life and lack of self esteem. When he got all pissy and hurt that I went on a smoke break with the director instead of him, I realized this.

MJP posted:

If that fails, maybe some iron filings dropped into the housing of the drive might help. Highly magnetized.

Don't tempt me. I've seriously considered the possibility of an "accidental" mass failure so I can just stand back as the world falls down around him.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 9, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If whoever is in charge of the pair of you is likely to be on the receiving end of problems resulting from either lovely backups or you having to spend all your time dealing with lovely backups instead of the thing they presumably hired you to do, you could consider bringing the issue to them directly? You've brought it up with your supervisor, your supervisor isn't doing anything about it, the logical solution would presumably be to escalate it politely but firmly.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
A ticket came in.

"Laptop screen stopped working, please fix if possible"

hahahaha nope

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hungry Computer posted:

A ticket came in.

hahahaha nope

I don't know I just woke up this morning and it was just like that ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Wow I bet it just stopped working through no fault of the user too!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Hungry Computer posted:

A ticket came in.

hahahaha nope

Close laptop, connect monitor. (I actually had the bottom half of something like this as my only computer for awhile as a broke-rear end college dropout)

larchesdanrew posted:

It has nothing to do with cost. The solution he's looking at is four times the cost of what I came up with. It has everything to do with the fact that it wasn't his idea.

Just practice boss-steering tactics so you can put it on your resume for your next job. Photoshop some fake ads for your preferred solution, print them up and slip them into his magazines, put a custom router between his computer and the network so you can inject them into his browser...the possibilities are endless!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
well ok fine if you must know it slipped off the pillow on the couch onto the floor but it wasn't even that big of a fall, i drop my phone all the time and it's perfectly fine

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Well it isn't mine anyway so what do I care? Just replace it I need it now.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

larchesdanrew posted:

Don't tempt me. I've seriously considered the possibility of an "accidental" mass failure so I can just stand back as the world falls down around him.

I'd take this as a personal challenge.

Easiest would be to swap a full disc out for a blank, freshly-formatted one and just wait.

Bonus points for being able to restore that vital file after your boss's rear end is about to get nailed to the wall.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Hello, emergency services? Yes, I have a man here who stopped working, I don't know why, he has like, maybe a few holes in him and my knife has blood on it but I think he's faulty can you return him to the factory please?"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

I'd take this as a personal challenge.

Easiest would be to swap a full disc out for a blank, freshly-formatted one and just wait.

Bonus points for being able to restore that vital file after your boss's rear end is about to get nailed to the wall.

Seriously, make like that BofH from either earlier in this or the other thread who was able to simulate a mass failure and bring the company to their knees then reveal that it was all an elaborate drill.

If you go on smoke breaks with the director, I'd also use that as leverage. "Look, %bossname%, this is a means of taking a process that works 'for now' and replacing it with hardware that is designed to make the process literally 90% less labor-intensive, freeing me up for the other work I have to do. I want to be able to properly evaluate the costs. If you won't let me know what the budget is, then I'll take it up with %smokebreakdirector% and see if he can point me in the right direction. I have a need to know this in order to perform my job. If I'm not supposed to perform this part of my job I'll happily move the HDDs to your office."

This verges dangerously into goony goons making goony suggestions but you're firmly in NAS turf. This is critical data, it merits availability based on whatever retention policy you're under, and please also tell me it has offsite backups as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

MJP posted:

offsite backups

• Locked thread