Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The American Prospect ran a big piece on Kirkpatrick's 2014 campaign, for those interested.

Bob Moser posted:

Few Democrats in Congress were as well positioned as Kirkpatrick to undertake a campaign of Clinton-style triangulation. She voted “just” 89 percent with President Obama, according to the Sunlight Foundation—one of the lower partisan-purity tallies on the Hill. But Kirkpatrick had tried the “no-D Democratic” approach before, in 2010, when she spent the campaign on the defensive after voting for Obamacare, insisting she was actually a model of “independence” and pledging fiscal responsibility and aisle-crossing. She got whomped. So this year, Kirkpatrick made the curious strategic decision to run as herself: a deal-cutter who brings millions in grant money to her cash-starved district; an opponent of EPA regulations when they threaten local jobs, and an environmentalist otherwise; and, most important, a progressive populist on such defining issues as immigration reform, corporate taxation, and health-care reform.

The Prospect has been beating this drum for a while now, that Dems have to run more liberal candidates even in tossup districts. I always suspect there's a bit of wishful thinking at play, but this seemed like a pretty well-supported article.

Bob Moser posted:

The Obamacare attack ads flew fast and furious, but Kirkpatrick didn’t flinch, pointing out that the law had benefited thousands of her constituents. “I talk to people almost on a daily basis who now have coverage they never had before,” she said in a September debate. “Thank heavens.” (Thank heavens for Obamacare? Smelling salts for the consultants, quick!) By being so unblinking and unapologetic about supporting the ACA, she put herself in a position to turn the issue on Tobin, who had opposed Arizona’s Medicaid expansion as House speaker. “He fought Medicaid expansion, and 21,000 people in my district just signed up for Medicaid,” she told a Phoenix radio host in September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
She sounds like she has balls--a rare quality in a Democrat in a Republican district. The DSCC could definitely do worse than supporting her candidacy.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh yeah, there's also a court case going on that would, if successful, allow the legislature to disband the nonpartisan redistricting commission that drew the maps in Arizona and redraw the lines in what would be a Republican gerrymander. So she might be trying to outrun that as well.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
For those who weren't paying attention (which, as is obvious by me posting it three days later, includes myself,) Mike Coffman announced that he's running for re-election in the house this past Monday. He had seemed like the leading candidate to run against Bennet in Colorado but wouldn't have been a favorite to actually win that race. Plan B, as far as I can tell, is that there isn't one and Republicans just hope that someone will stick his neck out and then win due to a red November wave.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Cliff Racer posted:

For those who weren't paying attention (which, as is obvious by me posting it three days later, includes myself,) Mike Coffman announced that he's running for re-election in the house this past Monday. He had seemed like the leading candidate to run against Bennet in Colorado but wouldn't have been a favorite to actually win that race. Plan B, as far as I can tell, is that there isn't one and Republicans just hope that someone will stick his neck out and then win due to a red November wave.

I've never seen someone fail upward from luck better than Michael Bennet.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
:siren: Sandoval not running for NV Senate :siren:

The NV Dems must be praising their pagan idols right about now.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
e:f,b

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Between that and the guy challenging Bennett in CO not running, been a good week for Senate Dem chances

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Franco Potente posted:

Wow. Without Sandoval in the race, this is now at least a tossup if not a lean or likely D hold, right? Catherine Cortez Masto has to be the favorite against any other GOP nominee.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Franco Potente posted:

My sister just texted me ecstatically.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Franco Potente posted:

Puttin out a bowl of wine for Athena itt

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-GA) announces he is suffering from early-stage Parkinson's disease, but will still run for re-election in 2016.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hagan won't run against Burr in NC.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ugh I can't believe they are even possibly considering Heath Shuler

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Rather surprised, all the dominoes had seemed to be falling in place for Democrats this cycle. In other news Pat Toomey has seemed to be surprisingly strong (though still beatable lately) while Portman looks like he'll have real issues in Ohio. Wasn't expecting that this time around.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Pawlowski seems weak to me. I liked Sestak last time around but the critiques earlier in this thread convinced me he's a crappy candidate, too.

I feel like the state party did a great job finding and electing Tom Wolf, but if this is the best we've got for a Senate race against a beatable one-term incumbent in a presidential year...I don't know. Isn't there anyone on the bench?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
They didn't find Wolf, Wolf found them and had to push a bunch of other people out of the way to get in. There's a lot of low to mid level people on the bench, its just that none of them are willing and able to step up. I still think that Sestak is a fine candidate, its just that Toomey has managed to turn himself into one too.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Any word on if Foxx is gonna run against Burr? I figured his bump up to Transportation Sec. was to give him some influence back in NC.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Franco Potente posted:

Any word on if Foxx is gonna run against Burr? I figured his bump up to Transportation Sec. was to give him some influence back in NC.

He said he didn't want it. Honestly he's not the best candidate. He has to win back the suburban areas that shifted in 2012 compared to 2008 and I doubt OBAMAS TRAINZ BUREAUCRAT will be as hard to attack as any other statewide elected Dem save Elaine Marshall since she lost last time.

Cowell isn't running, but she's my sentimental favorite from way back. She'd be better as the possible successor for McCheese if Cooper loses. She'd clobber any other possible 2020 candidate, since under him it's total clownshoes with Forrest, Berger, etc.

Brad Miller will probably get the call. He's available, known in Raleigh and Greensboro, and isn't too conservative for the activists nor is he too liberal for everyone else.

That Politico article is lazy. Stein is clearly running for AG and Cowell already announced she's running for reelection.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I hope I get to see Virginia Foxx lose an election one day rather than just retire

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Republican Jeff Miller (FL-01) is going to run for Rubio's seat. He'll have a better shot at winning the Republican nom than DeSantis, surely?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Franco Potente posted:

Republican Jeff Miller (FL-01) is going to run for Rubio's seat. He'll have a better shot at winning the Republican nom than DeSantis, surely?

We'll have to wait and see who can project the more agreeable level of insanity. I'm unfamiliar with Miller, but am quite certain of DeSantis' wing nut insanity.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
So, this is more 2018 Senate Elections than 2016, and more E/N than D&D, but holy poo poo I just got to meet Senator Sherrod Brown and he told me I was doing great work. :dance: :derp: :supaburn: Only guy I could see beating him in 3 years would be Kasich if Kasich decides to run for Senate, which is definitely a possibility. It would also be horrible, because Brown is one of the best drat Senators in this country.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ehh, he could get a cabinet post or have a scandal or get sick or get bored or just be up in a terrible cycle. Its hard enough to predict 2016, predicting 2018 is close to impossible at this point.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

railroad terror posted:

So, this is more 2018 Senate Elections than 2016, and more E/N than D&D, but holy poo poo I just got to meet Senator Sherrod Brown and he told me I was doing great work. :dance: :derp: :supaburn: Only guy I could see beating him in 3 years would be Kasich if Kasich decides to run for Senate, which is definitely a possibility. It would also be horrible, because Brown is one of the best drat Senators in this country.

You know what would be a great way to thank Senator Brown?

Making a contribution to your state's Democratic party before the quarter is over.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Which party does Kelly Ayotte represent? Judging by her launch video :iiam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwAE__ElQVc

But you know what's not a mystery? The fact that one of the vets in this has an awesome mustache!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

But you know what's not a mystery? The fact that one of the vets in this has an awesome mustache!

Shoe store! Playground! Veteran! Shaking hands! Garden!

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Ah, the vaunted Linda McMahon strategy once more in action. Looking forward to the "Vote for Clinton....and Ayotte!" in the waning days of the campaign.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

My Imaginary GF posted:

You know what would be a great way to thank Senator Brown?

Making a contribution to your state's Democratic party before the quarter is over.

You've obviously never seen the Rhode Island Democratic Party (should have mentioned I'm not an Ohioite. Ohioan?)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Ohioan

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I believe it's actually Ohioid.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rep. Joe Heck is running for NV Senate, probably the best non-Sandoval candidate the Republicans could recruit.

Also, fun story, Joe Heck is a General in the Army Reserves and was up for a promotion a couple years ago. These promotions require Senate confirmation and his was held up by a certain Senator from Nevada in retribution for McConnell stalling on nomination votes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Joe Sestak will walk 500 miles, including several where children are standing.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Edit: Just beaten, drat it.

GalacticAcid has issued a correction as of 17:37 on Jul 6, 2015

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Rep. Joe Heck is running for NV Senate, probably the best non-Sandoval candidate the Republicans could recruit.

Also, fun story, Joe Heck is a General in the Army Reserves and was up for a promotion a couple years ago. These promotions require Senate confirmation and his was held up by a certain Senator from Nevada in retribution for McConnell stalling on nomination votes.

How does Cortez poll against him?

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Joementum posted:

Why's everyone in PA scared to step up against him? Isn't there a DA somewhere that can do it?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

De Nomolos posted:

Why's everyone in PA scared to step up against him? Isn't there a DA somewhere that can do it?

Looks like there's lots of people willing to step up against him, it's just that he keeps steam-rollering them under his feet.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

De Nomolos posted:

De Nomolos posted:

The state party is backing Allentown Mayor Ed Pawlowski. Allentown City Hall is currently taking some heat from the FBI.

quote:

City officials believe the search was focused on Allentown's contracting process, city spokesman Mike Moore said Friday.

"While the city was not informed of the reasons for this investigation, we believe from the nature of the documents requested that the city's contracting process is under review," he said in a statement.

He added the city believes it has acted "appropriately" and that the investigation will show its process is "fair, open and honest."

So hopefully there's alternative, otherwise we might be stuck with Sestak. Kathleen Kane is the state AG and at one time seemed like the Great Blue Hope, but she's probably toast.

From Allegheny County, I've seen Eugene DePasquale (state Auditor General), Rich Fitzgerald (county Executive, he doesn't have a great reputation with county employees though), and Dave Hickton (US Attorney for Western PA - highly unlikley, really low-key guy without any name recognition) all mentioned. I don't know as much about the rest of the state.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Joementum posted:

There is a man that is not used to being around small children or animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Joementum posted:

whoa new hampshire has a heroin epidemic, i should live there

• Locked thread