Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The movement and combat is clunky as hell in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Also giving the gem to radovid's witch hunters was such a bad idea. I was all for helping him catch her since she's an evil poo poo but he believed a group of bumbling idiots over a seasoned witcher.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

radiatinglines posted:

The movement and combat is clunky as hell in this game.

Understatement of the month right here.

Grapplejack posted:

Also giving the gem to radovid's witch hunters was such a bad idea. I was all for helping him catch her since she's an evil poo poo but he believed a group of bumbling idiots over a seasoned witcher.

Witch hunters are property of Novigrad, aren't they? The stupid cult of the eternal fire is HQ'd in Novigrad, right? They have their own temple guard, who also police Novigrad itself. Does Radovid employ his own witch hunters who happen to look exactly the same as the ones employed by the CotEF?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Grapplejack posted:

Well if they're bumbling idiots what does that make you lol :smugbert: I did the same thing.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Igni is still good because it removes armor for those enemies. Always cast it a few times.

I'm still not sure Melt Armor actually even does anything.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Swedish Horror posted:

Is it ever explained why Radovid goes crazy and starts his witch hunts? Also, what did Phillipa do to piss the entire world off?

If you choose Iorveth's path in W2 you find out that Radovid is a pretty much a monster. As he leaves Loc Muinne he watches people being murdered, mutilated, raped, impaled, and burnt alive, and he stands there smirking with smug satisfaction.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I have a quick, probably dumb question. For all the perks I unlock in the character menu, do they need to be snapped to a mutagen slot to become active? Like if all my slots are sign based, will acquired tolerance not be active? I ask because I couldn't use alternate Igni until I put it in a slot.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Emron posted:

I have a quick, probably dumb question. For all the perks I unlock in the character menu, do they need to be snapped to a mutagen slot to become active? Like if all my slots are sign based, will acquired tolerance not be active? I ask because I couldn't use alternate Igni until I put it in a slot.

Yes they do, which means you can only have 12 active perks no matter how many points you have spread around. I find that means that min/maxing your build is the only realistic way to go, which makes you a powerhouse eventually. I've been leaning heavily on Sun & Stars but now that Quen regenerates my health I'm thinking I don't really need it anymore.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e: bah nm

Pick the hardest difficulty then get mad that the combat isn't holding your hand.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 9, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Understatement of the month right here.

Witch hunters are property of Novigrad, aren't they? The stupid cult of the eternal fire is HQ'd in Novigrad, right? They have their own temple guard, who also police Novigrad itself. Does Radovid employ his own witch hunters who happen to look exactly the same as the ones employed by the CotEF?

The Eternal Fire got kickstarted in Temeria, but after attempting to storm Vizima and getting gutted by Geralt and Foltest, Radovid saw a useful tool to nurse his sorceress grudge and gave them room to breathe in Redania. Novigrad is "free" but is basically a Redanian puppet state. Even if it wasn't, the war effectively makes it such. Ergo, Eternal Fire gets free reign.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Big Bidness posted:

If you choose Iorveth's path in W2 you find out that Radovid is a pretty much a monster. As he leaves Loc Muinne he watches people being murdered, mutilated, raped, impaled, and burnt alive, and he stands there smirking with smug satisfaction.

That happens in either path if you don't rescue Triss. (When you rescue Triss she places the blame entirely on Sile, instead of the Letho and the Nilfgaardians blaming the Lodge of Sorceresses as a whole).

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm still not sure Melt Armor actually even does anything.

I don't think most monsters actually have any armor just massive hp wells. It seems to up damage against people and earth elementals.

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 9, 2015

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Yes they do, which means you can only have 12 active perks no matter how many points you have spread around. I find that means that min/maxing your build is the only realistic way to go, which makes you a powerhouse eventually. I've been leaning heavily on Sun & Stars but now that Quen regenerates my health I'm thinking I don't really need it anymore.

poo poo, I've had griffin, sun and stars, and the vitality one for 14+ levels without using them.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Bro just get good. Sorry the game won't let you hit every single time from any distance. You can 'choose one' just close the distance. You don't need a ruler, just learn how far he'll go and successfully connect. Yeah other comes will teleport you closer or help you out, that doesn't mean all games need to.

Sorry but this just reads like someone playing Starcraft 1 and being mad that they don't know how far a siege tank will shoot.

And as far as the whole softlock yeah it's a bit finicky sometimes but 90% of the time if you tap the direction you want to attack that's the direction he goes. I can bat multiple things away fairly easily while working over my main target by doing that.

Alright, the combat system is a feature.

What's the pro way to swim around underwater?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Swimming is just kinda frustrating and you have to get used to it

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Wiseblood posted:

That happens in either path if you don't rescue Triss. (When you rescue Triss she places the blame entirely on Sile, instead of the Letho and the Nilfgaardians blaming the Lodge of Sorceresses as a whole).

Ah, I always save Triss because it makes the most sense from a role playing perspective. No matter what the stakes are, Geralt always seems like he would pick saving one of the handful of people he actually cares about.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

radiatinglines posted:

Alright, the combat system is a feature.

What's the pro way to swim around underwater?

Move the camera to turn. Don't touch the 'a' or 'd' except for in very specific circumstances. That applies to just regularly moving around, too.

You can loot things from a pretty decent distance, you don't need to swim right up to the crate or whatever.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Emron posted:

poo poo, I've had griffin, sun and stars, and the vitality one for 14+ levels without using them.

You still have to put points into skills you won't use just to unlock the later levels, but eventually you can buy potions to reset your skills and go full points with the skills you actually use.

It seems like a lot of people here are maxing the Potion tree to great effect, does anyone want to talk about their build? I've been funneling points into Igni and Quen and while it's super useful in the wild, it's a lot harder to use in some of the scripted battles where you have to fight a huge mob in a tiny space.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

You still have to put points into skills you won't use just to unlock the later levels, but eventually you can buy potions to reset your skills and go full points with the skills you actually use.

It seems like a lot of people here are maxing the Potion tree to great effect, does anyone want to talk about their build? I've been funneling points into Igni and Quen and while it's super useful in the wild, it's a lot harder to use in some of the scripted battles where you have to fight a huge mob in a tiny space.

Griffin spec (medium armor boosts sign intensity) and sun/stars aren't in a branch though, they're in that weird mutagen class. Respeccing sounds good to me at this point--are there a limited number of potions to do so available in the game?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Everybody mad about keybaord movement controls knows that gamepads are USB now right?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Swimming kinda sucks with a gamepad, too

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yeah, I've been using my 360 controller.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Swedish Horror posted:

Is it ever explained why Radovid goes crazy and starts his witch hunts? Also, what did Phillipa do to piss the entire world off?

I don't know if this is specific spoilers but I'll err on the side of caution. Definitely key points from W2.

Phillipa is about as evil and ambitious as they come and from the very first moment she gets her hands on power (and this is well before the games, even) she has plans to acquire more and more. Taking Iorveth's path in W2 basically has her admit at one point that she, through the Lodge, wants to rule the entire North from the shadows both through destabilizing the power structures in the north and by secretly taking over the new "free" nation that Saskia is setting up in Vergen. In W2, while Sile is the one to recruit Letho for the first assassination on Demavend but it's Phillipa's plan from the start to solidify power behind the scenes.

For Radovid specifically, Phillipa is implicated in the death of his father the previous king and Radovid gets to spend his formative years watching her subvert his rule through clever manipulation and embarassing him whenever possible. He grows up hating and distrusting Phillipa specifically, which expands to all mages and then to anyone he finds halfway suspicious; Loc Muinne was probably a tipping point when it's "revealed" that there was a Secret Mage Conspiracy to kill some/all of the northern kings and take power for themselves through the restoration of the Conclave. That this conspiracy isn't as extensive as he believes doesn't really matter. The cracks in Radovid's psyche started early and by the time W3 rolls around he's well into paranoid crazytown.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Meiteron posted:

I don't know if this is specific spoilers but I'll err on the side of caution. Definitely key points from W2.

Phillipa is about as evil and ambitious as they come and from the very first moment she gets her hands on power (and this is well before the games, even) she has plans to acquire more and more. Taking Iorveth's path in W2 basically has her admit at one point that she, through the Lodge, wants to rule the entire North from the shadows both through destabilizing the power structures in the north and by secretly taking over the new "free" nation that Saskia is setting up in Vergen. In W2, while Sile is the one to recruit Letho for the first assassination on Demavend but it's Phillipa's plan from the start to solidify power behind the scenes.

For Radovid specifically, Phillipa is implicated in the death of his father the previous king and Radovid gets to spend his formative years watching her subvert his rule through clever manipulation and embarassing him whenever possible. He grows up hating and distrusting Phillipa specifically, which expands to all mages and then to anyone he finds halfway suspicious; Loc Muinne was probably a tipping point when it's "revealed" that there was a Secret Mage Conspiracy to kill some/all of the northern kings and take power for themselves through the restoration of the Conclave. That this conspiracy isn't as extensive as he believes doesn't really matter. The cracks in Radovid's psyche started early and by the time W3 rolls around he's well into paranoid crazytown.

Yes, the reason for Radovid's insanity and subsequent witch hunts can probably be directly attributed to Philippa. She is not a Good Person.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Emron posted:

Griffin spec (medium armor boosts sign intensity) and sun/stars aren't in a branch though, they're in that weird mutagen class. Respeccing sounds good to me at this point--are there a limited number of potions to do so available in the game?

That doesn't mean they're useless though. If you're running a Signs build, you definitely should have Griffin Techniques equipped.
And about the potion of clearance

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Regarding skills, I'm not sure if it's a bug or not but some of mine have the gold 'equipped' border around them even when they're not actively slotted, and I can still use their effect, notably for the alternate modes for signs, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6yT5IzizwU

PS4 version if it makes any difference.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Aishan posted:

Regarding skills, I'm not sure if it's a bug or not but some of mine have the gold 'equipped' border around them even when they're not actively slotted, and I can still use their effect, notably for the alternate modes for signs, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6yT5IzizwU

PS4 version if it makes any difference.

I've noticed that on mine too (also PS4), didn't think anything of it. If I can use alt signs without having to equip them, I'm definitely continuing with the signs build :getin:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

http://thewitcher.com/news/view/1059

There was a contest for artwork, winners are cool wallpaper material.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

alex314 posted:

http://thewitcher.com/news/view/1059

There was a contest for artwork, winners are cool wallpaper material.
The grand prize winner has Geralt using a steel sword against a werewolf. :colbert:

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Yes, the reason for Radovid's insanity and subsequent witch hunts can probably be directly attributed to Philippa. She is not a Good Person.

There is no single character I wish I could kill more than Phillippa. I don't think any single person is responsible for more deaths in the witcher universe than she is.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Broken Cog posted:

Hell for a perfect encapsulation of this when you run into Philippa in Wild Hunt her very first reaction to Geralt is assuming he's there to kill her, and Geralt is not the kind of guy who runs around killing sorceresses without good reason.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
While we're talking about Sorceress', who was the one that gets burned to death on a pyre in Novigrad? Her description makes out she was a big part of the Witcher 2 but I honestly couldn't remember her.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is there a way to kill Phillipa

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

While we're talking about Sorceress', who was the one that gets burned to death on a pyre in Novigrad? Her description makes out she was a big part of the Witcher 2 but I honestly couldn't remember her.

Barber (Barbesse?) and peddler in Vergen.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Emron posted:

Respeccing sounds good to me at this point--are there a limited number of potions to do so available in the game?

Don't know whether they're limited or not but there's one that's "missable", one in Novigrad and two guys with 5 each in Skellige. 1000g each.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ooooh right, I never met her. :v:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I didn't even realize Geralt knew her, whoops.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

The 1.05 patch seems to have fixed the romance "bug" where if you didn't explicitly tell Triss "I love you" but still slept with her and completed Yennefer's quest, you no longer get the awkward threesome scene that locks you out of romance with both of them and instead you end up with Yennefer. I previously beat it on 1.04 and got an ending I didn't really like, so I just finished it again last night post 1.05 and the romance ending seemed to have changed. This doesn't seem to be documented in the patch notes, so I had to share somewhere.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

dyzzy posted:

I didn't even realize Geralt knew her, whoops.

You get an entry about her on the character page when you see the scene in Novigrad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Ugato posted:

Don't know whether they're limited or not but there's one that's "missable", one in Novigrad and two guys with 5 each in Skellige. 1000g each.

I just read that link, and I definitely murdered my way out of the first one. Oh well, there's others!