Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I don't know about you guys, but I am super excited to buy games that have been available on practically every platform for almost a decade now. Who needs new games when they can just sell us the things we liked as kids over and over again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I am super excited to buy games that have been available on practically every platform for almost a decade now. Who needs new games when they can just sell us the things we liked as kids over and over again?

Boy, it's a terrible thing that this is an either/or chocie. Clearly they can't make new games and port old games at the same time. Just plain impossible, especially when they're hiring a company whose stated goal and production method is based around porting old games.

(Spoiler: They are making a new Mega Man cartoon series, giving a concentrated push towards making old Mega Man games available and generally emphasizing Mega Man. They are probably working on a new game. It may even be announced at E3.)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I personally get furiously angry whenever a good movie gets re released on blu ray, I've already got my vhs you lazy jerks.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That said I hope they don't pull the time-tested dick move of judging whether or not people want a new game purely on this collection since I already own these games in triplicate now and am not particularly interested in buying new copies since I just got done buying them on Wii U.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Screaming Idiot posted:

Which part of this are you more upset by: That Megaman 1-6 will be available on a larger number of platforms, or that Capcom gave people money in order to make this happen? I mean, unless the porting job was completely botched, it really isn't worse than any of the already existing digitally available versions. There really isn't a limitation to how many platforms a game should be released on, only people who want it are going to buy it, anyway.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Phantasium posted:

That said I hope they don't pull the time-tested dick move of judging whether or not people want a new game purely on this collection since I already own these games in triplicate now and am not particularly interested in buying new copies since I just got done buying them on Wii U.

Yeah. They pulled that poo poo with Darkstalkers.

That said if you are pissed off that they are re-releasing the old Mega Man games you might be a crazy person.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just came to ask if buying this collection will make it more or less likely for Megaman Legends 3 to exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I just came to ask if buying this collection will make it more or less likely for Megaman Legends 3 to exist.

It will probably not have a significant impact either way. Legends was the poorest-selling Mega Man franchise and if they revive Mega Man they'll probably start with classic instead. If they decided to revive Legends 3 nothing is going to determine it either way because it'd be a calculated PR move, not a sales thing.

Also I really wonder how people would respond if MML3 got restarted and suddenly everyone remembered that you don't play as Mega Man in Mega Man Legends 3.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Pureauthor posted:

I just want to have a three-stage minimum Sigma fight in a Legends-esque engine.

Is that too much to ask?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ImpAtom posted:

Also I really wonder how people would respond if MML3 got restarted and suddenly everyone remembered that you don't play as Mega Man in Mega Man Legends 3.

OBVIOUSLY it'll just be like, an extended prologue and poo poo until they finally finish the stupid moon rocket.

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
My interest in this collection hinges on what they bring to Challenge Mode. I'd say having NES Remix: Megaman Edition on the horizon has my eyes bugging out. It sounds like a good idea.

Prove that you can still make these 8-bit masterpieces hold up today. That they can go toe-to-toe with the imitators of the modern era.

But really, I can't play Mega Man III enough. It's one of my favorite NES games of all time, and really, preserving the classics properly is more important than ever when it comes to videogames at large.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Pureauthor posted:

If you don't buy it, there will be no Mega Man Legends 3.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ImpAtom posted:

They recently put a bunch of the Mega Man NES games on the Nintendo store and they're doing that none the less!

I kinda suspect there has to be some extra hook for the 3DS version, seeing as it's coming later and they keep mentioning it as distinct from the other SKUs in all the press they've done so far. Maybe they'll throw in some extras and stick it on a cart, I dunno.

What worries me the most is that they're being non-committal about stereo 3D right now - if they're not adding stereo 3D, why fuckin' bother?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If they were to make a Megaman Legends 3, there's a 103.97% chance that they'd scrap whatever little they put together for that DS thing four years ago. Also, they'd need to hire a new writer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They aren't going to make Legends 3 because it's niche as gently caress and will mean absolutely nothing to the market they're trying to court, ie kids and people who aren't already invested in MM and/or don't care to wade through the zillion sub-series that already exist.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MML3 always came across as Inafune's pet project to me, so without him I can't see it ever happening.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, it wasn't happening without him and he knew it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They aren't going to make Legends 3 because it's niche as gently caress and will mean absolutely nothing to the market they're trying to court, ie kids and people who aren't already invested in MM and/or don't care to wade through the zillion sub-series that already exist.

The most logical ones to go for would be Classic or .exe

.exe in particular is a lot more relevant in the modern age of smartphones and if they were smart they could put out apps and mobile games that play off that. It's instantly accessible, easily converted into, say, F2P collectathon microtransaction-fests, and probably easier for kids to understand now that it was on the GBA.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I would be absolutely astonished if they ever made another Legends game. Quite frankly, they shouldn’t. MM as a series works well under a layer of abstraction – I don’t need, or care, to know what the motivation of little blue robot man is for shooting other themed robot men. X1 had the maximum amount of storyline that I’d ever want out of a MM game. Drop the story, drop the voice acting (please, god, no voice acting), let the game be a tight 2d platformer with a paragraph at the beginning that says “Go, Mega Man! Shoot stuff and jump around!” and one at the end that says “You shot all the robots! Awesome!”

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Honestly, what I want to see is a new 3D Mega Man shooter that takes a lot of influence from Vanquish and Kid Icarus Uprising. Both of those games struck me as feeling very "Mega Manish" in spite of being 3D and not being about Mega Man at all. Or maybe even go for the Splatoon demo.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Spelling Mitsake posted:

If you don't buy it, there will be no Mega Man Legends 3.

Technically correct is the best kind of correct

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Gammatron 64 posted:

Honestly, what I want to see is a new 3D Mega Man shooter that takes a lot of influence from Vanquish and Kid Icarus Uprising. Both of those games struck me as feeling very "Mega Manish" in spite of being 3D and not being about Mega Man at all. Or maybe even go for the Splatoon demo.
Isn't that sort of what that cancelled Retro game was going to be? I know everyone gave it poo poo for being dark and weird for MM but the gameplay sounded kind of cool, like a first-person MMX.

EDIT: Err, not Retro. It was Armature.

arcsig fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 9, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

arcsig posted:

Isn't that sort of what that cancelled Retro game was going to be? I know everyone gave it poo poo for being dark and weird for MM but the gameplay sounded kind of cool, like a first-person MMX.

EDIT: Err, not Retro. It was Armature.

They were ex-Retro people so close enough!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ImpAtom posted:

They recently put a bunch of the Mega Man NES games on the Nintendo store and they're doing that none the less!

Now, I can say that I do not understand why it would get a release on 3DS but not the Vita.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Now, I can say that I do not understand why it would get a release on 3DS but not the Vita.

Sony is referring to the Vita as a "legacy platform" so support for it is probably already dropping off. Otherwise I'm sure it'd be there.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Takoluka posted:

Because there's like a total of eight people that own Vitas, and six of them are only interested in visual novels.

Edit: Another thing I think people never consider is the overlap between consoles. There might be 9 million people that own a Wii U for example, but how many of them honestly don't also own either a 3DS, PS4, Xbone, or a PC capable of playing emulated NES games? It's like a fraction of a fraction of a percent.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 9, 2015

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
The guy who said he is the designer said he is doing some HD something for the six games, but what I guess would be way more important is to fix the dodgy collision of some things in Megaman 1, like the helicopter platforms in Iceman's stage. Is there any hope that stuff like that is fixable ?

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

skipThings posted:

The guy who said he is the designer said he is doing some HD something for the six games,

No I didn't.

skipThings posted:

but what I guess would be way more important is to fix the dodgy collision of some things in Megaman 1, like the helicopter platforms in Iceman's stage. Is there any hope that stuff like that is fixable ?

Nope. We are not fixing the games, we are presenting them as they originally were. Actually recreating the games on a source level where we can muck with things is well beyond the scope of this particular project, both creatively and financially.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

TheRedEye posted:

Nope. We are not fixing the games, we are presenting them as they originally were. Actually recreating the games on a source level where we can muck with things is well beyond the scope of this particular project, both creatively and financially.
Thanks, this is ideal for me. I understand fixing the flaws for remakes but if it's a straight port of a game this old I think they should just be left as is. The flaws are part of the original games. I'd prefer not to have a George Lucas scenario.

I mean, I'm still not sure if I'm going to buy this collection when I already have MMAC but it's good to have more options.

arcsig fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 9, 2015

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

TheRedEye posted:

Does this mean the MM1 pause glitch is still in? After all these years I still can't legitimately beat the yellow devil.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Most important question: will the Steam version have collectable cards and emoticons? :megaman:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They could make bank from having a Steam Card of every single robot master, honestly.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's too bad all six games won't be able to have their own card and emote sets, otherwise having all the robot masters as cards/emotes/backgrounds might be possible.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

It's too bad all six games won't be able to have their own card and emote sets, otherwise having all the robot masters as cards/emotes/backgrounds might be possible.

I could only imagine the hell it would be to get a foil badge of that set.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

J-Spot posted:

Does this mean the MM1 pause glitch is still in? After all these years I still can't legitimately beat the yellow devil.

Yes, it does mean that it's back in (I think it was broken in Anniversary Collection?). In the button config menus we had to make a special case just for "MM1 Pause".

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I'd heard from somewhere that they completely recoded the Nintendo MM games for the non-Nintendo versions of the Anniversary Collection because Nintendo would have flipped out at the prospect of an NES or SNES emulator for the PS2 or Xbox, and in doing so fixed the MM1 pause trick. Is that no longer an issue, or am I just full of poo poo, or what?

I thought that would have also explained the load times in the Playstation release of Chrono Trigger.

A good poster fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 10, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A good poster posted:

I thought that would have also explained the load times in the Playstation release of Chrono Trigger.

Nah. The reason for that is actually really stupid. It's a result of the really dumb way they did the English patch for those games.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah. They pulled that poo poo with Darkstalkers.

That said if you are pissed off that they are re-releasing the old Mega Man games you might be a crazy person.

Oh, it's good it's getting a re-release, but I'd rather see a complete re-release, like the ones we got before -- some of us liked Megaman 7 and 8.

It doesn't matter anyway because the series is loving dead and this is Capcom kicking a dead robot horse in the hopes more energy pellets fall out of it. It's purely a nostalgia franchise at this point, and soon it won't even be that.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's no way there won't be a new tie-in game to coincide with the cartoon.

Do it the way Sega will, neat idea.

just terrible execution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

TheRedEye posted:

No I didn't.

Oh well I guess someone else did and I misrememberd, should've checked, sorry v:shobon:v
I would've totally bought it if that poo poo was fixed though, thanks for the answer anyway