Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sauer posted:

I sincerely have no idea what happened with BoS. Its the exact same game engine worked on by the same developers.

A god drat tragedy happened :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I have a bunch of ROF pictures to share as soon as I can convert them out of bmp format because imgur goes funny with the colors when trying to upload them for some reason.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Okay converted to jpegs and suddenly it all works so here we go. Please observe my superior piloting technique:

I had a good feeling up until that point. I'm the Sopwith, just for clarity.

The hit boxes could use some work.

Truly, poetry in motion.

Still adding it to my kill tally. :colbert:

Not shown; the tree that leapt out in front of me causing this inferno.

This is actually a non custom skin for the Nieuport 17. Truly the gooniest skin.

Now for something different. I installed Pat Wilson's mod and found myself in combat (flying the Albatros) against some Nieuports in highly turbulent conditions in winter. My machine guns were doing bugger all, largely because I couldn't put the drat things on target and even when I did, for some reason that Nieuport is surprisingly sturdy. I was nose to tail with this one until a change of direction and gust of wind forced me to take evasive action, leading to this:

Some slight body contact I think.

Some slightly more serious body contact.

poo poo gently caress OH poo poo poo poo gently caress OH LAWD SHITFUCK FUUUUUCK!!!

Not shown; me pinwheeling out of control like a lunatic.

Somehow not dead.

Textbook landing. :frogc00l:

Seriously, I couldn't see the tail damage from the cockpit and I didn't see the other plane go down. I thought he got shot down by an ally that was working on him at the same time. The turbulence was bad so I didn't notice the reduced rudder control and it wasn't until I watched the replay how close that was.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

darth cookie posted:

poo poo gently caress OH poo poo poo poo gently caress OH LAWD SHITFUCK FUUUUUCK!!!

Does this count as a maneuver kill?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Grumio posted:

It didn't show up on the tally in RoF officially, but I reported it as a victory in the Pat Wilson mod. :colbert:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Grumio posted:

First air-to-air kill ever was by ramming, so maneuver nothing that's a kill.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Worked for Pyotr Nesterov

edit:

Forums Terrorist posted:

First air-to-air kill ever was by ramming, so maneuver nothing that's a kill.

Yep!

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

pixelbaron posted:

Content of 4.13

:siren:· Added differential brakes:siren:

This is awesome. I just fixed my pedals, too, so I'm extra hyped.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 9, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

darth cookie posted:

Now for something different. I installed Pat Wilson's mod and found myself in combat (flying the Albatros) against some Nieuports in highly turbulent conditions in winter. My machine guns were doing bugger all, largely because I couldn't put the drat things on target and even when I did, for some reason that Nieuport is surprisingly sturdy. I was nose to tail with this one until a change of direction and gust of wind forced me to take evasive action, leading to this:

Seriously, I couldn't see the tail damage from the cockpit and I didn't see the other plane go down. I thought he got shot down by an ally that was working on him at the same time. The turbulence was bad so I didn't notice the reduced rudder control and it wasn't until I watched the replay how close that was.

That is another thing I like about PWCG, it isn't afraid to throw you into some nasty weather. Though I believe you can adjust just how nasty the weather its willing to throw you into is. Most stuff is adjustable in PWCG.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

darth cookie posted:

That's a really great example of the shortcomings of the sesquiplane design. Those lower wings are fragile as poo poo.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

darth cookie posted:

It didn't show up on the tally in RoF officially, but I reported it as a victory in the Pat Wilson mod. :colbert:

Always claim kills on any enemy plane that goes down. Better yet, claim every enemy you see just in case.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Wooper posted:

Always claim kills on any enemy plane that goes down. Better yet, claim every enemy you see just in case.

From what I understand, that's a historically accurate practice.

"Tallying up our pilots' reported kills compared against known RAF strength, we estimate the RAF has negative 150 fighters"

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The Fokker DR. I seems like the most unpleasant plane to fly. Unless you keep it at high speed all the time it will fly where it wants to fly and you have no real control over it. Of course WWI engine, aerodynamics and three wings means you're never going to be able to keep it fast enough to not fly like it has a mind of its own.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sauer posted:

The Fokker DR. I seems like the most unpleasant plane to fly. Unless you keep it at high speed all the time it will fly where it wants to fly and you have no real control over it. Of course WWI engine, aerodynamics and three wings means you're never going to be able to keep it fast enough to not fly like it has a mind of its own.

I felt similar with the Camel of all things any time I'd try and enter a turn. Each plane in RoF has a ton of character, and twice as many design flaws. Its fantastic.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I find it way easier to fly the Camel and the Sopwith Triplane than the Dr1.

For being a plane that is supposed to be hard to fly I don't have any problems with the Camel.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I don't either right up until the moment that it starts spinning. I think it's the only plane I really have trouble recovering in.

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!
I love the Dr.I, but I seem to be incapable of keeping the Camel out of a spin (or recovering from one).

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Rise of Flight is on sale again on Steam and the main store, albeit only at 40%. The Ilya muromets and Sikorsky S-16 are not on sale. :argh:

Also I found this handy utility to compare RoF aircraft data: http://newwingstraining.com/FD-Rof-Viewer/home.htm

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Grumio posted:

Rise of Flight is on sale again on Steam and the main store, albeit only at 40%. The Ilya muromets and Sikorsky S-16 are not on sale. :argh:

Also I found this handy utility to compare RoF aircraft data: http://newwingstraining.com/FD-Rof-Viewer/home.htm

Thinking of picking this up, what DLC is worth getting?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

:frogsiren: 50-60% of most aircraft for Rise of Flight available through the website until June 22nd :frogsiren:

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Gibfender posted:

Thinking of picking this up, what DLC is worth getting?

If you want to try it out, the main game ('Rise of Flight United edition') is free and comes with 3 planes. It lets you fly these, plus act as gunner for any aircraft in multiplayer.

The other DLCs all have some gems in them, depending on what you like. Channel battles gives you a good selection of aircraft, plus the channel/belgium map. I'd probably go for that first.

Other good DLC packs are Furious Wings and Battle of Saint-Mihel, which round out your hangar pretty nicely. If you want to go for hilarious, rickety, early-war stuff, Birth of Warbirds is your go-to. Legendary Bombers if you want some larger multi-crew aircraft.

Note: RoF has separate 'upgrades' for aircraft in the form of pistol sidearms, extra guns, better gunsights etc. The DLC packs come bundled with them, except for Channel Battles, where you'll still need to buy the Ace Pack if you want the upgrades for the aircraft in Channel Battles. Yes, I know, it's dumb.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So I'm the worst, and bought this ages ago on Green Man Gaming using my normal Email.

Then I bought the awesome cheap bundle on Steam, but apparently used a different email and my more conventional account name since I couldnt have both on one account.

Now, I forgot what the email I used was for my Steam account game (it wasnt my normal Steam email, and of course the one from the Green Man Gaming copy doesnt work since it goes to the Iron Cross edition I had before), so I'm kinda hosed :( Reinstalled the game and everything but cant play outside of the demo. Made a thread over there on the 777 forums and sent in a ticket hoping they'd be willing to tell me what the e-mail address is of my other account that I had to make due to the Steam/non-Steam split.

poo poo sucks. All I want to do is die for France. Bonjour.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 12, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

darth cookie posted:

:frogsiren: 50-60% of most aircraft for Rise of Flight available through the website until June 22nd :frogsiren:

This means at some point I bet the Rise of Flight stuff will go on daily/flash sale on steam. They've always matched the sale prices in the past.

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!
Are any of these recommended purchases before the Rise of Flight sale ends? My account is on the original store, so I don't need to worry about bundling.

Airco D.H.4
Brandenburg W12
Breguet 14.B2
Halberstadt CL.II
Halberstadt D.II
R.E.8
Roland CIIa

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Yeah the Roland is a fun two seater, get that

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Halberstadt CL.II also, especially if you get the mods for both so you have a 20mm cannon for close support work :getin:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

gently caress the random crashes during the campaign in RoF are annoying still. Totally forgot that poo poo existed.

Dont think PWCG had that problem, oddly enough.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'll second those suggestions. The Halberstadt CL.II is a fun little ground attack two seater (And was one of the first aircraft designed with the role in mind) and the Roland is also a fun two seater.

The best part about the Roland is that when it debuts its actually faster than all the scouts it faces, so it can run away with impunity or turn the hunters into the hunted. Plus it looks neat, and can take what felt to me like a ton of abuse.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Yeah the Roland is tough as nails. One of the main reasons for it being so much faster than the scouts it fought was it's good looks, it's got much less drag. It's only issue is that if you screw up your landing and flip over, you're dead.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I uh, took advantage of the sale to complete the RoF catalogue. I've got it all now. :negative:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

darth cookie posted:

I uh, took advantage of the sale to complete the RoF catalogue. I've got it all now. :negative:

Did that last sale. :sympathy: I should really get around to giving the Hanriot more than a few test flights, get my Willy Coppens on.

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!

Forums Terrorist posted:

Halberstadt CL.II also, especially if you get the mods for both so you have a 20mm cannon for close support work :getin:

That Becker sure is a thing.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I decided to finally try out Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator. Is there a guide on how to use this anywhere because I am having trouble finding one.

Anyway. I got it set up, created a campaign and generated a mission. I then went into ROF, and flew the mission, which only had me and the flight lead in it, no enemy or allied planes, not sure if that is a thing that can happen or if I hosed up.

Anyway, what do I do when I finish a mission? I ended it and alt tabbed to the generator which was still on the map screen. I didn't see any options for mission complete so I clicked "campaign menu" and the generator acted up so I had to restart the program. My pilot had 0 missions when I went back, and when I tried to generate a new one, it didn't appear in ROF, just the previous intercept mission. (Unless I am dumb and it just overwrote it)

Thanks for any help in advance.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Generally you finish the mission by landing (your flight mates will just circle the aerodrome cause the AI is questionable at landing planes and PW was annoyed at losing flight mates that way) and hitting finish mission. Did you turn on the log output thing? You have to edit an .ini file or something like that to get RoF to spit out a log that PWCG interprets after your mission.

Here is a "How to use PCWG" thread on the official RoF Forums.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Thanks man, I got it working. I have also learned that the regular career mode has gotten me to be way too lax around the AI and Flak. I thought my first mission was going to be a simple balloon popping mission, but my flight of 3 got bounced by a flight of eindeckers, and some other German biplane. Stupidly, I figured they wouldn't be too much of an issue so I split from my flight in order to hit a different balloon. I managed to get 3 attacks in on the balloon (Man the DH2 sucks at killing those things) before I noticed that I had picked up a single Fokker on my tail. I still didnt' take him seriously though, until I took some hits. Then when I was fleeing, I heard what sounded like I was getting shot by a pistol at short range or something. It turns out that I was getting slammed by flak, causing my wing to tear free and me to not even survive the first mission.

The only strange thing is that the campaign generator has me listed as seriously injured, and not killed. Is that normal? I was quite dead.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

By default PWCG will not kill you, only wound you for a few weeks. You can switch it to a "dead is dead" mode somewhere in the options. Poke around that stuff, PWCG is very configurable.

Also, flak is a real issue in PWCG cause he tweaks them to fire at x10 "normal" speed in order to simulate more realistic concentration of flak. Its a noble goal, IMO, but I'm annoyed that it mostly results in straight lines of flak being drawn around you instead of a scattering effect. This can be turned off if you wish.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yeah, I turned on the MGs and stuff too. I really like how configurable it is.

I am torn about the 10X flak thing, because on one hand I can see where it could be an issue like you said, but on the other, default flak is so much of a non threat it becomes kind of lame. At some point I will have to take my Gotha bomber out in this new campaign. Thankfully it looks like I will actually get to fly some of my planes that I bought, rather than sitting at base the entire war like with the regular career. (The Gotha is pretty bad for that, as well as some French two seater that I bought and really wanted to fly, but I ended up going through the entire rest of the war waiting for my turn to fly in the career. I wish 777 would fix that.)

I am also thinking of picking up IL2 1946 tomorrow and giving that a try. I have never played the original, which is a shame because it looks like I have been missing out. I, of course, got CLoD, and BOS and was disapointed with both, especially BOS because of how much ROF I played. In any case, it will be nice to play some pacific theater again.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

In my experience the worst thing about the 10x flak is that your AI wingmen make no accommodation for it at all, so depending on your flight plan you might end up watching the rest of your flight plow obliviously right into dense clouds of death.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

10x flak isn't worth it, because it takes it too far. If there's flak around, you can't go there or you will absolutely 100% die every single time. It makes the flak way too accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Another quick question. Is it worth it to have moving front enabled?