Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The real question is if its the bad kind of good or the good kind of bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Irish Joe posted:

Thank you. You can tell a goon is bad at math and english when he describes something of "lower average quality" as "good." Well, is it lower average or good? Then he lists a majority of the episodes of the season as being "good." So, how can a majority of the episodes be "good" if they're "lower average quality"? Does that guy have any idea what he's talking about? Do words have meaning to him?

edit: in case I'm being a little esoteric, let me illustrate

I can't tell if you really are a master troll or just illiterate.

e: I really shouldn't care but this is now one of the great mysteries of the universe for me. Is it possible that someone is actually this thick? Enquiring minds need to know.

XMNN fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 8, 2015

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

XMNN posted:

I can't tell if you really are a master troll or just illiterate.

All we know is that despite the charts, he doesn't know what 'average' means.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Wait, can we send all of Irish Joe's posts to Dan Harmon and see if he'll do something with it? I'm sure he'd love it.

In terms of toplists. I love so many episodes for so many different reasons that I don't think a top ten could really do the show justice. That said, the episode that made me a fan was Debate 109.

I spent a long time at university doing competitive debating so seeing it from this perspective was genuinely hilarious to me. And it also starts Jeff and Annie, which I'm sure is just a coincidence... right?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I've decided to rewatch Community all the way through again, starting tonight :)

Let me know if I should make MS Paint charts about how high or low average I think some episodes are.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

prefect posted:

I'm working my way through the Harmontown podcasts from before I started listening, and you can hear some things that probably went straight from Dan's brain into R&M. When he talks about how much he hates "Inception" or how bad/sad it is that humans have taken wolves and turned them into lapdogs, you get the idea that he's actually writing for the show, instead of just doing whatever a producer does.

Dan Harmon's a weird dude. Why is it a bad thing that dogs domesticated themselves?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, dogs are killing it. Evolutionarily speaking they're super successful. We feed and house them and ensure their proliferation because they successfully adapted to be sympathetic and lovable. Meanwhile wolves are living paw to mouth in the cold, by and large.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Android Blues posted:

Meanwhile wolves are living paw to mouth in the cold, by and large.

Wolves?! They're biological killing machines. They aren't hunted. They don't give a gently caress what we do. They've been around for five billion more years than us. They've got a mouth full of weapons. They've got six legs.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Irish Joe posted:

Thank you. You can tell a goon is bad at math and english when he describes something of "lower average quality" as "good." Well, is it lower average or good? Then he lists a majority of the episodes of the season as being "good." So, how can a majority of the episodes be "good" if they're "lower average quality"? Does that guy have any idea what he's talking about? Do words have meaning to him?

edit: in case I'm being a little esoteric, let me illustrate

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

In It For The Tank posted:

Wolves?! They're biological killing machines. They aren't hunted. They don't give a gently caress what we do. They've been around for five billion more years than us. They've got a mouth full of weapons. They've got six legs.

They've got a kill range of six million meters and if you've seen one, you're already dead

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Toxxupation posted:

They've got a kill range of six million meters and if you've seen one, you're already dead

A wolf was pulled over buy a cop, and the cop said "do you have anything in your pockets that could hurt me?" The wolf pulled a list of ex-girlfriends phone numbers and handed it to the cop.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Eej posted:

Dan Harmon's a weird dude. Why is it a bad thing that dogs domesticated themselves?

Domestication isn't the bad part, it's what we did to them afterward.

This brachycephalic horror-show requires constant cleaning in its face-folds to prevent dermatitis, has hips made of loving graham crackers, will probably have its respiratory tract self-annihilate by age 8, and is physically incapable of sexual reproduction. It is an entirely man-made breed, but still 100% genetically compatible with Canis lupus. We did that to them. It's all our fault.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Checkmate atheists :smug:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm 10 episodes into my rewatch. I haven't revisited season 1 since just after season 2 ended, when I did a rewatch of those two seasons.

I'm really used to the "new" Community of season 5-6, so this early style feels really dialled back, to almost a normal sitcom. It doesn't feel Dan-Harmon-y. It makes it weird to sit through almost a full season of regular sitcom episodes before they start playing around with genre stuff and the quirkier humour. The run-of-the-mill plots are also making all the episodes run together in my head.

I forgot how tedious some of this early stuff was like Jeff's obsession with Britta, and her fling with Vaughn. I just need to power through to the end of season 1, and then the good stuff will come in season 2 :)

It's also weird seeing Britta be the well-adjusted one of the group, and Chang being a competent (albeit tyrannical) teacher instead of whatever he became later on. I'm also loving the first appearances of some minor characters. I pointed and yelled "It's Garrett!" the first time he was on screen. I was so excited, it was strange :P

Note: The "Somewhere Out There" musical moment of episode 10 is the first really special/stand-out moment of the show's run, in my opinion. (Now I really want to watch An American Tail)

Edit: also, it's odd to see all these exterior shots showing Greendale to be such a big & bustling campus. It looks like it could have 5 to 10 thousand students. Is it just me, or did the college feel much smaller in later seasons? Maybe it's just the reuse of the same sets (library, cafeteria) and background characters, but the latter-season Greendale feels like it has a few hundred students.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 9, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tellah posted:

The part that got me the most was Annie and Jeff griping about their age and their obligations to normative social roles, followed shortly by Annie saying "I'm in my 20's, who cares?"

Allison Brie is 32.

Allison Brie and Gillian Jacobs are the same age, but their characters aren't.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
They are perfectly believable as college age women.

It's not like when you have 35 year olds playing highschool students.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

BreakAtmo posted:

Does anyone else find it funny that Jim Rash is the guy's real name? It sounds a little like a joke stage name.

i think his real name is Rashis T. Vugly

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Hedrigall posted:

I'm 10 episodes into my rewatch. I haven't revisited season 1 since just after season 2 ended, when I did a rewatch of those two seasons.

I'm really used to the "new" Community of season 5-6, so this early style feels really dialled back, to almost a normal sitcom. It doesn't feel Dan-Harmon-y. It makes it weird to sit through almost a full season of regular sitcom episodes before they start playing around with genre stuff and the quirkier humour. The run-of-the-mill plots are also making all the episodes run together in my head.

I forgot how tedious some of this early stuff was like Jeff's obsession with Britta, and her fling with Vaughn. I just need to power through to the end of season 1, and then the good stuff will come in season 2 :)

It's also weird seeing Britta be the well-adjusted one of the group, and Chang being a competent (albeit tyrannical) teacher instead of whatever he became later on. I'm also loving the first appearances of some minor characters. I pointed and yelled "It's Garrett!" the first time he was on screen. I was so excited, it was strange :P

Note: The "Somewhere Out There" musical moment of episode 10 is the first really special/stand-out moment of the show's run, in my opinion. (Now I really want to watch An American Tail)

Totally agree with a lot of this. I really didn't feel that community fully became Dan Harmon's community until episode 23 (Modern Warfare).

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Season 1 is the best season and the notion that you'd have to "power through it" is incredibly offensive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The first Hallowe'en episode always struck me as a marker from 'I like this new TV show, it's funny' to 'OK there's definitely something cool and different about this one...'. It was definitely good until that point, but that's where things start to define what the show is really about. It's like Scandal, where the first season just sets up the premise for the crazy that's about to follow.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, some people prefer the relative grounded-ness of the first season, but I definitely prefer when it starts to go off the rails in the second and third seasons, especially the latter. It's like the third season of Arrested Development, where they knew it wasn't long for this earth, so it went completely batshit.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

I was on-board from the pilot (yeah, watched it day-of, no biggie) because I'm a fan of really smart, quick, but nonetheless "pedestrian" sitcoms. I've been rewatching too, and the one where it really becomes something to look out for is, in my book, Football, Feminism, and You, which is just solid hilarious — "that's racist," "bing-bong, sing along, your team's outscored 'cause your views are wrong" — and then the very next one is the Halloween episode, which is when the show definitely first starts to show the sensibility that defines Community, I agree. The first season is absolutely electrifying, how every single episode is reliably better than the last until finally Modern Warfare tears up the rule book.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Chwoka posted:

"bing-bong, sing along, your team's outscored 'cause your views are wrong"

Bing bong, sing along, your team's Al Gore 'cause your views are wrong.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

Bing bong, sing along, your team's Al Gore 'cause your views are wrong.

Oh man, I guess I always heard that wrong.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jagermonster posted:

i think his real name is Rashis T. Vugly

Dammit, I meant to say Butts Carlston.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Chwoka posted:

I was on-board from the pilot (yeah, watched it day-of, no biggie) because I'm a fan of really smart, quick, but nonetheless "pedestrian" sitcoms. I've been rewatching too, and the one where it really becomes something to look out for is, in my book, Football, Feminism, and You, which is just solid hilarious — "that's racist," "bing-bong, sing along, your team's outscored 'cause your views are wrong" — and then the very next one is the Halloween episode, which is when the show definitely first starts to show the sensibility that defines Community, I agree. The first season is absolutely electrifying, how every single episode is reliably better than the last until finally Modern Warfare tears up the rule book.

Same here, the exact moment I was on-board was the pilot when the group is trying to silently communicate by mouthing their words and Abed blurts out 'What's going on? Can you guys hear me, am I deaf?!'

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

John Dough posted:

Dammit, I meant to say Butts Carlston.

It's true, he did mean to say Butts Carlton.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Chwoka posted:

Oh man, I guess I always heard that wrong.

We're not John Kerry 'cause we don't flip flop.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I loved Community ever since I saw Pierce and Jeff's Spanish presentation. I knew the show had something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0xr0HCN794

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
The Spanish rap sealed the deal for me.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

Enderzero posted:

Same here, the exact moment I was on-board was the pilot when the group is trying to silently communicate by mouthing their words and Abed blurts out 'What's going on? Can you guys hear me, am I deaf?!'

The pilot is one of the best comedy pilots of all time. Not that it's gonna knock you on your rear end or nothing, but comedy pilots are notoriously hard to get right, between establishing the premise, introducing the cast, showing what the everyday show will look like, and being funny somehow on top of that, and Community pulled it off without loving up a single beat, thanks to Dan Harmon's obsession with story structure.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the show was funny from the start but the fourth episode or so, with the dead poet's society accounting teacher was really cool

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Last Chance posted:

I loved Community ever since I saw Pierce and Jeff's Spanish presentation. I knew the show had something special.

This is what sold me on the show, too.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I am a fan of the Soup, and I only gave Community a try because my wife made me. I figured it'd be just a gigantic, steaming pile of canned army surplus taco meat.

But, in the early days, even though it was a pretty standard sitcom, I still liked it. Even formulaic shows can be enjoyable if they're done well enough. (Just not as good as more original shows.) But later on, when it started playing around with the genre more and more, I really started digging it.

Someone brought up the Halloween episodes, and my favorite was the zombie one. It manages to toss a "Treehouse of Horror"-style non-canon, continuity-be-damned episode into a show that should not really have one of those types of episodes. (The scene where the Dean is on the phone and the government takes over the call the instant he reads something from the back of the container was hilarious.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For me it was the Spanish class presentation. The whole joke of a class presentation becoming this elaborate rambling sketch was funny in and of itself, and playing it out in slow motion with Aimee Mann on the soundtrack was more than I'd been trained to expect.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

tarlibone posted:

Someone brought up the Halloween episodes, and my favorite was the zombie one. It manages to toss a "Treehouse of Horror"-style non-canon, continuity-be-damned episode into a show that should not really have one of those types of episodes. (The scene where the Dean is on the phone and the government takes over the call the instant he reads something from the back of the container was hilarious.)

Yeah this is one of my favorites as well, if only for the running gag throughout the episode of the Party from Hell having an all-Abba playlist.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I tended to like the early episodes and very specific genre ones. I loving love the Law & Order episode. :doink:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, echoing the first Halloween episode as the moment the show became a must-watch. Though it was the KFC spaceship episode that pushed it through the roof for me.

"You need to get up to delicious!"
"That makes sense."

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

Last Chance posted:

It's kind of a dumb joke but "Did you say S?" still gets a hearty laugh from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

It doesn't matter what our Nielsen rating is. It doesn't matter what you thought of Season 4. If we're within 50 miles of a wolf den, we're all going to be eaten.

• Locked thread