Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez

Soulex posted:

It more than likely is. It wasn't that high whenever I bought my other car with them. I've never heard of penfed, I use USAA right now.

According to USAA's rate sheet (not sure how well this link will work) https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/bank_loan_auto_main?wa_ref=pub_global_products_bank_auto 60 month used auto loans under $15k are 4.25% with a .25% discount with auto pay. It has to be an unsecured loan at that rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

IRQ posted:

Buying a used Audi is a bad idea.

I'd sort agree but 20-40k isn't that many miles.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It will still be under warranty for a couple of years too.

There's a bunch of other cars within that range I would check out first before either of those, starting with the Civic Si and the Jetta GLI naturally, but also the Buick Verano.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Ended up finding a (I think) killer deal for a 20-3 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport with 16k miles for 14,500. My loan ( it was acting weird, and an agent helped me out) ended up with an APR at 3.9 so it worked out in the end.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

It will still be under warranty for a couple of years too.

There's a bunch of other cars within that range I would check out first before either of those, starting with the Civic Si and the Jetta GLI naturally, but also the Buick Verano.

Those are the same size and great suggestions but just aren't my style.

On another note...

1) Is there expected to be big market shift once Telsa release the Model-3 and Lexus a upgraded ct200h?

2) What about self-driving cars in 2020?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 6, 2015

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't know about any new Tesla models, isn't the S the one that's out right now? Why would a new CT200h change anything? It's a hybrid Corolla, no one is buying them right now, I can't imagine what they could do with a new model that will cause any big market shifts.

Cars will become more autonomous sure, but full autonomy is pretty far in the future IMO, for one thing the curret crop of sensor based cars still can't do things like drive in the rain.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't know about any new Tesla models, isn't the S the one that's out right now? Why would a new CT200h change anything? It's a hybrid Corolla, no one is buying them right now, I can't imagine what they could do with a new model that will cause any big market shifts.

Cars will become more autonomous sure, but full autonomy is pretty far in the future IMO, for one thing the curret crop of sensor based cars still can't do things like drive in the rain.

That was a mistake on part I put the Model-S instead of Model-3. I was under the impression the ct200h is a nicer Prius?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tab8715 posted:

That was a mistake on part I put the Model-S instead of Model-3. I was under the impression the ct200h is a nicer Prius?

It's a Prius without most of the benefits of buying a Prius.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Soulex posted:

Ended up finding a (I think) killer deal for a 20-3 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport with 16k miles for 14,500. My loan ( it was acting weird, and an agent helped me out) ended up with an APR at 3.9 so it worked out in the end.

I assume you meant 2013. I do not think this is a good deal, as the Outlander Sport brand-loving-new starts at 20k prior to any negotiation. Mitsu will also give anyone on God's green earth zero percent financing.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
General question reference new vs used as it relates to Hondas --

With the (lack of) depreciation on Honda vehicles, is it possible or even worth it to attempt to find a one or two model-year older Honda versus just buying new and taking advantage of whatever incentives are there at the time?

I'm heavily looking into getting out of my truck (gas waster, hardly used as a truck, blah, blah, blah), and into something 'appropriate' for my real-world usage of a vehicle, primarily commuting and occasional car trips. I was looking at the new '16 Chevy Volt, but am getting major resistance at both my apartment complex about installing a 240v in my garage, as well as at my employer despite city incentives to employers. But the '14-'15 Honda Accord Hybrid looks pretty drat nice, especially in a loaded Touring. (I do a poo poo ton of pre-dawn and post-sunset driving with crappy deer infested roads, so getting the Touring for the LEDs is a major 'want').

Seems like low-mileage HAHs are almost as much as new ones though. Inventory (new and used) is low as well, so I considered even placing an order for a '16 once they open them up in a couple months. It would be a 'keeper car', so I don't mind the ~5 year break-even point on investing in the hybrid. I've never owned any Honda/Toyota/Nissan, but it sure seems like when treated right they keep on going......

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Throatwarbler posted:

Yes the folding seats give you more space than most other cars in the same category, but it's still a tiny car with a short wheelbase. Folding up the seats isn't going to help with rear passenger legroom, and 118hp vs ~170hp isn't nothing.

I've test driven a Ford Focus and a Honda Fit, and the Fit actually had a more spacious back seat.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
It's time to help one of my friends buy a new car again, because apparently people like asking me about this poo poo constantly!!

Proposed Budget: upper limit ~35k give or take a bit, after options. less is better, feel free to suggest cheap cars.
New or Used: Either, but most likely new
Body Style: Compact, 4 door preferred but 2 door is fine
How will you be using the car?: Short city-driving work commutes, grocery getter etc. It specifically needs to be a no-fucks-given car; she's selling her luxury sports coupe because it's too nice to park in the city and consequently she never uses it. Should be bland enough that no emotional loss is felt if it ends up hit & run while she's at work or something.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) She specifically does not want a luxury car this time around.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety -> Reliability -> Handling -> Power. No luxury cars. Bland. She would greatly prefer if it was available with factory blind-spot warnings or other active safety features. She greatly prefers RWD and AWD to FWD, but at the very least it should have a sporty feel. Oh she wants automatic too.

Already eliminated: Honda fit, ford mustang, ford focus, ford fiesta, any lexus, bmw 1/2/3 series, hyundai elentra, hyundai genesis, kia optima
Cars she's liked so far: 2016 WRX, fiat 500x (blech), BMW i3, Mazda 3

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 7, 2015

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Mazda 3 would be a good choice, came very close to buying one myself. It ticks about all the options you want. Get the sport version if she wants more power and is willing to spend, or base to save.

Alternatively Prius for more reliable but also more boring.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

It's time to help one of my friends buy a new car again, because apparently people like asking me about this poo poo constantly!!

Proposed Budget: upper limit ~35k give or take a bit, after options. less is better, feel free to suggest cheap cars.
New or Used: Either, but most likely new
Body Style: Compact, 4 door preferred but 2 door is fine
How will you be using the car?: Short city-driving work commutes, grocery getter etc. It specifically needs to be a no-fucks-given car; she's selling her luxury sports coupe because it's too nice to park in the city and consequently she never uses it. Should be bland enough that no emotional loss is felt if it ends up hit & run while she's at work or something.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) She specifically does not want a luxury car this time around.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety -> Reliability -> Handling -> Power. No luxury cars. Bland. She would greatly prefer if it was available with factory blind-spot warnings or other active safety features. She greatly prefers RWD and AWD to FWD, but at the very least it should have a sporty feel. Oh she wants automatic too.

Already eliminated: Honda fit, ford mustang, ford focus, ford fiesta, any lexus, bmw 1/2/3 series, hyundai elentra, hyundai genesis, kia optima
Cars she's liked so far: 2016 WRX, fiat 500x (blech), BMW i3, Mazda 3
If one wants a car they can give 0 fucks about, they should always buy used. That worry about the first door ding or scratch on a new car is rough.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

nm posted:

If one wants a car they can give 0 fucks about, they should always buy used. That worry about the first door ding or scratch on a new car is rough.

she's a rich tech yuppie type who wouldn't be caught dead in a ~old car~ so I've given up on suggesting anything used that is more than a year or two old. also seems like a lot of non-luxury stuff is just starting to get active safety features which are a big deal to her, ex: she's only interested in the wrx because it got blind spot detection in 2016

personally i agree with you 100%

are cvt's still poo poo in terms of reliability? seems like they're in almost every car she's been gravitating towards, and my impressions of them are entirely based off of early first-gen ones which were undeniably poo poo.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 8, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Various Volvos might fit the bill.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

she's a rich tech yuppie type who wouldn't be caught dead in a ~old car~ so I've given up on suggesting anything used that is more than a year or two old. also seems like a lot of non-luxury stuff is just starting to get active safety features which are a big deal to her, ex: she's only interested in the wrx because it got blind spot detection in 2016

I thought these people had enormous prius boners? That aside, it's the perfect car for boring bland no-fucks-given driving anyway.

Clandestine!
Jul 17, 2010
Proposed Budget: Up to 25k.
New or Used: Doesn't matter.
Body Style: Hatchback pref. 4 door car would also work.
How will you be using the car?: I do a decent amount of travelling and will be looking at a 30 min highway commute during the work week. I don't have a family and I don't really haul a lot of poo poo around.
What aspects are most important to you?: FUEL ECONOMY, reliability, safety. I live in Canada, so it should be able to handle icy/lovely conditions.

I had a 2012 Ford Fiesta that I really liked (had to sell it a few years back) and I've liked the Toyota Matrixes as well. What would be best? Do Fiestas age well? There's a cheap 2012 Fiesta ($9800) listed locally that I'm interested in.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I want a "Zaurg Get A Divorce" gif but that says "Buy A Prius" instead.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm envisioning a Blingee gif with a Prius with some sick azz rimz bumpin and maybe warren buffet smokin a big blunt on one side and weezy on the other side making it rain?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Cool get on it then?

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
My dad's friend is selling a 2008 bmw 328i convertible with 26k miles for 10000. I am going to go look at it in a few week. Opinions/things to look for?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm envisioning a Blingee gif with a Prius with some sick azz rimz bumpin and maybe warren buffet smokin a big blunt on one side and weezy on the other side making it rain?

:effort:

You got what you asked for, my gif is the prius of buy a prius gifs.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

JohnGalt posted:

My dad's friend is selling a 2008 bmw 328i convertible with 26k miles for 10000. I am going to go look at it in a few week. Opinions/things to look for?

Look for a Prius.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What's the benefit of these over the Honda Fit? I test drove a bunch of hatchbacks, and while they all drove pretty similarly, the flexibility of the interior of the Fit was a huge bonus. It's like a damned minivan back there with the seats folded down.

We actually ended up with a 2015 Fit. It wasn't eating it's own transmission or shedding parts on the highway so it worked.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Proposed Budget: 20K

New or Used: Does not matter

Body Style: 2-4 door

How will you be using the car?:Super long commute. 180 miles a day - 99% highway. Would like close to or over 40 mpg.

What aspects are most important to you? MPG. I am 6'2" so I need to fit in it.

Starting new job in July. Going from 5 mile day commute to 180. Will have to sell my current car (20 mpg.)

I will learn to drive standard if needed.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

euphronius posted:

Proposed Budget: 20K

New or Used: Does not matter

Body Style: 2-4 door

How will you be using the car?:Super long commute. 180 miles a day - 99% highway. Would like close to or over 40 mpg.

What aspects are most important to you? MPG. I am 6'2" so I need to fit in it.

Starting new job in July. Going from 5 mile day commute to 180. Will have to sell my current car (20 mpg.)

I will learn to drive standard if needed.

Either find a Prius you like, or if you're willing to tolerate some repairs and less reliability in general, the best TDI Golf you can find.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What would be a worrisome amount of mileage on a used Prius.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

euphronius posted:

What would be a worrisome amount of mileage on a used Prius.

I probably wouldn't buy a Prius with more than 300,000-ish miles, but that's just me. If your commute is all highway you can even get one with a dead battery and use that to negotiate the price down a ton! Batteries are cheap to replace now anyways.

Don't be afraid of ones in the 150-200k range, they're rock solid.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you kidding. Those are tons of miles!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

euphronius posted:

Jesus christ. Have you considered renting a room near your job?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

euphronius posted:

Are you kidding. Those are tons of miles!

Go on autotrader, select "Over 200,000 miles" and you'll see lots of vehicles in excellent shape. If you're going to be putting 180 miles per day on a car, you want to do it to a car that's already high mileage. You could also just buy a new economy car and drive the poo poo out of it, my Boss's 6 year old Lexus has 190k miles.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

New or Used: Used

Body Style: Small SUV (coming from an Escape), or a sedan that can handle the winter well.

How will you be using the car?: Mostly smaller commutes (work commute is 10miles), I tend to be hauling around gear at times so extra space helps (music gear, random things for home improvement/other projects, I've used the space in my Escape a LOT). I sometimes take short trips (Boston->Philly, Boston->NH) as well. No family, just the GF and I.

What aspects are most important to you?: Something that can handle snow/ice well (I live in Boston and don't want to go back to dealing with a sedan in the snow unless it's 4WD), so 4WD as well, better gas mileage is a plus. Something that is comfy for me to sit in (6'1"). If it's a 4 cylinder then one that still has decent pickup and doesn't feel like I'm pushing it just getting on the highway.

I am considering a used Escape, CR-V, or CX-5. Anything I should be leaning towards or anything else I should be considering? I will be test driving a lot of things as this is not something I need to get right away.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Jesus christ. Have you considered renting a room near your job?

Nah I'd miss my kids too much.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Go on autotrader, select "Over 200,000 miles" and you'll see lots of vehicles in excellent shape. If you're going to be putting 180 miles per day on a car, you want to do it to a car that's already high mileage. You could also just buy a new economy car and drive the poo poo out of it, my Boss's 6 year old Lexus has 190k miles.

What do you mean by "new economy car".

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

booshi posted:

New or Used: Used

Body Style: Small SUV (coming from an Escape), or a sedan that can handle the winter well.

How will you be using the car?: Mostly smaller commutes (work commute is 10miles), I tend to be hauling around gear at times so extra space helps (music gear, random things for home improvement/other projects, I've used the space in my Escape a LOT). I sometimes take short trips (Boston->Philly, Boston->NH) as well. No family, just the GF and I.

What aspects are most important to you?: Something that can handle snow/ice well (I live in Boston and don't want to go back to dealing with a sedan in the snow unless it's 4WD), so 4WD as well, better gas mileage is a plus. Something that is comfy for me to sit in (6'1"). If it's a 4 cylinder then one that still has decent pickup and doesn't feel like I'm pushing it just getting on the highway.

I am considering a used Escape, CR-V, or CX-5. Anything I should be leaning towards or anything else I should be considering? I will be test driving a lot of things as this is not something I need to get right away.

Crosstrek XV?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

euphronius posted:

What do you mean by "new economy car".

I mean you have basically 2 options with a $20k budget and ~35,000 miles / year annual drive.

1. Get an already high mileage higher trim very fuel efficient car (Prius 4 or 5, TDI VW) and keep adding miles to it. Slower depreciation, potential for repair costs if you get a VW.
2. Buy an economy car and drive it a ton. You'll eat much faster depreciation and burn more gas. Good options for someone who drives a ton would be a base-ish Mazda 3, a manual transmission Ford Focus, or a Honda Fit.

You only listed "MPG" as a concern, but if you're thinking about saving money you also have to think about depreciation, insurance premiums, and maintenance / repair costs. You can't really go wrong with a Prius, but $20k doesn't get a Prius new.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thank you that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

euphronius posted:

Nah I'd miss my kids too much.

If you're working 8 hour days, and also driving for three+ hours every day on your incredible commute, you're gonna miss your kids a lot. Also, dinner.

One thing I will say to add to what the other guys said: make sure whatever car you get is super comfortable for you to sit in.