Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am pretty sure Marvel does legacy characters more than DC.

They just tend to stick less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Laura's his clone/basically daughter so having her take up that mantle makes sense to me, personally. :shrug:

I kind of agree on the Cap thing, honestly; I do really like Sam Wilson and I'm cool with him taking up the name for a bit but Steve feels more essentially Captain America to me. On the other hand, I'm OK with Kate also being Hawkeye. I think it can vary from character to character.

Though reusing names does get a little frustrating to talk about. (Thor and Lady Thor who's NOT Lady Thor, she's Just Thor! ... Yeah.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am pretty sure Marvel does legacy characters more than DC.

They just tend to stick less.

Yeah, how many loving Captain Marvels did they go through before getting the only legacy version that made a lick of sense?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BuckyCap is superior to Captain Falcon. I dunno, I'm not really feeling Sam in the role for whatever reason.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's probably considered racist but I liked Sam better when Snap Wilson was still a thing, a guy who did bad making good is almost always more interesting then a generic always heroic guy.

They Hal Jordan'd him.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Laura's his clone/basically daughter so having her take up that mantle makes sense to me, personally. :shrug:

To be fair, taking on her former mentor/original copy's clothes and name could be seen as a step back her whole attempt to become a person/find herself, but I'm more concerned about that in the sense that "this is a possible way that change could be handled badly" rather than actually convinced it will be handled badly. I'm pretty excited for and looking forward to it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SirDan3k posted:

It's probably considered racist but I liked Sam better when Snap Wilson was still a thing, a guy who did bad making good is almost always more interesting then a generic always heroic guy.

They Hal Jordan'd him.

Snap was never a real thing. He was always influenced by the cosmic cube.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
The true crime here is that MCU Ant-Man can still talk to ants, but Falcon can't talk to birds anymore.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Well, I don't particularly like being told that "this new person is now [character]" because I've always seen that more as a DC thing where they're superheroes first and people later. You can tell me that the Falcon is now Captain America, but there's only one Cap to me, and that's Steve Rogers. The 1940s origin and being the Man out of Time ect is more important than having an indestructible shield to throw and a flag-based costume. I know that's not why most people are throwing fits but it is something I don't really like.

I have less of a problem with Falcon being Captain America than I do with Ultimate Captain America being Ultimate Captain America.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Four Score posted:

The true crime here is that MCU Ant-Man can still talk to ants, but Falcon can't talk to birds anymore.
This is the thing I want to happen the most out of absolutely anything that could possibly happen in the MCU.

Maybe the Ant-Man film will set up some kind of plot point or precedent for bird-telepathy Falcon. :allears:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Speaking of Marvel changing up its characters, what does everyone think about Salon's suggestion to update Xavier and Magneto into black men of the Civil Rights era?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I wouldn't mind it for Xavier much, but it's an rear end-tearingly bad idea for Magneto for obvious reasons, and the article writer knows those reasons because the reasons are so obvious, but they wants those pageviews so they wrote an article about it anyway.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Space Fish posted:

Speaking of Marvel changing up its characters, what does everyone think about Salon's suggestion to update Xavier and Magneto into black men of the Civil Rights era?

There will be a point when Magneto being a Holocaust survivor will not make sense in Marvel's sliding timescale unless you pull some tricks out of your sleeve, because there will be a point when the oldest Holocaust survivor will be what? 90? A hundred? which doesn't really work for the kind of stuff Magneto usually gets up to. Eli Keel's proposal is hackneyed as all hell, but it's an interesting thought experiment, and it could absolutely work if the entire X-Men line was rebooted from the ground up.

Since that's not gonna happen, the next best thing is probably going to be along the lines of what Morrison did in New X-Men : have Magneto dead, but still existing as this overpowering symbolic figure casting a shadow over everyone. Kinda like what they're doing with Xavier now. But with both of them, fighting beyond the grave through ideology.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

His mutation allows him to live a long time.

There.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BrianWilly posted:

His mutation allows him to live a long time.

There.

He gets a new rejuvenated body every other decade I don't see what the big deal is. Just say he refuses to die until mutants are treated equally or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How did Falcon get his talk to bird powers? Radioactive bird bite?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ElNarez posted:

There will be a point when Magneto being a Holocaust survivor will not make sense in Marvel's sliding timescale unless you pull some tricks out of your sleeve, because there will be a point when the oldest Holocaust survivor will be what? 90? A hundred? which doesn't really work for the kind of stuff Magneto usually gets up to.
They pulled that stuff in, like, the 70s or 80s, but yeah, he would have been 80 or so in his first appearance.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

zoux posted:

How did Falcon get his talk to bird powers? Radioactive bird bite?

cosmic cube shenanigans

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He gets a new rejuvenated body every other decade I don't see what the big deal is. Just say he refuses to die until mutants are treated equally or something.

It's gonna start to be weird when he and Xavier are over a hundred years old.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

Magneto's been turned into a baby, had his brain put in other bodies, and all kinds of poo poo to where his physical age is completely meaningless.

Xavier's currently in a position where aging is not a big issue for him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blockhouse posted:

Magneto's been turned into a baby, had his brain put in other bodies, and all kinds of poo poo to where his physical age is completely meaningless.

It's still going to start to raise a lot of questions about what the gently caress they were doing for extended periods of time, when the X-men were founded, how old Cyclops should be, etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

Xavier's had his entire body cloned.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Before he died, Wolverine was over 120 years old. Yeah, his regeneration justified it pretty well, but my point is this isn't the first time X-Men have had really old dudes running around justified by superpowers/mutations. Maybe longevity is just a side benefit of magnetism.

To be fair, as much as I like him, I think Magneto has been around too long and it wouldn't be a bad thing to kill him off, but the character's age isn't really that big of a deal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Professor X discovered that "Age is just a number, it's about how you feel" is actually totally true and used his telepathy to make himself feel younger.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DrProsek posted:

Before he died, Wolverine was over 120 years old. Yeah, his regeneration justified it pretty well, but my point is this isn't the first time X-Men have had really old dudes running around justified by superpowers/mutations. Maybe longevity is just a side benefit of magnetism.

To be fair, as much as I like him, I think Magneto has been around too long and it wouldn't be a bad thing to kill him off, but the character's age isn't really that big of a deal.

Haven't there been stories set way in the future with Logan looking about like he does now?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Haven't there been stories set way in the future with Logan looking about like he does now?

Logan has the Superman thing, where sometimes, yes, he's functionally immortal and looks 40 forever, and sometimes he just ages much slower, and in 50 years he's got greying hair. Marvel look like they're splitting the difference and having him be an old dude post-SW.

I wonder how they're going to handle the revamps after the event. Like, is the world going to be re-remade, and everyone just acts like there's always been 2 Spider-Men and Wolverine's always been a teen/20-something chick?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Logan has the Superman thing, where sometimes, yes, he's functionally immortal and looks 40 forever, and sometimes he just ages much slower, and in 50 years he's got greying hair. Marvel look like they're splitting the difference and having him be an old dude post-SW.

I wonder how they're going to handle the revamps after the event. Like, is the world going to be re-remade, and everyone just acts like there's always been 2 Spider-Men and Wolverine's always been a teen/20-something chick?

There's already been quite a bit of memory fuckery so they're laying the ground to reset everyone's perceptions to whatever they want. I think it'd be cool if everyone remembered Battleworld going forward though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

No the female wolverine is a clone so if there is no Wolverine then there is no Laura.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Morrison's "Here Comes Tomorrow" arc from New X-Men. I forget how much further in the future it takes place, but it's a healthy amount.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

No the female wolverine is a clone so if there is no Wolverine then there is no Laura.

Well, I mean more along the lines of 'she's been Wolverine for as long as the modern heroes have known a Wolverine', with the idea that Logan was around in WW2 and such.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's nothing to imply any kind of retconning or stuff like that will be happening post-SW and why would they do that that's unnecessarily confusing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only character who I feel really genuinely "ages" badly is The Punisher. You can justify superpowered guys being as old as you need but with Punisher it always feels forced to me. 'Fortunately' we have a new clusterfuck of a war for him to be tied to so his Vietnam-vethood won't be an issue any longer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

There's nothing to imply any kind of retconning or stuff like that will be happening post-SW and why would they do that that's unnecessarily confusing.

Not nearly as confusing as 50 years of shared continuity. I'm not saying they are going to do a reset but there's a reason to do it and that is to bring in new comics readers and free writers from continuity requirements.

In Spider-Gwen universe, did Peter Parker die the same way Gwen did in 616?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

In Spider-Gwen universe, did Peter Parker die the same way Gwen did in 616?

No, he became the Lizard and died after the fight.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Not nearly as confusing as 50 years of shared continuity. I'm not saying they are going to do a reset but there's a reason to do it and that is to bring in new comics readers and free writers from continuity requirements.

Like they did in Crisis of Infinite Earth!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

No, he became the Lizard and died after the fight.

This being Gwen's 'With Great Power...' moment.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Iirc Spider-Gwen's Peter became a lizard because he was obsessed with becoming a super hero like Spider-Gwen.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

redbackground posted:

Morrison's "Here Comes Tomorrow" arc from New X-Men. I forget how much further in the future it takes place, but it's a healthy amount.

Hundred or hundred fifty. One of those.

Old Man Logan after Secret Wars will probably continue Bendis' theme of Wolverine remembering things he shouldn't. Like House of M, he'll probably have all his memories. Him and Old Man Rogers will be the grizzled vets teaching the young generation, and a touchstone for the older readers to comfort themselves while their books are overrun by millenials.

This isn't about rebooting, the continuity isn't nearly messy enough to worry about such a thing, it's about getting IP's in place to take Marvel into the future beyond the current roster of the Avengers movies. Why keep recasting Steve Rogers and Thor with a penis when there's just as viable characters waiting in the wings? It won't be too long before you're buying your kids Squirrel Girl backpacks and Speedball branded bouncy balls.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

Speedball branded bouncy balls.

Will they come with spikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Penance branded cat toys.

• Locked thread