Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Goddamnit, I love this thread sometimes :allears:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Thin Your Paints 2: the BTP Heresy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

This thread is bad.

But sometimes,

it can be good.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

The 40 thousand yard stare....

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

More rescue csm! Decided to try that ghostly style and went for a heavy drybrush scheme. Trying to mix in some loyalist parts and make these guys less generic than the last ones.

Not sure if theyre still too plain looking.

Details on the right shoulder pad.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

The 40 thousand year stare....

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

field balm posted:

More rescue csm! Decided to try that ghostly style and went for a heavy drybrush scheme. Trying to mix in some loyalist parts and make these guys less generic than the last ones.

I think the main part of your scheme is working, but the red shoulderpad is really throwing it off. I know that contrasting colors can be a good thing, but there's "contrasting" and there's "looks like it got swapped in from a completely different scheme." I feel like yours is the latter. It's jarring to me.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
My LGS is full of horrible grognards that only play 40k at 2000 points-per-side or higher. I've been trying to convince people to play at lower points values but have been unsuccessful thus far. Last weekend's 40k event where we had 500 point-per-side "learning" lists was an eye-opener for several of our near-apoc points level regulars. The idea of kill team games came up and I, fresh off the comedy high of painting the poop marine offered to come up with a multi-week slow grow narrative kill team campaign.

I'm looking for a couple of volunteers to read and provide feedback on an altogether too serious business and horribly implemented document, featuring the first 5 skirmishes in what I'm guessing will be a 12-16 fight series.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

koreban posted:

My LGS is full of horrible grognards that only play 40k at 2000 points-per-side or higher. I've been trying to convince people to play at lower points values but have been unsuccessful thus far. Last weekend's 40k event where we had 500 point-per-side "learning" lists was an eye-opener for several of our near-apoc points level regulars. The idea of kill team games came up and I, fresh off the comedy high of painting the poop marine offered to come up with a multi-week slow grow narrative kill team campaign.

I'm looking for a couple of volunteers to read and provide feedback on an altogether too serious business and horribly implemented document, featuring the first 5 skirmishes in what I'm guessing will be a 12-16 fight series.
I'm down. That's my sort of jam.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Von Humboldt posted:

I'm down. That's my sort of jam.

I need an email address to send to or you need PMs.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

koreban posted:

I can help with this. Hit me up with PM or at my username @gmail.com

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Honour Guard + Invisibility Librarian = decent combo if in a drop pod.

I'm definitely taking some in the Redeemer I got second hand and I'm painting up. Sponsons are towards the back of it which is a shame but I just love the look of the Redeemer so gently caress it. Flamestorm cannons erryday.

Depending on what the HQs are like now, a Chaplain might be a cheap as chips force multiplier for a squad of 5-10 Honour Guard in a Raider. Yeah its a deathstar unit, but its an efficient one in terms of bang for buck as long as you pick your battles carefully and avoid plasma and haywire (I'm looking at you, Adeptus Shitanicus)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hmm, going to have to pick up some boxes with fancy bits for my Minotaur honour guard. Always wanted to make a squad but didn't see the point of one.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Star Man posted:

Thin Your Paints 2: the BTP Heresy

Heresy for everyone!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Pro-painted, 50 USD on ebay.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Surely being able to take Honour Guard complete negates what little reason there was to take Assault Marines.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

On the subject of Honour Guard in a pod, as long as you have a decent quantity of units able to advance up the field (e.g. Rhinos, Bikes, Land Speeders) and are not dropping them on their own (so 3 pods minimum which isnt that much!) you can easily drop them into cover, protect them from LoS using the pod, and then shred the opponent's back line in subsequent turns. Remember they have Bolters I'm fairly sure, so they aren't completely sitting on their thumbs for a turn.

Just pick your targets. Interceptor plasma tau with ignores cover? no. IG veterans with ignores cover? no. Basically everything else in the game? Yes probably.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I've been painting up a bunch of old SM Captains and the like for my brother as a counts-as Honor Guard squad, are there any particular weapon restrictions on them?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm still waiting for my 100% legal copy. Is there an entry for short Imperial Army soldiers from a high grav planet?

Theres an entry for 'hi tech abhuman militia' who get +1 toughness, a 3+ armour save and +1 strength lasguns. Its about as obvious as they can make it I fear.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Soulfucker posted:

I've been painting up a bunch of old SM Captains and the like for my brother as a counts-as Honor Guard squad, are there any particular weapon restrictions on them?

No clue if they changed them, but old ones were simply power weapon of your choice minus a fist. Lance, maul, sword, or axe.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

serious gaylord posted:

Theres an entry for 'hi tech abhuman militia' who get +1 toughness, a 3+ armour save and +1 strength lasguns. Its about as obvious as they can make it I fear.

But squats either had flak or those crazy potbellystovefuckedavalkryie love child armor!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Soulfucker posted:

What we've seen indicates that they haven't been changed from 6E, so it's artificer armor, bolt pistol and bolter, and power weapon (axe/lance/maul/sword, can be swapped out for a relic blade). One of them can take a chapter banner or the Standard of the Emperor Ascendant, and the Company Champion can swap out his power weapon for a thunder hammer. No bikes.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 9, 2015

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Hobby stuff: my first attempt at water effects:

I am happy.

Also, almost finished this guy:

Not happy with the left eye and I want to do some splashy water effect poo poo. Silicon sealant is good stuff.

Also, same set-up but different camera settings:

I don't understand how this stuff works.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Finished up my Great Unclean One conversion.

Nurgle: Powered by Agrax Earthshade

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Lord Twisted posted:

On the subject of Honour Guard in a pod, as long as you have a decent quantity of units able to advance up the field (e.g. Rhinos, Bikes, Land Speeders) and are not dropping them on their own (so 3 pods minimum which isnt that much!) you can easily drop them into cover, protect them from LoS using the pod, and then shred the opponent's back line in subsequent turns. Remember they have Bolters I'm fairly sure, so they aren't completely sitting on their thumbs for a turn.

Just pick your targets. Interceptor plasma tau with ignores cover? no. IG veterans with ignores cover? no. Basically everything else in the game? Yes probably.

They don't have bolters. Only pistol/power weapon.

The battle company in the new book is getting me very excited. Free transports for everything is bonkers and it's still 60 marines (half obsec), 2 dreads and 2 characters, but with 12 pods and 2 razorbacks.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 9, 2015

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Naramyth posted:

They don't have bolters. Only pistol/power weapon.

Is that a change in the new codex? They had them as of the last one.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SRM posted:

I've been hoping for Honor Guard to get better since I have all these dudes in Errant armor and I'd love to give them power weapons and make a prohibitively expensive squad of them.7

honor guard are the best unit in codex spess mehreens so yeah making them elites is gonna be awesome

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
They also can take relic blades, and the champion can take a thunder hammer

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PierreTheMime posted:

Finished up my Great Unclean One conversion.

Nurgle: Powered by Agrax Earthshade

I like it. The green is a bit too plain though; I feel it could do with some color to break up the monotony. Picking out some of the pustules with bone or a flesh color and then doing a wash over them with Carroburg Crimson or Druchii Violet (or any red/purple wash) would give it a very gross, infected look to it. Hit'em up with a gloss after and it'll look really good. If you happen to have a purple weathering pigment, consider putting that in the crevices around the legs and armpits and just under the 'chin' area; this will give him a bruised look, which seems appropriate.

I can see where you're going with the trail of gore behind him, but it's a bit too bright. Give those a brown wash or two or, even better, use Blood for the Blood God/Tamiya Clear Red instead (for extra grungy gore, mix a tiny bit of black ink/paint on a pallet with those colors and apply it liberally).

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Mango Polo posted:

Heresy for everyone!

It's like someone was really angry while painting this... "Painted models only!? I'll show you fuckers painted models only!"

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
RIP Crusader Squads.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Seems like slight buffs all around. Imperial Fists getting Bolter Drill on the Sternguard bolters though, that poo poo's tight.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

KANTOR REJOICES!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Slimnoid posted:

I like it. The green is a bit too plain though; I feel it could do with some color to break up the monotony. Picking out some of the pustules with bone or a flesh color and then doing a wash over them with Carroburg Crimson or Druchii Violet (or any red/purple wash) would give it a very gross, infected look to it. Hit'em up with a gloss after and it'll look really good. If you happen to have a purple weathering pigment, consider putting that in the crevices around the legs and armpits and just under the 'chin' area; this will give him a bruised look, which seems appropriate.

I can see where you're going with the trail of gore behind him, but it's a bit too bright. Give those a brown wash or two or, even better, use Blood for the Blood God/Tamiya Clear Red instead (for extra grungy gore, mix a tiny bit of black ink/paint on a pallet with those colors and apply it liberally).

Thanks for the input. I will apply some of these comments, as I agree the nodes/pustules need more "pop." I really do need to pick up a bottle of BftBG, but I generally dislike adding gore to weapons so it wouldn't see much use.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

DJ Dizzy posted:

KANTOR REJOICES!

Given the way recent codexes have gone, I wouldn't be surprised if he no longer makes Sternguard troops.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

PantsOptional posted:

Is that a change in the new codex? They had them as of the last one.

Derp, I read assault marines.

I went to bugeater. Wound up getting best general in the team tourney and 4-2 in the GT, my losses were because I couldn't pick up a wraithknight on kill points or Relic. My teammate pulled second, only losing to Tyler DeVries, who was one of my losses.

In the team tourney we ran:
libby dread, ML2, pod
3x10 tac marines, melta, combi melta, heavy flamer, pods
culexus assassin, pod
farseer, bike
wraithknight
21 scatter bikes.

In the main event I ran:
sang priest, vertas vitae
5 man assault marines, 2 melta, combi melta, pod
6x10 tac marines, melta, combi melta, heavy flamer, pod
furioso dread, frag cannon, heavy flamer, pod
culexus assassin, pod
Inqusitior, termi armor, hammer, psycannon, 3x servo skulls

Not having grav was a serious problem against the two writhknights so I'm planning on swapping out the assault marines and IQ for sternguard with combigrav. The IQ tried to be a threat in CC who could jump around squads but didn't do too much. FNP off the priest was clutch several times. The dread did work in every game, picking up a ton of stuff with 3 templates, punching out bikes, and punched out an imp knight game one. Culexus single handily won me game 5 when I played against demon circus and the guy had to play way different then normal.

If I could have picked up wraithknights early I would have handily won both my games I lost, but such is life.

Some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/21Bb1

And Omg new space marine book. free transports is awesome. I'd have to do 5 mans in pods to fit everything but it's still 60 marines with 12 pods and 2 razors with 2 5+1 swings ironclads and a captain and chaplain in how I want to do this. That is bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lungboy posted:

Given the way recent codexes have gone, I wouldn't be surprised if he no longer makes Sternguard troops.
Well, he never did. He made them scoring and now it's sounding like he'll give them Objective Secured or whatever.

• Locked thread