Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

clutchpuck posted:

They're all unpredictable traffic obstructions, treat them like deer.

They don't make very good jerky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Have you tried it with fava beans and a nice chanti?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Have you tried it with fava beans and a nice chanti?

Personally I'd choose a pinotage if I was pairing with jerky.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wine is gross drink beer with your food like real men.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Wine is the worst for my gout.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Slavvy posted:

Look how wrong this opinion is. We should love all alcohol equally and understand that we all are sharing the same risks and enjoyment with our alcohol.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

You must export all the good stuff, because I've had a few amazing Marlborough sauvingnon blancs. Wairau River I think was one?
Beer doesn't need food. Beer is good all by itself.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd argue that beer *is* food.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

And to think, you live in a country that cares about wine so much they use helicopters to keep it warm.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Today as I was walking to my car at work, I saw a Sportster with its headlight on. I assumed the owner had accidentally set the parking lights, but when I walked over to it, I found he left the keys in the ignition. I left the keys with a guard, I'm hoping the owner finds them.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

clutchpuck posted:

I'd argue that beer *is* food.

You may have questionable taste in bikes but that alone shows you have good taste in beer.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

Today as I was walking to my car at work, I saw a Sportster with its headlight on. I assumed the owner had accidentally set the parking lights, but when I walked over to it, I found he left the keys in the ignition. I left the keys with a guard, I'm hoping the owner finds them.

You're a good man.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Buenas noches, (Los) Angelinos!

I'm waiting for paint to dry, which you probably would have concluded on your own, between the apparent boredom and/or signs of huffing base coat. Indulge me for a moment.

Setting aside her unfortunate politics and tendency to regularly commit career suicide, I think Michelle Shocked's Come A Long Way is one of the best chronicles of a motorcycle trip ever jammed into a 4 minute pop song. But I have always wondered--do the Los Angeles area landmarks noted on this trip add up to the 500 miles claimed in the chorus? I don't know the geography, but reasoned that it was theoretically possible to zig zag around the county in a day and rack up 500 miles. In any event, they have this google maps thing now to remove all doubt.

The landmarks, as seen on her Yamaha Virago 920:

The Plaza Hotel
MacArthur Park
East LA
Watts Tower
San Pedro Bay
Mullholland Drive
Wilshire, past the Rodeo (Drive) and the Pachyderm (LaBrea Tar Pits, methinks)
Eagle Rock

I can't get this to crack 100 miles. I'll be charitable and call it 200 to allow for wandering around and my route inaccuracies. I don't see 500 happening.

So I ask you, Cali goons past and present, ever clock 500 miles in a day and never leave LA?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Los Angeles is goddamn huge holy gently caress.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
If you expand that to the county, 500 miles is easy peasy, https://www.google.com/maps/place/Los+Angeles+County,+CA/@34.2997534,-118.2499352,10z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x80dd2ad30164cd31:0x837d28d6cfbd392a look at that huge area, including a very large amount of mountain roads. The route you posted barely leaves LA city proper except for not going back and forth on the long beach corridor

*edit: here's 439 miles before google decided I can't modify the route any more and I didn't even finish my route https://goo.gl/maps/fpEKG 11 hours haha

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 9, 2015

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Jesus, all the cities fit inside LA proper:

http://laist.com/2012/06/30/map_how_many_major_us_cities_can_fi.php

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Not Atlanta.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Marv Hushman posted:

You gave him a Rickenbacker, awesome.

With that headstock, it's definitely a metal-neck Kramer.

Also I hella totally want one.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Slavvy posted:

Los Angeles is goddamn huge holy gently caress.

And all of it a barren hellscape.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Shelvocke posted:

And all of it a barren hellscape.

And then you visit Kansas.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I dislike green belt legislation for a lot of reasons, mainly because it's used by provincial NIMYistas to prevent them ever having to see an ethnic person, but when I look at LA I thank God that London never achieved the level of urban sprawl than 1950s planners had in mind before the green belt was created. When you go to the few areas where they actually got their way (Westway, the A102. Park Royal, etc) it's like you've been transported to some weird Fallout-esque post-apocalyptic universe except instead of nuclear bombs the war was fought with concrete mixers. Or, as we like to call it in the UK, Birmingham.

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/articles/ringways/ is a fairly interesting read about the most-developed of these plans, and even these guys (who get very excited about the Guildford System of road signage) acknowledge it was a lunatic plan. Some of the immediate post-war plans (including extending the M1 all the way to Marble Arch and making the entire Inner Ring a motorway) were even more ridiculous, and would have destroyed more homes than the loving Luftwaffe managed..

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I dislike green belt legislation for a lot of reasons, mainly because it's used by provincial NIMYistas to prevent them ever having to see an ethnic person, but when I look at LA I thank God that London never achieved the level of urban sprawl than 1950s planners had in mind before the green belt was created. When you go to the few areas where they actually got their way (Westway, the A102. Park Royal, etc) it's like you've been transported to some weird Fallout-esque post-apocalyptic universe except instead of nuclear bombs the war was fought with concrete mixers. Or, as we like to call it in the UK, Birmingham.

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/articles/ringways/ is a fairly interesting read about the most-developed of these plans, and even these guys (who get very excited about the Guildford System of road signage) acknowledge it was a lunatic plan. Some of the immediate post-war plans (including extending the M1 all the way to Marble Arch and making the entire Inner Ring a motorway) were even more ridiculous, and would have destroyed more homes than the loving Luftwaffe managed..

Managed to pull myself back from the brink of reading everything on that website...barely.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I've got a serious problem where I can't seem to keep the same bike for more than 3 months. In the last year, I've had a Goldwing, SV650, and now a DRZ-400. Now I'm eyeballing 919's on CL.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Buy something fun and keep it for a while then.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Dutymode posted:

I've got a serious problem where I can't seem to keep the same bike for more than 3 months. In the last year, I've had a Goldwing, SV650, and now a DRZ-400. Now I'm eyeballing 919's on CL.

A 919 won't cure that problem.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Dutymode posted:

I owned 60 something bikes before I settled down. Gotta do what you gotta do, man.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

I owned 60 something bikes before I settled down. Gotta do what you gotta do, man.

'settled down'
Now tell him how many bikes you have now :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

'settled down'
Now tell him how many bikes you have now :v:

2!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

You hit the shift key while typing that 1, dude.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

El Jebus posted:

You hit the shift key while typing that 1, dude.

That's two factorial, which looks greater than two.

Business majors, you're obligated to cite the law of diminishing marginal utility to help a brother out here...

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Finally, my degree is useful for something!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
And then there's 2?, for which you multiply by every number including the zero.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just changed the oil on my CTX700 today. I swapped out the stock oil for Rotella T Synthetic at 300 miles, and it's running the same thing now at 6,100 miles.

I was still within the dipstick limits at 6,100 miles with ZERO oil topoffs, and it was still brown instead of pitch black. I love this boring bike.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Managed to pull myself back from the brink of reading everything on that website...barely.

I'll add "Send Z3n a link to http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/ to get rid of him for an extended period of time" to the weaknesses column in my goons.xls

captainOrbital posted:

And then there's 2?, for which you multiply by every number including the zero.

Please don't post my employer's performance-review system.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'll add "Send Z3n a link to http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/ to get rid of him for an extended period of time" to the weaknesses column in my goons.xls

Don't kinkshame please

Also it is my cross to bear that no one would ever believe me that I only own 2 bikes right now.

Sure, there's like 15 bikes in the garage but nearly all of them aren't mine!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
What about under the house?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

conveniently the wifes. :D

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

cursedshitbox posted:

conveniently the wifes. :D

"Wives" ?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The wife is under the house and you keep the bikes in the garage?

Creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Titles aren't in my name, doesn't count!