Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah the biggest problem is that most of the recognizable superhero women in Marvel are members of the X-Men and they can't be part of the MCU because Fox still owns the license for that property.

I'm still hoping the villains become more interesting in Ninninger. ToQger's saving grace was that the villain faction was incredibly interesting and cool even though the heroes were mostly dull. Tsugimori almost seems like he's going to be interesting with how he called out Kyuuemon in his debut, but I'm not sure how much mileage we'll get out of that. The show's seemingly going the "resurrect one general at a time" route which is pretty disappointing since it limits how much interaction there is with the villains. And even that wouldn't be so bad if the villains were more interesting. The beginning of Go-Busters after all was basically just Enter by himself, with occasional scenes of him talking to Messiah, and it was perfectly fine because he was an interesting character.

he wasn't all that deep either, but drat could he chew scenery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm still hoping the villains become more interesting in Ninninger. ToQger's saving grace was that the villain faction was incredibly interesting and cool even though the heroes were mostly dull. Tsugimori almost seems like he's going to be interesting with how he called out Kyuuemon in his debut, but I'm not sure how much mileage we'll get out of that. The show's seemingly going the "resurrect one general at a time" route which is pretty disappointing since it limits how much interaction there is with the villains. And even that wouldn't be so bad if the villains were more interesting. The beginning of Go-Busters after all was basically just Enter by himself, with occasional scenes of him talking to Messiah, and it was perfectly fine because he was an interesting character.

There have been a couple of Sentai shows where they've used rotating villains well, Gaoranger only had one Highness Duke Org active at a time (until the ending) and Goseiger rotated villain factions every time they were beaten. The key is the focal villain or villains who don't change, Gaoranger had Tsuetsue and Yabaiba and Goseiger had Bladerun/Brazil, so right now the question for Ninninger is what they'll do with Kyuemon.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah I'm sure everyone is familiar with the Paul Dini interview where he says that Cartoon Network canceled Young Justice for the reason that "girls don't buy the same toys as the boys" and since there were "too many girls watching" that meant the show was a failure.

I thought the major reason YJ was canceled was because CN couldn't get retailers to even accept YJ merch because retailers still had crap from other failed DC movies (e.g., Green Lantern)?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

V-Men posted:

I thought the major reason YJ was canceled was because CN couldn't get retailers to even accept YJ merch because retailers still had crap from other failed DC movies (e.g., Green Lantern)?

That's one reason, another is that despite being owned by the same people, DC and CN hate the living crap out of each other, there's a reason that DC has been focusing on LA TV shows and Direct to DVD movies the last couple of years, it's so they don't have to deal with CN's crap outside of Teen Titans GO(which is way too successful and popular for CN to get rid of)

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Finished OOO!

This is a series whose central theme is the conflict between desire and nihilism, and between "proper" desire and "bad" desire. The personal relationship plots revolve around trust. Everything has an aesthetic based on vending machines and random wildlife, because it's tokusatsu and why not.

Was impressed with it as a toku series, because the ending didn't feel rushed nor anticlimactic, and there's a proper payoff for every single subplot that they tease throughout the series. People say the middle is a slog, but even the episodes that don't advance the main plot meaningfully still are great toku episodes, I thought.

Something weird happens with the fight scenes from episode 30 on. Before this point, fight choreography is virtually nonexistent and every fight relies basically on special effects. After this point, there's a jarring change: special effects get toned down and fight scenes gain interesting choreography, camera work and fighting styles. There appears, for instance, at least one suit actor whose flying kicks looks stunning, and at least one with a background in pro-wrestling. Quality of fight scenes improves manifold after that.

Characters are all great. Ankh is wonderful. The double personality thing can turn out very cheesy but that actor can sell it like hell, he really looks like two different people. Dr. Maki's reveal is great because it instantly transforms what you think is going to be an eccentric character with a predictable story arc into a genuinely disturbing villain. Date is great, Gotou, Hina and Chiyoku play their role well, Satonaka and Cakeboss are incredible. Human Greeeds are poor but not offensively bad.

Found the suits ugly in general. The modular gimmick of OOO grew old very quickly, because they do nothing truly interesting with it. The Greeeds look the best, with the exception of the final boss Greeeds (flying pyramid Uva and dino-Maki) which could have more an "ultimate foe" feel to them.

The series is better on an episode-by-episode basis rather than as a cohesive whole, because even though all plots get resolved the central themes of desire and trust are explored kind of confusingly. There's also a waste of resources: the lion bike and the green combo get used I think a grand total of two times.

Overall, found it very fun. Some great episodes sprinkled throughout, and a satisfying ending. I loved how the very epilogue of the series is teased all throughout by the opening credits.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm glad you liked OOO! It was my first KR series that I actually finished.

What's next on the agenda? Fourze?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cyphoderus posted:

There's also a waste of resources: the lion bike and the green combo get used I think a grand total of two times.

There was some budget problems, that's why they only got used a couple times each.

If you haven't watched the movie yet (OOO Wonderful: The Shogun and the 21 Core Medals), I recommend checking it out. GataKiriBa (the green combo) gets a pretty awesome moment near the end.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I was watching Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno yesterday and Ryosuke Miura, the guy who plays Ankh in OOO, stars in areally great extended fight scene.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm glad you liked OOO! It was my first KR series that I actually finished.

What's next on the agenda? Fourze?

Either Fourze or W. I'm thinking W, because everyone says it's so good and I cannot take the pointy head Fourze suit seriously at all. Since when has the Kamen Rider franchise started pretending it's not about karate bugmen but about karate somethingelsemen instead?

Dexie posted:

There was some budget problems, that's why they only got used a couple times each.

If you haven't watched the movie yet (OOO Wonderful: The Shogun and the 21 Core Medals), I recommend checking it out. GataKiriBa (the green combo) gets a pretty awesome moment near the end.

Maybe the budget problem is responsible for the shift from special-effects based fights to human choreography based ones?

Good to know the movie's good. They kept teasing all the movies in the opening credits and all three of them looked surprisingly fun but you never know whether they live up to the expectation.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cyphoderus posted:

Either Fourze or W. I'm thinking W, because everyone says it's so good and I cannot take the pointy head Fourze suit seriously at all. Since when has the Kamen Rider franchise started pretending it's not about karate bugmen but about karate somethingelsemen instead?

Amazon. So, 1974.

Also Amazon and Fourze have a pretty cool crossover, and Fourze is overall a really good series. So is W. Either is a good choice to watch.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Blaze Dragon posted:

Amazon. So, 1974.

Also Amazon and Fourze have a pretty cool crossover, and Fourze is overall a really good series. So is W. Either is a good choice to watch.

What crossover is that

Cyphoderus posted:

I mean just looking at heisei shows? Ryuki, Kiva, Decade, Hibiki, plus the post-Decade shows. Turns out poo poo is alright when you aren't slavishly beholden to a show from 1970something

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Den-O isn't really all that bugman either.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Literally The Worst posted:

What crossover is that

Kamen Rider Fourze Hyper Battle DVD: Rocket Drill States of Friendship, in which your success is determined entirely by which friendship handshake you do.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cyphoderus posted:

Watch W, then Fourze. There's payoff for watching W and OOO before Fourze in the OOO/Fourze crossover movie.

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

Fourze was my first rider because I liked the suit so much.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

Den-O isn't really all that bugman either.

I knew I was missing something.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Cyphoderus posted:

I was watching Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno yesterday and Ryosuke Miura, the guy who plays Ankh in OOO, stars in areally great extended fight scene.

Coincidentally that's Kamen Rider Den-O's actor as Battosai.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If it helps, Fourze does not take itself at all seriously, either.

But yeah, watch W first.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I know the helmet on Fourze is a little weird, it was kind of shocking at first when pictures leaked, but honestly when you watch the show you'll forget how odd it looks, and even grow used to it after a bit. Give the show a chance to grow on you, it's really good.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I know the helmet on Fourze is a little weird, it was kind of shocking at first when pictures leaked, but honestly when you watch the show you'll forget how odd it looks, and even grow used to it after a bit. Give the show a chance to grow on you, it's really good.

Echoing this as well. My first reaction was "A high school setting? Man, this will get stupid quickly." A few episodes in and I was hooked though.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
So I recently finished Gaim which was my first kamen rider series, well besides Dragon knight. Can anyone recommend me some more series? Also Drive looks like a fun show from the preview in Gaim, how is it?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Drive is pretty fun but it's very different from Gaim. Gaim is a bit nonindicative of the current crop of KR series in that it's a serial drama dominated by a consistent story arc while most other series are episodic. For all its faults, it's basically a better-written throwback to the 2001-2010 style of Kamen Rider, and even the "Rider" bit is kind of vestigal.

Since Double/W, shows have been generally more lighthearted with largely, though not entirely, self-contained biweekly stories. In fact this format was so successful in Double that it kind of became the new formula, one that Gaim's writers deliberately eschewed and that Drive more or less embraces. Drive's main writer was also the main writer for Double.

I'd recommend giving Drive a shot, it's funny with just a hint of self-awareness from its lead. Early Tomari's kind of a smartass to the monsters, it's great. When Mach gets introduced the sillyness gets spread around and he takes up the role of the somewhat more straight-laced senior Rider, but as the cast is generally very bubbly and energetic it's better when everyone gets to bounce off each other.

As you can probably guess I also recommend Double because it's just fantastic overall. I'd rank it as the best of the modern Rider shows and it sets the tone for most of the franchise post-aughties.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
As far as Older Rider goes, as goddamn, Kuuga is closer to twenty years old than not at this point, Kamen Rider Kuuga is likely the best 'total package' of the 2000s era. It just has some style stuff that if you can't get into it, you're not going to be able to.

Key among those is that it sticks to its guns pretty hardcore, even to the detriment of the show in my opinion. It has a very down to earth, gritty realistic feel to it, as far as you could possibly go in a show like this anyways. The fight scenes are very raw and about as not flashy as possible, the themes of escalation of power and why that's a terrible thing but also necessary are apart of the soul of the show, the villains are really, really subdued...

I really enjoy it, but it's a draining show just because of how Not Fun it can be.

If you want to take a dip into Old School Rider but don't mind the general plot set up of Sentai, Kamen Rider Black is a unique viewing experience. It's got a very heavy story, a consistent, high energy style, and super colorful and awesome monsters. It also has a lot of MOTW stuff in between the story episodes, but it's not so bad if you're used to how television used to be made in the 80s and 90s, or how Sentai tends to be in general.

And if you really do not mind super dated even for the time effects, Kamen Rider V3 is the single best Kamen Rider series ever made bar none. It's just amazing and beautiful and entirely straight faced and sincere even as it pulls the dumbest bullshit out of its rear end.

That's one thing I adore about Rider that tends to be lost. If you're going to have just really stupid, silly things happen, like the MOTW being disguised as a baby, don't play it up as a joke. It's already weird and silly as hell- play it entirely sincerely. YES THAT MONSTER CERTAINLY WAS A BABY. That's something V3 does and it's glorious.

We have one episode of V3 that goes from a somber, down to earth moment where V3 and Rider Man are discussing revenge VS justice and what each have lost due to the villains, Rider Man having lost his friends and his arm, V3 having lost his entire family and his human body-and then we go to V3 disguised as one of the foot soldiers, who have open masks that reveal their human eyes and mouths, WHILE TRANSFORMED INTO V3.

It's glorious and unashamed. Just as Toku should be.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If you really want another series that's kinda really campy, and definitely has its flaws, but is still kinda dark, and really grounded, with some really good characters, you might actually want to give one of the older KRs a shot. Kamen Rider Black, especially, is the ultimate intersection of "pretty dark for a kid's show", "campy as all hell" and "really loving good".

Edit Burkion is right, though. V3 and Kuuga are also at this intersection, which one is the "best" is based totally on personal preference.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 9, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

If you really want another series that's kinda really campy, and definitely has its flaws, but is still kinda dark, and really grounded, with some really good characters, you might actually want to give one of the older KRs a shot. Kamen Rider Black, especially, is the ultimate intersection of "pretty dark for a kid's show", "campy as all hell" and "really loving good".

Edit Burkion is right, though. V3 and Kuuga are also at this intersection, which one is the "best" is based totally on personal preference.

Oh yeah, definitely.

Black and Kuuga are pretty much tied for me for second place- Kuuga is more driven by its themes and arguably better made, while Black is just really goddamn fun and entertaining with superior villains.

V3 takes both and shoves 'em into a blender in the way only the 70s could manage, which is how it wins out for me personally.

On the total flip side of all of that, Ultraman Nexus is, sadly cut short ending aside, just one of the best tokusatsu ever made and deserves more love than it gets, and the Garo franchise in general is pretty drat good for a non Toei/Tusburaya production.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
Thanks for the input, ill give Drive and Double a watch and then maybe go back and check out V3 or black.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Quincytbb posted:

Thanks for the input, ill give Drive and Double a watch and then maybe go back and check out V3 or black.

Black you shouldn't have any problems with, effects wise- honestly a few of the monsters look better than they do even now. Decade's attempt to remake the Rhino Mutant didn't work nearly as well as the original prop for whatever reason.

V3 however, I will warn, is REALLY low budget looking. I adore it despite, or even because of, that, but you have to keep that in mind. We're talking Classic Doctor Who budget here.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Since Double/W, shows have been generally more lighthearted with largely, though not entirely, self-contained biweekly stories.

The two episode format actually started with Decade. I feel it worked really well in Double but honestly it's started to become a little grating, which is why I was glad Gaim did away with it. I feel like the two episode format is probably going to be how Rider is from now on though. It's not enough to upset me but I do wish they weren't so committed to it.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

The two episode format actually started with Decade. I feel it worked really well in Double but honestly it's started to become a little grating, which is why I was glad Gaim did away with it. I feel like the two episode format is probably going to be how Rider is from now on though. It's not enough to upset me but I do wish they weren't so committed to it.

Decade may have adhered to it pretty strictly, but it shows up a lot as early as Ryuki, and kicks in full force around Den-O. On the one hand, the split can be a bit grating on occasion, but I do appreciate that it allows for more complicated plots of the fortnight than Sentai (I really don't like Sentai episodes that are over half fight scene - I tend to get bored halfway through.) Mind you, they don't always take advantage of that extra space...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Anyone who hasn't watched Drive yet, we're about ten-ish episodes from the end now. That's either enough time to catch up and experience the final stretch in "real time" with the rest of the thread, or to watch something else and ride it out, if you're like me and are a little gunshy about promising series that really fumble the home stretch.

That's... a pretty common trend in tokusatsu, being honest.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And Gaim was just on the tip of a discussion earlier.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Poison Mushroom posted:

Anyone who hasn't watched Drive yet, we're about ten-ish episodes from the end now. That's either enough time to catch up and experience the final stretch in "real time" with the rest of the thread, or to watch something else and ride it out, if you're like me and are a little gunshy about promising series that really fumble the home stretch.

That's... a pretty common trend in tokusatsu, being honest.

I'm feeling way more optimistic about Drive at this point than I was about, say, Wizard or Gaim. The latest episode felt kind of rushed, but I was quite satisfied with how everything resolved. The payoff on Gou's little adventure was really good, and despite being a little shoehorned into there, I really liked how they resolved Tomari and 001.

Also, the fact that Heart keeps Brain around when he's such a major weenie is a true testament to the depth of his friendship. I want to be your friend, too, Heart-Sempai :qq:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

And Gaim was just on the tip of a discussion earlier.
Honestly, I wasn't really thinking of Gaim. The actual last episode was really pointless, of course, but the "real" finale was at least entertaining, if a little inconsistent.

I mean, right up until the really bad fake stab that kills Kaito, the actual fight was really entertaining and pretty cool.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I kinda feel like the last ten or so episodes of Gaim started to fall apart a bit, since Kaito up until that point hadn't really been sold as "final boss" material. He was too sympathetic for most of the show's run, even when he was ostensibly working for the badguys, and his justification for fighting Kouta felt a bit like a stretch. Like they were being smushed together for a final confrontation in a Toshiki Inoue-esque contrivance. They sort of burned through their remaining villain candidates pretty quickly in the final stretch, either eliminating or outright discrediting them, and so all they were left with was Kaito. Who was probably supposed to be the villain all along, but he was just too much of a, well, friend to really sell it and the tragedy of friends being forced to fight was undercut by it feeling a little forced. And Yoko felt a lot like a victim of said contrivance, which also soured me on the last arc of the story.

A friend of mine described it this way: it would've been more stereotypical if instead of being the final boss, he were the post-final boss who had one last bout with Kouta. And instead of a tragic fight to the death, they would've fought as friendly rivals, because all of the real world-ending stakes would have already been dealt with. And sometimes I wonder if that might've been better, maybe if the final boss were Helheim itself. That's an idea Burkion floated after the ending and I can't help but take his side on that.

But that's exactly not the sort of theme what Urobuchi wanted or even his style, and if things had gone that way we wouldn't get to enjoy jokes like Tomari flippantly referring to Kouta as "God" in their crossover. Not that I've seen the movie, mind, it's just that when I think of Tomari calling someone that, he couldn't be anything but flippant.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Burkion posted:

As far as Older Rider goes, as goddamn, Kuuga is closer to twenty years old than not at this point, Kamen Rider Kuuga is likely the best 'total package' of the 2000s era. It just has some style stuff that if you can't get into it, you're not going to be able to.

Key among those is that it sticks to its guns pretty hardcore, even to the detriment of the show in my opinion. It has a very down to earth, gritty realistic feel to it, as far as you could possibly go in a show like this anyways. The fight scenes are very raw and about as not flashy as possible, the themes of escalation of power and why that's a terrible thing but also necessary are apart of the soul of the show, the villains are really, really subdued...

I really enjoy it, but it's a draining show just because of how Not Fun it can be.

If you want to take a dip into Old School Rider but don't mind the general plot set up of Sentai, Kamen Rider Black is a unique viewing experience. It's got a very heavy story, a consistent, high energy style, and super colorful and awesome monsters. It also has a lot of MOTW stuff in between the story episodes, but it's not so bad if you're used to how television used to be made in the 80s and 90s, or how Sentai tends to be in general.

And if you really do not mind super dated even for the time effects, Kamen Rider V3 is the single best Kamen Rider series ever made bar none. It's just amazing and beautiful and entirely straight faced and sincere even as it pulls the dumbest bullshit out of its rear end.

That's one thing I adore about Rider that tends to be lost. If you're going to have just really stupid, silly things happen, like the MOTW being disguised as a baby, don't play it up as a joke. It's already weird and silly as hell- play it entirely sincerely. YES THAT MONSTER CERTAINLY WAS A BABY. That's something V3 does and it's glorious.

We have one episode of V3 that goes from a somber, down to earth moment where V3 and Rider Man are discussing revenge VS justice and what each have lost due to the villains, Rider Man having lost his friends and his arm, V3 having lost his entire family and his human body-and then we go to V3 disguised as one of the foot soldiers, who have open masks that reveal their human eyes and mouths, WHILE TRANSFORMED INTO V3.

It's glorious and unashamed. Just as Toku should be.

I have to agree 99% with Burk here, V3 is my personal favorite, and though I agree that it's super freaking cheezy, I gotta disagree with the low-budget comment...er...mostly. Yes, they were on a strict budget, but they really pulled it out when it came to the monster designs and costumes. Toad Boiler springs to mind instantly as one of the great costumes that were put together on clearly a shoestring budget.

What I'm saying is: Watch V3.

Then watch Zuubat. Because Zuubat IS V3. It's the only explanation on how he can survive so many fatal incidents.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Then watch Zuubat. Because Zuubat IS V3. It's the only explanation on how he can survive so many fatal incidents.

Everyone knows the true canon is that V3 became Zubat and then retired to run the Ohrangers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

Everyone knows the true canon is that V3 became Zubat and then retired to run the Ohrangers.

And somewhere in there he was AoRanger and Big One as well.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Ninninger was....good? And like really good? What a weird concept.

It's like they're learning.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ToQger shared some of Nin's problems: a not-so-engaging start, a kind of obnoxious center-of-attention Red, and a less interesting main cast than previous seasons. But it managed to pull off a strong second half and a great ending. I'm hoping we can expect the same from Ninninger too since it's been getting better lately, and because personally I've yet to watch a Sentai I didn't end up enjoying a lot and I want to keep that goin'.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That was a really good Ninninger episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I also appreciate that they aren't just saying 'Oh Kasumi you're surprisingly competent' and leaving it at that, but instead going 'no she's flat out the best'.

• Locked thread