Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CottonWolf posted:

I don't get it. They've taken one fictional female character we knew nothing about and her with another fictional female character we know nothing about.

People hate change and always assume its for the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
addendum: i like FF1 for the GBA

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is seriously no significant difference between the characters. They have the same last name even and they just replaced Stella with Luna which is like one goddamn Latin Name over. They even look extremely similar. It is seriously the same character with a minor design change.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Minor changes in video games are a big loving deal.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

I don't get it. They've taken one fictional female character we knew nothing about and her with another fictional female character we know nothing about.

From what I've read, the idea is that the things we've seen Stella doing was her being active and an antagonist (that's apparently where the "Versus" part came in), a Romeo and Juliet where the two fight, whereas we've only seen Luna sitting in a chair, which apparently makes her demure and weak.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

From what I've read, the idea is that the things we've seen Stella doing was her being active and an antagonist (that's apparently where the "Versus" part came in), a Romeo and Juliet where the two fight, whereas we've only seen Luna sitting in a chair.

I think that's a thing worth complaining about but also probably not a result of this change. They were pretty all-in on "she's the girlfriend character" from the moment XV was announced as a boy's road trip with no playable lady characters. The best you can hope for is that she's not Kyrie from DMC4 or whatever and is a fun active character despite not being fighty.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Lurk more.

It's a Fabula Nova Bullshit game like all the others.

Yeah but they've repeatedly said in interviews and releases that the Etro/fal'cie poo poo is just how the crystals and summons were in old FF games. They share the same names but are used completely differently and are basically completely different from game to game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The funny thing is, years before XV was announced, Nomura was interviewed and said the game was about brotherhood and the feel of a road trip with your bros.

quote:

Will this be a story of male camaraderie, similar to Crisis Core?

Nomura: No, for instance, someone [important] dies, and you must take revenge, well it won’t be a soppy story like that. It will adopt a more general “road movie” sense. As to why I chose a story about men, well, for example, among school friends, when they go traveling, it’s normal to see any combination of fellows in groups of all one gender. That’s all. We can look back on when we were students, and remember enjoying horsing around with our peers with no particular aim in mind.

And a member of a royal family just happens to be one of their number?

Nomura: That’s right. They have not banded together for any purpose or destiny. This lot, who are always horsing around find themselves at the heart of the story by chance. I wonder if one was a student, would one feel the story even more familiar? Of course, if one was an adult, they might feel nostalgic and enjoy remembering how they horsed around like that, I think. Talking about girls, for instance. In thinking about how to make it more familiar, it turned out this way. Next time we give information, we will reveal his name. It doesn’t have much to do with anything else, though.

Noctis didn't even have a name yet.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
He also wanted it to be a musical at some point.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

I think that's a thing worth complaining about but also probably not a result of this change. They were pretty all-in on "she's the girlfriend character" from the moment XV was announced as a boy's road trip with no playable lady characters. The best you can hope for is that she's not Kyrie from DMC4 or whatever and is a fun active character despite not being fighty.

It's not even worth complaining about. The fact is we knew little to nothing about Stella/Luna before and we know just as little now. What very little information we have to go on isn't anywhere near enough to make educated guesses about her personality or her role in the story in general. There is no argument to base a complaint on without knowing more other than suggesting that one's made up theory about what she "was going to be like" is now going to be a different made up theory. And why has this tragedy occurred? TABATA :argh: because of course it is. Who else are they going to blame?

This is peak spergy nerd fandom nonsense.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 8, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

It's not even worth complaining about. The fact is we knew little to nothing about Stella/Luna before and we know just as little now. What very little information we have to go on isn't anywhere near enough to make educated guesses about her personality or her role in the story in general. There is no argument to base a complaint on without knowing more other than suggesting that one's made up theory about what she "was going to be like" is now going to be a different made up theory. And why has this tragedy occurred? TABATA :argh: because of course it is. Who else are they going to blame?

This is peak spergy nerd fandom nonsense.

This is why I said that FFXV doesn't benefit from being a remastered Versus. Literally all it does is invite comparisons and if it does poorly in whatever way you know people are going to say that Versus would have done it better despite Versus not actually ever existing.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

This is why I said that FFXV doesn't benefit from being a remastered Versus. Literally all it does is invite comparisons and if it does poorly in whatever way you know people are going to say that Versus would have done it better despite Versus not actually ever existing.

You are right in one sense, but let's face it. Even if SE didn't publicly rebrand the game everyone who was actually following it at this point would have known what was going on anyways and the same blame games would have circulated the internet. This was impossible to prevent. Mitigate a little? Yeah maybe but not enough to make a difference.

It doesn't matter anyways. The game is not going to be perfect just like all games are not perfect and like all games..this one is going to have to stand on its own two feet. If it fun then great. If not then oh well. People can make up any story they want to try and explain why.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also 90% of the people who will buy FFXV will have never heard of Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Gologle posted:

I'm pretty sure the Warrior of Light is supposed to be the Knight, the upgraded version of Fighter that you get from Bahamut. That being said, nobody played FF1 so nobody knows what I'm talking about.

FF1 was the first one I played (GBA because gently caress the charge system).

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

forbidden lesbian posted:

addendum: i like FF1 for the GBA

Agreed. FF1 GBA I like. The other versions are pretty much unplayable though because nobody knew how to make an RPG properly until FF4.

I never got why Dragon Quest is so big. You need to open up a menu and click a specific option just to open up doors and chests. NES RPGs are really kind of a pain in the rear end.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Also 90% of the people who will buy FFXV will have never heard of Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

Yeah and that is pretty much my point. In fact, I had that reaffirmed just a little bit yesterday when I met a guy who has been playing FF since the NES and he asked me "if another FF is coming out" at which point I said "yes, FF XV is being worked on and it is looking pretty sweet". The only thing he cared about after I said that is if XV was going to be an MMO or not because he is not interested in MMOs. This is just one person, but I think the point is that a lot of us need to remember that tons of money is spent in this industry by people who do not even know about a game until they start seeing posters at their local Gamestop.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
People who weren't born when Versus13 was announced will be playing FF15

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
people are actually mad about stella getting removed, when we knew pretty much nothing about her and was replaced with someone else?

who gives a poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
As far as I'm concerned, a character who only exists in promo materials doesn't count as a character. Stella (and for that matter, every other FFXV character before Nomura got the boot) was a flashier version of those Deviantart OC's who exist in some contextless void where the only activity is making badass poses. There's no point in mourning a proof of concept.

I mean, Luna's probably not going to blow anyone's minds, but she does have the advantage of being in a game that might actually come out.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
August 6, 2015

Hello, this is Hajime Tabata. Unfortunately, the Final Fantasy XV as made by Square-Enix has been cancelled. Fortunately, we have turned to renowned Japanese studio Platinum Games to remake the whole thing. Now here's twenty minutes of us dragging each and every single person who worked on this game in front of the camera to express their failure and deep shame. Please look forward to Final Fantasy XV+.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A Platinum FF spin off would be ownage.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

CottonWolf posted:

B-B-B-B-B-But one was a potential action girl and rival and the other is not! :qq:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ImpAtom posted:

There is seriously no significant difference between the characters. They have the same last name even and they just replaced Stella with Luna which is like one goddamn Latin Name over. They even look extremely similar. It is seriously the same character with a minor design change.

clearly a reference the Janell Cannon children's book

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nice graph, but I just want to play it. Could I download it on a U.S. iPhone if I make a Japanese iTunes account or something?

Yes. It's how I play* DQMSL on my 4S since the odds of SE ever releasing it in the US is close to zero.

* it doesn't like my 4S and when I entered one of the metal slime xp dungeons it crashed and keeps crashing when I launch the app because it keeps trying to go back in to the dungeon and has been stuck like this for a few days now. :sigh:

Mega64 posted:

Minor changes in video games are a big loving deal.

Yeah, imagine the nerd rage if Cidney's outfit was changed to a normal mechanic's jumpsuit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The biggest issue with XIII-2 is still the AI. Fighting a boss with a huge damaging AOE attack, everyone likes to just gather around the SEN and there's nothing you can do to make them stop this beyond pray to the AI.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ImpAtom posted:

I'm wondering why they even bothered telling us when they could've kept her name as Stella and completely changed her character anyway. There's plenty of weird stuff in early development for games like this, and I think it would've ultimately been forgotten that she was meant as some kind of "antagonist".

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So with the Episode Duscae 2.0 patch coming out today, Square Enix are also releasing a patch for Type-O HD addressing the camera and blur.

https://twitter.com/FF25TH_JP/status/608229969068572672

That's the source from the Japanese Final Fantasy Twitter account.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cool. I'll probably go back to Type-0 if it's just a toggle.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Cool. I'll probably go back to Type-0 if it's just a toggle.

I'll probably start the game finally when it's not making me throw up :smith:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Skeezy posted:

So with the Episode Duscae 2.0 patch coming out today, Square Enix are also releasing a patch for Type-O HD addressing the camera and blur.

https://twitter.com/FF25TH_JP/status/608229969068572672

That's the source from the Japanese Final Fantasy Twitter account.

Incredible, it only took them 3 months to patch in a new camera setting that makes the game playable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Incredible, it only took them 3 months to patch in a new camera setting that makes the game playable.

Come on, the old camera was a great experience. Like being on a Tilt-a-Whirl in a wind tunnel.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Wow, I'd assumed Square Enix wouldn't ever bother patching Type-0. Hopefully this means they'll patch FFX/X-2 as well.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
What do they need to patch from x / x-2?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

I'm wondering why they even bothered telling us when they could've kept her name as Stella and completely changed her character anyway. There's plenty of weird stuff in early development for games like this, and I think it would've ultimately been forgotten that she was meant as some kind of "antagonist".

Character names tend to get swapped around a lot in game development. Usually there is some reason ("this name is more marketable" is a common one. Sometimes something comes out in the meantime that uses a similar name and they don't want overlap. Sometimes they just decide that the name doesn't carry the proper resonance.) It's just weird because this has been in production for a billion years.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kalenn Istarion posted:

What do they need to patch from x / x-2?

RNG is screwed and the background music restarts after every battle instead of carrying on from where it left off. That's the PS4 version only though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

this but actually i'm sincerely surprised they took shorter then a year to do it

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ImpAtom posted:

It's just weird because this has been in production for a billion years.

"In production" with a billion more quotation marks, more like.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Trying out Duscae 2.0, and while doing a sidequest with Gladiolus, he took a selfie of him and Noctis fighting Garulas. There also seems to be added side dialogue between the party while traveling as well.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Type-0 patch is out btw. Haven't downloaded it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

PunkBoy posted:

while doing a sidequest with Gladiolus, he took a selfie of him and Noctis fighting Garulas.

This is hilarious.