Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Shaocaholica posted:

As long as grandma is still living :(

Then it will get donated to Goodwill, and sit on a shelf with a $200 price tag for 3 months before it's dumped in the garbage.

The PC, I mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

canyoneer posted:

Then it will get donated to Goodwill, and sit on a shelf with a $200 price tag for 3 months before it's dumped in the garbage.

The PC, I mean

I don't think goodwill accepts PCs anymore.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Lowen SoDium posted:

Some areas have completely separate Goodwill locations for electronics.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

Always amused when people get miffed that Goodwill doesn't want them dropping off their ancient rear end 27" CRTs at the backdoor

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Toast Museum posted:

Some areas have completely separate Goodwill locations for electronics.

They also run this thing which is actually pretty neat:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/28/goodwill-game-store/

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Goodwill also has their own auction site. People have been all over that for a few years now that they tend to list stuff way below market value.

Like $1 starting price on granddads old Rolex that a goodwill employee may know gently caress all about. But that's an extreme case. Most like Granddads Leica M6.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

teagone posted:

I still have hard copies of all the 2000 era issues of Maximum PC. Seeing them immortalized in digital form online is making me feel old and poo poo. Also, the first computer I built had a VIA KT133A chipset :colbert:

It also had Hercules 3D Prophet video card, haha.

Man you just kept making bad decisions back then. KT133A? Were you too poors for even DDR or something!? Pssha. Poors. Back in my day, we walked 15 miles to get to the CompUSA to pick up a single stick of 64MB of RDRAM, and we paid $300 and our left manboob for the privilege! :bahgawd:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

NghaAAAAaaaAAAAAhh, I just had a chill run up my spine. SPEAK NOT OF THE EVIL ONE'S NAME. If you say it three times, I hear your BIOS will self-corrupt every time you shut down, before the southbridge releasing its magic smoke arbitrarily under desktop idle conditions.

VIA. VIA. VI

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Angry Fish posted:

we walked 15 miles to get to the CompUSA to pick up a single stick of 64MB of RDRAM,

You must have been reaaaalllly disappointed when you got home, since RDRAM ran in pairs only :D

Sadly, I remember going to Staples(the only place in town that carried PC stuff) and buying another 256meg of RDRAM for like $250 when HL2 came out.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Always amused when people get miffed that Goodwill doesn't want them dropping off their ancient rear end 27" CRTs at the backdoor

I honestly wouldn't know how to get rid of a CRT around here anymore. The local trash company won't take them anymore, the nearby electronics recycling drop-offs stopped taking them a couple of years ago and second-hand shops don't want them. If it's an old monitor for a specific system or a late model Sony TV you can pawn it off on someone who wants it for retro games or computers, but if it's crap and/or doesn't work the only option is to throw it in some random dumpster in the middle of the night.

Which, of course, you shouldn't do.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Angry Fish posted:

Man you just kept making bad decisions back then. KT133A? Were you too poors for even DDR or something!? Pssha. Poors. Back in my day, we walked 15 miles to get to the CompUSA to pick up a single stick of 64MB of RDRAM, and we paid $300 and our left manboob for the privilege! :bahgawd:

VIA. VIA. VI

I warned him. I loving warned him, and he did it anyways. If you're too goddamn stupid to heed the warnings, you deserve any magic smoking you get! :argh:

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Angry Fish posted:

VIA. VIA. VI
Just got a nasty flashback to trying to run a Creative Audigy with a VIA chipset. The random crashes were bad but the horrible screech after was somehow worse. I think that piece of poo poo even had a S3 video chip for onboard.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Shaocaholica posted:

Say I wanted to build an Athlon XP system for 'historical' reasons, what motherboard was baller back then?

Abit is a pretty nice brand, but one big issue from that era on almost all boards is the use of absolutely hopeless capacitors. You're balls deep in capacitor plague. If you do some soldering, no problem; as long as the boards haven't been tossed away, you could probably get them for free.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Man all this talk of amd xp takes me back to the first pc I built with my own money, in retrospect it was a terrible heap due to me being a retard.

I ended up with this motherboard and an XP2800+.
Then I ended up buying the wrong type of case, so the powersupply wouldnt fit once i'd installed the stupidly noisy coolermaster heatsink. Being :downs: at the time I just left the incredibly blingy antec psu ontop of the case, which blew up about a year later. The only thing that survived from that build was the case, which I used for a c2q build because the std heatsink just about cleared the psu.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

JnnyThndrs posted:

You must have been reaaaalllly disappointed when you got home, since RDRAM ran in pairs only :D

Sadly, I remember going to Staples(the only place in town that carried PC stuff) and buying another 256meg of RDRAM for like $250 when HL2 came out.

Remember those lawsuits Rambus got saddled with over their anti-competitive behavior, and Intel washing their hands clean of the whole thing? Yeah. RDRAM was pretty darn fast, but that whole era of ":siren:CHIP SHORTAGES IN TAIWAN AAAAH (but really we're just price fixing:tutbutt:):siren:," was a bitch if you wanted to upgrade.

HalloKitty posted:

Abit is a pretty nice brand, but one big issue from that era on almost all boards is the use of absolutely hopeless capacitors. You're balls deep in capacitor plague. If you do some soldering, no problem; as long as the boards haven't been tossed away, you could probably get them for free.

Was it really that era? My memory is terrible, but I thought that huge cap plague fuckup was a late-90s/early-2000s problem.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Angry Fish posted:

Was it really that era? My memory is terrible, but I thought that huge cap plague fuckup was a late-90s/early-2000s problem.

If we're talking about Athlon XP, we're talking about early 2000s. This is definitely that time.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I had an Asus A7N8X series nforce2 board and I could recommend that one, if the caps are good.

The Epox 8RDA series it replaced was a piece of poo poo that gave me endless trouble.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

pienipple posted:

I had an Asus A7N8X series nforce2 board and I could recommend that one, if the caps are good.

The Epox 8RDA series it replaced was a piece of poo poo that gave me endless trouble.

Why did nvidia get out of the chipset making game?

edit: nevermind, googled it. So Intel didn't give them a new chipset license for the Core 2 Duo or Nehalem CPUs just coming out, AMD wasn't making them any money, and they wanted to make SoC's that nobody ever really liked in the first place because of cost and power usage.

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 9, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Angry Fish posted:

Remember those lawsuits Rambus got saddled with over their anti-competitive behavior, and Intel washing their hands clean of the whole thing? Yeah. RDRAM was pretty darn fast, but that whole era of ":siren:CHIP SHORTAGES IN TAIWAN AAAAH (but really we're just price fixing:tutbutt:):siren:," was a bitch if you wanted to upgrade.

Would RDRAM ever have gone anywhere in the first place? It seemed more like an equivalent, rather than a superior technology compared to SDRAM.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Angry Fish posted:

edit: nevermind, googled it. So Intel didn't give them a new chipset license for the Core 2 Duo or Nehalem CPUs just coming out, AMD wasn't making them any money, and they wanted to make SoC's that nobody ever really liked in the first place because of cost and power usage.

That and while the nForce2 was amazing, (Abit NF7-A crew represent) nForce3 was a dumpster fire for the A64 socket 754 platform. I worked at Staples at the time and got a bundle deal from AMD for doing their sales training. It was an Asus board with a VIA K9T800 chipset and a A64 3200+. That board was a complete poo poo show and I finally bought a DFI :dance: LANPARTY :dance: that was nForce3 to replace the VIA piece of poo poo. While the DFI board lasted a while, it was very quirky.

Socket 754 was also very short lived and AMD just dropped it and moved everything to 939 if I remember right. Of course this is more an indictment of a lovely platform, but I don't remember Nvidia doing much after maybe a nforce4 but that coincides with Intel's bullshit too.

Edit:

My first PC (long time Mac guy) was an Athlon XP 1700+ on a Soltek KT266 motherboard with a Geforce 4 4200 TI. I got tired of lovely ports and lack of games in general on the Mac and built a PC to play with my friends. I went from knowing nothing about PC hardware and not much about Windows (other than Virtual PC and Win98) to being the go-to resource for my friends in like 6 months. Guess I was destined for IT. :negative:

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 9, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

FaustianQ posted:

Would RDRAM ever have gone anywhere in the first place? It seemed more like an equivalent, rather than a superior technology compared to SDRAM.
Maybe at very high clocks probably near its end of life. The latency was really high vs DDR even if the peak bandwidth it could offer was higher so the effective performance would've been about the same for the most part on most work loads. What was worse was that it got much slower when you had more than 1 RIMM on a single channel. That and the added heat really pissed off the server guys.

When it was first intro'd it was noticeably slower + lots more expensive than DDR which soured everybody on it and that was the end of it. Intel's 1st chipset having bugs with it sure didn't help any either.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Such fond memories of my Asus Nforce 2 motherboard. :flashfap: :circlefap:

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

FaustianQ posted:

RDRAM was more-or-less faster on paper when compared to DDR -- by about 10%, on equivalent systems, in synthetic benchmarks, using the initial memory controllers for each. It was hampered by poor memory controllers early on, alongside the fact you needed pairs of very expensive modules. DDR was just better tech in the long run, but RDRAM's best selling point was the "future potential" of its technology.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
nForce? phhhhhht

AMD's first Athlon chipset, Irongate, was where it was at.

FIC SD11 was awesome bang for the buck:

You could get that board + a 650Mhz Slot A Athlon for around $300 at Fry's back then. Slap on a GFD, or hard mod the actual CPU PCB if you were feeling cocky, and you were in business.

Too bad it'd be years later before AMD began making their own chipsets again and instead let VIA, SiS, nVidia, and ALi on to their mobo's. Honestly the late generation VIA chipsets weren't too bad but by then everyone was soured on them.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

nForce? phhhhhht

AMD's first Athlon chipset, Irongate, was where it was at.

FIC SD11 was awesome bang for the buck:

You could get that board + a 650Mhz Slot A Athlon for around $300 at Fry's back then. Slap on a GFD, or hard mod the actual CPU PCB if you were feeling cocky, and you were in business.

Too bad it'd be years later before AMD began making their own chipsets again and instead let VIA, SiS, nVidia, and ALi on to their mobo's. Honestly the late generation VIA chipsets weren't too bad but by then everyone was soured on them.

I think VIA is now using their x86 license and their Nano series, paired with S3 graphics chips, as a strictly-digital-signage system. Weird, I know.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yea some CarPC folks use them too since they're cheap SBC's with everything integrated, small, run windows, and don't use much power.

Or at least they used to. I think Atom and Geode based SBC's have taken over that niche as well.

edit: \/\/\/\/So they're using FPGA's now? Weird to see something like that getting cheap enough to pop up in cost-centric commodity car electronics.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 9, 2015

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Yea some CarPC folks use them too since they're cheap SBC's with everything integrated, small, run windows, and don't use much power.

Or at least they used to. I think Atom and Geode based SBC's have taken over that niche as well.
Fun tidbit of industry knowledge:

TRW Automotive, the nice folks making backup cameras and adaptive cruise control magic boxes for domestic cars, uses a VIA SoC up until recently because it's like $18 for an entire SoC that performs well at 70 degrees C. They just decided on new designs, with a pre-programmable Xilinux line; despite it's higher expense, it has higher bandwidth than a generic x86 ever could provide -- so you don't get adaptive cruise control with millisecond delays when its running off a x86 platform from 2010 with 2006 performance.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I had a FIC AD11 with an AMD760 north bridge and VIA soutbridge, it wasn't too bad. Next I had a GA-7VRXP with a KT333, a GA-K8N Ultra9 with an nForce 4, and now I am on a GA-770T-USB3 system. I must have missed out on all the 'bad' chipsets, I don't remember any driver struggles.

Part of me really wants to find an old 486DX based system to relive the DOS games of my childhood (Doom and Warcraft 2). Somehow DosBox just doesn't do it for me, I think its probably because I am on an LCD but back then I was used to plying everything on a crappy CRT.

I am still holding out for AMD to release something worth upgrading too. . .But a relative is about to replace an Intel based PC and send the carcass my way, all I know is it has a Celeron and DDR2 RAM.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Are we reliving the motherboards of our past, now? I had an Athlon XP 1800+ and a Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra. Believe it or not, I actually successfully tanked all of ICC10 on that computer. Although, as you might imagine, jumping off ledges and trying to do the HALO thing to rapidly lose some altitude going into Sholazar Basin usually resulted in pancaking.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Crotch Fruit posted:

Part of me really wants to find an old 486DX based system to relive the DOS games of my childhood (Doom and Warcraft 2). Somehow DosBox just doesn't do it for me, I think its probably because I am on an LCD but back then I was used to plying everything on a crappy CRT.

I think you're weird. Just play Doom w/ the Brutal Doom mod + whatever launcher you want to use ;)

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Opinions on best time for AMD:
Thunderbird era, or Athlon 64x2 hegemony?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
As someone who ran Thunderbird and passed up the entire A64 era because poor until upgrading to a Phenom II X4 965 BE, I am biased.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

As someone who ran Thunderbird and passed up the entire A64 era because poor until upgrading to a Phenom II X4 965 BE, I am biased.

I loved the pencil trick to unlock the multiplier on the Thunderbird. Managed to destroy a perfectly good 1400+ loving it up.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Angry Fish posted:

I'd give the edge to the A64x2 era. I think that was the 1st time they ever got a major 'x86' ISA feature jump on Intel. The dual core thing was nice but Intel's Jackson Tech (Hyper Threading) was probably a more elegant solution for the time and as it turns out in the long run too.

Angry Fish posted:

I loved the pencil trick to unlock the multiplier on the Thunderbird. Managed to destroy a perfectly good 1400+ loving it up.
Rear window defogger repair kit was the way to go...it was just very permanent and easy to screw up if you didn't use tape to mask off the traces 1st.

edit: \/\/\/\/\/ Yea early Hyper Threading was moderately inconsistent performance wise. I think there were some tasks where it actually caused some small reductions in performance. Generally though it worked as intended and for most part was 'good enough' without blowing up the CPU die size.

Putting 2 full CPU's on die/package definitely offered more performance and IMO would've been good as a high end or niche part for the time. But pushing that sort of product for mass production was a mistake IMO for AMD. Yea it gave them a nice performance lead but it also meant they were even more fab limited than they were before which was always a huge problem for them.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 9, 2015

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I'd give the edge to the A64x2 era. I think that was the 1st time they ever got a major 'x86' ISA feature jump on Intel. The dual core thing was nice but Intel's Jackson Tech (Hyper Threading) was probably a more elegant solution for the time and as it turns out in the long run too.

Yet Intel saw the writing on the wall, and tried hard to catch up with the Pentium D. My 3.6GHz P4 couldn't really match my 64x2 system with Doom 3, iirc, and that's what really mattered.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Angry Fish posted:

The Athlon X2 era before the Core 2 Duo came out was awesome and probably the high point for AMD.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

It was more elegant because the P4's pipeline was horrifyingly long, and SMT gave the CPU something to do other than stalling to do while the replay queue cycled.

SMT has very few technical advantages over just cramming more cores on (assuming your interconnects are fast enough and you're not fighting for access to an off-die memory controller... again Intel) unless you're expecting cache misses or it's interleaved.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

edit: \/\/\/\/\/ Yea early Hyper Threading was moderately inconsistent performance wise. I think there were some tasks where it actually caused some small reductions in performance. Generally though it worked as intended and for most part was 'good enough' without blowing up the CPU die size.
Intel added a replay cache somewhere down the line which pretty much eliminated that problem, and left HT as a generic 30% performance boost if it was a multithreaded app or multiple single-threaded apps.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Putting 2 full CPU's on die/package definitely offered more performance and IMO would've been good as a high end or niche part for the time. But pushing that sort of product for mass production was a mistake IMO for AMD. Yea it gave them a nice performance lead but it also meant they were even more fab limited than they were before which was always a huge problem for them.
Well, that's an ex-post-facto analysis of what happened. Their best selling CPUs were never the ones with yield problems (3200+, etc), but 3700+ and x2 4200+. Multiple cores and better design gave them a significant lead everywhere. Intel Israel just saved the day, and Conroe (and its succesors, especially Nehalem) simply cleaned AMD's clock while they sat around trying to figure out how they could put even more cores on a die instead of going back to the drawing board and doing the same thing they did during the Athlon era -- designing a more efficient processor.

It wasn't a fab limitation problem. Maybe the inability to wedge 16 cores onto a die in 2012 was a fab problem, but the fact that they even wanted to do that was a roadmap/architecture problem in the same way as Intel's "10ghz P4" roadmaps. Barking up the wrong tree.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Angry Fish posted:

It's always surprising when somebody's trying to paint Intel as this giant anti-trust violator and don't mention this bit.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
AMD CPU and Platform Discussion: Revelling in the before time of the long long ago

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Angry Fish posted:

Athlon64 35/800+ ! I never thought the x2s really compared all that well vs he original A64 blowout level goodness. The jump from that first integrated memory controller was like the only time AMD really saw a Nehalem level leap in performance it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Seriously though, does anyone have a dust riddled Nforce2 system I could have for a song?

• Locked thread