Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

LingcodKilla posted:

Could be as little as simply doing better in all three categories than your previous sat attempts. That would at least motivate the people who have no chance to be the top 10% because 18-20yrs are loving jackrabbits.

What's that saying? Youth is wasted on the young?

Also, I started looking up multi-limb amputees from OEF/OIF and how some are still within standards but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

germskr posted:

Pneumonic, obviously I don't know you but are you honestly telling me that you feel pity/sorrow for folks who can't do the above, or even the slower SATISFACTORY and pass their bi-annual PRT?

No man, your post just seemed to be super angry at all the fatty fat fats and I thought it was funny in a why do you care sort of way. I read it in the voice of our cfl who says things like "the mile and a half is a sprint!" etc.

The Navy is loving retarded when it comes to pt in my opinion. The newest instruction says that you must be afforded pt time during the work WEEK, not work DAY which is a lovely way of saying gently caress you work ten hours and also go do some stretch band garbage.

I guess the more I think about it the more I'm angry at the people that have taken advantage of "go pt on your own" so now I have to do mountain climbers and suicides instead of going to the gym and doing regular runs around the base. I've always been against the bullshit "you can't let your people fail" saying. Why the gently caress not? Why can't I let the dumb fats get kicked out? Oh, because it will affect a loving fitrep.

Ugh way to make me get all care postey. Whatever, six more months of this poo poo until the reserves.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

germskr posted:

My last command did this- prescribed 07-0830ish as departmental/command/individual PT on a POD basis. It was abused to all poo poo, where most people would go get breakfast or go sleep in their cars. We still had a lot of people fail both PRT and weigh in (as Sir Lucius points out) due to lovely diet habits. I'm 100% with you when you say they should change the galley, but my base didn't have a galley. Hence my (slightly) over the top bread and water comment.

As Lingcodkilla points out, there's no incentive to do well on the PRT. I'm not saying medals and awards are the way to go either, but Lt Col. (retired) David Grossman frequently used an example that good shooting scores in the old Army would get a liberty pass. Maybe a 24 hour special lib to the top 10%? I dunno or maybe just personal pride/professionalism, but when you look at current "leaders" in the fleet and how seriously they take PT (just look at that beer belly hanging over the gig line), it's no wonder junior sailors don't give a poo poo. If you're injured (temp/perm) and have it documented, cool. But if you're unmotivated to do a little bit of the leg work to meet the standards for a job you volunteered for, I have no sympathy when you get separated because you're fat or can't do the little bit of cardio/upper body/core exercises the Navy asks.

I would venture that most people, when they volunteered for the Navy, assumed that there would be some sort of structure/culture that was conducive to fitness.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
basically in an organization where 100+ hour work weeks are common and accepted, I refuse to put blame on the sailors that don't find time to work out and cook nutritious meals for themselves in the 9 hours between when they leave work and when they have to show up again the next day. Sailors will care about what their leaders prioritize, and leaders don't prioritize fitness because physical fitness has essentially zero to do with job capability for almost all sailors (FMF corpsmen etc excepted). Poor fitness is almost entirely a systemic problem and not one with the people in the system.

"Sorry Admiral, I can't get the ship to sea in that timeframe because I'm spending 1000 man hours per week on organized PT, and cutting that down simply isn't an option." said no captain ever

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Cerekk posted:

basically in an organization where 100+ hour work weeks are common and accepted, I refuse to put blame on the sailors that don't find time to work out and cook nutritious meals for themselves in the 9 hours between when they leave work and when they have to show up again the next day. Sailors will care about what their leaders prioritize, and leaders don't prioritize fitness because physical fitness has essentially zero to do with job capability for almost all sailors (FMF corpsmen etc excepted). Poor fitness is almost entirely a systemic problem and not one with the people in the system.

"Sorry Admiral, I can't get the ship to sea in that timeframe because I'm spending 1000 man hours per week on organized PT, and cutting that down simply isn't an option." said no captain ever

Absolutely this.

I forgot to rail against the really dumb BCA measurement system earlier. One of our CFLs is at 21% according to the Navy and another dude is at 20%. Both of these guys are cut and can blow almost everyone else in our division out of the water during any kind of physical activity. Then we've got FC2 'eats gummi worms and drinks 6 code reds a day' who looks like he's 60 goddamn years old but weighs like 130 so of course he's perfectly fine and not at all a detriment to anyone on a ship. The PRT/PFA should be cuirtailed to what the majority of sailors do, it should center around shipboard responses and poo poo. You should have to don full fire fighting equipment and head to the bridge. You should have to grab a dummy and get it out of a space. poo poo like that, poo poo that would actually matter and would save lives.

Of course if the Navy did that 70% of the force would fail.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

So... You going to put a sticker on your back window or what?

Nah, I don't do car stickers.

And I don't do endurance runs. A lot of people seem to get some pleasure out of running for hours but man I just do not. Running that long, my heart rate doesn't get too high so I don't feel like I had a great workout I just feel like I slogged through miles of increasingly painful muscles and joints. 5k is where it's at.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

germskr posted:

If you're injured (temp/perm) and have it documented, cool.

Nah, I call bullshit on this. If you're injured you can still decide what you do and don't eat. There is 0 reason anyone should be fat, you can't gain more weight than calories you consume. We should be teaching this to sailors so they can explain it to their obese tricare-leeching wives. Seriously though, do half the people in the military have a fat fetish or something?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sir Lucius posted:

Nah, I call bullshit on this. If you're injured you can still decide what you do and don't eat. There is 0 reason anyone should be fat, you can't gain more weight than calories you consume. We should be teaching this to sailors so they can explain it to their obese tricare-leeching wives. Seriously though, do half the people in the military have a fat fetish or something?

It probably has more to do with sugar being loaded into everything labelled fat free tbh.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cerekk posted:

I would venture that most people, when they volunteered for the Navy, assumed that there would be some sort of structure/culture that was conducive to fitness.

Last cycle my reserve unit had 6 failures. I got put as CFL. I started doing unofficial BCAs, required people on FEP to keep nutrition and workout logs, ran good varied PT sessions and this cycle we had 1 failure and he was brand new. It's almost as if putting leadership priorities in the area helps. Not that the surface Navy knows anything about that, though.
But still, I see these people two days a month and just having someone in the unit who pushes fitness made a huge difference.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

Last cycle my reserve unit had 6 failures. I got put as CFL. I started doing unofficial BCAs, required people on FEP to keep nutrition and workout logs, ran good varied PT sessions and this cycle we had 1 failure and he was brand new. It's almost as if putting leadership priorities in the area helps. Not that the surface Navy knows anything about that, though.
But still, I see these people two days a month and just having someone in the unit who pushes fitness made a huge difference.

So for two days a month you just do PT with them or...? It seems odd that you'd be able to influence reservists since you never see them.

Sub side doesn't seem to know anything about fitness either, every sub rerate we get is enormous.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

germskr posted:

David Grossman frequently used an example that good shooting scores in the old Army would get a liberty pass. Maybe a 24 hour special lib to the top 10%?

When I had my CFL gig, I convinced the CO to give 24/48/72 hour liberty chits to Good/Excellent/Outstanding PRT's. Our bare minimum Satisfactory dudes put out a bit more effort and our Good+ numbers improved quite a bit.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PneumonicBook posted:

So for two days a month you just do PT with them or...? It seems odd that you'd be able to influence reservists since you never see them.

Sub side doesn't seem to know anything about fitness either, every sub rerate we get is enormous.

Just letting them know that the command gives a poo poo, plus making them actually track and take responsibility for their fitness did a lot.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
It's very difficult to fake nutrition logs. If someone is overweight then their log should show that. If it says they only eat 2000 calories a day and they haven't lost any weight after a month then you know they are liars, or need more instruction on how to count.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Whole bunch of people mad about PT in this thread.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I, too, hate fat people, but I don't care enough to care.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I used to not care, but http://stateofobesity.org/adult-obesity/
It's not just a matter of we notice fat people more now that TLC has all their programming dedicated to them. It's become a real problem and is going to financially and literally crush our healthcare system.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Social Darwinism rules though.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
btw, The Measure of a Man is the best episode of Star Trek: TNG

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Sir Lucius posted:

btw, The Measure of a Man is the best episode of Star Trek: TNG

Yeah, it's loving great.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

I just want weight lifting to be a part of the PRT/PT sessions. I imagine it would be a whole lot better to know the people around you could carry you out of a dangerous situation if it arises rather than someone doing 125 push ups and struggle lifting a 140 lb mannequin.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Pandasmores posted:

I just want weight lifting to be a part of the PRT/PT sessions. I imagine it would be a whole lot better to know the people around you could carry you out of a dangerous situation if it arises rather than someone doing 125 push ups and struggle lifting a 140 lb mannequin.

CFLs can barely run calistenics properly. Having them run a lifting program would result in the entire Navy on LIMDU.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

DustyNuts posted:

When I had my CFL gig, I convinced the CO to give 24/48/72 hour liberty chits to Good/Excellent/Outstanding PRT's. Our bare minimum Satisfactory dudes put out a bit more effort and our Good+ numbers improved quite a bit.

My command does that as well, because they care about fitness. They also made 3.4 plus on the CTE get you a special lib chit and that has helped improve morale here as well. Honestly this place is great I like my ship, but I am honestly blessed to be on it to be honest.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Ryand-Smith posted:

My command does that as well, because they care about fitness. They also made 3.4 plus on the CTE get you a special lib chit and that has helped improve morale here as well. Honestly this place is great I like my ship, but I am honestly blessed to be on it to be honest.

someone drank the kool-aid

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
One of us. One of us. One of us.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
nuke Stockholm syndrome

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Ryand-Smith posted:

He's close to the edge, convincing himself.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Boon posted:

One of us. One of us. One of us.

gooble gobble, gooble gobble

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
what do you guys know about the Riverines?

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

green pants, black boots

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Arione posted:

green pants, black boots

i see. Cause they want me to join this new riverine squadron here and I know jack poo poo about em

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

i see. Cause they want me to join this new riverine squadron here and I know jack poo poo about em

What's your rate? Which coast? Generally speaking, I'd say don't do it unless you want a few pics of yourself wearing the cool guy cammies holding a bunch of different guns that you'll never get to use.

In all seriousness, unless a war breaks out tomorrow with a country that has many inland water ways, their mission set is kind of useless so now they do harbor patrol missionsjin forward deployed AOs. PM me for more info.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Arione posted:

green pants, black boots

That's some seabee and acu.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

germskr posted:

What's your rate? Which coast? Generally speaking, I'd say don't do it unless you want a few pics of yourself wearing the cool guy cammies holding a bunch of different guns that you'll never get to use.

In all seriousness, unless a war breaks out tomorrow with a country that has many inland water ways, their mission set is kind of useless so now they do harbor patrol missionsjin forward deployed AOs. PM me for more info.

I'm an IS, and west coast. I guess the one I'd be joining deploys to Guam and some Mid East spots, also they do rimpac

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
is this how the navy works

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

I'm an IS, and west coast. I guess the one I'd be joining deploys to Guam and some Mid East spots, also they do rimpac

You can either try to find fun doing that or become another boring CVIC/JIC IS like the rest of us.

terrez posted:

is this how the navy works

[timg]snip[/timg]

1 weird trick to get promoted, senior enlisted HATE it!

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
So I get a call from detailer last night. He says I'm getting rolled early to FCO school and wants me to start next monday. Fuuuuuu...

I guess leave all my poo poo here and then try to move out after completing training? He said he'll try to work an I stop in so I can take care of this. Anybody ever deal with this before?

Also still haven't done the PRT yet for this cycle. Am I hosed if I go to Dahlgren without completing the PRT with my parent command? Should I push COC here to do it for me?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Howard Phillips posted:

So I get a call from detailer last night. He says I'm getting rolled early to FCO school and wants me to start next monday. Fuuuuuu...

I guess leave all my poo poo here and then try to move out after completing training? He said he'll try to work an I stop in so I can take care of this. Anybody ever deal with this before?

Also still haven't done the PRT yet for this cycle. Am I hosed if I go to Dahlgren without completing the PRT with my parent command? Should I push COC here to do it for me?

You shouldn't be screwed on the PRT simply because of rotation. You get time around a PCS where you're exempted, iirc, but it's been forever since I looked at a PRT instruction.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

They took away the TAD exemption for the PRT. You absolutely need to have your CFL run a PRT for you because Dhalgren will be a bag of dicks about it and you'll be the only one who pays for it in the end.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ManMythLegend posted:

They took away the TAD exemption for the PRT. You absolutely need to have your CFL run a PRT for you because Dhalgren will be a bag of dicks about it and you'll be the only one who pays for it in the end.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

I was briefly part of a reserve NECC unit and due to restructuring, downsizing, and consolidation it was a complete clusterfuck with no clear mission, consistent chain of command, or function.

• Locked thread