Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What happens in the last few minutes of I Still Know What You Did Last Summer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What happens in the last few minutes of I Still Know What You Did Last Summer?

Freddie Prinze Jr. and Jennifer Love Hewitt are married and have a house, the fisherman is hiding there and pulls her under the bed with his hook, go to credits.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Timby posted:

Freddie Prinze Jr. and Jennifer Love Hewitt are married and have a house, the fisherman is hiding there and pulls her under the bed with his hook, go to credits.

Thank you! Hey you don't also post in pet island do you?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I've never understood who the identity of the fisherman was in I Know What You Did Last Summer. Granted, while I'm pretty sure I've seen the whole movie, I've had to cobble it together from various random watchings on TV, I've never just sat down and watched the whole thing through.

I read the book I Know What You Did Last Summer is based on, but I don't remember who the villain was and I think it was only loosely adapted anyway (the book isn't really slasher-y).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

lizardman posted:

I've never understood who the identity of the fisherman was in I Know What You Did Last Summer. Granted, while I'm pretty sure I've seen the whole movie, I've had to cobble it together from various random watchings on TV, I've never just sat down and watched the whole thing through.

IIRC (hint: I do not recall correctly), the guy they hit ended up being the fisherman's son, and he came after the kids as revenge for killing his boy.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The guy they hit in the first movie is the father of a girl killed before the movie began. They think they killed this one guy but they later realize that the person they hit actually killed the person they originally thought they hit because he was responsible for his daughter's death (extremely convoluted)

In the second movie it's the same guy again and his son who has been tricking JLH the whole movie (A hilariously stupid "Will Benson = Will, Ben's Son" reveal)

The Duke fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 9, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Duke posted:

The guy they hit in the first movie is the father of a girl killed before the movie began. They think they killed this one guy but they later realize that the person they hit actually killed the person they originally thought they hit because he was responsible for his daughter's death (extremely convoluted)

In the second movie it's the same guy again and his son who has been tricking JLH the whole movie (A hilariously stupid "Will Benson = Will, Ben's Son" reveal)

Holy poo poo. I always wondered if I should watch that franchise because I watch a large number of horror and slasher films. People told me not to. Now I believe them.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Duke posted:

They think they killed this one guy but they later realize that the person they hit actually killed the person they originally thought they hit because he was responsible for his daughter's death (extremely convoluted)

So the fisherman is the father (per another helpful poster above) of which one of these guys?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

lizardman posted:

So the fisherman is the father (per another helpful poster above) of which one of these guys?

Fisherman had a daughter. Daughter got in a car wreck with some guy (call him X), she died and he was unharmed. Fisherman kills X, then gets run over by the protagonists. The protagonists think that the fisherman is X, and dump his body. Fisherman survives somehow and slowly kills the protagonists.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
....the stalker turning out to just be the guy they ran over in the first place is absolutely the least satisfying resolution of the mystery they could have possibly picked. I mean, geez, why even have a mystery if that's all it was going to be?

I do remember there was a "if you run somebody over, make sure he's really dead!" line at the climax but always figured it referred somehow to the whole mistaken identity plot and was not meant literally.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Also fun fact: If you, like me, were on your school's Geography Bee team, the plot of I Still Know What You Did Last Summer is hilariously, absurdly extra-bad. I would rather watch Lifeboat as a fluent German speaker.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^If you're talking about how Brandy wins a radio contest even though she got the answer to the question wrong - and how it turns out to be a plot point later that "Gasp! Rio De Janero is NOT the capital of Brazil! This whole trip has been a setup from the get-go!" Oh, yes, I remember.

Now, I'd be willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt that the wrong answer was meant to be foreshadowing for those who know their geography (personally I remember thinking, 'I thought it was Brasilia. Odd...') and not that they figured every audience member would be surprised at the SHOCKING truth.... but these two movies have not been convincing me to afford them that leniency.

Was there any explanation at all for how the stalker managed to manipulate the radio DJ to go along with the bogus contest, or how he knew Brandy and Jennifer Love Hewitt would be listening at that moment, and that they would be interested enough to call and enter the contest, and how he made sure that their call would be the one that would be answered?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
The third one makes it even more convoluted, where it turns out the killer is the zombie of the killer in the first one, resurrected by his anger that some other kids got away with vehicular homicide or something like that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

User-Friendly posted:

The third one makes it even more convoluted, where it turns out the killer is the zombie of the killer in the first one, resurrected by his anger that some other kids got away with vehicular homicide or something like that.

What's the third one called? "Seriously folks, I still, still know what you did last summer."

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Skwirl posted:

What's the third one called? "Seriously folks, I still, still know what you did last summer."

I'LL ALWAYS KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Everblight posted:

Also fun fact: If you, like me, were on your school's Geography Bee team, the plot of I Still Know What You Did Last Summer is hilariously, absurdly extra-bad. I would rather watch Lifeboat as a fluent German speaker.

Not a fact, also wasn't fun.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

What's with Paul Giamatti's character hating Merlot in Sideways? Is that supposed to be a wine snobbery character trait or what?

Yaws fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 10, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yaws posted:

What's with Paul Giamatti's character hating Merlot in Sideways? I that supposed to be a wine snobbery character trait or what?

It's just showing him being a snob, Merlot is a very popular and very common varietal, compare that to the way he talks about Pinot Noir.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The best part is that Merlot sales went down after that walking DUII snubbed it.

I liked the movie (and the characters) though, it just seemed weird.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

lizardman posted:

^If you're talking about how Brandy wins a radio contest even though she got the answer to the question wrong - and how it turns out to be a plot point later that "Gasp! Rio De Janero is NOT the capital of Brazil! This whole trip has been a setup from the get-go!" Oh, yes, I remember.

Now, I'd be willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt that the wrong answer was meant to be foreshadowing for those who know their geography (personally I remember thinking, 'I thought it was Brasilia. Odd...') and not that they figured every audience member would be surprised at the SHOCKING truth.... but these two movies have not been convincing me to afford them that leniency.

Was there any explanation at all for how the stalker managed to manipulate the radio DJ to go along with the bogus contest, or how he knew Brandy and Jennifer Love Hewitt would be listening at that moment, and that they would be interested enough to call and enter the contest, and how he made sure that their call would be the one that would be answered?

IIRC (and again, it's been years, I probably do not recall correctly), they called the girls, with like, "you've randomly been selected. Answer now!" so the whole thing was fake.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

User-Friendly posted:

I'LL ALWAYS KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER

The sequels really should have been called " I Still Know What You Did Two Summers Ago" and " I Still Know What You Did Three Summers Ago"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The sequels really should have been called " I Still Know What You Did Two Summers Ago" and " I Still Know What You Did Three Summers Ago"

"Hey, you remember that thing you did a few summers back? I still know."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

computer parts posted:

Fisherman had a daughter. Daughter got in a car wreck with some guy (call him X), she died and he was unharmed. Fisherman kills X, then gets run over by the protagonists. The protagonists think that the fisherman is X, and dump his body. Fisherman survives somehow and slowly kills the protagonists.

Isn't that a very advantageous series of events for the Fisherman? I mean, if he never started killing teens then he would've had the dead body disposed for him and gotten away with the murder through virtue of other people thinking they are responsible.

Did he just hold a grudge because it could've been him they dumped if he'd died or what?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PriorMarcus posted:

Isn't that a very advantageous series of events for the Fisherman? I mean, if he never started killing teens then he would've had the dead body disposed for him and gotten away with the murder through virtue of other people thinking they are responsible.

Did he just hold a grudge because it could've been him they dumped if he'd died or what?

No, he was dumped. Basically he dropped X's body off in the woods, was crossing the street to go home, and got hit. Then the kids took him to a pier and dumped him in the water.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I watched Panic Room for the first time last night. One detail that is bothering me is when the cops first arrive and ask Jodie Foster to give them a signal of some sort if she needs help, she appears to do nothing, so why do they return with a full SWAT team?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

couldcareless posted:

I watched Panic Room for the first time last night. One detail that is bothering me is when the cops first arrive and ask Jodie Foster to give them a signal of some sort if she needs help, she appears to do nothing, so why do they return with a full SWAT team?

Because the one cop obviously doesn't buy it, I guess.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Most of the comments I've read searching for this answer say something along those lines, but it doesn't feel very much like Fincher to just use a "hunch" to drive that home.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
She does her best to give no signal but is obviously scared. The cop can tell but doesn't let on. It seems very Fincher to me.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Skwirl posted:

It's just showing him being a snob, Merlot is a very popular and very common varietal, compare that to the way he talks about Pinot Noir.
I'm not positive, but isn't his big special occasion bottle of wine a merlot?

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Crumps Brother posted:

I'm not positive, but isn't his big special occasion bottle of wine a merlot?

Yep. Chateau Cheval Blanc is a Cabernet Franc/Merlot/Cab Sav blend.

I once met a friend of the screenwriter who told me Miles' hate of Merlot was simply the result of it being his ex-wife's drink of choice. That line hit the cutting room floor and changed the context of the scene.

Result: A drop in Merlot sales in the U.S

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The industry should've just done a Chilean sea bass style rebranding.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I had a question about the Academy Awards. What criteria determine whether someone is nominated for Best Actor/Actress or Best Supporting Actor/Actress? I recently learned that Al Pacino received a Best Supporting Actor nomination for his role in The Godfather, which seems weird to me because his character is the central focus of the narrative. Was Marlon Brando nominated for Best Actor because he was better-known at that time?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Samuel Clemens posted:

I had a question about the Academy Awards. What criteria determine whether someone is nominated for Best Actor/Actress or Best Supporting Actor/Actress? I recently learned that Al Pacino received a Best Supporting Actor nomination for his role in The Godfather, which seems weird to me because his character is the central focus of the narrative. Was Marlon Brando nominated for Best Actor because he was better-known at that time?

Basically what the studio in question wants to put. There was an actress not too long ago who was put in Best Supporting because Best Actress was full of very tough candidates.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Basically what the studio in question wants to put. There was an actress not too long ago who was put in Best Supporting because Best Actress was full of very tough candidates.

Yeah, I'm definitely not an expert on how the academy works, but I'm pretty sure the answer to almost everything is "bullshit politics".

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't know about back then, but right now nominations are done by the actors branch of the Academy, who decide who's nominated and in which category. (Then the entire Academy votes on who wins.) Studios lobby and advertise for people to get nominations in whatever category they think best fits them/best suits their chance to win, but they cant get snubbed. https://www.thewrap.com/whats-lead-whats-supporting-and-who-really-decides-8580/

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker

Allyn posted:

I don't know about back then, but right now nominations are done by the actors branch of the Academy, who decide who's nominated and in which category.
The same goes for directors choosing the director nominees, etc.

Except for the nominees for the Best Documentary category which are chosen by a trained monkey name Mr. Phipps.

Heteroy fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 14, 2015

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Thanks for the article, that clears it up nicely.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Why did Speed Racer bomb so hard anyways? Rad movie

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Why did Speed Racer bomb so hard anyways? Rad movie

Coming out the week after Iron Man probably didn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Can anyone think of a big-budget movie that was popular with critics (at the time of release) but bombed at the box office. I know some major releases gain cult status over time, but the praise doesn't come until after the fact. A hypothetical example: if Fury Road, with all the rave reviews, somehow bombed at the box office.