Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
If you are getting a 550 from their system, it's their problem to fix because your messages are hitting their server and failing because it can't find a mailbox associated with the TO address. However, have you verified they are actually sending to correct aliases? If someone fat fingered an address this would be the result.

Don't get too down on yourself. Email is a very complicated system and relies on others to know what they are doing too. I have had to tell some of our users I can't 'fix it' because I don't control other people's email servers, even though this usually ends in yelling and boss escalation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've got a question about career paths in management. My boss is a helpdesk supervisor and he feels kind of stuck.

What are some paths that might open up some new doors?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got a question about career paths in management. My boss is a helpdesk supervisor and he feels kind of stuck.

What are some paths that might open up some new doors?

I'm newly-placed in the same position and I really don't want to stay in it long because I can see myself getting stuck, too. But my plan is to bail on the management path (at least for a while) and get back into technical work.

Will be interested to see what advice people give you though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

For the Networking folks, what's the general use case for Site-to-Site VPNs?

What can and can't I run on a VPN. When would you start to look into a MPLS?

I'm reading that it's difficult to have consistently low latency over the VPN and I'm correct in the impression anything SQL or VoIP heavy won't run well.

As mentioned, most clients that have them want to cheaply integrate small branch offices with low bandwidth requirements into their core infrastructure without paying for a dedicated line or MPLS circuit.

I've also worked some projects where they're a cheap last resort to maintain connectivity in the event that a dedicated line goes down.

For as much as I dislike ASAs, they still work as some of the better site to site VPN appliances out there.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We run active active datacenters with SQL replication over site to site VPNs but I'm also not a networking guy so I don't know that this makes my network guy stupid.

Replication is inherently asynchronous, so it's tolerant of a bit of latency as long as the pipe is wide enough to carry the load. Theoretically, you have an agreement with the business that you're willing to toss five minutes of data (or some other non-zero number) if you fail over between sites. Whether or not anyone actually realizes, understands, appreciates or has tested/experienced that is a completely separate matter that often involves a lot of yelling and hand-wringing at 2am on a holiday.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

keseph posted:

Replication is inherently asynchronous
For 2012 or later, Always-On Replication will run in either synchronous or asynchronous modes.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Does anyone have a good change request template for infrastructure?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm newly-placed in the same position and I really don't want to stay in it long because I can see myself getting stuck, too. But my plan is to bail on the management path (at least for a while) and get back into technical work.

Will be interested to see what advice people give you though.

I think it really depends on the size of your company. I was a Helpdesk manager for about 5 years but I was also the lead engineer at the same time. I managed or implemented every project while keeping an eye on the Helpdesk side of things. I never felt that I was at a dead-end career wise.

Additionally, I have worked at a larger company where all the Helpdesk manager did was manage his guys, who were strictly tickets. The problem I see with that type of setup is that the project side of the house constantly tosses grenades over the cubicles to the Helpdesk guys. If you can be more involved with the project team, protect your guys, and make useful contributions to project, I don't see it as a dead end in your career.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

incoherent posted:

Does anyone have a good change request template for infrastructure?

Uh, this kind of thing is going to be extremely environment/company specific.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

BMC Remedy :lol:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, this kind of thing is going to be extremely environment/company specific.
Not really. Since he's asking, he's probably looking to implement a very first change control process in his org. Ours is pretty simple, and simple is better because people are more likely to follow a simple process.

Name:
Date of change:
Short description of change:
Detailed description of change:
Suspected negative impact of change:
Alternatives to change:
Backout process for change:

Pretty easy.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks. Yeah, its the first one and i'm sure i'll expand on it but we're a fairly flat org, so no unique situations. Everything i've google'd up is tailored to those orgs. Just getting the basics down will help move forward.

I know I'll need for for my developers (in house, consulting and offshore) but they're not in my or ops managers purview, so they can hog wild on their own flows.In house and offshore have two agile processes.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 8, 2015

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

adorai posted:

Not really. Since he's asking, he's probably looking to implement a very first change control process in his org. Ours is pretty simple, and simple is better because people are more likely to follow a simple process.

Name:
Date of change:
Alternatives to change:

Pretty easy.

Not sure if this is what you meant by the 5th point, but impact during the change is good, too. i.e. increased latency, or temporary outage of such and such service.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

rafikki posted:

Not sure if this is what you meant by the 5th point, but impact during the change is good, too. i.e. increased latency, or temporary outage of such and such service.

Also, "none" is basically never an acceptable answer to "suspected negative impact". If there's a one in a million chance of poo poo going south due to your change, the best possible way to ensure that poo poo goes south is to NOT notify about it. Murphy's Law is a thing for a reason.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I've setup several smallish call centers (20-50 users) with Asterisk and Switchvox. Asterisk does a lot, and it's sort of an enticing little project, so you can get all sorts of crazy features, but really you need to make it as simple as possible, and have all your features/goals clearly written out. These things can get out of control. Do you have any specific questions I can answer?

Sorry for the delay in replying. Actually, we're an outbound call center, and we don't need much call routing logic at all.

What I'm looking at now which seems like the most promising path to take are the various WebRTC vendors like Twilio, Plivo, Nexmo, Tropo (why the gently caress are these companies all named like this?)

Plivo in particular seems to have just about the lowest rates for USA long distance SIP calls, and apparently their big feature is that they can hook directly to your SIP endpoints without requiring a PBX at all, so it sounds like I just point the service at my Polycoms and away I go. I see that Twilio is the most established, but they don't offer the SIP endpointing, and Plivo does a bunch of other things like free call recording storage and custom caller ID.

At least a bunch of these sites have API language that is nearly 100% compatible with the next place, and there's no contracts, so I can port them around between vendors with relative ease. My web development guys took a look at the API stuff and think it will be no sweat, they can build custom Click-to-Call apps into our Salesforce page.

I'll keep people posted on how our testing goes, if this works I stand to save us over half a million a year that we were paying for PRIs, minutes, and Salesforce SaaS that was billed to us per-user-per-month. My web guys say a week or two and they can replace everything feature for feature with these APIs.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

adorai posted:

Name:
Date of change:
Alternatives to change:

Pretty easy.

Add in a Test Plan to verify the change was successful as well.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

adorai posted:

Name:
Date of change:
Alternatives to change:

Pretty easy.

I would also add rollout schedule, though that's a subset of the detailed description. Whenever possible, apply your changes in phases - test environment first, then increasing proportions of your production machines. So if you're doing a GPO update for example, once you're done testing and have it staged in prod, filter it to a group that references the name or number of the change and let your help desk know what's coming. Then add (just pulling numbers out of the air here) 1% of your environment to that group the first day, then 4.5% more each of the next couple of days. Let that 10% sit for a few days while confirming that it isn't generating tickets or other complaints. At that point, you can do 30% more each of the next 3 days to finish out the change.

Standardize the rollout schedule and process for your organization, and try to stick to it with your changes. It's a lot better than making a change to everything at once, finding out you've blown up your entire production environment, then scrambling to back out. If you missed something in testing and screw up 1% of your computers in that first production phase, it'll be much less of a big deal to back out.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Vulture Culture posted:

For 2012 or later, Always-On Replication will run in either synchronous or asynchronous modes.

You interpret his description very differently from how I did. You're right that it offers both modes, but AlwaysOn Availability Groups are not Replication and are not Active-Active, at least in the classic sense of "both sides accept writes". Only Peer-to-Peer Replication and Transactional Replication with Updatable Subscriptions (gods that a lot of jargon) fit the vague description given and both would also be fine answers for the topology.
Let's just agree it's not worth a semantic argument derail over an incomplete description.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'm in the last week at my old job. Actual productive work today was maybe five minutes. The remainder of the time has been spent studying for certs for the new job.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

I'm in the last week at my old job. Actual productive work today was maybe five minutes. The remainder of the time has been spent studying for certs for the new job.

Booyigger....

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Crossposting this from Microsoft Enterprise thread cause this one gets more traction..

Has anyone ever moved a DPM to a different server? I'm having trouble believing it's as easy as this https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us...y/hh757865.aspx and I don't want to stumble into unexpected stuff.

What it says:
1- Backup DPMDB
2- Remove Server1 from domain, turn off
3- Install DPM with same updates on Server2, point to a SQL instance
4- Present same volumes through iSCSI
5- Execute DpmSync -restoredb -dbloc file
6- Execute DpmSync -sync
7- Check integrity, restart jobs

Is it really that easy?

E: It also has a tape library, but that should be simple as well.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

"Welp, all of our wireless engineers are gone until July and we have to get this site survey done. Hey, psydude, you've wirelessed before several years ago, come do this for us!"

Time to go into full consultant mode: research just enough come across as if I know what I'm doing in the kickoff meeting and then figure out how to do it later.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

psydude posted:

"Welp, all of our wireless engineers are gone until July and we have to get this site survey done. Hey, psydude, you've wirelessed before several years ago, come do this for us!"

Time to go into full consultant mode: research just enough come across as if I know what I'm doing in the kickoff meeting and then figure out how to do it later.

That's the most fun part about consulting.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NippleFloss posted:

That's the most fun part about consulting.

It really is.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So what's everyone's current go-to laptop for people whose primary concern is portability & weight? Without spending more than ~$1500.

We're primarily a Dell shop but I can get people whatever, as long as it has a TPM. The i5 non-touchscreen XPS 13 looks pretty nice? Also have a few Surface Pro 3s floating around.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Everyone at my job loves our HP Elitebook 9480m's. For us, an i7 with 8 gigs of memory is about $1650, but it's cheaper with an i5.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is there any real reason to get an i7 in a work environment if you're not doing virtualization or some other CPU intensive task?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
No, and there's not a significant reason to get one for virtualization, either...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

So what's everyone's current go-to laptop for people whose primary concern is portability & weight? Without spending more than ~$1500.

We're primarily a Dell shop but I can get people whatever, as long as it has a TPM. The i5 non-touchscreen XPS 13 looks pretty nice? Also have a few Surface Pro 3s floating around.

If you can get a Latitude 7000 series for the required price that's what I'd go with. I started buying them a while ago instead of the bigger 6000 series and never looked back. My current work machine is a... 7250?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've had a new Lenovo T440, a Latitude 7240, and an EliteBook all in the last year or so and I think out of all of them I prefer the Elitebook. If Lenovo gets around to replacing that stupid trackpad then I would go back to the T440.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've had a new Lenovo T440, a Latitude 7240, and an EliteBook all in the last year or so and I think out of all of them I prefer the Elitebook. If Lenovo gets around to replacing that stupid trackpad then I would go back to the T440.

They did. T450/T450S is out and has the old style trackpad. I agree, though, the Elitebooks are the best. We only buy the Lenovos because we can laser etch our logo on them.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

KS posted:

We only buy the Lenovos because we can laser etch our logo on them.

Whoa, what?

I don't mind HP Elitebook but HP's Website and internal tools are just terrible.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 9, 2015

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
may 1st:

bosses: hey there's a bunch of stuff in sharepoint we need you to do

me: ok i can't do any of that without admin access

bosses: okay we'll get you access and we need all this done by june 16th

fast forward to today, june 9th. been asking every day for admin access. still no admin access. i don't know what they are expecting.

*collects paycheck*

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Tab8715 posted:

Whoa, what?

Any of the distributors can do it for $20. It adds a day to shipping.

http://blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/lenovo-services-shows-off-laser-etching-at-ces

KS fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 9, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Dick Trauma posted:

If you can get a Latitude 7000 series for the required price that's what I'd go with. I started buying them a while ago instead of the bigger 6000 series and never looked back. My current work machine is a... 7250?

Confirming that we've switched to the 7000 series for people that want a little more form with their functions. They are really good machines.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

KS posted:

Any of the distributors can do it for $20. It adds a day to shipping.

http://blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/lenovo-services-shows-off-laser-etching-at-ces

I'm ready for my next laptop order.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

KS posted:

They did. T450/T450S is out and has the old style trackpad. I agree, though, the Elitebooks are the best. We only buy the Lenovos because we can laser etch our logo on them.

Do you know if the E450 got it too? That's closer to my price range :(

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm ready for my next laptop order.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Roargasm posted:

Do you know if the E450 got it too? That's closer to my price range :(

Sure looks like it -- they're sold out and the current model is E455.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
GMAIL IS DOWN :supaburn:

https://downdetector.com/status/gmail