Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
When I play video games, the only requirement I have for their story is for them to be consistent, allow me just enough wiggle-room to immerse myself and kinda forget about the coherence of reality from game world.

What takes me straight out of that is when I meet an NPC that I've been looking forward to meeting and I am given NOTHING in all my choices that reflect how I feel. In all my playthroughs, in all character concepts I've imagined, meeting dad in Fallout 3 falls apart in so many ways.

He admonishes the player character for leaving the vault, where you were safe, ignoring that he forced you, the player to leave in the first place. At no point are you allowed to point this flaw out to him or given any sense of closure in getting him to apologize to you for leaving you in a dangerous situation.

This is why Fallout 3 loses me as a good game. I don't demand a perfect story, I just want something that doesn't kick me in the face and drags me out of the experience. And Bethesda have been really loving bad at this, ever since Morrowind as far as I can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SpookyLizard posted:

This sums up fallout 3's 'plot' fairly well.

Relevant post from the New Vegas thread.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm curious, which things did you guys feel didn't work in New Vegas, without blaming the engine or Bethesda's QA work, just things that were entirely on Obsidian and Fallout 3 genuinely handled better?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ahem I think you'll find the Enclave are bad guys therefore you have to stop them even though they're doing the thing you want to do, they'll be doing it in a way that's EEEEEEEVIL

_________________\|

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm curious, which things did you guys feel didn't work in New Vegas, without blaming the engine or Bethesda's QA work, just things that were entirely on Obsidian and Fallout 3 genuinely handled better?

For someone that supposedly is an infamous Courier, it seemed like no one except that Lonesome Road dude knew you at all.

(Though it has been a while since I played so maybe I misremember)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I never got the impression that you were "infamous", there were just a few people aware that "some courier" got shot by a guy and left for dead and you happened to be them. In Fallout 3 you have some random radio DJ narrating your story for Reasons, because you're the protagonist in a game and they go out of their way to make you feel like the center of attention.

I really like the Mad Max story structure of New Vegas. You're this mysterious loner who appears in town and meets with a bunch of different tribes and solves their problems, then disappears into the wastes when you're done with each of them. The Boomers especially left that impression, because they were total isolationists who believed that "one day an Outsider would come and make contact" and then you are that outsider.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 9, 2015

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The world design, dungeon design, encounters, cities.

There are also more interesting ideas thrown around in Fallout 3, even if the execution is not that great, like a town built around a grounded aircraft carrier orthe vaults you find...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bholder posted:

There are also more interesting ideas thrown around in Fallout 3, even if the execution is not that great, like a town built around a grounded aircraft carrier orthe vaults you find...

You're right, it's a drat shame New Vegas didn't have any vaults... No vaults at all :smith:

The carrier was a legit neat idea though. Shame navigating it was such a bitch of loading screens.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

KillerQueen posted:

Heh, you think video games can have good stories, what kinda dumb idiot poo poo baby are you?
all stories are garbage

qed

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

You're right, it's a drat shame New Vegas didn't have any vaults... No vaults at all :smith:

It had vaults but not exactly interesting ones.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bholder posted:

It had vaults but not exactly interesting ones.

Like the Democracy vault?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Like the Democracy vault?
It didn't have a bunch of guys named Gary who managed to survive for hundreds of years

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
NV should have basically just been an update of Fallout Wasteland Edition with proper Ironsights. They somehow couldn't manage even that, which is pretty indicative of the way Obsidian misinterpreted what was wrong with F3.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 9, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shugojin posted:

Ahem I think you'll find the Enclave are bad guys therefore you have to stop them even though they're doing the thing you want to do, they'll be doing it in a way that's EEEEEEEVIL

_________________\|

Colonel Autumn wanting to just establish rule through hydraulic despotism instead of Eden's ultra-genocide was probably the most interesting part about the Enclave, until Bethesda didn't do anything with it.

quote:

The Boomers especially left that impression, because they were total isolationists who believed that "one day an Outsider would come and make contact" and then you are that outsider.

It's too bad the coolest faction has the most tedious quests. Around the time you're doing chores for House dealing with factions is where the game starts to nosedive for me. New Vegas is bad, the back and forth for the King is horrible (again, best factions shittiest things), the air field is bad, dealing with the Brotherhood and Benny is fun, Omerta's okay, I constantly forget the Great Khans exist, and I always murder Caesar because that brawl escaping is great.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 9, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Colonel Autumn wanting to just establish rule through hydraulic despotism instead of Eden's ultra-genocide was probably the most interesting part about the Enclave, until Bethesda didn't do anything with it.
It set the stage for the comical amount of wasted potential that was Skyrim

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Azhais posted:

Relevant post from the New Vegas thread.

the immortal words of shamus young echo through the internet

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Witcher 3 has very few loading screens.

um do you count all the detective/dialogue/cutscene load screens because the game is 'loaded' with em

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah I liked that it was something resembling a plan that works. Use military might -> seize pure water source -> protect pure water source with military might. Everyone ends up doing what you say because you give the water.

Basically Immortan Joe, except no rape.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Just skimmed through the latter portions of this thread and lol at anyone playing Skyrim or Fallout base game and clutching their pearls about the boring missions. I go in to all these games just expecting to enjoy the world and see how I can break it. The base games always have a handful of decent missions (Emperor assassination and Thalmor embassy missions in Skyrim and a few NV quests come to mind). The DLCs are always better story-wise and if you're a PC gamer, da mods. So I expect to be at minimum content with whatever Fallout 4 offers in the base game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

The Skyrim guilds were beyond terrible. I don't think anyone here is stupid enough to defend them.

e: oh jesus christ you Filthy Casual

The entire Thieves' Guild questline was abominably bad. Even after you become the Guild Master your fellow guild members keep insulting you to your face with the same lines they used when you first showed up.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It set the stage for the comical amount of wasted potential that was Skyrim

I didn't even finish the main quest for that one, what's the point?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

It's not even in the game. That's how little Bethesda did with it.
Seriously though: I think I've only seen that as a fan-explanation. Was there actually anything regarding Autumn's goal & motivation in FO3?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

A scientist and I forget which one says "The Enclave wants to take over the water!"

It's a throwaway line that was a plot better than the one you got.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

I didn't even finish the main quest for that one, what's the point?

you have to kill a dragon thats eating the souls of the dead and you literally go to valhalla to do it. it is fairly cool

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Blue Raider posted:

you have to kill a dragon thats eating the souls of the dead and you literally go to valhalla to do it. it is fairly cool

Yeah in theory it's really cool but it was a very underwhelming fight

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Yeah in theory it's really cool but it was a very underwhelming fight

it was. but i maintain it was a cooler set piece than anything in either fallout 3 or new vegas

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

The Boomers especially left that impression, because they were total isolationists who believed that "one day an Outsider would come and make contact" and then you are that outsider.

It's a bit weird though when the reason nobody talks to them is because they fire artillery at anybody who gets within half a mile.

"One day, an outsider will travel from the fabled lands outside of the airfield and say hello." says the people who have been bombing everyone who tried that to poo poo for the past hundred years.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

It's a bit weird though when the reason nobody talks to them is because they fire artillery at anybody who gets within half a mile.

"One day, an outsider will travel from the fabled lands outside of the airfield and say hello." says the people who have been bombing everyone who tried that to poo poo for the past hundred years.

"Well, it can't be just ANY outsider."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Raygereio posted:

Seriously though: I think I've only seen that as a fan-explanation. Was there actually anything regarding Autumn's goal & motivation in FO3?

Autumn and Eden squabble about it very briefly, but it's mostly only implied to be the wedge between them.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So Chris Avellone has left Obsidian it seems.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mordaedil posted:

He admonishes the player character for leaving the vault, where you were safe, ignoring that he forced you, the player to leave in the first place.

No he didn't. He left notes directly stating "I'm leaving, but stay here, you'll be safe."

Raygereio posted:

Autumn is textually against Eden's "poison the water supply" plan, and you can convince him to gently caress off when you tell him that Eden is doing it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

No he didn't. He left notes directly stating "I'm leaving, but stay here, you'll be safe."

Well I mean James leaving is what pushed the overseer into full on crazy mode and so you had to flee for your life, probably, but yeah.

Lord it was hamfisted.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So Chris Avellone has left Obsidian it seems.

I give him a year at his new job.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shugojin posted:

Well I mean James leaving is what pushed the overseer into full on crazy mode and so you had to flee for your life, probably, but yeah.

Lord it was hamfisted.

"You'll be safe as long as the overseer doesn't have a psychotic break and try to kill everyone. Don't worry, this has never happened in the history of the vaults."

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Caidin posted:

If the rumors are right about him moving to P&P games, he'd be a neat fit into the 13th Age team

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Caidin posted:

Any reason why? He never struck me as Kirkbride-level unhinged.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Raygereio posted:

Autumn is probably the only villain in Fallout 3 that has a reasonably decent motivation: he wants to control the water supply in DC to create an Enclave-led fascist state of sorts. It's not really well-explained in game, but still, it's there.

Of course, that doesn't really explain the need to fight a war over who turns on the purifier first.. :psyduck:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Raygereio posted:

Any reason why? He never struck me as Kirkbride-level unhinged.

He made the following twitter post:

quote:

I have officially left Obsidian Entertainment to accept a sudden opening as the Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor at Hogwarts.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Shugojin posted:

He made the following twitter post:
Note that I didn't say "not unhinged".

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Autumn is probably the only villain in Fallout 3 that has a reasonably decent motivation: he wants to control the water supply in DC to create an Enclave-led fascist state of sorts. It's not really well-explained in game, but still, it's there.
I just got done checking out FO3's dialogue and yeah it's there. But as far as I can tell, only in Autumn's dialogue where you try to talk him into walking away at the end. Which is would explain why I never saw it since i always got tired of the Take it Back sequence at that point and just shot him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Flaky posted:

I actually think it gets a lot more hate than it deserves. James was a pretty good character (for a computer game) all things considered, and at least adequately voice acted, regardless if you like the choice of Liam Neeson. My main criticism if any was that it was a bit too short (I think there's a speedrun of F3 that takes something like 11 minutes), but then I think I had a good 50 hours of exploring under my belt before I tried to finish the main quest (even Moira's quests would probably take at least 10 hours alone). So let me go through from memory what I perceived as some of the strengths and explain some of the weaknesses.

1) The inherent plot was quite compelling. You are searching for your Dad, ostensibly a good-guy but with a cold edge and some genuinely mysterious motivations (why did he abandon you? was it grief over Mommy, was it because of the subtle hints about him and Dr. Lee, was it because of the repressive Vault heirarchy or simple opportunism or was it to save the day for the wasteland inhabitants?) Either way, that's a more subtle character than most computer games manage, and the voice acting carried it very well imo. Plus that opening - that was one of the best openings to any game in recent memory, right up to the harshness of the first vista over the wasteland, and involved me emotionally.

2) He basically pisses off right at the start, relegating the protagonist to a comfortable secondary role in the narrative until the very conclusion. This actually takes a lot of the pressure off the player; they feel they have time to explore the world and do their own thing safe in the knowledge that Dad probably doesn't want to be found for the moment. This forms a kind of tacit approval for the player to ignore the main quest, which is totally fine and basically what should be encouraged in an open world game.

3) You are actually allowed to just stumble upon Dad at various places (Vault 112, Rivet City) without expecting it at all! This is great because it reinforces the causality of the plot, rather than locking the player out of certain areas until the game judges them 'ready' or they have been forced to experience the required amount of 'content' like most games would have done. It doesn't try to retroactively shove missed content down your throat and manages to remain consistent even if you never go near GNR or the DC ruins (the description of which successfully intimidated me for pretty much the entirety of my first playthrough, even if the reality turned out to be underwhelming)

4) Dad actually travels across a significant portion of the overworld, and you as the player are obliged to follow and fight along side him if you choose. That was a really ambitious and epic journey for me - a huge running battle across half the map. Pretty much the only way that this was feasible was to have James marked as essential, so I forgive the designers for that (I died many times and had to reload and rethink that whole previous quest to have enough supplies to survive the journey intact). It might have been cool to have him take a break at some strategic locations rather than simply bee-lining for Rivet City, but it was still fun and intense as hell and I awarded the game credit for its ambition.

5) Once you arrive there are several quests where you take direct instruction from Dad. Like the trip back to Rivet City this is important because it is a sort of emotional rapprochement between the player and Dad, before the inevitable tragic redemption.

Given that the main quest isn't really where most of the value of the game is to be found I think it did a pretty good job. I was way more disappointed when I finished all of Moira's great quests, and then she was the only NPC to offer anything like as many!!! I was psyched for numerous equivalent-length quest trees.

By comparison, the intrinsic motivation of the courier in NV was opaque right from the beginning, which didn't really serve to involve me emotionally at all. I never really was encouraged to become invested in the story, so I found it didn't really matter which 'faction' I supported. There were no sympathetic characters I can remember. This pretty much killed any enthusiasm for me right from the start. I did manage to have fun, but I didn't hang around once I had explored most areas.

The entire questline is totally invalidated right at the end, you're supposed to go into a radioactive room and push a button and die. This is patently retarded because there are both a ghoul (actually healed by radiation) and a robot companion but if you bring them they just give some bullshit "nuh uh you do it bithc" answer. The whole thing is so hamfisted and relies heavily on raw coincidence for it's deus ex machina BS. Frankly I've never actually seen anyone write that many words about it and now you've got me doing it and aaaaaaaaaaah

• Locked thread