Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

omeg posted:

Will the melee stances (and other defunct skills) be fixed in the release version? They still seem to do nothing. Also percentages for procs like Intercept (0.5%???) are way too low to ever consider it, but you guys probably know that. It would be nice if descriptions said what are exact chances for all such procs ("occasionally" isn't very helpful).

Some of the percentages might be low but they shouldn't be doing nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

I dunno about all that jazz, but I do know I have some ideas I'm super excited about for making the lovely way tinkering is designed way less lovely and more super tinkering fun! Everything about Qud is the worst, but let's all agree we should make tinkering less the worst first.

Tinkering is among the better crafting systems I've seen in an RPG, honestly. Infinite, automatic storage of tinkering components, and only being able to make items whose recipes your character currently has on them, go a long way to fix the common problems with crafting.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
There any plans to make unarmed more of an option in Qud? Sometimes i want to try to negate my terrible luck with loot but don't want to play a pure esper.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Clever Spambot posted:

There any plans to make unarmed more of an option in Qud? Sometimes i want to try to negate my terrible luck with loot but don't want to play a pure esper.

I'm really curious to see what the hell a Fuming God-Child is supposed to do. I assumed they would be an unarmed class, but they're just... weird.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

:getin:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Tinkering is among the better crafting systems I've seen in an RPG, honestly. Infinite, automatic storage of tinkering components, and only being able to make items whose recipes your character currently has on them, go a long way to fix the common problems with crafting.

My main complaints with it are expert disassemble makes you want to bank artifacts instead of breaking them down until you get expert disassemble, and there's no way to try to acquire higher tier bits except by complete happenstance (often by just finding whatever item you might make with them anyway). I'd like to address both those issues with a refactor, at least.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Unormal posted:

My main complaints with it are expert disassemble makes you want to bank artifacts instead of breaking them down until you get expert disassemble, and there's no way to try to acquire higher tier bits except by complete happenstance (often by just finding whatever item you might make with them anyway). I'd like to address both those issues with a refactor, at least.

These are my main issues with tinkering as well. I really like the system on the whole, but the finicky "hoard poo poo until you can disassemble it" behaviour and the wildly different rate of blueprint acquisition between Psychometry havers, high-Ego non-Psychometry havers (for feasibly affordable data disks), and low-Ego non-Psychometry havers (lol have fun disassembling 600 things and learning how to make a few of them thanks to your expensive high-level tinker skill that does nothing else) are sorta the main obstacles to playing any kind of character that's heavily Tinkering-oriented from the start instead of opportunistically branching into it later.

If you make turret kills grant XP and make bullets easier to acquire/assemble/reload in decent quantities, pure Tinker builds could actually be fun as hell to play, and True Man characters would have some much more interesting options and be generally a lot cooler to try out.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Why is it more expensive to recharge cells than to just make a new one, anyway?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

dis astranagant posted:

Why is it more expensive to recharge cells than to just make a new one, anyway?

Is that a new change? When I played a tinker in pre-steam versions, recharging cells only took one scrap (I forget which kind) while building them took two. Or you could pay Argyve to recharge it, which seemed universally better. Why would I spend a limited-availability crafting ingredient on something when I could just pay a few drams of water instead?

I guess it's mostly useful as an emergeny thing if you're in the middle of a dungeon and don't want to recoil out, but I never lived long enough to have those problems. My one guy who beat Golgotha (and healed his tongue by drinking flaming asphalt!) died immediately to the guys sitting outside Bethesda Susa.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Recharging costs based on how much you've used. An empty chem cell needs 3 As to charge.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kind of wish qud had overworld events. Like running into merchants to rob or whatever

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

I kind of wish qud had overworld events. Like running into merchants to rob or whatever

I've run into a merchant caravan and a starapple farmer before, but such encounters are rare.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I've run into a merchant caravan and a starapple farmer before, but such encounters are rare.

I wish you could see at least the caravans from the overworld map instead of having to drop down to normal scale to find them.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Turtlicious posted:

Do you mean events that pull you down from the world map, or things you can find exploring the surface? Qud actually has both these things, and we're adding more.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

hand of luke posted:

Do you mean events that pull you down from the world map, or things you can find exploring the surface? Qud actually has both these things, and we're adding more.

For non-threatening stuff, it'd be nice to get a prompt like "You find a starapple farm here." and then give the player the option to investigate or not as they choose. Ambushes, hostile wildlife, etc. of course would be non-optional.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

That can already happen with ruins and certain other things. It would certainly be nice if it triggered on caravans/farms/etc, I agree.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Vault:5 why.

why vault 5

i got the rune already

why did that spear do 150 damage

sob sob

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's made of crystal and was thrown by an alich??? Sorry for your woes. :smith:

e: actually I don't think that can do 150 but it can get close

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's made of crystal and was thrown by an alich??? Sorry for your woes. :smith:

e: actually I don't think that can do 150 but it can get close

144 is close enough to 150 for me.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

i had one hp when i climbed the stairs.

the lich followed

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Pladdicus posted:

i had one hp when i climbed the stairs.

the lich followed

“The man in Black fled across the Desert, and the Gunslinger followed.”

hand of luke posted:

Unormal posted:

:neckbeard: Very interested to see how you are going to solve the hoarding artifacts problem.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Helical Nightmares posted:

:neckbeard: Very interested to see how you are going to solve the hoarding artifacts problem.

YES! Seriously, whether you're Psychometric or not, high Ego or not, it's a thousand times harder to get bits you need without Expert Disassemble, which means beelining for 25 int or stashing stuff even longer than necessary.

Also, making only 5 lead slugs at a time is super weak, unless higher tinker skill yields more ammo. Granted I've never lived long enough to ever run out of ammo once I hit Grit and Goatstown, but still.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pistol builds never have enough ammo since their whole thing is spamming weak shots and the best pistols DEVOUR ammo/cells. It's also basically impossible to use the 12 gauge shotgun since it uses special ammo that has to be tinkered for decently hard to stockpile bit.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 9, 2015

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I've now made it down to floor 44 in DoomRL on my HMP Ao100 run. Holy poo poo having sound makes a big difference. Just being able to go "oh, there's an archvile nearby, I should use rockets" is huge.

I also haven't had any crashes or lag with the new sound code, so I'll probably turn it on-by-default on the server soon.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

ToxicFrog posted:

I've now made it down to floor 44 in DoomRL on my HMP Ao100 run. Holy poo poo having sound makes a big difference. Just being able to go "oh, there's an archvile nearby, I should use rockets" is huge.

I also haven't had any crashes or lag with the new sound code, so I'll probably turn it on-by-default on the server soon.

Gibbed corpses can't be resurrected, right?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Correct. That's part of why I like to carry a skull or two on weapon-restricted Angel runs - I may not be able to use rockets, but this fire skull will clean up all these Mancubus corpses nicely and let me tangle with that Arch-Vile in peace :getin:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Speaking of weapon restricted Angel runs, my favorite thing about Angel of Shotgunnery is when no sergeants spawn on Phobos 2 and you can't do Hell's Arena without running out of ammo.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dross posted:

Gibbed corpses can't be resurrected, right?

Yep. And while technically any weapon can, under the right circumstances, gib something, fire weapons (i.e. explosives) have the best odds.

Even when it's not my primary weapon, I generally carry a rocket launcher and a stack or two of rockets with me just for blasting holes in walls and gibbing corpses in AV fights.

E: spoilers for my eventual update in the LPRL thread, but who cares, I'm pretty proud of this.

It was actually a kind of frustrating run in some ways. Most of the cool poo poo I wanted to show off never dropped! I didn't find a BFG until the 87th floor, and I hardly got to use Scavenger at all -- although it's hard to say it wasn't worth it, since Scavenger did get me the single Nano Pack of the run. That was a huge help, but it looks like the Cybernano-P Phaseshift Armour + Antigrav-A Phaseshift Boots combo will remain an unattainable dream.

Unsurprisingly, the burst nuclear plasma rifle continues to be the best weapon of Ao100.

I do have a hard time seeing why Scavenger would ever be worth taking on a non Ao100/Ao666 run, though. Especially since it can't be used on armour. Sure, rare mod packs are great, but you're lucky to get one unique weapon in a normal playthrough -- so, in exchange for a level that could be spent on (for example) +15% attack speed or +20% HP or immunity to fire, you instead get the opportunity, if you find a unique weapon that you don't want to use, to disassemble it into a modpack that might perhaps be useful to you, assuming you haven't already assembled all of your poo poo as much as possible already. Which, since you have Whizkid 2, you probably have.

(I know it works on Exotics and Assemblies as well, but let's be honest, by the time you're using Scavenger you're probably not hurting for non-rare modpacks.)

pre:
--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (0.9.9.7) roguelike post-mortem character dump
--------------------------------------------------------------

ToxicFrog, level 22 Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant Technician,
 completed 100 levels of torture on level 100 of Hell.
 He survived 263323 turns and scored 1209704 points. 
 He played for 14 hours, 42 minutes and 13 seconds. 
 He wasn't afraid to be hurt plenty.

He killed 2536 out of 2536 hellspawn. (100%)
 This rear end-kicking marine killed all of them!
 He was an Angel of 100!

He saved himself 4 times.

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Medal of Prejudice
  UAC Star (silver cluster)
  Experience Medal
  Veteran Silver Badge

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   cybernano phaseshift armor [8] (P)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   burst nuclear plasma rifle (1d9)x8 [48/48] (S1)
    [c] [ Boots      ]   phaseshift boots [4/4] (100%) (A)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   burst nuclear plasma rifle (1d9)x8 [62/62] (B1)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] tactical rocket launcher (6d6) [5/5] (T1)
    [b] demolition combat pistol (6d2) [7/15] (P1)
    [c] nuclear VBFG9000 (8d9) [60/60] (P1)

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

[...]
    239 arch-viles
    18 bruiser brothers
    10 shamblers
    4 lava elemental
    2 agony elementals
    2 Cyberdemons

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 10, 2015

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hey, someone tell me what gamepad(s) I should get to debug/test Android controller support on Sproggiwood!

e: Here's my IRDC speech, all edited up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U03XXzcThGU

Unormal fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 10, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

Hey, someone tell me what gamepad(s) I should get to debug/test Android controller support on Sproggiwood!

I have a MadCatz CTLR bluetooth controller for my phone and it works great and didn't cost too much. And I'm up for testing if you need it :v:

Besides that though PS3/PS4 controllers can be used with bluetooth pairing, and PC/360/Xbox One controllers are also natively supported by Android so long as they'd work on a recent Windows and can be connected to your phone by USB (including connecting the Wireless 360 Receiver by USB and connecting a wireless 360 controller to that).

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

PC/360/Xbox One controllers are also natively supported by Android so long as they'd work on a recent Windows and can be connected to your phone by USB (including connecting the Wireless 360 Receiver by USB and connecting a wireless 360 controller to that).

Wow, no poo poo? That's pretty cool. Let me see how that goes. The current public build *should* support bluetooth controllers/Keboards, but you have to rebind the controls to something sensible. I'm working on defaults now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
On the subject of controllers, if you say you "support controllers" but you only support 360 controllers, I will shiv you.

(Speaking as an owner of a Logitech F310 controller that seems to have been a waste of money judging from recent games)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

On the subject of controllers, if you say you "support controllers" but you only support 360 controllers, I will shiv you.

(Speaking as an owner of a Logitech F310 controller that seems to have been a waste of money judging from recent games)

If the F310 is anything like the other Fx10 controllers, there's a switch on the back that toggles it between XInput (360-compatible) and DirectInput (legacy) modes. Make sure that's in XInput mode for recent games.

I have an F710 and it works great.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

If the F310 is anything like the other Fx10 controllers, there's a switch on the back that toggles it between XInput (360-compatible) and DirectInput (legacy) modes. Make sure that's in XInput mode for recent games.

I've got a wired xbox controller, a wireless xbox controller, a steelseries stratus and an F710 sitting on my desk. F310 and a MadCat are in the mail as of a few minutes ago. (tldr; cross-platform hardware support is :gonk:)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, maybe this is just an OSX thing (and/or a crappy porting job thing) then. Binding of Isaac Rebirth, Valdis Story, and Axiom Verge all claim controller support and just flat-out don't recognize that my controller is hooked up. La-Mulana worked fine except that I had to plug the controller back in every time I task-switched back to the game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

I'm as little of a fan of monopolies as the next guy, but you probably should've gotten an Xbox 360 controller, bud. :( It's just so ubiquitous.

e: someone make a roguelike out of James Joyce books.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah that's the lovely part about the Xbox Controller that Microsoft managed to spin into great PR because games media takes anything they say in press releases at face value if it's vaguely about technology.

Windows natively supporting Xbox controllers turned into "Windows has really good built in controller support!", even though what it actually did is provide an easy way for developers to lock out every non-microsoft controller. Gamepad support got worse when microsoft included native gamepad support in windows.

On another controls related note: Hey indie devs: Don't hard-bind your games controls on the Y or Z button just because other indie darlings also do it (because I guess emulating 2-button NES controllers on a keyboard is all the rage now) and put their 2 buttons on Z and X. Z and Y are not in the same place on every keyboard, and in some parts of the world your game is unplayable when you force people to use X and Z.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 10, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

A friend of mine gifted me Curious Expedition and I gave it a try. Holy poo poo, what a gloriously weird, funny game. I headbutted a tiger, sold an artist to a slave trader for bullets and traded his art supplies for a different slave, had a conversation with my donkey while it laughed with the voice of a demon, got my missionary so high on coca leaves that he became a paranoid wreck of a man, accidentally burned down an entire jungle due to unsafe campfire handling, created a nightmarish cannibalistic abomination, and later murdered and cannibalized said abomination in a fit of homicidal irony. This game is loving hysterical. It's like a terrifying existential comedy fuelled by science and kuru.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ToxicFrog posted:

I have a F510 and it is great. Lasted longer than the previous controllers some goons were hyping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
F510 is amazing, and easy to repair / maintain, it's also 90$ unless you buy it used.