Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Croccers posted:

I just did this fight. Played out like a standard 3-stage video game boss fight to me. :shrug:
-Get his health down, he goes into the shield and summons the dogs to recover HP.
-Kill the hounds and you fight him again.
-Whittle his HP down and goes into another shield and more dogs.
-Kill those ones and he'll fight to the end.
You don't really have any point to run into his shield, you have tons of space to fight.

What bugs me about the combat is that striking someone doesn't cancel their animation, so in group combat you'll just go tit-for-tat hurting each other at the same time.
And you can't apply oil in combat. At least give the player a grace period at the start of combat to apply one if they want.

Then it's either bugged or not scripted, because in the last fight he only did it once while having almost full health and then just stood there blocking, which resulted in a loop of heavy attack-dodge-heavy attack, repeat until he died.

And enemy's poise seems awfully inconsistent, sometimes they're stunned, sometimes not - I've had the very same enemy, using the very same weapon, being almost stunlocked by continuous heavy attacks, then it stopped working and he killed me, and he decided not to be bothered by my heavy attacks the other time around. Oh well, can't be helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

muscles like this? posted:

I've definitely had moments where I've been in combat and the game tells me I can't apply an oil. So there's something there.

Again, combat is inconsistent as gently caress. Even staggering enemies doesn't seem to work reliably as the same amount of damage doesn't always knock them out of the same animation.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

I've definitely had moments where I've been in combat and the game tells me I can't apply an oil. So there's something there.
Seems like you can't do it in boss fights. I was fighting Jenny o' The Woods just now and remembered half-way in the fight I have ghostbuster oil, wouldn't let me apply it mid-fight. I'd record it if OBS didn't instantly crash the game (Without any errors or anything). Come to think of it how do you even screenshot in non-Steam versions of the game? I'm used to just hitting F12 and it works :(

And yeah, you can stagger enemies with a heavy attack if they're not blocking most of the time, but while you're twirling they've hit you 1-2 times already (More if you're fighting a group) and the stagger is half-pointless now.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I really wanted to like Gods Will Be Watching. Even the story of the game itself is likable--it's the product of one of those "create a game in X hours" competitions that was kickstarted and turned into a full-length game. I dig the story, told in-game through vignettes you play through to learn about the characters and their motivations. You even (kind of) get to author their histories by making important choices and the game tells you at the end of each section how your decisions compared to the average player's. Very cool.

But gently caress, why did they have to be so ham-fisted about the theme/motif of sacrifice? The player character's name is Burden (:rolleyes:), and he has to make all the hard choices. Some of them are obvious (don't give a pep-talk about death when you're stranded on an alien planet with little hope of survival) and some of them aren't, but sometimes you get stuck being the bad guy because of the downright malicious RNG.

Seriously, gently caress the RNG. I get that they want you to play a lot and lose a lot and try everything out but goddrat, doing the same poo poo over and over and failing constantly isn't a gameplay feature, it's tedium.

When you finally get to the end, you figure out (ending spoilers ahead for those of you who might actually stick with this poo poo long enough to finish it) exactly why they wanted you to fail so much--the BIG SUPER CLEVER REVEAL is that the players are the gods, controlling Burden's every move, over and over again. He never knows why, just that he keeps failing, and he's done it millions upon millions of times. Get it? Because so many people played the game and failed so many times!

I wouldn't be so disappointed except for the fact that they ruined their chance to make the reveal meaningful by botching the "I remember these decisions" sequence. Guys and gals, if he's done this literally millions of times, you need to show more than three loving events in your EPIC MEMORY SEQUENCE, for gently caress's sake.

It could've been so much better :eng99:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Welp. Was gonna pick it up despite what I've heard about the RNG, but not after reading that. What a moronic twist.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
That sounds like the ending to an M. Night Shamalyn movie.

What a twist :smug:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
This is an extremely little thing, but in Rune Factory 4, your character winds up with amnesia very shortly after the start of the game and winds up being mistaken for a prince named Arthur (at least, on the boy's side; I haven't played through the girl intro). Sadly, the dialogue doesn't change at all if you actually name your character Arthur, which gets into 'Prince Damien? My name is Damien!' silliness.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

This is an extremely little thing, but in Rune Factory 4, your character winds up with amnesia very shortly after the start of the game and winds up being mistaken for a prince named Arthur (at least, on the boy's side; I haven't played through the girl intro). Sadly, the dialogue doesn't change at all if you actually name your character Arthur, which gets into 'Prince Damien? My name is Damien!' silliness.

Nanaki is Nanaki.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I really wanted to like Gods Will Be Watching. Even the story of the game itself is likable--it's the product of one of those "create a game in X hours" competitions that was kickstarted and turned into a full-length game. I dig the story, told in-game through vignettes you play through to learn about the characters and their motivations. You even (kind of) get to author their histories by making important choices and the game tells you at the end of each section how your decisions compared to the average player's. Very cool.

But gently caress, why did they have to be so ham-fisted about the theme/motif of sacrifice? The player character's name is Burden (:rolleyes:), and he has to make all the hard choices. Some of them are obvious (don't give a pep-talk about death when you're stranded on an alien planet with little hope of survival) and some of them aren't, but sometimes you get stuck being the bad guy because of the downright malicious RNG.

Seriously, gently caress the RNG. I get that they want you to play a lot and lose a lot and try everything out but goddrat, doing the same poo poo over and over and failing constantly isn't a gameplay feature, it's tedium.

When you finally get to the end, you figure out (ending spoilers ahead for those of you who might actually stick with this poo poo long enough to finish it) exactly why they wanted you to fail so much--the BIG SUPER CLEVER REVEAL is that the players are the gods, controlling Burden's every move, over and over again. He never knows why, just that he keeps failing, and he's done it millions upon millions of times. Get it? Because so many people played the game and failed so many times!

I wouldn't be so disappointed except for the fact that they ruined their chance to make the reveal meaningful by botching the "I remember these decisions" sequence. Guys and gals, if he's done this literally millions of times, you need to show more than three loving events in your EPIC MEMORY SEQUENCE, for gently caress's sake.

It could've been so much better :eng99:

I just tried this for the first time tonight after getting it months ago in a steam sale, and played the first mission for a few minutes. It seems like I have to juggle a ton of poo poo all at the same time, but occasionally things just happen and I lose. I guess its back to the WHY? section of the steam list.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

I just tried this for the first time tonight after getting it months ago in a steam sale, and played the first mission for a few minutes. It seems like I have to juggle a ton of poo poo all at the same time, but occasionally things just happen and I lose. I guess its back to the WHY? section of the steam list.

They're also selling it for over $10 despite having all those spoilers in the original flash game from what I remember. So you're basically paying to play an expanded version of the flash game (which sucked).

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Bushmaori posted:

Nanaki is Nanaki.

Nadia, that is, Proncess Nadia...
Actually you could do this for pretty much every character in Chrono Trigger.

Although now I'm going to have to go talk about Mother 3 in the little things thread

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Am I alone in thinking crafting is dumb? Why would a baseball bat break after using it five times?

In The Last Of Us, why are there broken scissor arms everywhere? Was one of the early symptoms of the zombie mushroom disease that people run around breaking all the scissors they can find? In the Dead Space games, the survival horror atmosphere is undercut a little when you cheerfully stomp the poo poo out of all the corpses you come across to get credits to upgrade your dumb space janitor suit.

I wish crafting and upgrading would have stayed in poo poo awful RPGs and out of action games where it's just a tedious hindrance.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Witcher 3 is a gorgeous game, which is why it's especially galling that there's absolutely constant armour clipping in completely scripted sequences. Obviously designing clothing to realistically shift around would be a massive technical hurdle, so why didn't the animators just not make characters act out poses that cause clipping? And I'm not talking about dynamic gameplay where you can't predict exactly what everyone is wearing, there's clipping in the 100% scripted opening hours of the game. Geralt's favourite conversation pose is a hunched forward posture that always makes his right arm clip through his right shoulder pad. I just don't get all the effort that went into making this game look as good as it does, for this sloppiness to get a pass.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

DStecks posted:

Witcher 3 is a gorgeous game, which is why it's especially galling that there's absolutely constant armour clipping in completely scripted sequences. Obviously designing clothing to realistically shift around would be a massive technical hurdle, so why didn't the animators just not make characters act out poses that cause clipping? And I'm not talking about dynamic gameplay where you can't predict exactly what everyone is wearing, there's clipping in the 100% scripted opening hours of the game. Geralt's favourite conversation pose is a hunched forward posture that always makes his right arm clip through his right shoulder pad. I just don't get all the effort that went into making this game look as good as it does, for this sloppiness to get a pass.

Are you still wearing the armor you get at the beginning? that one is awful because it clips through everything.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Are you still wearing the armor you get at the beginning? that one is awful because it clips through everything.

I'm not far enough in the game to have anything else.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A similar thing I noticed when doing a quest for Radovid was that when he held his arms a certain way you could see the forearms didn't go all the way up to his shoulders. Which seems like something they should have noticed since it was a scripted thing in a conversation.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

DStecks posted:

I'm not far enough in the game to have anything else.

Yeah, the armor gets better then, don't worry

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
On sleeveless armours Geralt's muscles clip through his chest. :psyduck:

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

poptart_fairy posted:

On sleeveless armours Geralt's muscles clip through his chest. :psyduck:

In this case, let's just pretend it's magic and not a bug.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

A similar thing I noticed when doing a quest for Radovid was that when he held his arms a certain way you could see the forearms didn't go all the way up to his shoulders. Which seems like something they should have noticed since it was a scripted thing in a conversation.

It would probably be weirder if his forearms DID go up to his shoulders.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm enjoying Kingdoms of Amalur, but I wish there wasn't so much NPC exclusive poo poo. I'm supposed to be rewriting my own destiny and I can't even wield lances or summon tornadoes like literally every other humanoid in Amalur? Also I wish there was viable hand-to-hand but this is far from the only game lacking that.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It has probably been mentioned before, but I'm going to say Bravely Default.
Without going into too much detail, it's pretty much the same X number of bosses over and over and over again, but they spice it up by doing different combinations.

"Ok, so you fought the Red Mage as a solo boss. But this time, he's teamed up with the Summoner and the Archer! And THIS time, he's back to solo, until halfway through, then the Black Mage shows up!"

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

the_steve posted:

It has probably been mentioned before, but I'm going to say Bravely Default.
Without going into too much detail, it's pretty much the same X number of bosses over and over and over again, but they spice it up by doing different combinations.

I really enjoyed that game for what it was, but yes at the end it became a goddamn slog. I also liked what they were trying with the Brave/Default system, but I think it could use some refinement to tune the difficulty levels a little. I'm interested to see what the sequel does to improve.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Poulpe posted:

I really enjoyed that game for what it was, but yes at the end it became a goddamn slog. I also liked what they were trying with the Brave/Default system, but I think it could use some refinement to tune the difficulty levels a little. I'm interested to see what the sequel does to improve.

I thought the B/D system was really clever and added some depth and strategy...for the first several hours. Then I started to feel like it was the cheap gloss finish trying to cover up a flaking, rusty paint job. The basic Final Fantasy style turn based battle system is fine in my mind but then suddenly there's a small quality of life improvement to it and it makes me realize what a slog it really is. Like putting lipstick on a 80 hour pig.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
FFXIV end game raids.

Yes, they're end game right now so of course they're going to be difficult and require teamwork. No, I don't think having 5+ phases for one fight that goes on longer than 20-30 minutes with a billion mechanics is fun, nor is it challenging other than getting good at playing the mmo equivalent of simon says.

For example, in one raid T9 you have a billion things you need to worry about. Okay, so colour coded meteors drop and you have to place them in specific places. Whatever. But then the boss is also doing Aoe attacks and throwing debuffs on you that you need to manage. Oh wait, now golems got summoned and if they get too close you wipe. If they eat too many meteors you wipe. If you fart in their general direction you wipe. Now there's tonnes of dragons firing debuffs and poo poo. Oh no the dragoon farted in the direction of a dragon you're all dead, try again.

Holy poo poo I really don't like this.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Poulpe posted:

Oh, I enjoy it too. And I LOVE that you can shut off random encounters.
Hell, I'm actually farming Megalixirs right now for the big "All Job Classes at Once" optional boss fight.

And I like the point they were making with the story, the whole parallel worlds, Airy being evil, finding out more of the big picture by more or less Groundhog Day'ing it, but they made their point with the twist and big plot reveals, and then made you rinse and repeat 3 more times anyways.

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Welp. Was gonna pick it up despite what I've heard about the RNG, but not after reading that. What a moronic twist.

There's a setting you can pick at the start of the game to turn off the RNG bullshit. While the game warns you its not the "original vision" it's better in every single way and you don't miss out on anything at all.

The game lets you choose between having RNG elements or not. Said RNG is stupid and bad but you're free to just turn it off and lose nothing.

Contrecoup has a new favorite as of 04:03 on Jun 9, 2015

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I love Valkyria Chronicles, but the ranking system is dragging it down for me.

When you have battles, you get a ranking from A-D I believe. The ranking is almost entirely based on the number of turns you take to complete the battle. So even though the game gives you a cool tank, and interesting character classes, the way to get an A is to ignore any semblance of tactics and run your units with the highest move speed right into the fray. You can kind of scum the turn/targeting system in a way that you could have one unit standing in the open around 3 bad guys, and kill them all with little difficulty.

I guess I like that I have the choice to play conventionally, or like this; but I don't like that my Experience and Cash are hugely affected by rank.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

the_steve posted:

"Ok, so you fought the Red Mage as a solo boss. But this time, he's teamed up with the Summoner and the Archer! And THIS time, he's back to solo, until halfway through, then the Black Mage shows up!"

I actually thought that was pretty neat, since every iteration of the boss fights played completely differently. You see new strategies form and need to plan your own out in turn, with each one generally being harder than the last.

I never actually beat all the final-cycle job bosses, the Salve Master-Black Mage-Conjurer (I think) fight did me in before I could even do any damage.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why in the blazing fucks does Binding of Issac have 2 loving items that teleport you out of rooms when you get hit, I just lost a run that should have been a win because of that loving poo poo,.

I mean you can at least drop one of them but not the other one.

Hell a better question would be why does BoI Rebirth have such a staggering amount of worthless, useless poo poo, the item is bloated with garbage.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Captain Lavender posted:

I love Valkyria Chronicles, but the ranking system is dragging it down for me.

I don't like that my Experience and Cash are hugely affected by rank.

You're swimming in both by the end even if you only manage average ranks, so don't worry about it. You also get bonuses for killing enemy units, tanks, and leaders, so if you know you're going to take ages to finish a battle, have some fun with that fancy tank and go mow everyone down before fulfilling your objective :)

You can also just play how you want and go back later to do the battle over in NG+ if you're obsessed with acing every mission. There's no penalty for re-playing previous missions, plus in NG+ you keep all your troops' levels, making it a cakewalk.

ScreamingNinja
Oct 2, 2004
An Awesome Dude

Alteisen posted:

Why in the blazing fucks does Binding of Issac have 2 loving items that teleport you out of rooms when you get hit, I just lost a run that should have been a win because of that loving poo poo,.

I mean you can at least drop one of them but not the other one.

Hell a better question would be why does BoI Rebirth have such a staggering amount of worthless, useless poo poo, the item is bloated with garbage.

Good old Crystal skull fucks me all the time when I forget what it does and then never find another trinket to replace it with. Whats the other one that cant be dropped?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
You can drop trinkets by holding the swap trinket button.

The cursed eye can't be dropped, but only teleports you while the shot is charging.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You're swimming in both by the end even if you only manage average ranks, so don't worry about it. You also get bonuses for killing enemy units, tanks, and leaders, so if you know you're going to take ages to finish a battle, have some fun with that fancy tank and go mow everyone down before fulfilling your objective :)

You can also just play how you want and go back later to do the battle over in NG+ if you're obsessed with acing every mission. There's no penalty for re-playing previous missions, plus in NG+ you keep all your troops' levels, making it a cakewalk.

Well, hey that's good to know, thanks. I do really like the game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ScreamingNinja posted:

Good old Crystal skull fucks me all the time when I forget what it does and then never find another trinket to replace it with. Whats the other one that cant be dropped?

The Tick, which at least gives you additional health from time to time. The Crystal Skull can be gotten rid of, unless I'm really mistaken.

But that whole concept of an undroppable item is loving stupid and I'm always pissed off when games put something like that in WHEN THE WHOLE GAME IS ABOUT GETTING AND TRYING OUT NEW AND INTERESTING ITEMS.

It's like, what's the design philosophy behind this? "Here's a reward item that just makes this run less fun. Roguelikes!" *violent jazz hands*

I'm not saying all items should be good, I just want to fail because of something that is my fault. NetHack knew this one. Its inventory system let you keep a hoard of things, all of which you could equip at any time, and each of which could gently caress you over if you didn't play the NetHack way. "You didn't identify the drat thing? Hell yes it might have been cursed! It was cursed! Fuckin' moron! Die by hallucination-induced Klingon!"

But Binding of Isaac is all about shovelling as many items into your face as you can, and then adjusting your playstyle based on whatever you just picked up. The Tick is just "Nope, you don't get to have any of this whole branch of items anymore, you just get this one."

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Somfin posted:

The Tick, which at least gives you additional health from time to time. The Crystal Skull can be gotten rid of, unless I'm really mistaken.

But that whole concept of an undroppable item is loving stupid and I'm always pissed off when games put something like that in WHEN THE WHOLE GAME IS ABOUT GETTING AND TRYING OUT NEW AND INTERESTING ITEMS.

It's like, what's the design philosophy behind this? "Here's a reward item that just makes this run less fun. Roguelikes!" *violent jazz hands*

I'm not saying all items should be good, I just want to fail because of something that is my fault. NetHack knew this one. Its inventory system let you keep a hoard of things, all of which you could equip at any time, and each of which could gently caress you over if you didn't play the NetHack way. "You didn't identify the drat thing? Hell yes it might have been cursed! It was cursed! Fuckin' moron! Die by hallucination-induced Klingon!"

But Binding of Isaac is all about shovelling as many items into your face as you can, and then adjusting your playstyle based on whatever you just picked up. The Tick is just "Nope, you don't get to have any of this whole branch of items anymore, you just get this one."

Except for picking up the trinket bag which lets you carry two trinkets, rendering it as a permanent heal in boss rooms + boss health reduction + still capable of letting you use other items.

Or you could just, you know, not pick up the tick. It's a penalty for making the game strictly easier if you find the bosses to be too tanky with your current items. Locking yourself out of the mostly-useless trinkets (with the exception of the flat penny or counterfeit penny) is a moot point if you're rocking Soy Milk for some reason and just want bosses to die faster.

Isaac is definitely not about "always pick up every item", it's actually extremely stupid to do that. Leave some items alone unless they synergize with your current run. Like, don't pick up My Reflection when you have Ipecac, or don't pick up Soy Milk when you have Proptosis, or just don't pick up the Tick

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I really really wish they would just cut out the modern day aspects of the Assassin's Creed series. Desmond's entire story-line is devastatingly boring and I just want to stay with the past lives. Black Flag was at least semi-interesting, but even then you know EXACTLY what the plot's going to be about 5 minutes in.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I really really wish they would just cut out the modern day aspects of the Assassin's Creed series. Desmond's entire story-line is devastatingly boring and I just want to stay with the past lives. Black Flag was at least semi-interesting, but even then you know EXACTLY what the plot's going to be about 5 minutes in.

I'm on the other side of the fence, I don't give a poo poo about anyone in the Animus. Got sick of Ezio after the first game, then they decided to add him in two more. I want more apocalyptic poo poo, future stuff, and all that overarching plot. Hell, the part in AC2 where Desmond gets spoken to directly via Animus was my favourite part of the game.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

death .cab for qt posted:

Except for picking up the trinket bag which lets you carry two trinkets, rendering it as a permanent heal in boss rooms + boss health reduction + still capable of letting you use other items.

Or you could just, you know, not pick up the tick. It's a penalty for making the game strictly easier if you find the bosses to be too tanky with your current items. Locking yourself out of the mostly-useless trinkets (with the exception of the flat penny or counterfeit penny) is a moot point if you're rocking Soy Milk for some reason and just want bosses to die faster.

Isaac is definitely not about "always pick up every item", it's actually extremely stupid to do that. Leave some items alone unless they synergize with your current run. Like, don't pick up My Reflection when you have Ipecac, or don't pick up Soy Milk when you have Proptosis, or just don't pick up the Tick

Seriously. Like, I know I hate the Dead Cat; It just doesnt suit my playstyle 9 runs out of 10 (I'm not good enough at the game to reliably clown bosses without taking damage, so reducing me to 1 heart but giving me 9 lives fucks me, because when you die you have to re-enter the boss room and hes back to full health so you effectively have to kill them without taking a hit unless you picked up a heart enhancement AFTER the dead cat) so here is the system I have; I just dont pick up the dead cat when it appears.

There are other items I dont like, the crystal skull, the broken remote, several of the tarot cards and so on, I just avoid them when I see them, or drop them if I pick them up.

Plus in my experience the Tick is better than 75% of the other trinkets in the game, if having the tick means you cant pick up Cancer that sucks, but if it just means you cant pick up hookworm or some poo poo, who cares?

Now, if you want to complain about BoI not having some kind of pause menu card index of poo poo you have seen in the game before so i wouldnt have to use the internet to find out what the gently caress the thing I just bought/picked up does, I'd totally agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I picked The Sims 3 back up on my new computer on a whim and I feel like it's gotten a million times more obnoxious about DLC in the two or three years since I played it last. It's possible that it's stayed the same and my tolerance for it has just gone down but it's super in-your-face annoying.