Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kyrosiris posted:

I think we're out of FF games for him to hate-play?

Think he means lowered? Because the goal is still there on the site widget. But yes I don't expect any promises if we beat the goal this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ugato posted:

Think he means lowered? Because the goal is still there on the site widget. But yes I don't expect any promises if we beat the goal this year.

Well, the widget's goal is always half of what he puts up a "bounty" for, so to speak; the first goal on the widget last year was 5k but he put up a hate-playthrough of FFT for 10k.

By that logic he's expecting 15k this year.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kyrosiris posted:

Well, the widget's goal is always half of what he puts up a "bounty" for, so to speak; the first goal on the widget last year was 5k but he put up a hate-playthrough of FFT for 10k.

By that logic he's expecting 15k this year.

Ahhhh, I didn't realize that. I came in late last year. Excellent, hopefully we can make it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Still blows my mind that RK hates Tactics.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Twelve by Pies posted:

A heretic coming to church... pretty bold.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Twelve by Pies posted:

When you realize he's a fan of Kawazu and the SaGa series, it makes more sense.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Kyrosiris posted:

That's silly, I love SaGa as well and Tactics is still one of my favorite games.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dr Pepper posted:

I bet I could do a Low Level Fiesta as long as I got Bard and/or Chemist.

If you make a serious attempt at this, I'll match your job fair expenses and throw in an extra $50.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

Quick, someone make him run Unlimited Saga!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

Quick, someone make him run Unlimited Saga!

I doubt the internet could raise enough money to inflict that upon one person.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ultrafilter posted:

If you make a serious attempt at this, I'll match your job fair expenses and throw in an extra $50.

Well now I have to give it a try.

I'll do a standard run, and Job Fair in a Bard or Chemist if I don't get one.

Edit: Also Job Fairing away Monk because seriously.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, I'd need Knight or White Mage or Ninja.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 8, 2015

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Dr Pepper posted:

Well now I have to give it a try.

I'll do a standard run, and Job Fair in a Bard or Chemist if I don't get one.

Edit: Also Job Fairing away Monk because seriously.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, I'd need Knight or White Mage too.

What level(s) do you think would be feasible for you? I'm trying to think of a good way to incentivize this further with adding my own donation/pledge.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ugato posted:

What level(s) do you think would be feasible for you? I'm trying to think of a good way to incentivize this further with adding my own donation/pledge.

$X - highest level

Actually I'll do this pledge for the low level run. Starting at $50.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Asiina posted:

$X - highest level

Sure, I'll do this (what I assume you intended).

$(99-x)

-$10 for each job fair just to force him to try harder job comps in the name of charity.

Actually, tell you what - I'll double down on that. I'll donate a matching percentage next year to the berserker fund, reduced by the number of job fairs.

0 - 100%
1 - 75%
2 - 50%
3 - 25%
4 - 0

But no pressure!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ugato posted:

I think that in a Low Level Fiesta, the lowest I could get is a party average of 7 9 10 sheesh that's twice what a normal LL playthrough would have..

I've registered a Team750 run, because let's face it I'm going to get a lot more out of the Mage classes for a LL4JF.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 8, 2015

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I picked my unfinished 2nd fiesta run from last year today. It was a random run and I ended up with Thief, Knight, Beastmaster and Summoner. I've never done the Sealed Temple before, but don't I just need Thief and Beastmaster to get through it? Do you guys think that I have a feasible team to get to and beat Enuo?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You also need a source of non-elemental magic damage, but you have that with Summoner.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Evil Eagle posted:

I picked my unfinished 2nd fiesta run from last year today. It was a random run and I ended up with Thief, Knight, Beastmaster and Summoner. I've never done the Sealed Temple before, but don't I just need Thief and Beastmaster to get through it? Do you guys think that I have a feasible team to get to and beat Enuo?

Killing Neo-Shinryu without Chemist would be a pain in the loving rear end.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

You need a Thief to dash past a waterfall, a Beastmaster cause some guy needs a Behemoth before he lets you progress, and a way to kill Archeodemon, which requires non-elemental damage, or a way to deplete all his MP so he can't cast Death on himself to revive. Bahamut should work just fine, so you can totally do it.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
That team should be enough to kill everything in there, though Neo Shinryu will require a good chunk of leveling and luck.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Also I'm popping this in here: Mega64 is a madman and I come up with creative names.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Dr Pepper posted:

I think that in a Low Level Fiesta, the lowest I could get is a party average of 7 9 10 sheesh that's twice what a normal LL playthrough would have..

I've registered a Team750 run, because let's face it I'm going to get a lot more out of the Mage classes for a LL4JF.

Yeah I thought you'd be doing a normal run so I guessed level 10 or so with at least 1 job fair, pretty decent likelihood for 2, which would be $69 this year and 3 and a half berserkers next year.

750 definitely seems like lower odds for rerolls, though. I foresee blue mage/summoner/bard/chemist.

ampillion
Oct 29, 2014
I figured I would pop in again and say this much: The folks in the #ff5fiesta IRC are pretty awesome dudes, and it can be handy to have a room full of vets to bounce things off of, when your run starts to go awry, or your brain just stops working and you forget where poo poo is.

Special thanks to Loon for the Son/Dawn of Fiesta vids that got me back to finally finishing the drat game at least five or so years after first starting it.

JibberJabberwocky
Mar 24, 2012

I watered the berserker tree to the tune of $50. I want to see it get to the point where everyone gets three. So #berserkerrisk becomes #justfuckmeup - this is my secret hope. Accordingly same pledge as usual. 10 for a win, 20 for a win with a berserker, 30 for a win with omega or shinryu, 40 for a win with both. I'll come up with something else if I end up with 4 berserkers or something. God I hope someone ends up with 4 berserkers.

I also went with Chaos. I'm doing practice runs now, just rolling on a chart of the 20 valid classes when I break a crystal. Rolled a four sided die and got a 4 so my "break earth crystal" job will be Berserker. Of course I think I'll probably end up with 2 if we go like last year. So far Knight for wind (lucky!), and Dancer for water so that'll be nice when I break Earth. Headed for Fire crystal now. I wonder if I am supposed to keep everyone Knight or make at least one person Bare until Fire. Probably keep everyone Knight.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

JibberJabberwocky posted:

I also went with Chaos. I'm doing practice runs now, just rolling on a chart of the 20 valid classes when I break a crystal. Rolled a four sided die and got a 4 so my "break earth crystal" job will be Berserker. Of course I think I'll probably end up with 2 if we go like last year. So far Knight for wind (lucky!), and Dancer for water so that'll be nice when I break Earth. Headed for Fire crystal now. I wonder if I am supposed to keep everyone Knight or make at least one person Bare until Fire. Probably keep everyone Knight.

Presumably, unless you're running Natural (don't run Natural), once a job is unlocked everyone can use it.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I'm glad this thread full of knowledgeable people exists, because I decided to sign up for the Fiesta this year and I'm pretty bad at FFV.

I wonder if I am supposed to keep everyone Knight or make at least one person Bare until Fire. Probably keep everyone Knight.

After you get your first job, no one is allowed to be Bare.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I'm kinda broke for the charity half, but I'll sign up for the Fiesta run! I'm sure never having played FF5 before will only enhance the experience.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Welp I suppose since I hosed up my back something fierce I can do nothing else but play Fiesta Practice runs till my eyes bleed. :v:

StrangeAeon posted:

I'm kinda broke for the charity half, but I'll sign up for the Fiesta run! I'm sure never having played FF5 before will only enhance the experience.

We're just over half berzerker saturation currently.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 9, 2015

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Welp I suppose since I hosed up my back something fierce I can do nothing else but play Fiesta Practice runs till my eyes bleed. :v:

We're just over half berzerker saturation currently.

....!

Even should I end with 4 Berserkers, I shall persevere in gratitude for this.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Poque posted:

Did he do FF8? Every play of that is a hate-play.

but FF8 is cool :confused:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Luceid posted:

but FF8 is cool :confused:

The correct response is "...whatever"

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
My only prep was to , for some reason I can't fathom why I thought this would be a good idea, I got myself psyched up for actually finishing my run this year by playing final fantasy 1 - 4 and playing all the versions of those that had secret dungeons and extra content so I could really just hate myself.

I just finished the lunar ruins in 4 on gba last night and I'm considering just playing through 5 normally and seeing how far I can get in the series before the 22nd...

JibberJabberwocky
Mar 24, 2012

Finished Fire Crystal. Had 4 knights so I had to basically wait til he went tornado, let him run out of MP, potion my guys to full from his blaze, and then every time he landed on tornado, potion heal with the 99 potions I brought for this purpose. Everyone is in the best gear from Karnak, and I just rolled my final class. We knew I was gonna get Berserker for earth, I have Knight, Dancer, and... Monk. Knight Dancer Monk Berserker.

Welp.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Knight Dancer Monk Berserker..

Yikes.

JibberJabberwocky
Mar 24, 2012

This is good practice. That is what I will keep telling myself. Getting a monk in the real run is gonna suck, since earlygame is their only truly useful time, but right now 3 are monks because outstripping Byblos' drain is definitely not a problem. Once I break earth crystal and my official berserker shows up + I get dancer unlocked, this is gonna be interesting. I'll thief's dagger a rainbow dress and give the dancer the chicken knife. I haven't gotten Dancer OR monk in ANY of my previous runs last year so I guess I should brush up. Knight is a solid mainstay I guess.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

This is good practice. That is what I will keep telling myself. Getting a monk in the real run is gonna suck, since earlygame is their only truly useful time, but right now 3 are monks because outstripping Byblos' drain is definitely not a problem. Once I break earth crystal and my official berserker shows up + I get dancer unlocked, this is gonna be interesting. I'll thief's dagger a rainbow dress and give the dancer the chicken knife. I haven't gotten Dancer OR monk in ANY of my previous runs last year so I guess I should brush up. Knight is a solid mainstay I guess.

Is it bad that I almost feel like you'd be better served with Equip Swords on the Dancer? Think about it - give them the Defender from Fork Tower, and between a Ribbon, the Dress, and Sandals, you have a zippy beater with weapon block and gobs of defense (Rainbow Dress and Ribbon are almost best-in-class, defense wise). Putting Knight strength behind !Dance makes those Sword Dances pop off even harder.

Wouldn't do poo poo against magic, though, I guess. :v:

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
You know, I'm kind of surprised no one has ever made a low-level run patch for ff5. Then you wouldn't have to fiddle with !capture and such to bypass unavoidable exp.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

It does at least have some melee-dude synergy. Kyrosiris is right that you should play around with Equip Swords and Equip Axes on the other characters, and you've also got multiple viable options for the Berserker in Equip Swords (for exploiting certain elemental and status vulnerabilities), Equip Ribbon, and Doublehand. You can also give HP+30% to the Dancer and hopefully not get oneshot by Almagest.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

You can also give HP+30% to the Dancer and hopefully not get oneshot by Almagest.

Yeah, HP+30% shaves five levels off of what you need to have a comfortable (50-60) HP threshold - level 43 with, level 48 without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Huh. I'm kinda surprised that the Fiesta isn't listed as an event on the Child's Play website.

• Locked thread