Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Welp, Cobaltstreak's 205-game streak as Eden has been ended by The Haunt. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Just had an amazing Eden run.

Started with the pony and 10 bombs. Across the rest of the run I found flame tears, pyromaniac, and eventually epic fetus. If I remember right, the treasure on the first or second floor is chocolate milk, and pyromaniac is on depths 2.

Full disclosure: This is on a file with RPG, so no guarantees on what you'll find if you don't have that.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

QuantaStarFire posted:

Welp, Cobaltstreak's 205-game streak as Eden has been ended by The Haunt. :v:

My best streak so far with Eden (and Azazel when I run out of tokens) is 7. Go me.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I came back to Rebirth today because I wanted to kill some time, and decided I'd waste it on trying to get some runs in with the Lost. Couple failed starts later, I spot a Curse room, say gently caress it and walk in. Find 9-lives, woo hoo, kill the spiders and grab it and go! And then I find Holy Mantle in the treasure room.

I'm thinking this is it, this is the run where I finally win as the Lost! Despite eating a tears down pill that tanked my DPS, I manage to make it down through a couple of floors without dying, got Krampus as my first devil room and he dropped Krampus's Head which I am at first very disappointed about, but soon extremely happy I grabbed because it allowed me to kill the Fallen when it showed up in the catacombs (blew a couple of lives from poor play) netting me Whore of Babylon! Hell yeah, damage and speed is always good- oh gently caress, an Angel Room?

I walk in and it's Sacred motherfucking Heart! Bunch of damage, homing tears and one of my final treasures is Oujia board for letting me safely park my rear end in some rooms. I get to Mom and she's red verision, I blow a bunch of lives because I'm dumb and let her stomp on me after random tears knock my mantle off.

Whatever, keep trucking through Womb, last boos room item is Torn Photo to solve my lack of tear rate up! I proceed to get through Mom's heart, the cathedral and into the chest!...

Where I die to double super greed because I'm a total scrub at this game. But it felt like a real accomplishment because I got so far, even if I do know it was because of that absurd 1st floor item combo.

I go to take a look at character select to bask in the glory- wait. The icons aren't red.

I had been playing on normal. :negative:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Afterbirth update

Lilith. Besides the fact she has no tears, no hints as to how she plays. She starts with 3 new items.

New odd-shaped rooms.

And more Tumblr tags that look kind of like YouTube addresses. 2LTeNvx and cjumz??

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

IMJack posted:

And more Tumblr tags that look kind of like YouTube addresses. 2LTeNvx and cjumz??
Where are you seeing these tags?
youtube ids always have exactly 11 characters

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

They aren't imgur addresses either.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
could they be seeds for the new expansion?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

SaffronKit posted:

I had been playing on normal. :negative:

I've done that with the boss rush once :smith:
"gently caress yeah, here's D100! But where's Godhead? Oh... :suicide:"

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Cephalocidal posted:

That really needs to be a middle finger Conquest is tossing your way.

Best idea in the thread by miles.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The new character has no tears? Then she better has some good starting items. The no-tear challenges are generally horrible.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hyphen-ated posted:

Where are you seeing these tags?
youtube ids always have exactly 11 characters

These are Tumblr tags/keywords. They're hidden when you're looking at the page, but you can find them by looking at the page source and Ctrl-F "keyword". I only saw them because I follow isisaacdead on Tumblr and I see the tags on the dashboard view.

This week: "cjumz??, 2LTeNvx, dont read this"
Last week: "jzfK"
Nothing unusual 2 weeks ago.
Update #7: "1cM8h59"
Update #6 (Monstro mash): "ly/1HaR53K, get lost"
Update #5 (Mega Update): "florian hates women!"
Nothing in update #4
Update #3: "ly/1G2H45w"
Nothing out of the ordinary before that.

Edit: Some (all?) of these are bit.ly addresses. The one from update 3 goes to a Google search "how do I turn into Mom". The one from week 6 goes to an evangelical video on YouTube, "The Godhead Explained". From update 7 is an early picture of an L-shaped room in the editor. But the one from this week isn't valid...

IMJack fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 9, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IMJack posted:

Afterbirth update

Lilith. Besides the fact she has no tears, no hints as to how she plays. She starts with 3 new items.

New odd-shaped rooms.

Uuuugh, a no-tears character. I hope her items are not loving awful because no-tears runs are the worst.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think it's fine that there is a no tears character because it'll play completely differently than every other one. It may not end up being fun to most, but it will allow for a completely different playstyle that some people might enjoy.

You'd think she'd get something special that makes her usable though, like how Azazel is the only one in the game with the short Brimstone laser and a lot of things are useless with it but he still manages to be incredibly powerful anyway.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think it's fine that there is a no tears character because it'll play completely differently than every other one. It may not end up being fun to most, but it will allow for a completely different playstyle that some people might enjoy.

You'd think she'd get something special that makes her usable though, like how Azazel is the only one in the game with the short Brimstone laser and a lot of things are useless with it but he still manages to be incredibly powerful anyway.

I'm also curious to what degree the "no tears" aspect will be override-able. From what I recall, there's certain items that don't effect/modify Azael's brimstone (range ups in particular, if memory serves) but stuff like Epic Fetus will still overwrite it entirely.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I'm also curious to what degree the "no tears" aspect will be override-able. From what I recall, there's certain items that don't effect/modify Azael's brimstone (range ups in particular, if memory serves) but stuff like Epic Fetus will still overwrite it entirely.

Range ups totally effect azazel, and we already know what overwrites the blindfold (it's nothing)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Probably get more buddies than normal or something.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lilith is the "mother of monsters" so a buddy-centric playstyle is likely.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I swear to god if Lilith is familiars only I will never touch her nor unlock her items. gently caress that. I said the same with the Lost, RPG just isn't worth that bullshit

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
A no tears character could be fun but currently Rebirth gives items that primarily affect your tears. Sounds like Azazel again with lots of item room and devil deal items that are worthless to you.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Xeras posted:

A no tears character could be fun but currently Rebirth gives items that primarily affect your tears. Sounds like Azazel again with lots of item room and devil deal items that are worthless to you.

So she starts with a follower that's Mongo Baby but copies the player's tears instead of another follower? It'll have to be something.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
There's always gnawed leaf + sac dagger.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

senae posted:

Range ups totally effect azazel, and we already know what overwrites the blindfold (it's nothing)

I guess I should have phrased it "I wonder if her blindfold will work differently then the challenge blindfold (in that it can be overwrote in the right circumstance or tears items will somehow provide some kind of benefit)"

because

Xeras posted:

Like 99% of the reason I don't feel the least bit guilty about cheating the Lost runs with the dead cat glitch is that The Lost is a terrible character because so many items literally do nothing and that's not a loving compelling way to create a challenge.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

If Lilith is a familiars-focused character maybe she starts with an item that lets familiars scale with your stat-ups, ie pentagram will make your familiars do more damage, coat hangar makes them shoot faster etc so less wasted items

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

She should start with BFFs. She won't, but she should.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Ferroque posted:

If Lilith is a familiars-focused character maybe she starts with an item that lets familiars scale with your stat-ups, ie pentagram will make your familiars do more damage, coat hangar makes them shoot faster etc so less wasted items

Do you actually believe this with the poor way they are "fixing" the lost?

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Xeras posted:

Do you actually believe this with the poor way they are "fixing" the lost?

That's just because of ed's weird fixation on the lost being the "truly hardcore" character, separate from the rest of the cast

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Spectral tears will go a long way towards fixing The Lost, especially if you can snag a Death's Touch. Of course, then your D4 is going to roll it away, and/or you're going to get into a room with no obstacles and the nightmare will begin anew.

Ferroque posted:

That's just because of ed's weird fixation on the lost being the "truly hardcore" character, separate from the rest of the cast

Yeah, I don't get it. It's not "hardcore" to design a character that ignores 90% of your game's items, it's a bad design, but for whatever reason Edmund doesn't seem to understand that in regards to The Lost. If he wanted to make The Lost a unique addition, these items would still provide a benefit to The Lost in some capacity, just not in the same way it does other characters. Like, let The Lost convert health up items into a random stat up so he has a reason to pick up Dinner/Super Bandage/Breakfast/etc instead of just leaving it. Let Soul Hearts/Black Hearts provide the Holy Mantle effect/damage up for the current floor so that he has a reason to keep bombing tinted rocks once he has The Small Rock. It'd be more interesting and give The Lost more options to play with instead of resetting 100+ times and hoping that this time, THIS TIME, this is the run that let's you make it out of the Basement/Cellar.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Tyrone tweeted a teaser of him working on the leaderboards:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What's the over-under on voluntary damage sources like sacrifice rooms and blood banks taking your score for the first couple of weeks after release?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why wouldn't they take your score? It becomes part of the trade-off, lose points in the short term in hopes of making it up with what the blood bank lets you buy or what the demon beggar spits out.

Taking damage to save time.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Ariong posted:

What's the over-under on voluntary damage sources like sacrifice rooms and blood banks taking your score for the first couple of weeks after release?

I will be really surprised if they dont gently caress that up, not necessarily all of them but at least one or two.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I'm with IMJack, damage is damage.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I suppose it depends on how many points you lose for each half heart compared to how many points you lose for each second. My worry was that the health penalty would not make up for the time saved, so one would want to avoid those sources of health loss. It would make the point system a poor measure of the player's skill if one had to avoid using good strategies in order to get a good score.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Man as cool as a system like that would be, the BOI Leaderboards will inevitably fill up with people using Cheat Engine to give them Emperor Cards, a bunch of good items, permanent invincibility, and do it all while playing as The Lost.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Skunkrocker posted:

Man as cool as a system like that would be, the BOI Leaderboards will inevitably fill up with people using Cheat Engine to give them Emperor Cards, a bunch of good items, permanent invincibility, and do it all while playing as The Lost.

Pretty much. I mean, it'll be cool if you can compare your scores against your friends and stuff, but the larger community leaderboard is going to be rife with people hacking to give themselves impossible scores and junk.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Spectral tears on The Lost is both good and bad because on the one hand you can hide in rocks and poo poo, but on the other hand you can't push enemies away anymore. I don't really like giving him the D4 either since a big problem with The Lost is how random the game can be, and the D4 is just a random full reroll. It could help or make things worse and there's not much you can do about it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
IANAP But can't they get the game to generate a checksum (to ensure the files are unmodded) before submitting a score to leaderboard?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Oberleutnant posted:

IANAP But can't they get the game to generate a checksum (to ensure the files are unmodded) before submitting a score to leaderboard?

This has stopped pretty much no game that has had online leaderboards from being jacked up from people who will hack or cheat. Not that I give a poo poo because score based dick waving hasn't appealed to me in a long rear end time. I am just excited about having dev seeds to play each day and to compare to other goons running them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Spectral tears on The Lost is both good and bad because on the one hand you can hide in rocks and poo poo, but on the other hand you can't push enemies away anymore. I don't really like giving him the D4 either since a big problem with The Lost is how random the game can be, and the D4 is just a random full reroll. It could help or make things worse and there's not much you can do about it.

You can still push enemies away. They're not piercing, just spectral.